Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > abuse of authority      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 51
abuse of authorityPage 3 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
so a few days ago a suspect in the thistle curling rink arson walks on charges because the "seasoned" detectives who interegogted the guy withheld food and his insulin over a ten hour period.............. when will these" professionals" get it that they have to play by the rules?...........these are the stories that make the news........ i wonder how often police misconduct results in crimanals going free?........blaming the courts is one thing for lowlifes getting back on the streets, yet how often do you hear ppl. complaining about the cops botching it up?..............time for live action cams on all cops while on duty?..........
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 52
abuse of authority
Posted: 4/25/2008 11:24:19 AM
nyc cops walk. c'mon, someones gotta have sumthin on this one.
 amber187
Msg: 53
view profile
History
abuse of authority
Posted: 5/6/2008 1:32:41 AM
you know It Isn't just cops and that abusing ttheir positions there are many other's out there like nurses,doctors,supervisors and bosses maybe you guys need to look at that as well.
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 54
abuse of authority
Posted: 5/6/2008 5:43:26 PM
post away......................................
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 55
abuse of authority
Posted: 7/22/2008 4:01:36 PM
and just cuz i can, this could be about the abuse of minuk's position he displayed to the tamans
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 56
abuse of authority
Posted: 7/23/2008 6:15:57 AM
so my thread on recording of officer's on duty was deleted by the community, and yet we have a taser death this morning in the news..................think a recoeding would expedite the inquiry that will be coming up?.............was the taser necessary?............was it deployed more than once???????will someone else start a thread on cops being recoerded?????.....................i luv being on vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 susan_cd
Msg: 57
abuse of authority
Posted: 7/23/2008 8:30:52 PM
They had a report of the incident on th evening news, supposedly the teen ( 17) was armd with a nwouldn't drop it, so they used the taser ( the other option is their 9MM, I'm good with either).

Then they had the mother of the teen saying he was a good kid, but had some problems ( might have said he was a bit mixed up, so don't say I misquoted her, it was words to that effect) and it was the police use of the taser that caused her son's death ...

Well Noooooooooo, actually. If the current reports are true, then it was her son's not dropping his weapon that caused his death. His death may be unfortunate, but it's his fault for not obeying the police.

They should switch to the tasers that are equipped with cameras tho.
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 58
abuse of authority
Posted: 7/23/2008 11:10:37 PM
it would get pretty boring just seeing the inside of a tim's most of the time, although looking the other way would be entertaing too............
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 59
abuse of authority
Posted: 7/27/2008 2:25:50 PM
media moguls...................how are they abusing their authourity?..................over their employees?....................they have no authourity over you or me................
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 60
abuse of authority
Posted: 8/6/2008 12:32:04 PM
just read how the latest police involved shooting death is again being handled internally................seems there was a knife according to police and a cell phone mistaken for a weapon according to the family..................also with 6 officers and a picket fence between them and the deceased and the use of a taser that didn't help[?] in this situation, maybe the time to have recording equipment on officers is finally making sense?......................this kind of thing between the aboriginal populace and the wps isn't getting any better and those individuals who do choose to act out against the police in retaliation will start with the general population, you and i......................not a fan of the law enforcement community due to their paramilitary mentality................time for a change, but what kind of change?.................a civilian board to hold the reins of power and have the teeth to investigate fairly and impartially?
 paladin_
Msg: 61
view profile
History
abuse of authority
Posted: 8/7/2008 12:00:36 AM
Another dead Indian? Or one dead dumb Indian. that is the question.

I agree with ChuckNorris1, this guy beat up pregnant woman and she had a miscarrage and lost her baby because of the attack. This guy also beat the crap out of two 11 year old boys the same day. ( real tuff guy eh)

There is no doubt in my mind that this little punk (who likes to beat up women) was as RUDE, IGNORANT and as BELLIGERENT to the winnipeg police as humanly possible.
And he most likely challenged the police to a fight because he thought he was A tuff a$$, bad a$$ mother f-er Gangster boy.

Well I guess he found out just how tuff he really was.

And just like his uncial J.J. Harper ,If he would have put his hands up in the Air and surrendered to the police the worst thing that would have happened to him would have been to spend the night in the Drunk Tank and then he would have been sent home next day (alive an well).
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 62
abuse of authority
Posted: 8/7/2008 7:43:55 AM
well besides all the racial undertones , is it not a bit unusual the wps decide not to produce a knife to quell public reaction?..........and yea the guy had priors, but did the cops responding know this or is this racial profiling?................anf funny how only one comments on the camera issue brought up.....................and yes recordings would protect both sides of their rights.................the victim of unecessary actions by the police and the police to protect them if force is/was required...............also the chance to learn from these incidents, as we all have seen, cops too sometimes have touble remembering things.......................and yea, one more lowlife blown away, and one more cop who has to deal with the aftermath....................maybe the camera would be like the little angel on the shoulder reminding the partys involved to do the right thing.......................
 paladin_
Msg: 63
view profile
History
abuse of authority
Posted: 8/7/2008 2:21:30 PM
12one,

Race had nothing to do with it!!!

But this persons Arrogances, Belligerents, and an out right defiant attitude towards the police and the LAW!!! Had everything to do with it!!!

Sorry I am just getting sick and tired of all this crap, its time to call the spade a spade and call the kettle black.
 flyin-high
Msg: 64
view profile
History
abuse of authority
Posted: 8/7/2008 5:58:43 PM

" POLICE < DROP THE WEAPON NOW"
DROP THE WEAPON NOW
What if you didn’t have a weapon to drop… what do you do then.
 flyin-high
Msg: 65
view profile
History
abuse of authority
Posted: 8/7/2008 6:47:49 PM
That must be what happened… he failed to raise his hands.

The first instinct for the police is self preservation, shoot first and ask questions later.
 LucOberdere
Msg: 66
view profile
History
abuse of authority
Posted: 8/9/2008 1:19:41 AM

according to the your race isnt that what is supposed to be done ? Do news conferences and public inquiries. Isnt that supposed to be the civilized thing to do?

Ok. I can't speak for everyone, but as a predominantly white guy I'll bite on this one...
I think 'our race' as you put it - and I assume referring to whites - would just say if it were a white guy this happened to, 'wow, did you hear about the guy being shot by a cop?' End of story... It wouldn't even enter the conversation if he had a knife or not, probably the talk would be about one less criminal for the jails, and if he were in a gang or not. (I'm not saying I would say that - that is what I would undoubtedly hear in conversations)

And please don't continue to insult my intellegence by bringing up race all the time.

The guy had a knife, the cops felt they were in the right to defend themselves. If they were wrong, they (the police) fall under the same rules as the rest of us for murder. Were all these people who say there was no knife actually there? Or are they are just trying to stirr the 'racial' pot a bit more. Shame on those who say that for not being honest enough to admit that this isn't a police state like they'd want to believe, and want us to believe. Perception and reality are often two different things.

There will be police detectives from other jurisdictions looking into this matter. And believe me, any detective worth his weight will smell something fishy if things did not happen as they have been reported to us. THEN an inquiry would be opened.

And this BS about showing the knife to the family? What's that? I must have missed that in all the law 'stuff' I used to read. From what I recall the police are under no obligation to show anyone anything pertaining to any crime until the trial (oh sure - excluding the evidentiary portion...). What good would that do anyway? Would that change the fact that this person is dead?

Why don't we call a spade a spade here and say the who justice system as it relates to aboriginals is somewhat flawed and spend the money on fixing THAT rather than another inquiry?

It just makes me sick when each time someone gets shot or tasered someone has to bring race into the picture. Get over that already. THAT is criminal. Following the logic, I guess the guy who was tasered to death in the BC airport was tasered because he came from an eastern block country.

what was the police attitude? and don't kid yourself they knew exactly who they were going to be dealing with long before they got there

What attitude? And yes they probably knew what type of situation they were walking into, why do you think 6 cops happened to be there? One or two of them probably would never be able to stand up to the scrutiny if there were problems. And what are you saying anyway? The police - knowing the sensitivity of the situation and what would happen if they did have to use force - decided to shoot the guy anyway? That they weren't aware that all this BS would happen over it? Don't you think they would have logically tried to avoid the whole thing at all costs if they could have? Any sane person would have thought that before pulling the trigger. Do not unfairly paint all the police with the same racist brush.

Speaking of which...

Paladin - try to be at least a little politically correct huh? Cripes you sound like a racisist there. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but by bringing race into it in the manner you did (and using those terms) does nothing to help matters. And it shows a lack of understanding for the whole race you put down - and more ignorance and stupidity on your behalf than anything else. Not being aboriginal, means you have NO IDEA what these people have gone through and what makes the belief system that the police are not to be trusted. Sit down with an aboriginal person once and ask them why they may think this way. If you have an open mind you may even learn a different perspective.

The fact that we as taxpayers have to anti-up the cash for these sorts of inquiries every time something occurs quite frankly pisses me off. I wish common sense would rule once in a while. That is something society as a whole has gotten away from - and it's BS. (Again IMHO)

Maybe each time someone who has been labeled as not the best person by choking a woman for not giving a smoke (who later has a miscarrage) and being 'a menace' (I believe that is the term the judge used), and the reserve unable to deal with this person, should not automatically be treated like a saint and then an inquiry opened up because of it all.

The whole thing just sickens me.

Following the logic, maybe when I get a ticket for going through a red light or speeding an 'inquiry' should be setup because they are profiling me for driving to fast? That more predominantly white guys get speeding tickets - that must then make it racist? (Note: I am 'multi-raced' so don't even go there with me.) And again following the logic I have read and heard, should I say 'show me the red light?' Would that make it better?

Wake up people. Some people are bad apples. That does not mean they deserve to be shot. But it also doesn't mean they are automaitcally a saint and completely blameless either.

And for the record... I hate speaking up about issues like this one, but I have had with the BS and crazy accusations and felt that I had to say my piece. Now everyone can hate me for having an opinion.

There ! Rant complete !
 paladin_
Msg: 67
view profile
History
abuse of authority
Posted: 8/9/2008 5:44:29 AM
Narkle nice rant, well done!!

12one Im happy that we are starting to see eye to eye.

For the record I did not intend to sound racist… if anyone took offence then I apologize.

1. Did I not say in my last post that race was not the issue? But did I not say that it was this person Arrogances, Belligerents, and an out right defiant attitude towards the police and the LAW that had everything to do with it?

2. I agree that race should have never been an issue in the first place.
But however, what community’s leaders were the ones that held a news conference at the seen and played the race card in the first place? (I think we all know which leaders they are) and of course the media as well.
In my opinion they are the ones who are the true racist because they are the ones who brought it up in the first place!

Narkle, as for your opinion of my ignorance and stupidity for not being aboriginal, which means I have NO IDEA what these people have gone through.
Excuse me sir!
I work for the government and have been on several aboriginal culture awareness seminaries that was taught by aboriginal person who had a Harvard degree.
I am also Reiki practitioner and learned this skill from a reiki master in Brandon who was also aboriginal.
I have also been to many sweet loges over the years and I also have 3 cousins who are aboriginal that I grew up with since I was 6 years old!!! So I think I know a little bit about aboriginal culture Sir, So please don’t call me ignorant or stupid again!

12one,
I also have a few friends that are police officers and I can tell you exactly what their attitudes are.
Their attitudes to go to work every day and do their job just like everyone else does and collect a pay check at the end of the week.
Their job happens to be (To serve and protect the innocent and to uphold the LAW!!!)
I do not see how anyone with any bit of intelligence finds that so hard to understand.

I am not a racist, I just hate Idiots… and I hate them all equally.

juan mo oclock
Msg: 68
abuse of authority
Posted: 8/9/2008 12:38:28 PM
and yet year after year aboriginals see the abuses of police to get the job done..........the one story that sticks out in my mind was one i read in the west broadway version of the community paper [ the lance where i live]..............an officer goes to a house looking for a suspect and a child of 8 or 9 years old answers the door............cop asks if the father is home and and the child asks if he has a Feeny warrant [maybe someone versed in law could explain what that is exactly?]........cop doesn't so child says goodbye and closes door................this cop basically says that the fact that individuals knowing their rights and the law takes away one of their tools to do their job......................that tool is ignorance of the law................and i'm supposed to respect them?.................zero tolerance was never policy in winnipeg as ewatski said on the stand under oath................and yet i'm sure there are those on here who can attest to that very tactic being used..........................i have been mistaken for a bank robber and when they realized their mistake and let me go i felt like i had inconvieniced them..................when i ask for badge numbers so if this happened again i could tell the police officers to call them and clear me they get defensive and basically tell me to go **** myself as they will not give me their numbers..............i used to have respect for the police but after learning that i'm am viewed as a civilian first and citizen second i show them no quarter and stand up for myself ...........and ya know what, thay leave me alone..................random chcek stop , no niceties or banter..................state the purpose of you stopping me or i gone..............thay don't like it when you know your rights and are suspicious if you do..........................if i am treated with respect , they get it back otherwise i look at them as nothing more than employees who have to be put int their place......................and they don't like that.................................i don't go out of my way to cause them trouble, but i don't back down from them either if they want to cause it for me.............and again i ask the question............" should cops be recorded on duty?"
 paladin_
Msg: 69
view profile
History
abuse of authority
Posted: 8/9/2008 2:15:45 PM
Just want to answer and e-mail somone sent me.

My aboriginal cosines were adopted by my Ant and Uncle.
One still lives in Winnipeg and She has a wonderful daughter.
The 2nd lives in Toronto and She is vary successful in the finical industry.
And the 3ed one… well He is in jail because he was driving a stolen car and he pointed a loaded un-registered Hand gun at a police officer and treated to Shoot and kill him.
but he was smart enuff to drop the gun and put his hands up when the police told him to.
 flyin-high
Msg: 70
view profile
History
abuse of authority
Posted: 8/9/2008 2:42:27 PM

Are you willing to pay significantly higher costs for policing to equip all police officers and police vehicles in the province with cameras
That may have been true years ago, but these days it costs about $300 for a lipstick camera and 30 hour recorder. British police departments are so fond of them that they put 3 or 4 of them in each car, pointing in different directions including the inside of the car.

Two officers doing target practice can easily use $300 worth of ammunition in a single afternoon… I don’t believe cost is the issue.
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 71
abuse of authority
Posted: 8/9/2008 3:15:21 PM
as for cost, what f-h said.........and this tech could be implemented as older equipment wears out..............and the possible amount saved in less deaths, people taking responsibility for their actions, less o/t alone for the police to go to court may well wind up in a smaller more effective police force................edit; dianthus, how would privacy acts come into ?.................you mean like the bs law that you can't record police in action unless you are media?................this can be adressed through legislation..................if the politician will see the benefit to society instead of what in it for them.................
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 72
abuse of authority
Posted: 8/9/2008 3:28:34 PM
just saw this thread..........http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts10589802.aspx.........
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 73
abuse of authority
Posted: 8/9/2008 3:34:18 PM
dianthus..............don't change midstream.................you obviously have another view on how things could pan out and it is important for different opinions to be brought forward.................especially if your profession or previous experience can open another avenue to ponder.......................edit;.....how long before our own new swat team pulls a blunder like this, no knock warrant?...............did this exact thing happen on jubilee?................cops burst in and now the accused uses the home invasion defence to defend himself?......................all for what?..............low level pot dealer.............big bust for the cops that could have been executed when he left the house.......................
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 74
abuse of authority
Posted: 8/9/2008 3:49:32 PM
^^^^^^^^and this typical no nonsense approch by this man is what makes me a fan^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^so, aaaaaa, you busy tonite big guy...............
 flyin-high
Msg: 75
view profile
History
abuse of authority
Posted: 8/9/2008 3:50:15 PM

With our access to information and privacy legislation and the standards in Canada, the cost is significantly higher
You’ll have to excuse my ignorance but, what does “access to information” and “privacy legislation” have to do with the cost of video equipment?... what “Canadian standards” are preventing implementation?... clue me in.
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > abuse of authority