Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > abuse of authority      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 romanticoptimist
Msg: 287
abuse of authorityPage 13 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
Not that I wanted to preset such a simplistic POV, but yes, generally, illegal drugs are a Bad Thing and those who sell them are doing a Bad Thing, and generally Police Officers are a Good Thing and what they do is a Good Thing. As to your questions...will thier actions in beating the suspect, after the fact, resulting in possible technacalities ,an abuse of their authourity?.That's two questions. The first? Did they? Evidence? The second? I have no idea. How about you?
would cameras be beneficial?
Probably. How discrete and small, out of the way, and non-interfering would they be? Would they endanger the officer or interfere with him/her normal operations in any way? How much would they cost? How would they transmit? Would that be secure?
 susan_cd
Msg: 288
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/20/2008 9:30:08 PM
Humans are not animals. That's why we call ourselves "humans".

We are animals, just that we use more tools than other species.... and maybe the other animals call themselves something else too.

The "rights" I referred to are "inherent", "self-evident". They exist. They just "are" -- and they are prior to any recognition, awareness, or agreement to protect or recognize them.

What are these "self evident" rights? And I bet any right you can present won't be recognized as a "right" by some group.
 susan_cd
Msg: 289
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/20/2008 9:34:29 PM
so this anderson dude on jubilee that shot the cops, do you think if the cops had not beat the crap outta him, the appeal wouldn't have a leg to stand on?

Well, the mistake they made was not blowing his dang head off at the house; but the a-hole saying he was defending himself was bee ess; hands up, how many people here keep a shotgun & ammunition in their bathroom in case of home invasion?

If I remember correctly, the anderson dude lost a cpl fingers in the shoot out; if the cops weren't gonna use lethal force they should have at least taken him to the station & booked him ( taking their time) and only taken him for medical treatment afterwards ( and after a nice donut break).

If anyone has a general beef with the police and their conduct, then feel free to call your local drug dealer instead of 911 when there's an emergency; thus avoiding the nasty ole policeman.....
 romanticoptimist
Msg: 290
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/20/2008 11:17:01 PM

The "rights" I referred to are "inherent", "self-evident". They exist. They just "are" -- and they are prior to any recognition, awareness, or agreement to protect or recognize them.

What are these "self evident" rights? And I bet any right you can present won't be recognized as a "right" by some group.
As stated previously. You can bet all you want and it won't change a thing. Like I said they're rights without regard to agreements. Or assent. I'd give you real world examples but I really don't think they'll make any difference. We probably should just agree to disagree. If that works for you (it does for me).

susan_cd
Msg: 291
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/21/2008 12:10:51 AM
I don't mind disagreeing ( if everyone agreed with everything it'd be a boring world), but I noticed you didn't ( or couldn't) list a few of these "self evident" rights as examples

This should probably be a thread of it's own.
 ur_addiction
Msg: 292
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/21/2008 4:36:40 PM

ehhhh!!!! frickkkkkkk..............cops always abuse their authority............no if ands or buts about it!

NO cops dont ALWAYS abuse their authority. so everyone should stop raggin on cops and saying they are ALL the same.

As for the person who shot the cop...Ummm I dont know details at all so I can say anything about this really. What happend?
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 293
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/21/2008 5:52:42 PM
ever been questioned by a cop where they thought you were a suspect?...............
 romanticoptimist
Msg: 294
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/21/2008 10:33:30 PM
Yup. It went well I think. A bit tense but not even the hint of a nightstick upside the head. Then again, I tend to lead with , "Good evening Officer. How can I help you ?" and "Sure. Here's my driver's license. Will that do?" I find it leads to clearer communication than, "F@ck You PIG!!!!!!!!" But that's just me.
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 295
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/21/2008 11:02:47 PM
and who would start off with f u pig?.............unless the cop is abusive to begin with but whenever i have been in contact with the police i have always been polite only to have it degenerate with unprofessional attitudes on their parts........course some ppl are just better than others and so much more refined i guess.............
 susan_cd
Msg: 296
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/22/2008 9:34:44 AM

Then again, I tend to lead with , "Good evening Officer. How can I help you ?" and "Sure. Here's my driver's license. Will that do?" I find it leads to clearer communication than, "F@ck You PIG!!!!!!!!" But that's just me.

Reminds me of an incident with me & a couple friends driving across the border into the US for a weekend of shopping etc.

Just so you know,when the US customs officer asks :

"Any firearms in the vehicle?"

A really bad answer is "I'm not sure."

My friend had been hunting a couple days earlier, and when asked wasn't 100% sure all the rifles were removed from the truck; he didn't wanna say no and then have them find one if they searched the vehicle, and didn't want to say yes and not be able to produce the weapon, so he answered honestly
 ur_addiction
Msg: 297
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/22/2008 5:06:13 PM

ever been questioned by a cop where they thought you were a suspect?...............

No I havent but I still know just like Everyone out there there are GOOD and BAD ppl. Good cops and bad cops, cant say they ALL are bc thats NOT TRUE! Seems to me you got something agianst cops:P ????

And I was a smart ass at the border once. when my friends and I were going to the USA, he asked... "Have any of you been finger printed before?" My friends replied "no", I replied "not that I remeber".....Then he asked "well Have any of you been arrested, you would remeber that woudlnt you?...Friends replied "No" I replied, "No, well unless..." and before I could make a smart ass comment about being drunk I saw the look on his face and I shut my mouth... "I replied Im jkin" lmao!!!!! Boy my buds were NOT happy hahahaha....But when he let us pass (never search our car or anything) we made eye contact and he gave me a lil smirk :P,,,,HAHA HE LOVED IT! hahah.

Oh and my boyfriend (at the time) was pulled over by like 4 cop cars and had guns drawm at him and his buds bc they were "misiddentified" as 3 guys who had a gun and were terrorissing ppl on portage" The were told to get out on the car , get on thier knees and handcuffed, I think his tall muscular buddy said he got kicked, But im not sure if it was a HARD kick or a kick to move over, which is what they are allowed to do....sooo yaaa, whats you beef man?
 romanticoptimist
Msg: 298
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/22/2008 7:09:03 PM

A really bad answer is "I'm not sure."
Yeah, those US Customs sure take their job very seriously. It's was way before 9/11 that I was crossing with someone I used to do business with, two guys going to a trade show, passports and everything. The Customs dude typed our names into a computer and then came back and asked, "Have you ever been charged with a criminal offence" or something similar. It was unclear who he was asking or even if he meant plural 'you', but the business friend decided a bit of humour was in order and said, "Nothing I didn't get away with." Four hours later we were still waiting to be interviewed. Not funny.

juan: I'm sorry to hear things didn't go so well for you as they did for me. I'm not sure where you got the idea it was about "refinement". Certainly not from me. Maybe you just have an 'unlucky' face.
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 299
abuse of authority
Posted: 3/25/2009 10:22:41 AM
so if you been watching the bc inquiry into the death of the polish amn at van. airport the video has shown a different story than what the officers on duty were telling..........now it is commmon knowledge that eyewitness accounts are not very accurate at the best of times and yet the courts hold an officers testimony in high regaurd compared to a regular citizens.............now would the tetimony of theses officers be believed over eyewitness accounts if the video were not avalilable?............there was the recent tasering of a 15 year old girl, maybe video eveidence would show a differnet story................i myself beleieve it is high time ALL police interaction is recorded for the protection of society so as to weed out the bs and shorten court times.................show of hands for having big brother watched so as to prevent them abusing their authourity.................
 Dudleyh45
Msg: 300
abuse of authority
Posted: 3/25/2009 11:51:50 AM
yes and we should have all public places covered with video surveilance, stores, chuches, malls, theatres, museums,galleries,parks,schools,etc etc.even several wathching sidewalks and streets on each block of the city and intersections in the country also rest areas on the highway. full out protection. i need protection more from john q than from any policeofficermans
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 301
abuse of authority
Posted: 3/25/2009 12:11:58 PM
actually if given the chance the authourities would like to have toatal surveilance..............look at england, the most recorded populace on earth.............as a mtter of fact it was their own surveilance that proved the brazilian electician killed by the police was the downfall of the police chief at the time..............course it took a citizen to blow the whistle................seen this on a segment of 16x9 on tv recently.............and please try to add something constructive instead of the usual call a criminal crap or if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear rhetoric, unless you feel the powers that be should live by the the credo, which means being recorded shouldn't be a problem for them.............
 flyin-high
Msg: 302
view profile
History
abuse of authority
Posted: 3/25/2009 12:37:28 PM
Just as I thought this thread was forgotten… the cops go off and taser a kid.

In defense of the police, they never know who their dealing with, she may have had martial arts training… she could have been the North End version of Bruce Lee with tits.
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 303
abuse of authority
Posted: 3/25/2009 12:43:02 PM
gone but not forgotten...........would've started a seperate thread but the right wing delete nazis are always at work...............and really isn't the use of excessive force an abuse?.............now flying, what's your take on big/little brother surveillance?........always enjoy your take on things, even when your wrong
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 304
abuse of authority
Posted: 5/6/2009 12:50:42 PM
finally it's here and from the same people that tase ya................ http://gizmodo.com/5180317/taser-axon-cops-goes-fp

wonder what the cops will feel like having their supervisor watching every move.........\

still should go along way to clearing up " misunderstandings".................
 printer2
Msg: 305
abuse of authority
Posted: 8/15/2009 8:11:18 AM
I tried to start a new thread but I guess I am not allowed (never knew I was such a naughty boy ) , tried to start another one last week but they do not post for me. This is the closest thread I could find related to what I wanted to post so hear it goes.

Last year I started a new job and found out my old place of employment posted my old position but with a higher top rate of pay (part of the reason I left was I was being underpaid).

One of the things I found odd in the interview was that the HR person said the company (former government institution, still getting government funding) required that I give a supervisor as a reference at my current place of employment. She browbeat me for five minutes as how it was required giving me the impression that I would not be considered if I did not give my supervisor's name and number.

She then said she would only contact them if there was an offer on the table. I relented and gave his name promising I would get back to them with his number. A day later I thought about it and sent them an email they are not to contact him and gave another person in their organization as a reference (gave two people's names already, I worked there for four years).

I think she was out of line asking me to supply my current employer as a reference as it may effect my employment situation where I am right now if I decide to stay. Any thoughts?
 printer2
Msg: 306
abuse of authority
Posted: 8/16/2009 10:41:44 AM
The silly thing was the two people interviewing me was my ex boss and an HR person that I have talked to a number of times. Not like they really needed to find out what kind of person I was.
 Dudleyh45
Msg: 307
abuse of authority
Posted: 8/16/2009 11:18:52 AM
I have thoughts. First if you're looking at finding a different job then don't worry about losing the one you have. If you get harrassed or fired for looking for other work you have a wrongful dismissal case. However if you're looking for other work you obviously are missing something you require in the job you have now and are not satisfied with it.
I don't believe you legally have to give any particular reference when applying for a position ie a particular level of supervisor etc. If they want to push the issue simply get up and leave stating that if they cannot respect your moral objection to naming a certain person that it is an indication you will not be a good fit with their organization.
I have had to walk away from work at a couple of places when it became obvious management expected me to set my values aside to achieve their goal. Don't do it just walk away and never have anything to do with them again, no matter if you lose pay and fall back on your bills and lose everything you gained.
 haywiresue
Msg: 308
abuse of authority
Posted: 8/17/2009 3:09:41 PM
Awwww Steamer, that is kind of mean. Did you and Oops! get all those doors hung? If so, what is your new excuse? LOL.

I know from my HR experience, not all people in an organization get along and over time, this creates problems and reduced work by an employee is a red flag waving. I would never say anything anything negative against an employee as some managers/supervisors have bad attitudes. This is not to say that all workers are good, or have great attitudes, as we all know they don't.

If I was used as a reference for someone who I could not give a good reference due to a personality clash or this person just didn't reach expectations, I would say that this particular employee was not conducive to the company/department's dynamics. It does not say they are a crappy worker, it just says that the fit wasn't right for this particular staff member in this organization. If the person calling pressed, I would say that I would not prefer to comment, as not all people work out in all organizations, and everyone is entitled to earn a living. This was just not as positive of an outcome as both the employee and us had wished for.

Now if someone was let go due to missing a lot of work, being constantly late, I would say something about it, as I am giving my word and that is important.
 printer2
Msg: 309
abuse of authority
Posted: 8/17/2009 6:01:44 PM
It is not like they needed a reference as to my work performance, I worked for the school four four years and the other interviewee was my boss during the last year. I gave them two current instructors that would give me a great reference, the third I gave them to replace my current boss as a reference sat on a plane beside our college's president (a trip to celebrate our college's success and promote the college) telling him there is no way we could have got where we did without me.

Basically comes down to the fact I am more qualified to teach the program than the people they gave the program to. I wanted to go back because I felt the students should at least have someone in the program that worked in the field and could give them some practical knowledge.

And that is where the problem lies. The students would know the instructors they have are just teaching things that they read out of a book while I have actually done the things they are learning. The HR person latched onto my aversion to having them contact my current boss and probably will use it as an excuse to pass me by. They can not say the other guy is more qualified as he is a student that never even completed the course. So much for the quality of education.
 printer2
Msg: 310
abuse of authority
Posted: 8/17/2009 6:23:49 PM
The instructor that retired and wanted me to teach the course said that a confident boss hires people better than himself, one that is not confident hires people that are not as good as himself.
 baf 2
Msg: 311
abuse of authority
Posted: 2/21/2010 1:43:30 AM
time to get things going with my fave thread.............when i first started this i was calling for av recordings of officers on duty and some [ leo] said no way........seems tasers now have that capability..........dash cams...........certain cops being caught beating perps etc..............what's the general attitude these days?............damn it's good to be back ......bwaaaahhhhhhhh
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > abuse of authority