Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it possible to fall in love with someone you never met?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 whome02
Msg: 751
Is it possible to fall in love with someone you never met?Page 31 of 61    (21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61)
I agree with smile with your eyes, it cant happen until you meet him, yes the feelings that you feel are good and if the 2 of you click once you meet than go for it and enjoy the time together. I wish you well in the search and maybe this man is the right one for you, but until you meet him you will never know, good luck
 The Black Knight
Msg: 752
Is it possible to fall in love with someone you never met?
Posted: 9/14/2006 5:58:18 PM
True Love is a choice served with trust, sacrifice and demonstration. It is not an euphoric feeling that comes and goes like the vapors in the wind. So yes you can choose to love someone whom you never met but after you meet you quickly fall out of that euphoria then it was just another vapor in the wind.
 Sweeter Then Honey..!
Msg: 753
Posted: 9/14/2006 9:34:57 PM
Ty Verissa I wondered how they did that...! lol
I will try this ...Watch me screw this up tho....? WOWWWWWWWW I DID IT, I'AM SO GOOD...! LMDFAO

For those that say you can fall in love with someone you've never met, you're not really falling in love with them, you're falling in love with the person you've created in your head [/word quote]

ITA W/ THAT ONE (forty-six and 2)

Light my fire
Msg: 754
Posted: 9/14/2006 9:45:25 PM
I could totally relate to what you are saying. It almost happened to me. Well I can't say almost. It has happened to me, but let me just say when I met this person he wasn't who he potrayed himself to be. But what I soon realized is that he wasn't really potraying nothing. It was my imagination that had created this wonderful and kind understanding person. It was like I was living in a fantasy world. It was so strange. I am now back to reality and he turned out to be just like the other sweet talkers. I just think to myself they are not all like that, but next time I will wait to see him in action and not his words in play.
 SpiriTofsinsity
Msg: 755
Posted: 9/14/2006 9:48:52 PM
OK, OK,OK already..... It's been 6 months, have you even met the guy yet? give us some sorta clue as to whatz really go'n on......
 Brian_Thorn
Msg: 756
view profile
History
Posted: 9/15/2006 5:57:52 AM

Well...the other danger is that even though you chat with this person you have no idea what they actually are..and go to some of the threads about liars on here. Not to be a buzzkill..but I've talked to guys who seemed perfect...their pics were nice...until you find out the pic isn't even them...and they look NOTHING like they said they did. When looks shouldn't matter...lies do...so trust me...you need to wait before you profess your love...until you physically meet.

If you meet..and you both click..then let the love happen..but don't put so much pressure on it until you meet..or you are putting him on a level he may not be able to jump up to. Good luck.

Listen, I just want to start off by saying, I am not bashing you, you apparently have your reasons for feeling how you feel, and it is your perogative to feel as you do. That being said though, just because some people got screwed over, just because you don't feel it can happen this way, does not mean that it can't or doesnt happen.

Again, I am not picking on you specifically, but rather people with the mindset you are displaying in general in this thread. Yes, bad things happen, yes there are liars, cheats, players, and con artists all over sites like these. It is simply because the initial anonymous nature of the "net" allows for this, sadly. That being said, if you persist in being jaded, and being cautious to the point of not opening yourself to other possibilities, not making room to trust, and not giving people a chance because of past bad experiences, you are never going to know if things like this can or ever will happen for yourself. Its like a self fulfilling prophecy.

Having said that, I will ask you this question; What does physicallity have to do with "Love"? "Love" is emotional, it takes place in the head and the heart, not in your loins. "Love Making" is a physical expression of love, but not love itself. If as the OP suggests, that this person has captured her soul via her mind, then why is that not possible, that she could love this man, and he love her in return, without having ever met? Hell for that matter, its commonly said, that our most powerful sexual organ is not our reproductive ones, but rather our brain.

Should she be cautious? The answer is undoubtably YES! But that being said, she needn't excercise any more caution than she would if she had met that person in person. A Lie, a scam, presenting false credentials is not something exclusive to those we meet on the internet that we haven't met in person. You jumped to conclusions that this man may not appear in person as he does on the internet. Perhaps she has seen pictures (perhaps several of them), perhaps she has even seen him on web cam (we don't know). All we know is that she has been talking to this man for quite some time, and she is possibly in love with him, even though they have never met.

Now the main question; can it happen and does it happen. I can tell you from personal experience it does in fact happen and can happen. It so happens that many years ago, in a news group about writing, I met a young woman from Australia. We talked for a long time, and became very fast friends. We began to collaborate on our writing, and spent an unsual amount of time together talking. Over the course of a year we fell in love, and continued to talk to each other every single day; on the phone, via email, webcam, whatever way we had available to us. Time zones, and schedules presented numerous difficulties, we were both young and as such the expense of getting together was rather prohibitive. It continued for 3 years, until she died at the tender age of 34. She was an incredible woman, and incredibly beautiful woman, so full of life, it was painful to watch that life fade away. But I know we loved each other, there was no question about that, and yet, we never met in person, because we couldnt. So yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

Have fun ;)
 whisper22
Msg: 757
Posted: 9/15/2006 6:20:11 AM
The beginning of love ....certainly, but I believe you will only know you are in love with the whole person when you meet.
 Brian_Thorn
Msg: 758
view profile
History
Posted: 9/15/2006 6:40:23 AM

I have had men here on POF tell me that they have fallen for my picture .. think that they are in love .. something about my eyes yet ..how is that poss when you have not met or even spoken on the phone ..

Not gonna profess love for you, but you do have very beautiful, soulful eyes Callies (leastwise in that picture). I think what they are expressing is infatuation, which isn't all that bad, I suppose. Infatuation is a good starting point, and it can either turn into love, or nothing. I believe Infatuation does have an expiration date. I think that is where that "3 month" rule I have read about, comes into play.

Have fun ;)
 singlelady40
Msg: 759
Posted: 9/15/2006 7:14:41 AM
One answer for such stupid question::::::

Bang our head on the wall. For it is even stupid to fall in love with someone you already know.. lots of headache.. what more if you havent met this one... gees take 5000 beers
 kingofaman
Msg: 760
Posted: 9/15/2006 8:35:17 AM
I am in love with somone i never met.....but i dont know who she is or looks like because i never met her.............Things that make you think Hummmmm??

Verissa
Msg: 761
Posted: 9/15/2006 2:35:53 PM
^^^^hehehehe smartass...if you'd taken the time to actually read. I know who he is and had a general idea of looks but the pictures weren't that great. As he works out of town a lot he had no way of putting a better one on here. Also I didn't say I didn't know him, I know him inside and out I had just never met him face to face at the time.

I have now and I can say with all honesty that the feelings I had then are the same now...I'm not saying that it will work, who knows, but I do adore him unconditionally.
 kingofaman
Msg: 762
Posted: 9/16/2006 10:36:15 AM
@ verissa.....?????....it was not a remark about you??? your remark made me read all you said in this forum......Hummmm...now a remark is to you.....your one of many ...you know the man from what he has told you and wants you to know... as for the photo.."no time/way to put a better photo on line".. you might want to suggest... walmart has cam's for 12 bucks......oh and just so you know....this is all in fun Im sure your a very sweet trusting girl

Verissa
Msg: 763
Posted: 9/16/2006 11:11:20 AM
^^^^^I still think you're a funny smartass...I can be a bit sarcastic...may have come across as offended but I'm not in the least.

Yepp I'm a silly & naive for sure and I suppose I only know him from here and the short time I spent with his friends and family, and the weeks of days and nights we spent together. As for the pic...yeah I'm sure Wallmart does and that’s all well and good but at the time he was in the bush working on the gas rigs...somehow I don't think Walmart has a franchise on site.

It’s something special to fall for someone on the inside. I can be, like many others, semi superficial about looks and whatnot. It was an amazing feeling to fall for someone on the inside. Too may people lie and that makes it hard to really trust someone. I'm just glad that he is who he is. We're not together but we're still in touch and you never know what will happen. You can get to know someone and care, even love them from talking...
 Sweeter Then Honey..!
Msg: 764
Posted: 9/16/2006 12:24:21 PM
I can be just as nieve as u Verissa, in fact I think if ppl were more honest, anyone can be really, just some ppl would rather seem superior then and 2 others....?
Were all only human and all make mistakes...? but it takes a bigger person 2 admit them!
I fell 4 someone online years back on Personals and never seen a pic!
As time went on I got 2 know him also from the inside and he didn't live 2 far away
which made it easier 2 finally meet!
We met in public Place 4 dinner and personally I thought he was GEEKY at first
but he was a very EDUCATED man!
Big ole glasses,Slicked back side parted Hair u get the pic...?
I wasnt even planning on going out w/ him again,
and yes I hate 2 admit I was being superficial...! lol
Well as it turned out he let me change his hair style to a spikey look and downsized
his glasses...!
Actually we went 2 EyeLand and he bought a matching tinted pair 4 both of us!
He was wearing Blue Jeans now and was soooooooo Handsome actually...! hehe
But unfournatley he wasn't honest about one thing!
And that was he had a bad liver and died w/ then 3 yrs of our relationship...!
So I moved back home and wasn't divorced yet...! long story, and started a divorce when
My hubby was dying also of liver problems, he asked me 2 be his caregiver and stop the divorce... as he never took me off of anything!
So again I watched someone I cared about he was my kids father dying of same thing
which is why I will never ever get envolved w/ someone again who drinks HEAVY...!
It truly is the most horrible death 2 see someone go thru....!
So the point here I feel is YES and NO.. U can fall enlove w/ someone u haven't met!
I truly believe 4 the most part it is the FANTASY of what we perceive 2 be luv until u actually do meet in person....then see if both still feel the same...?
I think u and I Versissa were just lucky this one time....?
but I wouldnt count on it happening 2 often.....! I do wish u the best of luck w/ this guy
and pray he's everything and more that u were searching 4...!
 CaliSparkle
Msg: 765
Posted: 9/16/2006 12:33:13 PM
NO. You cannot love what you do not know. And if you haven't even met, you hardly know anything at all. It is just infatuation, a longing for love. True love is based on the whole person after spending a lot of time together.

That's why love dies for many over time. it is only then that they begin to know who the person really is, and discover they are not in love with that.

:) Cali
 Dears_den
Msg: 766
Posted: 9/18/2006 12:10:54 AM
To one of ths site my profile is true talk too me.
 And Can It Be
Msg: 767
Posted: 9/18/2006 2:34:02 PM
No, you are falling in love with an illusion that you have made up. You may know a lot about this person, his likes and dislikes, the sound of his voice, his stories, his jokes, etc., but until you have actually spent time together, you cannot truly know each well enough to fall in love.
 lh90716
Msg: 768
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2006 7:38:30 PM
no u r livin n a fantasy world picturin your idea men in jus one sided u need the whole package for example a men n jail is feedin into your emotions playin into your mind tellin you things u want to hear but when reality hits and he comes home he is this other person stop livin in fantasy world and get a clue its the same with an abuser u wish that he can be the person u first met but in reality he is brainwashin u to pretend hes somebody hes not. jus to get u emotionally. its only fair to meet the person to see if u like him r not. physically as well as mentally. A man will play with your mind first to see wat is your weekness to the looks of it he jus found yours be carefull n lettin your guard down for the sweet talk
 BReal4US
Msg: 769
Posted: 9/18/2006 8:02:15 PM
Oh my...been there done that....But we did not meet...he was not REAL...he appeared to be everything a woman would want..But he was a scam.....so be careful...always guard your HEART!!!!!
 Kait06
Msg: 770
Posted: 9/19/2006 12:22:18 AM
Sure it is! Or is it? You get a wonderful chance to get to know someone inside and out through all the conversation that comes from meeting someone and becoming interested in them in a way that is totally unphysical. Everything they say, everything they do.. they can be seemingly perfect..... but only if they are the exact image of what they have been portraying to you. Possible..? Yes... Likely..? No. I keep my hands in my lap and mess with my cuticles and laugh too loud when I meet new people. That's not something someone I met online would know or something I would ever have a reason to say. It's all these little things about someone that add up to the big 'L' word.
 METALLlC BLUE
Msg: 771
Posted: 9/19/2006 4:00:46 AM
No. However It is possible to fall in love with the constructed ideal you've formulated in your head *about someone* who you haven't met and the possibility of seeing that construct manifest in reality thru the other person.

Rarely however does our construct overlay onto the person we're infatuated with [often think we're in love with] -- people aren't the sum of our perceived notions, they have shortcomings, and such which the construct never takes into account.
 Sweeter Then Honey..!
Msg: 772
Posted: 9/19/2006 6:42:40 AM
ITA w/ that a 100% anymore...(lh90716) I seem 2 attract guys who Play mind games more then Honest guys! Example... Thier is this guy who found me on Personals said he was a Science Teacher from Philly we exchanged fone Numbers as he didn't have IM...! 1st his name was George then after a week he told he wanted me to know his real name not his stage name as he put it...but i call it a nic name! Anyway he said he was falling 4 me and that his name is Paul! He seemed to be all I was looking 4 as far as... He was always respectful, we had alot of same interest, sense of humor, wanted to treat me as a QUEEN, even said he was going 2 marry me, which I'AM NOT READY 4 THAT ONE JUST YET....! LOL Owns his own home...! ect!
But yet this has been going on sense June 10th....? Owns a 2005 Kia but doesn't want 2 put miles on it 2 come meet me as he promised 3 different times...! said he prefers a Bus! Which would take 6 hrs instead of 3 hrs at most if he drove here? He sent me a card in the mail telling me how much he wanted to meet me and couldn't wait, said I was a foxy looking Lady!
Uses only a mobile fone which u can't trace...? said he would tell me everything I want 2 know when we meet in person, calls me now yesterday wanting me 2 come 2 Philly, which by the way I told him I won't drive that far not being familar w/ area or knowing enough about him...! He then wanted me 2 take a bus their saying it's only like $70 round trip...! So I told him I can't afford it....! he never offered to pay my way......? And that it still didn't change the fact I don't know enough about him, and if he couldn't come here on my turf then let's just 4 get this SHERADE...! I told him he could be MARRIED, which he said he never was...? or just a PLAYER , or an online PREDATOR....? I told him I'am 2 old 4 these games an hung up...! GUY'S WHAT'S WRONG W/ THIS PIC ? not that I haven't figured it out! lol
 kingofaman
Msg: 773
Posted: 9/19/2006 8:51:56 AM
WHATS WRONG WITH THIS PIC....It had red flags from the start...not to sound mean but Sweeter you make it easy for that type of person to prey on you..first...to get on a dating site you need to register...in turn you need a e-mail...RED FLAG 1....Real name -vs- stage name..lol RED FLAG 2....Many sensless reasons of not comming to you RED FLAG 3...so if you cant or wont see the flags you might want to read some self help/Dating tip books...3 strikes your out....the internet offers a safe haven for jerks who get off hurting and playing women...and women playing men also...if he was to hurt you or take you for what ever you have there is not too much you could of done about it...good thing you ended it.. before more damage was done and only a broke hart was suffered...
 Sir Angelis
Msg: 774
Posted: 9/19/2006 9:02:29 AM
In my opinion (which has been plentiful and often overstated today. LOL!)
Well before I state my opinion on this, I want to first repeat something I wrote earlier which is related and should be explained first...

I do not believe love is an EVENT, I do not believe that anyone has EVER "fallen into" it or had it "just happen" to them. It is MY belief that love is a PROJECT and is BUILT upon a solid foundation of trust, friendship and common ground. It is also my belief that anyone who claims to to have fallen in love, simply does NOT understand love.
Having said that, you are no doubt guessing that I am about to say, "no" right? Wrong! I DO believe that what you are askign about IS possible, BUT, very VERY difficult and rare. The simple reason is, the anonymity of the internet provides to many opportunities to be a coward. This is both good and bad, depending how it is used by both sides. It can make you bold enough to be honest and share your true self (though this is still often coloured with what we LIKE TO BELIEVE about ourselves, and while it isnt really lying, it is not necessarily totally realistic either.) So to answer your question, I beleive you can, if both side are real enough with each other. (phone conversations can help a BIT with voice inflection) but you will still have to VERIFY this love in person before you can be absolutely CERTAIN.
I truly hope that helps you. And dont' fear those who differ. Only YOU can live YOUR life. So live it YOUR way. If you ask an opinion, by all means, listen to and HEAR it, but remember that it is ONLY an opinion. Opinions have a tendency to be rather cheap to dispense and cheaper to buy wholesale, but when they prove out in practice, that is when the real gems of wisdom truly sparkle. :)
Go git 'em girl! There's only one way to find out! Good luck!

- Scotty
 smrt_guy28
Msg: 775
Posted: 9/19/2006 9:13:24 AM
I haven't read all of the posts, but in my opinion it is impossible to "fall in love" with someone you have never met. I do believe we can develop strong feelings for someone based upon their appearnce, but just feeling strongly towards them physically doesn't constitute love, it merely constitutes lust.... Until you actually meet the person and get to know their personality, you cannot say that you are in love with someone because a person is more then just their visible exterior. I hope for your sake that you get a chance to meet this guy (If you haven't all ready), and hopefully he is everything you wanted him to be and more! Good luck
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it possible to fall in love with someone you never met?