Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What do you girls think about guys with guns?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MrFication
Msg: 643
view profile
History
What do you girls think about guys with guns?Page 26 of 28    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28)
Interesting perspective from some of the posters here. I know a few people that have their lives revolve around guns and even other pro-gun people think they are a little out there. I also know plenty of people, women included that carry....most of the mindset 'better to have and not need, than need and not have'. I very rarely carry one with me when out, but if I have to go through certain areas or at certain times...feel it makes sense. The area I live in has a real problem with methamphetamine, and as far as I can tell that drug creates zombies by removing the human from within. The state usually doesn't start to try to rehab the users until too late. So there are many sketchy characters and law enforcement is strung thin, with long response times. Unfortunately it seems to be more reactive than proactive, and although it is extremely safe, there are plenty of incidents affecting all walks in all areas.
 AintNoDeal
Msg: 644
What do you girls think about guys with guns?
Posted: 1/29/2011 10:28:01 PM
I went on two dates with a woman whose ex-husband was an avid hunter. After the second date I saw the inside of her home. On the walls, every 5 feet, was the head of some animal -- all sizes -- North American wildlife - no lions or tigers, but there may have been a bear or a cougar. There was rabbits and birds and jackalope perhaps an old dog stuffed and sitting by the fireplace as a hat rack.

And the carpets were...well...y'know, there were no carpets, only animal skins. And the furniture was all leather with fur accent pillows. And the ceiling had been accented with wood beams to get that "mountain lodge" look.

I didn't see the bedroom or garage...I suppose there would be 10 freezers full of bigfoot burgers and the like....

....nah, it didn't work out. Funny thing is she said she absolutely HATED all that animal stuff on the walls. I asked how long the ex-hubby was EX, and she said over a year. I asked her why she didn't take down all those animal heads on the very first day?

I'm guessing either I exposed her in a lie (maybe she killed all the trophies?) or mayhaps she felt dumb at still staring at stuff she hated when she could have taken it down.

I dunno --- never saw her again. I can only assume the ex-hubby came back to mount her.
 damassteel
Msg: 645
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2011 5:55:28 AM
This thread is a great example of how attitudes about many things, guns included, differ around our country. Easterners tend to be absolutely shocked at how matter of fact folks in various other parts of the US. treat firearms. My Mom has DOZENS of guns and is constantly browbeating me about getting a license so the state won't take them when she passes. I've seen a gal here on the forums (a popular poster too!)in her profile pic posing with a rather sizable .44 long barrel revolver; no one has even mentioned it to my knowledge!! perhaps people are assuming it's a prop, or a joke.(the pistol is REAL).
Go to places like the pacific N.W. midwest, southwest; folks(men and women) walking around fully armed is just a fact of life.
 niagara45
Msg: 646
Posted: 1/30/2011 7:22:59 AM
Guys with guns....don't impress me much.
 Welsh474
Msg: 647
Posted: 1/30/2011 8:18:22 AM
I'm with the gal from Australia, us Canadians don't have the fondness for guns like the folks in the U.S Different attitudes about the whole thing.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 648
Posted: 1/30/2011 8:23:46 AM
My boyfriend is an ex-marine and he has guns.

There is a difference, though, between people (not just men) who own guns and those whose lives are possessed by guns. It is the same type of difference between a balanced person and a obsessive fanatic.
 blueceleste
Msg: 649
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2011 2:17:35 PM
guys with guns? look like another timothy mcveigh waiting to happen again no thanx! i never liked men with guns too creepy
 Pixy Dust
Msg: 650
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2011 7:24:16 PM
I don't think I want to see a man holding a gun in his profile picture... I realize men that hunt, I've seen guns... they have their place but not in a picture meant to impress me.... I guess that is the Princess in me showing...
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 651
Posted: 1/31/2011 9:44:22 PM

guys with guns? look like another timothy mcveigh waiting to happen again no thanx! i never liked men with guns too creepy

McVeigh blew up the building with a GUN?

WOW, I didn't realize a gun could do that!

Such ignorance!
 REDDRAGON.
Msg: 652
Posted: 1/31/2011 10:55:04 PM

Such ignorance!

misinformed is putting it mildly it doesn't take a gun to make a nutball.

it's so silly it's not even worth arguing constructively.

so much for common sense.

to each their own guns or no guns.......
 Telfordshrops
Msg: 653
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2011 1:28:16 PM

Such ignorance!

Such ignorance indeed......... but the ignorance was displayed by yourself!

Have you never looked at McVeigh's background? The fact that he was morbidly obsessed with guns must have had something to do with his ultimate act of violence.

From various sites on the internet:-

"McVeigh was introduced to firearms by his grandfather and became increasingly fascinated by them. McVeigh told people he wanted to be a gun shop owner and sometimes took firearms to school to impress his classmates. McVeigh became intensely interested in gun rights after he graduated from high school"

"In 1993, he drove to Waco, Texas during the Waco Siege to show his support. At the scene, he distributed pro-gun rights literature and bumper stickers, such as "When guns are outlawed, I will become an outlaw." "

"By the time his mother left the family, McVeigh had already developed a facination with guns. "

"took on a series of short-term jobs ranging from gun salesman in a sporting goods store"

"began espousing increasingly angry views of U. S. foreign policy, gun control"

"began a rootless road life that included selling weapons at gun shows "

"By the time he was in junior high school, an early interest in guns had become an obsession"

" it caused little stir when Tim, at 10, became interested in guns. But a close relative said that the family saw this as a bid for attention by a boy who didn't know how else to ask for it. "

"He loved wearing a uniform and carrying a gun. The co-worker, who asked not to be named, viewed McVeigh as gun-obsessed. He said he once came to work wearing bandoliers laden with deer slugs, "looking like Pancho Villa." He owned a semiautomatic AR-15 rifle, handguns and a semi-automatic Desert Eagle so large he had trouble wrapping his bony hands around it. "

"I asked him why the Army, and he said, You get to shoot.' He always wanted to carry an M-16."

The guy was totally obsessed with weapons, doesn't that tell you something?
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 654
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2011 1:56:51 PM
^^^ you are committing a fallacy of causation. the relevant info about mcveigh was that he's a murderous psychopath. many murderous psychopaths have an interest in guns, but having an interest in guns does not turn anyone into a murderous psychopath.
 matchlight
Msg: 655
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2011 8:51:12 PM
^^^^^Very well said--right on the mark. BTW, did you get that out of Aristotle's list of logical fallacies? I saw a copy one time, and he described ones I'd never ever seen or thought of.

Lots of people are interested in guns for target shooting. I'm not a very good shot, but it's fun anyway. Very cheap, too, if you stick to .22's.
 Telfordshrops
Msg: 656
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2011 2:07:32 AM
Having an interest in guns is a very American thing and, in the vast majority of cases that's not a problem........ there's nothing wrong with having a hobby after all.

Being British I have been brought up in a different culture where we view guns with suspicion and anyone having an intense interest leading to an obsession would ring very loud alarm bells with me.
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 657
Posted: 2/3/2011 2:14:37 AM
^^^^^^ .....Maybe we should pass a LAW against obsessions/obsessing!
 MsMicki
Msg: 658
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2011 5:23:34 AM
How's that saying go.....
If guns cause violence, then pencils cause misspelled words
 Consigliori
Msg: 659
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2011 3:04:17 PM
My spouse came from a non-gun background and it took some time for her to become accustomed to the concept of owning and using guns. My job brings me into conflict with all kinds of people and over the years I’ve become more sensitive to security. Eventually my wife came to see the same way. Although we are gun people I think your best protection is a level head and a good dog.
 recreator611
Msg: 660
Posted: 2/3/2011 3:20:23 PM
Guns are tools....not sure I would want to be on a dating sight with one in a picture but everyone has their qurks....
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 661
Posted: 2/3/2011 4:59:43 PM
~OT~ Oddly, the last three of the last 4 men I've dated were all packers. Two police officers and one concealed weapons permit instructor. I didn't think much about it with any of them. It just was what it was ~ their norm. JMO
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 662
Posted: 2/3/2011 6:06:44 PM
^^^^ Most don't make an issue of it... I don't pack but am in process if getting a CCW. My bouncer job had become high profile in the last few months, with me being the face telling gang bangers and bikers they're not welcomed. It's just smart for me to make sure I make it home safely in case anyone decides to wait for me... which has happened, fortunately they weren't packing....yet!
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 663
Posted: 2/3/2011 10:00:27 PM
Ive never understood the whole gun thing myself, living in Canada, but then Ive heard some of the gun owners reasons why they are packing, I guess to them is better to be judged by 12 vs carried by 6 if something were to happen.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 664
Posted: 2/4/2011 6:49:27 AM
I've never understood the whole gun thing either. I know some people need them
for their jobs and I know some people hunt and like to target shoot, I've just never
been one of those people.

I've also never felt threatened enough or worried about my safety to want to carry
a gun, but I'm sure there are people who think that's naive. Not sure I'd like it if the
day were to come when we all have to carry guns to feel safe; visions of the wild wild
west come to mind.

To each their own. I don't mind people owning guns, I think they're a lot like penises and religion. It's okei to have one, it's okei to be proud of it, just don't whip it out in
public and wave it around and don't try to push it in my face.

RushLuv
Msg: 665
Posted: 2/4/2011 8:38:26 AM
Law enforcement carry concealed weapons, and I think absolutely nothing of them.

Men carrying guns in general, huummm.....if it's just some guy carrying a gun in his home either just because, or for self defense purposes....I'm not sure how I'd feel about that.

Men that are hunters carry guns either way, and I don't seem to mind that.

Shall I stop beating around the bush now? I don't mind men with guns just as long as the weapon is registered, and they don't plan to use it on me.
 Consigliori
Msg: 666
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2011 10:24:11 AM

Being British I have been brought up in a different culture where we view guns with suspicion and anyone having an intense interest leading to an obsession would ring very loud alarm bells with me.

There is line there somewhere. I worked in Israel for a time a couple of decades ago. The farmer - kibbutznicks I worked with often carried sidearms in the field. And even though there was an (arguable) reason for them to pack, some of them seemed to carry weapons more for status reasons, or to make a personal statement than for safety. I see the same psychology with some folks here in the States and it makes me nervous.

I own guns for fun, and owning guns makes me sleep better at night although the reality is probably that it creates new and additional risks. I am personally familiar with one instance where a handgun was critical to a home defense situation and my job puts my family at higher risk of attack, but practically speaking, when the dog barks I go downstairs with a maglite and the guns stay in the cabinet. I suspect (and hope) most gun owners are the same way. From a home-defense perspective, that makes the guns more of a liability than an asset and the security “benefit” is largely psychological.
 surfver
Msg: 667
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2011 4:36:21 AM
I would not post a picture of myself with a gun on a dating website if I owned one, which I don't .. I just doubt it is a good way to attract women.

In actuality however, governments and military ops have killed more people than anyone ever has or will. Some people will argue religion, but the church is not out there trying to take people's rights to own a gun away on the one hand and killing people on the other.

Here is a podcast episode by some liberal college students on Oklahoma City bombing. There is a great deal of evidence that it was a false flag operation. Skip over the intro which may ramble on a good deal:

http://www.uga.edu/wuog/podcasts/outthere42.mp3
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What do you girls think about guys with guns?