Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sanktspirit
Msg: 4
The Official Christian State of Missouri - Majority Rules!Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
This is a prime example of the kind of red herring issues the conservatives use to get us all worked up and distracted from truly important issues. While everybody is getting all worked up about something that really doesn't change anything it gives them some slack time to go for something they really want. God only knows what it might be this time. But by the time people clue in it will be too late. They are taking advantage of the fact that people can only focus on a limited number of issues. If you keep them distracted with God and flags you can get away with murder and they do. It really doesn't matter what the state says people are still going to believe what they want.
Generally your correct regarding people and intransigence but I wouldnt consider hate crime statutes to be mere, distractions. The Hate Crime concept is an arbitrary and dangerous risk that can easily slide out of contriol.

What a coincidence Delytful. Fancy meeting you here. : )
 sanktspirit
Msg: 5
The Official Christian State of Missouri - Majority Rules!
Posted: 3/27/2006 9:44:42 PM

I just don't understand why Christians are the only ones who have to "hide" their faith while so many laws protect every other one in the name of "affirmative action" (about the biggest crock there ever was).

Agreed!
 johnnyboy:down not out!
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/28/2006 12:44:30 AM
now we just need an OFFICAL CHRISTIAN UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!
 confused/knothead
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/28/2006 6:52:36 PM
Well, I certainly do not disagree with the part about VOLUNTARY prayer in public schools.
It is simply about freedom.
Who could argue with that?
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/28/2006 7:07:05 PM
When I grew up every school day started with the Lord's Prayer and a bible reading. And there always seemed to be one who had to "voluntarily" step outside the door. Small thing, but even then it seemed unfair to me that the kid had to single herself out. It just shouldn't be in school.
 AnArtistsHeart
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/20/2006 9:22:10 AM
very, and amazingly well said indeed.
 CountIbli
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/22/2006 8:21:14 PM

If Missouri people want a law on the books that recognizes that Christianity is an important part of what made us who we are, I don't see where a non-resident needs to worry about it.

Article 1 Section 6 of the Missouri Constitution states:

"That no person can be compelled to erect, support or attend any place or system of worship, or to maintain or support any priest, minister, preacher or teacher of any sect, church, creed or denomination of religion; but if any person shall voluntarily make a contract for any such object, he shall be held to the performance of the same."

This part of the Constitution would seem to exclude the government spending so much as one penny of tax dollars on any pro-Christian expendeture.
 mungojoe
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/27/2006 11:25:37 PM

Name the 6 nations & elaborate please. Thanks.

That would be the Iroquois Confederacy.

The Union of Nations was established prior to major European contact, complete with a constitution known as the Gayanashagowa...

Most anthropologists have traditionally speculated that this constitution was created between the middle 1400s and early 1600s. However, recent archaeological studies have suggested the accuracy of the account found in oral tradition, which argues that the federation was formed around August 31, 1142...

The Iroquois nations' political union and democratic government has been credited by some as one of the influences on the United States Constitution. However, that theory has fallen into disfavor among many historians, and is regarded by others as mythology...
 gentalltheway
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Every nuclear warhead, bullet and landmine is just dripping with gods love
Posted: 2/7/2008 9:29:00 AM
I am an atheist and been one for just about the majority of my adult life. That’s my choice as I cannot accept any supreme holy persona. In fact, for me religion is the source of all evil on this earth particularly when mixed with politics which is why I will never approve any political candidate that openly claims to be religious or even worst, driven by his faith in God.

Politics + religion= Evil Put that on the wall as it’s as true as true can be.

"A union of government and religion tends to destroy government and degrade religion." Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black, Engel v. Vitale, (1962)

Religion should be a private manner and nothing more except for churches where all can participate.

As for schools, don’t you think that kids have enough to deal with? As a parent with religious beliefs, it’s up to you (not the teachers) to pass it on to your kids. The kids will decide once they reach a certain age if they want to continue practicing their religion or drop it and they will no matter what. Another reason for not having religion in schools is multicultural environment. We have to finger out some children because they will need to leave class during a religious activity. What’s up with that? They are kids for Christ sake! Let them have fun together. Kids are smart and they will learn about other religions no matter what as their friends will explain the differences which of course kids will come back home and ask more questions as of why they are different.
 .dej
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2011 9:44:58 AM
Despite how atheist I am, I cannot muster myself to give a damn about this. Some of you look for things to get pissed at.
 cotter
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2011 1:14:13 PM
It appears this thread originated back early in 2006 and went dormant. Then someone bumped it back up in early 2008.

Now it appears that the poster who bumped it this time was only here long enough to put in a bid for his favorite Italian Restaurant and then left it for us to play with.

I'm in favor or letting this thread die again.
 .dej
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2011 3:22:32 PM
But it really made me crave Italian food...

So there's that.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >