Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sillychick
Msg: 4
In need of recipes high in fiber..please help!Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
My mother has had Crohn's for years and you can increase your fibre by eating lots of green leafy veggies and only eating whole grains when it comes to bread. She has to avoid seeds though. The biggest thing you need to avoid is anything that turns to sugar so be weary of refined sugars and high complex carbs. Keep your protien intake up and eat high fibre stuff thru veggies and fruits mostly. It never hurts to add some high fibre cereal to your diet but you might want to watch your milk intake. Many with Crohn's can't tolerate the milk either.

Good luck to you, it's an awful disease but very manageable with diet.
 smith2267
Msg: 5
In need of recipes high in fiber..please help!
Posted: 3/17/2006 5:34:02 AM
I have heard you can use oatmeal as a grain component of soup. I've been meaning to try it, I'll let you know how it turns out.
I have been experimenting with soup lately; there aren't a lot of rules, you can really get creative.
NOw, I HAVE used barley in soup, and it is very good. Many people put spinach ibn their soup also.
I have heard of people putting spinach in lasagna. How could anythiing taste bad covered in Mozzarella?
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/17/2006 2:35:09 PM
anything with oatmeal in it should work
 1don1
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/18/2006 9:32:44 AM
EAt sawdust ,I found if you mix half a cup of alder ,cherry is my favorite wood it has a tangy flavour,mix with 1 cup of maple syrup .Heat in microwave for three minutes until sawdust is soft and chewey,serve with low fat yogourt on the side.ENJOY!
 1don1
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/18/2006 9:35:57 AM
EAt sawdust ,I found if you mix half a cup of alder ,cherry is my favorite wood it has a tangy flavour,mix with 1 cup of maple syrup .Heat in microwave for three minutes until sawdust is soft and chewey,serve with low fat yogourt on the side.ENJOY!
 Juanita Onell
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/26/2006 1:37:58 PM
You said you cant drink milk, I drink soy milk and they have it in vanilla and chocolate.. Its very tastey..
 parallax
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2006 4:33:22 PM
Bran muffins

2 tablespoons shortening
3 tablespoons sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1 cup bran
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt

optional: 1/2 to 3/4 cup raisins or chopped dates

Mess up shortening and sugar. Add the rest to the mixture.

Fill pans 2/3 full and bake at 425 degrees F for 20 to 25 min.

Note: Variations work well on this recipe. I generally use Kelloggs All Bran, but you can change the taste using others. Soy can easily substitute for the milk portion. I would also recommend soaking the bran in the milk or soy before adding it to the mix - it makes it easier to blend in. Brown sugar, molasses, or honey can be used to change the taste.
 Whitetigeress
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/29/2006 6:18:21 PM
with spinach

make gomae... a japanese salad of steamed spinach with a sesame dressing

and i use it instead of lettuce in salads and sandwiches
 merrilyanne
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2006 7:52:42 PM
I was using ground flax but was told that only flaxseed oil gives you the nutrients you need, and today on Oprah, Dr. Oz said that also.
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/8/2007 10:16:03 PM
to the lady with the kid who cant poop...i'll post a recipe for bran muffins ...i have one tucked away somewhere...its a bit more work than the bran muffin recipe posted earlier in this thread but the muffins wont be as heavy as those ones sound like they might be...my mother used to supply one of the yuppie high end health food stores here with the recipe i will post as soon as i dig it up...these muffins are no-fail...not complicated...just a bit labour intensive
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/9/2007 8:03:03 PM
bran muffins
1/3 cup buttermilk powder
4 eggs
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cup of oil
1/2 cup cooking molasses
1/2 cup crushed pineapple
2 cups water

2 1/2 cups bran...(no you cant use all bran cereal)
4 cups white flour
3 tsps baking powder
3 tsps baking soda 1 tsp salt

beat wet ingredients together with sugars with an egg beater till it turns kinda foamy...it will be messy...i hope your beater has a spatter shield
once its mixed together...add the dry ingredients...
i know most muffin recipes say dont overmix but this one is pretty safe...so mix it until all the dry stuff is incorporated...during the mixing you can add raisins if desired...up to you how much...line muffin tins with liners and fill a little better than 2/3 full
preheat oven to 400F while filling muffin tins...
on my particular oven i find i have to bake them on the highest rack...in any event bake them for 20 minutes or until a knife inserted...comes out dry...
this recipe will yield about 2 dozen...serve hot with butter and jam...your kids wont even suspect they are good for them...these are yummy...i freeze them after they are cooled off...(the ones that dont get eaten right away that is)...individually wrapped tightly in saran wrap
this recipe can be halved quite easily too...
enjoy...
 Witchypoo
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/9/2007 8:19:07 PM
Black Beans, Kidney Beans, Pinto Beans, Navy Beans, Great Northern Beans, etc............. All are high in Fiber and protein as an extra plus.

:))
Witchy
 rrrickkk
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/10/2007 7:02:36 AM
I would try a health food store. Second I would join a support group so I could get first hand knowledge of what works. Then I would do research on the internet for the latest news .
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 27
Posted: 5/10/2007 10:34:55 AM
artsy...scroll back to the bran muffin recipe i posted...make and eat them...then come back with another posting
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >