Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 257
Would you sign a prenuptial agreement?Page 3 of 33    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33)
Good Lord people, love is love and money is money - they are two different things, and they just don't mix. If you and your future spouse love each other, then you will want EACH OTHER to avoid any future financial ruin and stress SHOULD the marriage not work out, right?

Hell yes I would sit with my fiancé and tailor a prenup that we both can live with before ever marrying him. It's just smart and peace of mind. If we end up together forever, then we can both laugh at the damn thing! I say hope for the best, plan for the worst.

I've seen far too many people get married with every intention of staying together and in the end it was a nightmare. The only people that think love can rise beyond a marriage and that a prenup is a matter of trust are people who've never been thru a nasty divorce. Those who have, know things can turn 180 degrees when all doesn't work out.

I am no idiot, luckily I was born with the ability to learn from watching others, so I don't have to get married and sucked through a wood chipper to learn from it.

As a matter of fact, I have seen such carnage that my plan is to just avoid the marriage itself. Mind you, not everyone's been thru that hell, but a lot of my friends really jumped into some stuff that with common sense they should have known better - but love is VERY blind.
 theon54
Msg: 259
Would you sign a prenuptial agreement?
Posted: 8/18/2006 10:23:42 AM
I think a prenuptial agreement is a good idea. Even if you never expect to end your marriage your state has divorce laws, and having a prenuptial agreement is a little like making your on laws in that matter - and in case of divorce it will probably simplify the process. It is like having a fire extinguisher, you do not want to use it, but better have it there if you ever need it!
 Funme40
Msg: 260
Posted: 8/18/2006 10:29:39 AM
To the OP, when you’ll lose everything once after a separation, you’ll sign a prenuptial agreement! I feel stupid for having lost everything 3 times before waking up…
 harryv05
Msg: 261
Posted: 8/18/2006 10:30:01 AM
MY FIRST WIFE COST ME OVER A MILLION. IF YOU THINK I WOULD MARRY AGAIN WITHOUT A PRENUP, YOU HAVE NO BRAIN. AS YOU GET OLDER, YOUCANNOT MAKE IT BACK.
 Mrs.Bucket
Msg: 268
Posted: 8/18/2006 9:20:38 PM
i would not sign a prenup...
 outandabout
Msg: 269
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2006 9:56:15 PM
In one simple word YES I would and my partner should do the same.
It should not be a big deal with each other either.
Just protecting your (as*)...... or assets that you worked for all those years.
These days marriage does not last an eternity. We all wish it would BUT.........
That is why some of us or on this sight, because eternity was short lived.
For better or for worse until death do you part. Maybe someday.
 faro123
Msg: 272
Posted: 8/18/2006 10:45:15 PM
I think it should be signed...I think both partners should be open and brave enough to talk about it and agree to it.

1)To prove there is no other attraction for the marriage but the attraction between 2 people and that must be the only reason for a long term relationship
2)If someone says he/she won't sign it then actually they are confirming it that money is all that matters to them!

Besides if one refuses to sign it then isn't it an open sign that the person is not for you and you are better off saving yourself the trouble!!
 tick tock
Msg: 276
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2006 11:31:20 PM
love=business
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 279
Posted: 8/19/2006 7:03:00 AM
Is it fair to say that most people who won't sign a prenup might have nothing or very little to lose in a marriage? Because it seems to be offensive to some people if it was brought up.

All it does is protect both parties from each other in the event of a breakup. What's with the negative emotional reaction?
 MrGordonGecko
Msg: 283
Posted: 8/19/2006 12:11:54 PM
Prenuptial agreements are often worthless, depending on how they are written, your financial status at the time of the divorce and the judge's discretion. Too many variables in play that work against you. Particularly if you are a male. Several different people have pointed this out in the thread, but no one seems to be listening, oh well, their financial funeral not mine.

I wouldn't get married. Ever.

If any young guy asked me for advice on the matter, from a legal perspective, I'd tell him to never get married. Ever.

If I did, in some far off hypothetical universe where pigs fly and the streets are paved with gold, having one would be better than not having one, but that's like using coitus interuptus as a form of birth control and expecting it to work.
 Timbucktwo_
Msg: 284
Posted: 8/19/2006 12:16:13 PM
wouldn't even think of getting married without one.....relationships change over time..emotions change over time. You'd be foolish to get hitched without one. And don't fall for that "if you really loved me you wouldn't make me want to sign on the dotted line"....soon as you hear that walk away.
 tick tock
Msg: 289
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2006 2:54:34 PM
@ cherokee: I've seen it happen way to many times to others, mostly men. A friend of mine had all his childhood pictures torn to shreds...a real tragedy since he was born and raised in S. Africa and will never likely replace them. This is exactly the reason that people have to be very smart and read the signs. Above all, they should have an escape plan.
 tick tock
Msg: 294
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2006 3:17:03 PM
^ Very fair statement. I think men (and now some women) need that reassurance in this day and age after some of the outrageous settlements of yesteryear...well, and even till this day.
 Wullis
Msg: 297
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2006 4:08:31 PM
I as many was highly insulted by the thought of a prenup in my youth. But what has happened to me has definately changed my mind.

It would be simple, what each party comes to the table with they leave with. What we build together is split. My sons interests must be protected. As well as my families heritage.

Many things can happen in life. One of you said the laws where you live protect you. But if five years into the marriage an unforseen event would cause you to move where the laws did not protect you. A prenup asked for five years into a marriage is much more insulting.

My ex has a social/mental problem that was not evident in the beginning, and it is horrible to watch someone turn into a completely different person over the years. But in this country she has the right to choose if she wants treatment or not. And she chooses not.

She has cost me more than a million dollars.......and NO not like I'm wealthy and thats what she settled for. She came in with $600 and the clothes on her back. I had a farm and a herd of horses, and my collections.
I ended up with the shirt on my back and she ended up with her clothes and the cash she could pullout and her jewery.

She spent the coins in my coin collection, destroyed or threw away every piece of art (50-60 pcs, Threw away my 6000 volume library almost 700 first ed. 60 before 1800. Threw away my family bibles, family china, sold or tossed my family jewlery, watches, gemstones, I could go on forever. Sold our home for 1000 more than we owed and we had 50% equity.

In addition I was cut out of two wills as in the latter years the family new better than I that I wouldn't be able to save her. And they weren't going to split their lives earnings with her

THINGS HAPPEN IN LIFE THAT ARE BEYOND YOU COMPREHENSION!!!!!!!! PLAN ACCORDINGLY
 tick tock
Msg: 305
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2006 3:53:25 AM
^ the same applies to houses you've purchased before becoming involved with another. If you live in it, then it is fair game...as unfair as that is.
 Wullis
Msg: 313
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2006 4:32:08 PM
KARL

I actually think the reason divorce rates are so high in the US is that so many people are all about the personal freedoms given here in the US, but want others to live by old world values

In other words People say I have these rights but if my wife or neighbor or inlaws ect.....want to exercise the same right but their opinion differs from mine, well screw their rights.

And when that comes into the home it shatters the home.

Also where capitalism is great.....it also draws in all the greedy self centered people in the world, and these people will sell there spouse and mother for another dollar
 tick tock
Msg: 321
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2006 1:14:03 AM
I want to hear from women in their 20's who aren't divorced or seperated or collecting child support from someone else. Would they still sign a prenup?
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 322
Posted: 8/21/2006 7:24:20 AM
^^^First of all why does it have to be that women in their 20s are the ones not divorced or separated or with children/collecting support? A lot of us decided to wait on all that into our 30s, and are still single and weren't married once yet.

Secondly, I am not in my 20s but when I was I would have either signed one if asked or made sure there was one if it wasn't brought up. But I did one better, I stayed ahead of the game and just never got married - I was asked twice, and thought about it and said, naahhh - too much hassle, love or not.

It's way easier to divide assets with someone you aren't married to. Period.
 tick tock
Msg: 324
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2006 11:28:23 AM

First of all why does it have to be that women in their 20s are the ones not divorced or separated or with children/collecting support? A lot of us decided to wait on all that into our 30s, and are still single and weren't married once yet.

Because many women in their early 20's still have unrealistic and idealistic expectations of men & relationships, and still carry that traditional attitudes towards prenups...well, at least the great majority of ones I've spoken to.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 325
Posted: 8/21/2006 1:24:41 PM
^^^ That's interesting, since it's a new generation and all, from most of their parents at this point 20 year olds SHOULD have newer/educated perspectives on it. When I was in my 20s it was more of a different mindset - women in their 20s now should be well aquainted with the concept of it, at least from current events and the news if not in their lives.

The Jessica Simpson/Nick Lachey story alone should cover it pretty well.

Hmmm...
 east_indiana_jones
Msg: 328
Posted: 8/21/2006 2:33:19 PM
if you knew there was a 50% chance of getting into a car accident, would you not want the maximum protection as in the vehicle with the best air bag and crash test rating. Why would anyone go into a marriage without a pre-nup with the divorce rate being so high? Especially if there is a huge disparity in assets.
 tick tock
Msg: 330
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2006 11:31:33 PM

That's interesting, since it's a new generation and all, from most of their parents at this point 20 year olds SHOULD have newer/educated perspectives on it. When I was in my 20s it was more of a different mindset - women in their 20s now should be well aquainted with the concept of it, at least from current events and the news if not in their lives.

In that regard, men have grown at a faster pace than women over the past 30 years. Men have been forced to completely revamp their perception and expectations of women, whereas women have not met the challenge in return.
 Mrs.Bucket
Msg: 335
Posted: 8/22/2006 12:40:20 PM
No I would not...
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >