Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it possible to fall in love with someone you never met?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Manseekscompanion
Msg: 951
Is it possible to fall in love with someone you never met?Page 39 of 61    (21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61)

I dunno, never fallen in love with someone like this before. Its kind of hard to know if it is love or just fantasy

perfectfitz: Well, if you ever get to actually meet the person, you will probably find out one way or the other...

I believe it is possible, and not that far-fetched to meet someone through the internet, that you will be happy with... And if you are a reasonable distance apart you can be good friends before getting sex involved, because sex just screws everybodies mind, and logic goes out the window because emotions take over...
 S_sweet
Msg: 952
Is it possible to fall in love with someone you never met?
Posted: 11/29/2006 5:18:28 AM
I think words matter more then anything.I have been chatting with this guy on here for 8 months now never met him in person.but I do feel a connection between us and no its not fantasy I know what fantasy feels like and I know what love feels like.I do have strong feelings for him I love him like I have known him forever. when we first met I was down and he did make my life much better.plus I think he saved my marriage sounds stupid right.
 THUNDERKAT
Msg: 953
Posted: 11/29/2006 8:59:32 AM
it is so possible... i thought i was falling in love with this one dude ive never met from belgium...
but like once you meet somebody its totally a different feeling... so the whole internet thing phases you.
 Pragmatic
Msg: 954
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2006 5:18:41 PM
A very timely discussion- considering the great number of people using text windows and Instant messaging these days AND the growing number who rely on thie computers as a "first contact" device!
I think that is hard to "honestly" create an aire of love without meeting. Body language, contact-chemistry, and the other senses that tell us "right person, wrong person, maybe friend" is missing. There are inherent weaknesses that many of us have in writen text: its subject to our interpretations, we don't have the benefit of voice inflections to put meaning and emthasis on things said. To be connected with a person wh oshares common ideas is encouraging but it also can create false emotions.
It is likely that the IMAGE created of this person may never hold up to the real thing.
 weelamm
Msg: 955
Posted: 11/29/2006 6:19:11 PM
So AllergyFree,

To you, is love an emotion in the heart or a resonable chance that Sex will be invoved?

Don't get me wrong, sex is amazing and is often a part of a strong and healthy relationship but if one guages their emotions on how much they enjoy the sex, then they are missing out on a lot.

Intamacy is more important than just sex, in my mind. To be clear, Intamacy often leads to sex but think of the feelings you had during the last few moments before started leading to intercourse. That is he dividing line between love and lust.

Just as not all lust has to come strictly from love, not all love has to transmute into lust. Go watch Patch Adams and notice when he simply watches his partner sleep. That is love.

Wee-Lamm
 Roadkillsangel
Msg: 956
Posted: 12/4/2006 8:51:02 PM
I have to agree you can fall in love with someone over the net, to many people in the world worry to much about look's whatever happened to it's in the heart that matter's. I agree with the part that wee- lamm said where patch adams watch's her sleep. You can't guarntee where or how you'll find it or with who , love is everywhere online or off just follow your heart. It's better to know someone for personality then let the rest happen naturally, personality is forever look's change and fade.
 NOV1664
Msg: 957
Posted: 12/5/2006 12:29:36 AM
definitely possible for the daydreamers !!
 ~LoriMac~
Msg: 958
Posted: 12/5/2006 12:57:20 AM
YES...i believe it can happen...just remember you fall for the person you have been told they are...expect that they have faults...and flaws...many times the real person isnt what you expect at all. If you spend time getting to talk to them...and you get to know the person love is a possibility for sure though. For me i get to know a person's heart...when i spend a good deal of time learning about that I will know if its love....or just friendship. Meeting the person is just geography...not going to be a deal breaker no matter if they are generally the person i got to know
 Xian120
Msg: 959
Posted: 12/5/2006 5:37:02 AM
Love is a chemical thing, you can't get that over a computer..... take it slow.
 goldn
Msg: 960
Posted: 12/5/2006 5:48:11 AM
NO NO NO NO NO NO.........NOT POSSIBLE!
 Biggus1958
Msg: 961
Posted: 12/5/2006 7:19:54 PM
Yes....but you either have to have a lobotomy or read 3000 romance novels
 Verissa
Msg: 962
Posted: 12/6/2006 4:28:33 PM
To be honest I was one of the biggest cynics of love in general that you would ever meet until I met Shayne. I tried not talking to him, and he kept writing and then I gave in and he turned out to be wonderful...go figure. So I do understand how some would feel that it is not possible to really love someone for whom they are on the inside but it is entirely possible. If we'd met and everything had been a lie it wouldn't be love any less than it was before but then it would for sure be love based on lies and fantasy. If someone is honest and portrays who they are for real in the real world and are the same people on here as in the real world I really think that it can become a true and lasting romance. If they lie then yeppers you are all 100% correct that it is all fantasy and lies and though the feelings might have been real the person is not so the love is void.
 ~LoriMac~
Msg: 963
Posted: 12/7/2006 7:27:07 AM
i dont know about it being totally null and void but definetly not the same...something new is possible though...so i keep my heart open to that.
 kingofaman
Msg: 964
Posted: 12/7/2006 7:33:31 AM
Nothing is impossible to a willing heart
Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart, but trusting them not to It's impossible to find someone who will never hurt you, so go for the one who's worth all the pain.True love is distinguished by what it offers, not by what it demands.The best angle from which to approach any problem is the 'try' angle.
 curlygrl
Msg: 965
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2006 7:48:21 AM
I think it is more like a crush - they say all the things you long to hear - they
think you are beautiful, smart, easygoing, etc. You build up this image - even
though you are having these deep conversations and they are telling you things
about themselves you should really be paying attention too : red flags aflyin eveywhere!!
You feel for them - and it is very real. Even maybe if they are not - Yeah - I have been
there. He was and is everything even though maybe he doesnt think he is - he was to
me for that short period of time. But then sometimes you meet and well - Sometimes you
cry. I cant say it is not worth it - becuase it is and it was. Down to every last tear.
 *Rain*
Msg: 966
Posted: 12/7/2006 7:57:33 AM
yep, I think it is VERY possible to fall in love with someone you have never met face to face. You talk for months on end...you get to know the person inside out. YES, there is a chance that you won't like him after the meet....but not likely if you really got to know him first, before the meet.
 tatyana28
Msg: 967
Posted: 12/7/2006 8:58:57 PM
I completely agree with you. It's kind of tricky... you might think you're in love with that person until you see them... right? Now...if you're attracted to that person.. well... now.. that's a big bonus...but if not.. then.. it's kind of awkward..
 bigteddybear_2005
Msg: 968
Posted: 12/11/2006 1:12:11 PM
Yes it is possible ,and it just happened to me one week ago. I meet someone on this site,she is the most wonderful thing that has happened to me.I felt like i knew her before i met her. it was love instantly. I never thought it would happen to me..Then when we were going to meet we both had butterflies in our stomachs. she makes me feel great and i know we are going to be together for a long time. And i too am falling deeper in love everytime i spend time with her.. much thanks to POF.... good luck to you and enjoy your man..... bye
 sami_you
Msg: 969
Posted: 12/11/2006 1:22:04 PM
I don't believe you can actually fall in love with someone online, but I do believe that you could love someone in who you've only ever talked to online. I just don't believe its actually possible to fall in Love with someone that you've never actually met. There is a chemistry you need to have in person in which you can't have over the internet.
 Jewels4106
Msg: 970
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2006 5:28:17 AM
The glue that holds a solid relationship together for the long term comes from within. If two people are honest and true to the answers and open with the questions I completely believe it is possilble. In fact, I know it has happened to people. Meeting can be just the icing on the cake. Life is what you make of it. Faith is a strong asset. Kingofaman you've nailed it.
 carpemd
Msg: 971
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2006 6:14:11 AM
I have no doubt that it's possible for some individuals to fall in love with someone they've never met.

There is no set pattern of emotional response.

But, it wouldn't happen for me. Nor, I suspect, would it happen for the majority of people.

Love is such a strong emotion that human contact is a prerequisite.
 Fireand Ice
Msg: 972
Posted: 12/12/2006 7:01:37 AM
This is an excellent thread.. i do believe you can become infatuated with someone... But you truly need the physical aspect you make those feelings whole.
 Sweet Sensations
Msg: 973
Posted: 12/12/2006 7:16:00 AM
^^^^
Exactly....

I too would now have to say a definite NO.

I had this happen once in my life with a long distance contact. I never did meet the person. In the end he admitted he loved somebody else. I realized I'd been a fool and dancing sugar cookies in my head. I got caught up in my own wishful thinking and illusions.

Reality made none of it real. His Honesty set me and my heart free.

I will still say however... I will always wonder what it would have been like to have met him.

The feelings you have are very real. But that is all you have is feelings.

You don't know this man in person. You don't know his essense in real life. You don't know his smell. You don't know how he moves. You don't know his expressions. You don't know his touch.

Only until you can look into his eyes and see that man in the flesh will you know if it is and can be real.

Go meet him... until you do ... you will never know.... and be caught up in the hopes and desires of him.
 electric_jester62
Msg: 974
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2006 7:39:55 AM
I don't care what anyone else thinks....... You are damn right you can ! That isn't where the problem is though..

Like the first respondant to your post said....there is a physical part of it too. I'd like to twist her response though and say.... If everyone did it your way first, there probably wouldn't be near the whining you hear on here. The test comes when you DO meet the person. If you are truly in love with them, it won't make a damn bit of difference to you what they look like. If it does, you were just hung in your own little fantasy. The ones that fall in love with looks first are the ones that get burned.
 juan_valdez
Msg: 975
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2006 7:44:34 AM
What you are experiencing is simply your own desires and imagination made manifest.
Not having met this person , you imagine how wonderful his touch , his caress, his kiss would be ... but know that what you are feeling is not real.

The only way to know is to meet someone and see them as flesh and blood , not perfect , with their own (hopefully) amusing idiosyncrasies .
UNTIL you have spent time with someone , heard what they think on topics which are important to you, see how they act in various situations, you are only playing in your minds sandbox.
Good luck and spend some time with the fella !
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it possible to fall in love with someone you never met?