Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 stephanie888
Msg: 303
What do you girls think about guys with guns?Page 4 of 28    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28)
I think the question should be worded more like:
Do girls like guys who post a pic of them holding up a gun on a dating site?

I don't care if a guy has a gun, that's not a problem with me at all.

Now if he takes a pic of himself holding it up and chooses to post it as a way to introduce himself to me and other woman as a potential date....well, then I'd think he's trying to send a message, and I'd probably pass.
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 304
What do you girls think about guys with guns?
Posted: 6/9/2009 7:58:49 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

People should be as honest as possible about themselves.

I'm real - and I am honest. I get emails even from anti-gun girls because they respect my transparency.

I think that people should just be themselves.
 stephanie888
Msg: 305
Posted: 6/9/2009 8:02:38 PM
Well geez I have guns too but don't need to post myself posing with one. What kind of message does that send to a date?
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 307
Posted: 6/9/2009 8:22:41 PM
Yeah...

I really don't like to advertise my martial stuff... because I feel like it sends the wrong message to people who don't know me, or makes me look like I'm trying to be a "bad boy"...

But I can kill your average man with my bare hands in a few seconds. I've been doing martial arts for 13 years. I can throw a steak knife from across a room ... accurately.

Guns are not dangerous. People are. I've seen many criminal types in "gun battles" walk away without a scratch. People who have never been around guns have no idea what kind of skill it takes to actually hit anything with a pistol. Your average US soldier is more dangerous than an insurgent because of -TRAINING-, not gear or technology.

I can honestly say I know men who are far more dangerous with a pair of pruning shears than any mutt could ever be with a glock 9.

I know some truly, truly dangerous people. These are people who could kill you, make it look like an accident, and nobody would be the wiser.

The fear of guns is totally irrational. I don't fear guns - I fear people. What is more dangerous? A man with a gun in his home, or some old man driving around while drunk in a Buick? What is more dangerous - a woman who keeps a gun in her nightstand in case of a break in, or a woman who drowned her own children in the tub and hid the bodies in a garbage can?

People are evil. Guns are not. Every country that has banned guns has suffered a dramatic upsurge in crime. Sometimes gun-relate crime. Just google it.

I have a pic of me with a gun in my profile because it's one of my hobbies. Someone who hates the ideas of guns would not like to hang around me.

It's simple.
 aSydneyMale
Msg: 308
Posted: 6/9/2009 9:12:37 PM

I know some truly, truly dangerous people. These are people who could kill you, make it look like an accident, and nobody would be the wiser.

And why would you want to be anywhere near these psychopaths? Your hobby is firing deadly weapons, you've deliberately sought to learn the the skills required to murder somebody? I don't get it.

People are evil. Guns are not. Every country that has banned guns has suffered a dramatic upsurge in crime. Sometimes gun-relate crime. Just google it.

The stupid old bumper sticker 'guns don't kill people, people kill people' is bogus, guns only have one purpose: to kill, animals, birds, people, whatever, they are designed and made with the purpose of killing.

Contrary to your statement, most people are not evil, maybe in the circles you move, but not in the circles I do, and I've traveled all over the world. Maybe I just choose not to hang out with psychopaths?

After the Port Arthur massacre in 1997, all sides of politics in Australia united behind the Prime Minister in support of much tighter controls on gun ownership, in particular relation to semi automatics and handguns. The overwhelming majority of the population supported it and hundreds of thousands of weapons were handed in and destroyed. There was no dramatic upsurge in crime and the murder rate (which is absolutely miniscule compared to the US) did not spiral out of control.

I'm quite happy to live in a society where the chances of me having my head blown off are decidedly remote, I'm sure there are plenty of people in America who would like to be in the same position.
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 309
Posted: 6/9/2009 9:42:03 PM
Google. It. Aussie.

Seriously. Propoganda does not = truth.

I would rather live in a country where I can take safety into my own hands any day.

The cops are only minutes away when you need them in seconds.

Additionally, who said anything about dangerous people being psychopaths?

Being deadly takes -training- and -commitment-. How many FBI agents do you know who just start killing people willy nilly?

The fact that you would dispairage someone for taking up arms and walking a warrior path makes you look weak and pathetic. I served with some Australians in Afghanistan, and I was proud to know them. They were men I respected.

I hate to break it to you, but guns are not going away. The world is a dangerous place. At least with guns, I have the same power as a wacko or government who tries to take my life or my freedom.

You wouldn't get it. We Americans kicked the ass of an entire super power country in the 1700s. We were a bunch of farmers armed with old technology. We were outnumbered. But we were Americans and we were mad as hell.

Some crazy bombers had the gall to attack some of our ships during world war 2. We glassed two of their cities.

Some crazy terrorists had the gall to blow up a couple of our skyscrapers. After that, every soccer mom in the US would have murdered a Taliban soldier with a butcher knife.

I live in a violent country - but that violence translates into innovation and power. My country is still one of the greatest super powers in the world, and could single handedly destroy the planet - causing nuclear winter. My country sets trends all over the world - both good and bad. My country sets the bar for both entertainment and war on a global scale.

Your country has... kangaroos. And a big assed hole in the ozone layer.

I'll take living in my country with the "fear" of "having my head blown off" any day when you compare the pros and cons between the two.

Additionally - I am still not quite sure what you don't get about people being dangerous - not guns. The twin towers were destroyed because of some dudes with box cutters.

Box cutters.

Think about that.

PS

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, there was a slight drop in the percent of murders committed with a firearm between 2001 and 2007 (16.0% and 13.4%, respectively). However, the percentage was highest in 2006 (16.3%) and remains higher than the low of 8.9% in 2005. There is no difference in the use of a firearm in robbery: Guns were used in 6.4% of all robberies in both 2001 and 2007.

In 2002–five years after enacting its gun ban–the Australian Bureau of Criminology acknowledged there is no correlation between gun control and the use of firearms in violent crime: “The percentage of homicides committed with a firearm continued its declining trend since 1969.”

Even the head of Australia’s Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research, Don Weatherburn, acknowledged that the gun ban had no significant impact on the amount of gun-involved crime:

There has been a drop in firearm-related crime, particularly in homicide, but it began long before the new laws and has continued on afterwards. I don't think anyone really understands why. A lot of people assume that the tougher laws did it, but I would need more specific, convincing evidence …

There has been a more specific … problem with handguns, which rose up quite rapidly and then declined. The decline appears to have more to do with the arrest of those responsible than the new laws. As soon as the heroin shortage hit, the armed robbery rate came down. I don't think it was anything to do with the tougher firearm laws.

Weatherburn also acknowledged that the best crime measure consists of “the arrest of those responsible.”

Moreover, Australia and America both experienced similar decreases in murder rates: Between 1995 and 2007, Australia saw a 31.9% decrease; without a gun ban, America’s rate dropped 31.7%.

Now for the rest of the story

During the same time period, all other violent crime indices increased in Australia: assault rose 49.2% and robbery 6.2%. Sexual assault–Australia’s equivalent term for rape–increased 29.9%. Overall, Australia’s violent crime rate rose 42.2%. At the same time, U.S. violent crime decreased 31.8%: rape dropped 19.2%; robbery decreased 33.2%; aggravated assault dropped 32.2%. Australian women are now raped over three times as often as American women (whom ABC reports are arming themselves at record rates because of safety concerns):

More women, from soccer moms to professionals like the ones at the Blue Ridge Arsenal gun range in Chantilly, Va., are packing heat for sport, self-empowerment and protection.

While this doesn’t prove that more guns would impact crime rates, it does prove that gun control is a flawed policy. Moreover, for groups like Peace Movement Aotearoa, it’s apparently social justice when more people are raped, robbed, and assaulted, as long as they cannot defend themselves with firearms. This highlights the most important point: Gun banners promote failed policy irregardless of the consequences to the people who must live with them.

References

Violent crime rates compiled from Australian Bureau of Statistics and U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation sources. Email request for Excel workbook.

Conclusion : Prohibition has never worked for anything throughout the course of human history.
 aSydneyMale
Msg: 310
Posted: 6/10/2009 12:07:22 AM

The fact that you would dispairage someone for taking up arms and walking a warrior path makes you look weak and pathetic.

Thanks for the insult. You know nothing about me.

Your country has... kangaroos. And a big assed hole in the ozone layer.

You know nothing about my country either if you reduce us down to a narrow stereotype.

Also Googled some interesting FACTS of my own:

FACT: In 2006, there were 1,036 gun deaths in the state of Illinois, a 1.6% increase from 2005 Illinois gun deaths 1019. The 2006 Illinois gun deaths included 625 homicides (60% of all IL gun deaths), 372 suicides (36% of all IL gun deaths), and 24 unintentional shootings, 4 legal intervention, and 11 of undetermined intent (4% represents for all IL gun deaths).

(Numbers obtained from CDC National Center for Health Statistics mortality report online, 2009.)

FACT: In 2006, there were 30,896 gun deaths in the U.S: 12,791 homicides (41% of total deaths), 16,883 suicides (55% of total deaths), 642 unintentional shootings (2% of total deaths), 360 from legal intervention (1.2% of total deaths) and 220 from undetermined intent (.8% of total deaths).

(Numbers obtained from CDC National Center for Health Statistics mortality report online, 2009.)

FACT: In 2006, incidents of gun murders, gun suicides, and unintentional shootings in Illinois killed 154 children and adolescents ages 19 and younger, a 18% increase from the 2005 total of 130 in this age group. Nationwide for 2006, gun violence killed 3,218 American children and teens ages 19 and under, an increase of 6.3% from the nationwide 2005 total of 3,027 this means that in the U.S. an average of 9 young people are killed each day by guns.

FACT: While handguns account for only one-third of all firearms owned in the United States, they account for more than two-thirds of all firearm-related deaths each year. A gun in the home is 4 times more likely to be involved in an unintentional shooting, 7 times more likely to be used to commit a criminal assault or homicide, and 11 times more likely to be used to attempt or commit suicide than to be used in self-defense.

(A Kellerman, et al. Journal of Trauma, August 1998; Kellerman AL, Lee RK, Mercy JA, et al. “The Epidemiological Basis for the Prevention of Firearm Injuries.” Annu.Rev Public Health. 1991; 12:17-40.)

FACT: A gun in the home increases the risk of homicide of a household member by 3 times and the risk of suicide by 5 times compared to homes where no gun is present.

(Kellerman AL, Rivara FP, Somes G, et al. “Suicide in the Home in Relation to Gun Ownership.” NEJM. 1992; 327(7):467-472)

FACT: Despite popular belief, young children do possess the physical strength to fire a gun: 25% of 3-to-4-year-olds, 70% of 5-to-6-year-olds, and 90% of 7-to-8-year-olds can fire most handguns.

(Naureckas, SM, Christoffel, KK, et al. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, 1995.)

FACT: 48% of gun-owning households with children do NOT regularly make sure that guns are equipped with child safety locks or other trigger locks.

(Peter Hart Research Associates poll, 1999.)

FACT: 59% of students in grades six through twelve know where to get a gun if they want one, and two thirds of these students say they can acquire a firearm within 24 hours. (Harvard School of Public Health.)

FACT: Comparison of U.S. gun homicides to other industrialized countries:

In 2004 (the most recent year for which this data has been compiled), handguns murdered:

* 5 people in New Zealand
* 37 people in Sweden
* 56 people in Australia
* 184 people in Canada
* 19 people in Japan
* 73 people in the UK
* 11,344 people in the United States

- Provided by the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 311
Posted: 6/10/2009 8:44:53 AM
::eye roll::

We could go all day back and forth on this crap.

Either way, a knee jerk, emotional reaction is a knee jerk, emotional reaction.

I'm going to choose to drop this argument. Nobody is going to change anyone's mind and it'd just hijack the thread.

That said.....

CHICKS HOLDING GUNS ARE HOT!
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 318
Posted: 6/10/2009 1:40:59 PM
men who think violence is acceptable, glamorous or necessary.

You've never been a man. And you can't fight armed, violent people with words. Ever try reasoning with a terrorist? I have. Didn't work. I'm glad I was wearing armor.

Pro-filer.... I respect your idealism, but idealism is only possible in a civilized country where there is a buffer of brave men and women who have volunteered their lives and to some extent their freedoms to protect that civilization.

Just like on the playground there will ALWAYS be bullies, and the best course of action for them will always be to physically fight back....

There will always be bullying countries too.

While I agree with you that there is no -reason- for war... there never really has been. Yet we human beings keep cheerfully killing each other.

I choose to live in the real world. My life experiences in the real world have taught me that there are people who want to harm me and mine due to what I have, the color or my skin, my nationality, or even my religion.

To not acknowledge that this is the reality at hand, and choose to basically LIVE in one's idealism is intellectually lazy. I do not believe that is what you are doing.... more voicing your irritation that the world is the way it is.

Am I right?

PS - just like everything else, this is a highly personal preference. My gun ownership has never interfered with my dating. Not ever. I dated a girl who was rabidly anti gun before. I asked her why it was ok that I owned guns - even carried ones in my daily life.

She responded, "Well for you it's ok, because you're different."
????

I believe that anti-gun folks (at least some) are like racists. When you confront them with an individual of a certain race they supposedly hate, they can and will treat that person with respect and genuinely like them. When you mention the race as a whole, they spout venom and hate.

I've never understood this behavior, but I think we all know or have known someone like this in our lives. Most anti gun folks I've met seem to fit this mold too.
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 319
Posted: 6/10/2009 1:52:40 PM

"But I can kill your average man with my bare hands in a few seconds. I've been doing martial arts for 13 years. I can throw a steak knife from across a room ... accurately."

Shit man... can I be your friend? lol

I've started taking Practical martial arts myself. Only been a few weeks but yeah they teach you how to do some pretty cool stuff... Plus my instructor is a pretty cool guy to boot.

Good for you!! As any real martial artist knows, the most dangerous weapon that any of us can carry is our mind.

True power, or being dangerous is a way of thinking, and a capablity in the mind. Not the ablity to jump and do fancy kicks. In fact, most of those fancy kick you see in movies will get your legs broken and possibly get you killed against a real martial artist.

A real fight is over in seconds. Whether it be a duel with fists, swords, knives, guns, or words.

;)

Dance was created as a way to practice battle. We humans are a strange sort of creature. We always seem to achieve the most wonderful, beautiful things out of the ashes of the most evil we are capable of as a species.
 thecheekychick
Msg: 320
Posted: 6/10/2009 2:17:09 PM
I don't care if a guy has guns.. But if he flashes them around he is clearly not mature enough to have them!
 MWood76
Msg: 321
Posted: 6/10/2009 9:43:55 PM
I don't mind guns at all. I work with that type of stuff, so for me its a plus. Its our 2nd amendment right anyway. I don't hold with all that PC crap anyway....
 gerry38
Msg: 322
Posted: 8/12/2009 5:39:47 PM
Well, If Law-Enforcement persons should be the only people to own firearms, then that makes all the rest of us "immature and stupid"...Eh? Wow, what a way of thinking?
 gerry38
Msg: 323
Posted: 8/12/2009 6:07:11 PM
If guns are so BAD, then why do cops need 17-shot Glocks with extra-clips ....I can remember when cops used to have 6-shot revolvers and knew how to shoot them properly... Are you really going to feel safe "hating" guns so much?
 jacintos
Msg: 324
Posted: 8/12/2009 9:28:49 PM
I'm not remotely attracted to guns. Unless the guy is like...a cop, I don't really want 'em around me.
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 326
Posted: 8/13/2009 6:47:45 AM
^^^ That's because girls shooting or holding guns is hot!

Power is sexy.

Female martial artists are also very attractive.

Men are just like women. Most of us find power to be very alluring.

-8sf8
 mascot1
Msg: 327
Posted: 8/13/2009 10:57:09 AM
I'll answer this for my sister and myself :

Guys with guns, same with guys that may not start a fight, but will definitly finish it= Sex On Legs!!

its just HOT!
simple as that, makes me glad I don't date hippy p*ssies anymore.

I mean, theres 'reasonable force' and if that happens to include guns then so be it. Some people act beyond reason, welcome to life. (haha) I know although a perfect world is ideal, in reality, is not quite attainable.

For 8soldierfalcon8: I can throw a guess out there on why one of your past dates was anti gun but for you it didn't bother her...because women have a sense on who is threatening. She didn't see you holding her hostage in some terrorist takedown...or as just some hick with a gun.....so it was as that sexy gunman, instead of what else I stated..

ladyc4
Msg: 329
Posted: 8/13/2009 5:42:01 PM

A real fight is over in seconds. Whether it be a duel with fists, swords, knives, guns, or words.

I respectfully beg to differ. I've seen battles of wits between unarmed participants drag on for weeks in these forums.
I believe I've posted to this thread before...hunting and guns/bowhunting are part of the culture here. It would be strange if I held gun ownership against a guy, since I own a couple of long guns myself. I don't use them much anymore, but I kkep thinking I WILL get downstate during deer season and go hunting with my nieces. I'm still not sure about Mindy's PINK gun...
Cindy O
 HazelRose
Msg: 330
Posted: 8/13/2009 5:53:22 PM
What do I think about guys wit guns? Things that make you go "hmm". Can he shoot (I want venison tonight), does he have a permit (better, cause I hate getting pulled over for looking like a known felon), and does he have a rapsheet (damn it, again I am with a known felon, curses!)? If all 3 Q's can be answered satisfactorily, then I don't mind. Since I know how to use firearms and knives, he might as well, too.
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 333
Posted: 8/14/2009 5:59:42 AM
I think I am going to take a new picture holding a gun....

While shirtless.

... I'm actually halfway serious.

It'd be fun.

-8sf8
 MelloDLyn
Msg: 336
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2009 10:30:17 AM
I went to meet a guy and later he opened the back of his suv and it was full of all kinds of high powered rifles and guns! Then he showed me he had one on his leg all nite and one on his hip! That was the end of that one!
 Pirna
Msg: 337
Posted: 8/16/2009 12:35:39 PM
As long as your legal i'm ok with it. It's your 2nd Am. Right!!! I now carry a pistol just about everywhere I go. I never had a reason to have one unitl I had my life threatened a couple years ago by an ex convict. When he was released he came home to live with his mom which was next door. Apparently he didn't get much rehab while he was in there for 7 years. They were evicted not too long after I got my pistol, & thankfully I didn't have to use it on him but wouldn't hesitate to if put in that situation.

I just went on a shooting date with someone here on POF after only talking with her for about 4 days. She has her own pistols & shotgun likes to shoot skeet etc. there wasn't any problems with either one of us having guns. I asked her if she thought a shooting date would be a good idea for a first meet she didn't have a problem with it.
In fact it was her idea.

I think most people who have problems with guns are just ignorant ! I don't mean your stupid but ignorant to the safety aspects of firearms etc. it's not the gun it's the person!
Guns don't kill people!!! People Kill people !!! It's not the gun, it's what you do with it !!!
 Pirna
Msg: 338
Posted: 8/16/2009 1:36:58 PM
To anyone who thinks guns are a problem.

Who do you think will defend this country if we are invaded and the majority of our troops are overseas??? It will have to be us, " sportsman, hunters, or just property owners defending theirselves", if you have the guts. And if you think i'm nuts for thinking we could get invaded you better think back real hard. Sept 11th & even before that, there have been attacks here.
There are even more people here now due to the shape the economy is in that are buying up American business, & property for little to nothing that do not like Americans. Probably because we have more than just Sand & Oil here.

USA, it's "The Land of Milk & Honey" folks & a lot of people want to take it from us.

I don't live in the worst neighborhood but don't live in the best either but even if you do live in Carmel or Geist or Noblesville don't think for a minute you're exempt from crime. If you are not prepared you will be a victim for sure. So why not give yourself some help by excercising your 2nd Amendment right?
I will not go down as a victim who did not at least try in one way or another to defend myself.

Up until now I haven't adertised the fact that I like to shoot guns on my profile but will now. It's not a bad thing anyway, you have the right to defend yourself & your property. It's not a bad thing that people own guns. More people are killed by cigarettes every day than bullets by far.
 cheerilystrawberry
Msg: 340
Posted: 8/16/2009 7:41:33 PM
I personally have nothing against a man with firearms.

And the prospect of him getting me a pink handgun for my birthday is much higher. Now THAT's romance.
 DaveInMableton
Msg: 341
Posted: 8/17/2009 1:56:58 AM

What do guys think about women who have guns?.....mastermarksman no less?

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >