Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > abuse of authority      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 susan_cd
Msg: 101
abuse of authorityPage 5 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

as for hunting someone down, that is vigilatism and is as well against the law

OK I can see vigilanteism being against the law, but what about unsafe storage of liquids? Specifically, taking an empty vodka bottle and half filling it with gasline antifreeze, then leaving that bottle in your car ( without labelling it because the felt marker you had was dried up). Your car gets stolen by one of those punk car thiefs, that steal several cars a week, they find the bottle and drink what's inside. Oops.

Guess they shouldn't have stolen my car, karma can be a harsh mistress

Or maybe it's just the filter on the gene pool.
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 102
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/9/2008 11:44:32 PM
uhhmmmm, to quote a very learned friend....wow,just, wow...........
 susan_cd
Msg: 103
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/10/2008 8:12:25 PM

Third offense 10-20 years imprisonment.

Whoa whoa whoa, hold on there a moment. If we're gonna lock them up for 10-20 years for their 3rd offence, how much is that gonna cost us? We better make their food/meals the responsibility of their friends & family ( why should we have to pay to feed them). And have them spend the time in their cells ( ok maybe an hour a day in an exercise yard), with access to books. No cable, no TV, no internet, and no university courses paid for by the taxpayers. If they can't read, then we can include reading lessons.

Then it'll be a good plan
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 104
view profile
History
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/11/2008 10:05:04 PM

we are not responsible for our actions even as adults. First offense beating. Second offense public whipping. Third offense 10-20 years imprisonment. If they haven't learned after the first 2 times they plan on not learning, they shouldn't be allowed a fourty time so if it comes around to that execute him/her.
How many people would be so willing to consistently break the laws if they knew there was a definate and invasive punishment. Maybe we should bring back the stocks and such to clean this mess up. Start punishing the families of these people and see how that works. By that i mean imprisoning their mothers or fathers etc. Fines are no deterrent and just letting them go and asking them to be good guys hasn't worked and probably won't. The old ways proved themselves to work.

He's just talking about what happens if you violate the rules for posting on POF. Don't pay it no mind - but remember NO CHIT CHAT on here or else!
 susan_cd
Msg: 105
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/12/2008 8:09:52 PM

True, no vigilante incitement folks - wouldn't do to drag us down to the level of Batman or the Punisher (the good one where John Travolta played the villian) and the Spirit (coming soon to a theater near you!)

No, vigilanteism is wrong. But we could use Judge Dredd ( the comic character, not the Stallone portrayal). And The Spirit looks like a good one ( also, Thw Watchmen is out in March).
 haywiresue
Msg: 106
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/12/2008 8:18:14 PM
I would rather see a less forgiving legal system, such as a judge like Judge Roy Bean. Now I will admit he did hang people for some strange reasons, but very few criminals actually escaped the rope.

In addition, I would like to see the jails be like the US Prison Warden, who makes inmates work for their keep, eat as the military does while being deployed and only to have the bare necessities. Now to me that is better than the Holiday Inn many inmates are living here, where they live better than people who are law abiding and work at low paying jobs.
 paladin_
Msg: 107
view profile
History
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/12/2008 11:37:19 PM
Today I read in the Winnipeg free press Dec 12 page A5 (Remorseless boy sentenced to 8 months)

He is a level 4 car thief that ran over a police officer and said “what’s the big deal, so what if I ran over a couple of cops?”

“Excuse me” but this makes me sick. It makes me sick and tired of our nambi pambi justice system.

This should have been attempted murder. When as Canadians are we going to say enough is enough!

Of course the so called (Experts) would say that it’s not his fault, because after all he did not have good parents and grew up in poverty and his layer will use ever other excuse in the book to try to get him off the hook .
And this is suppose to some how justifies his actions to steal a car that dose not belong to him and try to kill people innocent people including a police officer just for “the fun of it”.

I think is high time that Canada adopts the European style justice system that forces rehabilitation and re-education on people whom are incarcerated.

Its vary simple criminal are given the opportunity to complete their education to the grade 12 level and are giving the opportunity to learn the top 20 most in-demand trades of employment. IE. Constructions workers, carpenters, brick layers, plumbers, auto mechanic, electricians, and ect…
they also under go treatment for additions, anger management, sensitivity training ect and are taught that they are not the victim… and upon their release they are placed in a job setting where they can earn a good wage for an honest days work.

But there is a catch...

un-like in Canada They do not have the right to say NO! to this program... And if they do not complete their training then they do not get release from incarceration. They remain in jail until they complete their course with a passing grade of (C+) GPA average.
This system has a 98% Non re-offend success average compared to Canada that is less then 50% average

And for the other 2% in Europe that do not want to learn, they say in a place where they cant hurt anyone.
 haywiresue
Msg: 108
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/14/2008 7:13:06 AM
I have always believed that prisons should be run by the military. The military has a way to deal with non-conformance and misues of actions based on rules and protocol. I think if life in jail was hard work, and demanding, instead of being a "criminal university" where criminals could learn to improve their criminal skills, or go to avoid working, I believe there would be less repeat offenders. If prison life was military life and some kind of "basic training" that new recruits go through, with some kind of sweat equity for the criminals to make up for their acts against society. I have never believed that we properly utilize the skills and talents of the military.

I think young offenders would also benefit from an involvement with the military in a sort of boot camp while being rehabilitated through the military way. I believe an opportunity to belong and be respected as in the militay, would eliminate the need for young people to be drawn to gangs, as they lack a sense of belonging. This would provide an alternitive to gang recruitment for those who grew up in bad homes with bad parents.

Once the criminals learned respect and demonstrated their ability to live within the rules of society, they would then be given an opportunity to better themselves by enlisting in the military, and learning trades/skills that would earn them respect and a living in the military and in society. If going to jail/prison was not an easy life and if criminals were made to be productive, I dont think it would take criminals long to figure out that they had a choice to eith work for repayment to society for their unacceptable bahavior and criminal actions, or, learn a trade/skill and work for themselves by being a productive member of society or serving in the military. Personally I dont think we offer enough choices to those who break the law. I absolutely hate the nanny bleeding hearts who think its ok to just ignore and not tgruly rehabilitate those by not having expectations from people who commit crimes and allow them to continue to live outside the law, with no regard or respect for the rules of society.
 susan_cd
Msg: 109
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/14/2008 8:27:02 PM

The armed forces are a selective service - don't think they'd want to admit some of these turkeys.

They can use them to find landmines & IEDs.
 haywiresue
Msg: 110
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/15/2008 8:10:53 AM
Stealing because you are poor is not an excuse to steal. If people want to live that way and you can justify that lifestyle, then send them back to the countries they ran away from. In this country it is expected that people (children) attend school, get an education and then get a job and look after themselves in law abiding ways. Now for the people who come here, its expected that they live by our laws - you know the laws of Canada. If you dont like it, dont come here.

I'm sure if you ran a store and expected to make your living by selling your merchandise, you would not accept the line "they stole because they are poor and have no money" Where would your compassion be when you could not feed your kids or look after yourself because of all of the "compassion" you were expected to extend? Your compassion would run you into bankruptcy.

This was a little tongue in cheek.
 haywiresue
Msg: 111
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/15/2008 8:42:03 PM
Awwwwwwwww..............................Danooooooo....................................

And here I thought you would have figured it all out.....................

I thought you knew me better than that............................

And I'm just gonna ingore the other comment......................

Way 2 funny...............
 Refinedsillyguy
Msg: 112
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/15/2008 9:39:04 PM
Sure stealing is wrong. But some people in this world are denied the natural free rights, others are born with.
If u put yourself in there shoes. Did what you could to feed you family. Who, your not going to let starve. Cause of some technicality...

Get out of that country, try to get your feet on the ground, and abide by Canadian rules, and laws.

I'm sure you would expect some compassion, And help from Canadians.
2 wrongs never make a right..

So thats what we do with ppl nowadays. They dont make the grade. Throw them out of the country, rather than help them cause they were needy..

Look at all the people living in Winnipeg, that are willing to work. But can't get into an address cause they broke.. How they supposed to get a job.. Even labour ready would second look them..
And they not stealing, they rummaging through trash..

Soo here the question...

Would u rather live on the street, go through trash. And not steal. Cause we all know stealing wrong..stay living in Canada..

or

Steal, get your feet on the ground. Get a job. Get place. And get deported cause they stole...
 Refinedsillyguy
Msg: 113
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/15/2008 9:49:59 PM
The problem with that though, is that judges are appointed in to power.. They aren't elected. The reason for garbage sentences..

I feel it's too late to implent a change in the system that would have a signicant enough change to make it worth while. But we could start with the young generations.

Send youths to boot camp. Im sure whats his name off jerry springer could recruit some friends, and start up something here... haha..
Youths go to jail and come out worse. Building a jail for young offenders would not work..
Gang members intially seek a sense of power, and belonging.. they would have it in the military.. As there is a chain of command..
So how do we as citizens make something like this happen. Cause the government. Is too busy looking for ways to spend our money. Or fighting over who gets to take our money..

And mandatory death penalty for repeat murder offenders..well were at it..
 haywiresue
Msg: 114
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/16/2008 8:10:13 AM
ur additions - the forums are a place where individual opinions and thoughts can be expressed. Disagreement is a natural part of conversation. However, rudeness and personal attack are not as outlined in your post #357. Romanticoptomist and I often agree to disagree and my comments to him reflected that. The comments I made in my previous post that you took exception to, had a note on the bottom that said my comments were tongue in cheek. I certainly dont have to justify my comments to you when there is no rudeness or disresspect referenced to you. I refuse to address your remarks from your lack of conversation disagreement, and debating skills.
 Refinedsillyguy
Msg: 115
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/16/2008 4:52:52 PM
Yes a child/youth gets treated different than a adult would. Which can create many problems throughout the system.

They receive little to no sentence. Couple years maybe for murder. Gang members become more isolated in prisons, Or on the street. And have less involvement that can be traced back to them. Yet they still have the same influence. Without the kids. They have to go do the dirty work.
Cause kids see you can steal, and get a slap on the wrist.
In Winnipeg, we have kids running over cops, while there grand parents push the buttons on the automated telephone message. Checking if their home.

And no we dont punish 5 year olds.
I never mentioned 5 year olds. But youths. over 13.. That's a different story.
They have crime increasing, Just because they arent reported n the paper. doesnt mean they happen.
You don't think for a second, Government controls statistics published in the paper, to fit their political agenda....?
Crime in Canada is on the rise. Compared from couple years ago.

And the criminal's are getting younger. Cause they get away with almost anything..
At one point we will trouble drawing the line, where we as citizens stand in disciplinary actions towards the youths.

Well nothing has changed since couple hundred years AD. In terms of government.

Wealthy have power, influence, and control. And that is the balance of life. The unfortunite motivation to be succesful in today's society.

So is there a way to introduce a public voting system for judges.? with 6 month terms.?

I like Harpers removing federal funding for political parties. That rule applies to him also. Less Government involvment is more.
The more freedom that is handed back to the people, The more legal system will be about justice, rather than peoples jobs, and employment numbers..

It sucks to say it.. but it is the truth...
 susan_cd
Msg: 116
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/16/2008 11:09:58 PM

Sure stealing is wrong. But some people in this world are denied the natural free rights, others are born with.

I'm curious, just exactly what are " natural free rights" ?? We are thinking/intelligent animals ( ok jury may still be out on this point ), we form societies, and these societies evolve rights of their citizens. The "rights" aren't a naturally occuring thing, they are decided, debated, and selected. Thus the US had slavery for a time, then it was decided by the majority that slavery was wrong, and the system "corrected" itself. Later it was decided that blacks could vote, marry caucasians, attend the same schools etc etc. These rights weren't a natural phenomenon.

"Natural free rights" is a fallacy, as is "animal rights".
 susan_cd
Msg: 117
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/16/2008 11:11:49 PM

2 wrongs never make a right..

True, but neither does 1 wrong, hence if someone punched you in the face I'm sure you would retaliate, or at least have the authorities intervene in some way. Turning the other cheek only works if the other person thinks as you do.
 susan_cd
Msg: 118
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/16/2008 11:15:57 PM

Youths go to jail and come out worse.

OK then I guess the solution is to not let them out once incarcerated.

Building a jail for young offenders would not work..

It works in some cases. If it doesn't work it is because the offender is making the wrong choices, and will eventually pay the consequences. Maybe the solution is a work camp/boot camp in some remote location, so if they want to escape they can go, and die in the wilderness....

What do you suggest we do with them? Just tel them they're being bad and send them on their way?
 susan_cd
Msg: 119
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/17/2008 8:25:57 AM

Natural Free Rights probably means "we hold these things to be self-evident,that all men are created equal and endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights"

As I said in my post, these rights aren't "natural free rights", they are created by society. The quote you gave was used by the americans in the preamble ( to the Declaration of Independence or their constitution? I can't remember) and only applied to americans, not the human race... hell, it didn't even apply to all americans equally when it was adopted, hence the slavery & women not having the vote as examples.
 susan_cd
Msg: 120
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/17/2008 9:29:12 AM
^^^ very true, but as I said earlier, we're just animals, the "rights" aren't an aspect of our existence until we started forming tribes, societies etc then had to develop codes of conduct for our interactions.

If we were living in a feral state, the only "natural rights" would be survival of the fittest & might makes right. ( I'm not advocating we live like this, just making a point).

I (like many others) believe that "society", "government", and various legal systems don't give or grant humans "rights" because those "rights" already exist

So gay couples have the natural right to marry, and the government of California has enacted laws to circumvent that right? ( and before anyone jumps up & says this isn't a legitimate example because being "gay" isn't natural, chimpanzees & penguins form gay partnerships too)
 Refinedsillyguy
Msg: 121
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/17/2008 4:22:21 PM
Haha.. well move to winnipeg, grow watching he youth change.. And you will see. Im pretty sure Most of thread was about the youths...At least it was my intention.

You just love to argue don't you..So why aren't you a lawyer..?

Sorry, I don't have enough time to go reading up on youths. Maybe if I was studying something related. Hey thx. I take it into consideration..

For someone ,who told another person. All they did was pick apart, and comment on others threads like they were trying to agitate someone. You really know what to look for..

I won't go into detail. On anything. I not on here to argue.

Oh what i meant by natural rights. The rights we are born with..
Freedom, health, wealth. all which apply to animals..

If People are born into the world, without a chance at living these natural rights. It is because too many people in the world are greedy.
 susan_cd
Msg: 122
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/17/2008 5:27:41 PM

You just love to argue don't you..So why aren't you a lawyer..?

I don't mind a good argument, long as the participants realize that someone not agreeing with their point of view isn't necessarily a personal attack.

If People are born into the world, without a chance at living these natural rights. It is because too many people in the world are greedy.

Not sure what wealth animals are born with. And health isn't a right,in any way I can see. These can be conditions we strive for and wish for all, but they aren't rights, and especially aren't "natural" rights.
 susan_cd
Msg: 123
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/17/2008 7:01:35 PM

Oh to be young and idealistic again

Yeah, even withthe US's stating "all men are created equal" they don't guarantee health & wealth, just life, liberty, & the "pursuit of happiness", meaning you have the right to go out there & try to suceed & be happy, but it isn't a right, just the pursuit is.
 Refinedsillyguy
Msg: 124
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/17/2008 7:21:23 PM
Well in my opinion. a animal born into a very poor country is going to have less fertile land to graze on, and be less healthy, and not the freedom to roam around as much. in some cases..
So you could say it got it's wealth from the grazing grounds, and health from the grazing grounds.
Same with people, the quality of life, depends on where their born...
and i feel. We are born with a right to be healthy, have the oppurnity to wealth, and live in a society that embraces freedom..
We would have such wealthy animals then..ahhahah
 susan_cd
Msg: 125
abuse of authority
Posted: 12/17/2008 8:52:36 PM

Well in my opinion. a animal born into a very poor country is going to have less fertile land to graze on, and be less healthy, and not the freedom to roam around as much. in some cases..

Possibly, but oh well, life isn't fair. It isn't that the universe is cruel, it's just indifferent.
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > abuse of authority