Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > How do you really feel seeing your EX get engaged?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 enigmic dryad
Msg: 26
How do you really feel seeing your EX get engaged?Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
My ex left "cuz the honeymoon was over" almost 3 yrs ago, only 2 months before our 10th wedding anniversary. It came out of left field for me and it truely gutted me at the time. I even ended up in a crappy rebound relationship just to get over him. (I'm well over them both now, and I've found my self-worth again and I'm happy to be single.)

He came on POF, and after a few dates with a few women, met a very nice one that he's still with 2 yrs later. I honestly wish them the best, with no hard feelings. She's a nice lady and treats my daughter respectfully, and that's all that matters to me now.

If they announced an engagement I'd be elated for me cuz it means I'm finally getting a divorce. But I'd also be pleased for them because they are both good people who deserve to be happy together. Life is too short to be bitter, and licking wounds forever means never healing.

firegurl61-17
Msg: 27
How do you really feel seeing your EX get engaged?
Posted: 4/10/2008 10:56:47 AM
I'd say good riddens and I feel sorry for her....let the donkey and pony show begin...again. Hes the posterchild for birth control!
If he were a nicer father to his children and an all around nice human being I would have been happy for him....but Narcissistic personality disorders get worse as time goes on..hes already beyond cruel..but as long as he charms her and she believes it...the dance will go on as she will be supplying the fuel an NPD guy needs to manipulate. I feel bad for her when she realizes shes been lied to.
 Indiananurse
Msg: 28
Posted: 4/10/2008 11:05:02 AM
I would be thrilled...as a matter of fact I should set him up with someone so he CAN get engaged...maybe one of the girls he cheated on me with...hmmm LOL.....

Seriously, I would be happy...I have moved on and closed that chapter and it would be nice if I saw him do the same!
 ~daisy~
Msg: 29
Posted: 4/10/2008 11:11:20 AM
I guess what comes to mind with this type of scenario is the Rascal Flats song "God blessed the broken road" (that lead me straight to you)

You were not right together and the person meant for you will be somewhere further along your path.
 booster66
Msg: 30
Posted: 4/10/2008 11:19:11 AM
Well I can say that right now...out of my last 2 ex's...the oldest one...I'd be happy for her, Absolutely, and hope for her the best. The newer one of the 2. I'd be crushed. This was the woman I decided I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. I just never got around to asking her for fear...then she dumped me...2 months later I find out she has just joined the Army. I'm scared to death that something may happen to her and I will never know. I don't believe in karma, I don't believe in fate (per say) I do believe that doors are opened and whether or not you walk through them or not is entirely up to you. All the choices we make are just that. Choices we make...let's start living up to it. I made the choice not to ask her to marry me and now...I'm regretting every minute of it but it was my choice and I have to live with that and wish the best for her in her new life...and support her as a friend would.
 karesse
Msg: 31
Posted: 4/10/2008 11:20:49 AM
As for my exhusband's getting engaged, it didn't bother me in the least as I was the one that chose to end those marriages. Exhubby #1 went for someone half his age and I knew it wouldn't last (and I was right), and exhubby #2 was a great guy and deserved happiness again... we had just lost the connection between us with all the stepchildren problems we had to deal with during our marriage.

When I walked away from my 3rd engagement however and learned that a mere 6 months later he had married another (ironically with the same first and middle name as me and born the same birth year, and on Mackinac Island where we had so many great memories at) - that hurt!! I guess somewhere deep inside I had always held hope that he would realize that the changes I had requested of him were open to compromise that he surely could meet me part way on.

So much for hoping. I don't think I have ever cried like I did then upon learning of his nuptials. And I've never cried over a man since. I should of known I would be easily gotten over however although we had been together for 3 years. After all, he latched onto me a mere month after the passing of his first wife of 18 years who had fought yet lost her 16 year battle with leukemia.
 pageturner66
Msg: 32
Posted: 4/10/2008 11:25:17 AM
misread it -- thought it said "gagged". nevermind.
 Scubacody
Msg: 33
Posted: 4/10/2008 2:24:04 PM
Well seeing as we were engaged about um about 7 months ago and now she is engaged again, I am not all that upset seeing as she obviously was not the person I thought I knew and loved. We dated for 5 years got engaged and then she cheated on me with her boss, which was gross because he was like 48 or some kind of crap like that. I was crushed, got the ring back, then decided it was for the best. I am not bitter anymore just more relieved I dodged that bullet. I am so ready to move on.
 boisegoodbadboy
Msg: 34
Posted: 4/10/2008 2:46:09 PM
i pity the fool...
 GUS~GUS
Msg: 35
Posted: 4/10/2008 2:51:58 PM
well i got say I was a mess because my brainless roomate who knew her sister told me second hand after i had just got a lame ass email from my ex saying we wouldnt be friends ever. Her selfish ass is so insecure, she didnt have the heart to tell me she was gettin engaged. I was a mess to be honest but now I am like well now it is her new fiance problem do deal with her lame, selfish, pathetic, money/soul sucking ass. wow dont i sound a bit pissed lol Her loss but in the end I still wish her to be happy and i even told her that. so it was a bitter sweet symphony when I found out, cause the door finally shut for me, but didnt make it any easier at least the way i found out
 DenaliDadd
Msg: 36
Posted: 4/10/2008 3:04:10 PM
My one ex got remarried seven DAYS after the divorce was final. It was a wee bit of a shock, I have to say. What was even more shocking is that she married a man younger than my oldest kids!

He can have her. She deserves him.
 firegurl61-17
Msg: 37
Posted: 4/10/2008 3:19:14 PM
Wait till the gal finds out my ex sleeps with strange men on business trips too!
 gonzofanmel
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2008 3:56:07 PM
One of my exes not only got married but now has a kid. And even though things ended badly, it still stings a little bit.

But I'm happy for him if that's what he wants. He's out of my life anyway.
 reckless abandon
Msg: 39
Posted: 4/10/2008 4:16:52 PM
Who cares. An ex is and ex for a reason. If they find someone who truly makes them happy then good for them. I've been invited to two of my ex's weddings. One I went to because I knew the guy she was marrying and the second I didn't because of the reason I was invited. It wasn't a good reason and I don't think her fiance would have been too cool about. That marriage didn't last.
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 40
Posted: 4/10/2008 4:28:45 PM

If you can honestly say that you gave it your best shot there's nothing left to do but be happy for her. The "what if's" will drive you crazy.

Msg.42
True,true,true!!! You and me are in the minority here dude!
I was only married once,20 years and have two great kids, the relationship for the most part was successful and only the last 2 or 3 years it went south. She has since remarried and I wish her well! I really do and why not? To stay bitter is self defeating because it is only cheating yourself! Yes ,thats right!
And if by chance you have a s/o a new -bee in your life they also will be the brunt of your bitterness and anchor dragging lifestyle too, why? Because you have decided not to move on, you play part time lover and friend, your not whole and live with part time feelings and part time reservations for another.. sound familiar...
Life goes on and so should you unless you enjoy living in the past and the rut you call life.

We all have had unpleasant things happen in out life but who hasn't? It's not a life sentance [bad luck] but Life still goes on, let go and live it again!
 TehTech
Msg: 41
Posted: 4/10/2008 4:35:27 PM

Well, I was engaged once and he cheated and got her pregnant so we broke up. Long story short he put MY ring on HER finger and married HER. Needless to say they are now divorced. That's why I strongly believe in what goes around comes around.

omg how can you give someone a ring that was intended for someone else?!!! and that stupid woman still married him anyway?!!!!

wow...
 mjsmamma
Msg: 42
Posted: 4/10/2008 4:39:34 PM
My ex married the first and only woman who replied to his match ad. They were married a year and a half after our divorce. At first I was hurt because it looked like I was too easily replaced, even though I was the one who asked for the divorce. But, after I thought about it, it helped me see that I was right in leaving; he didn't want a great, loving marriage, because he wouldn't work to make a fantastic partnertship, he just wanted a to be married.

Also, the first guy I had a serious relationship with after my divorce got engaged to the person he met right after me. He was ready to be married, as he hinted at marriage and children and the whole package with me, but he was an alcoholic and I told him I couldn't be serious with someone who had a drinking problem.

It was an awesome, painful learning experience for me; during my marriage I knew what I wanted I just couldn't stand up for what I wanted, I just ****ed about it. This time I knew what I wanted and I didn't ****, I just said, this is what I have to have, and I didn't settle.

Sometimes when your x gets married it has nothing to do with how good or bad of a person you were, people get married for all kinds of reasons, and many times it doesn't include love.
 RhondaBonda76
Msg: 43
Posted: 4/10/2008 4:59:44 PM
I had this happen not to long ago myself. My Ex husband "tried" to give the original engagement ring that i had to his new GF. She found out about it when my Ex brother in law..... Whom i still talk to, to this day, told her it was mine. LOL. Needless to say that they are not getting married now. HAHA. I would be happy for him to remarry. He just needs to be faithful to whomever he is with. And with him it is not possible at all.

So men never change. Some men learn from their mistakes.

But for the thread. I just found out that after 2 years with someone that my Ex is ..... getting married to someone else. I was basically his slave. Cooked , cleaned, and got ignored. I have never felt so free in my life. Cause now he is someone else's problem. He now i can really close that door behind me and put stuff in front of the door so it never ever opens again.

*Rant off*

**4SLUUT**
Msg: 44
Posted: 4/10/2008 5:01:33 PM
Get over it...should have taken the chance with them before you were an "X"...thank the good Lord they are now someone else's problem!!! If you didn't want them for marriage at the time...must be a reason why!
 Twistiepearz
Msg: 45
Posted: 4/10/2008 5:35:34 PM
They're all engaged or married.. and I LOVE it.

Of course.. they end up miserable and wanting to come back within 2 years or less.. but I do so hope at least the one of them I don't keep in touch with is happy and healthy and grounded.

It's a life and if mine is included... not a single one of them were the *one* for me, as I wasn't the one for them either!
 beehearnow
Msg: 46
Posted: 4/11/2008 5:20:41 AM
i would feel bad for her...because I know she will be yelled at and belittled, presented to mutual friends as being "all screwed up" and very possibly be emailed a link to a thread on here where her personal history was distorted and presented as a "please give me advice" post by him.
 NERO1
Msg: 47
Posted: 4/11/2008 9:54:53 AM
Yeah that can be hard, OP. One of the (very few) girls I ever truly was "head over heels" for myself, albeit yrs ago, got married just this past Dec. I knew of the date of it, etc, thought a lot about it on that day, but, what can you do? Part of me wanted to just let her go, and part of me wanted to follow her into the parking lot of her work and strangle her with a pair of pantyhose, leaving some sort of bizarre "calling card" behind. J/K!!!!!

No, in all seriousness though, if she's happy then I am as well, for her.
 Straight Christian Lady
Msg: 48
Posted: 4/11/2008 10:25:05 AM
YAY!!!! I'm free ... that mess is all hers now, and since she seems so happy, fill their boots!
 JSP61
Msg: 49
Posted: 4/11/2008 2:29:02 PM
"Hasta la vista baby" comes to mind.
 QUICKSILVER217
Msg: 50
Posted: 4/11/2008 2:29:31 PM
Delighted, hope she really takes him to the cleaners in a way I never did, its only a matter of time.
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > How do you really feel seeing your EX get engaged?