Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it possible to fall in love with someone you never met?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jodea
Msg: 1001
Is it possible to fall in love with someone you never met?Page 41 of 61    (21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61)
wow, your experience sounds a lot like one i had recently. He didn't turn out to be a con-artist but he was hiding something. He was need of rescuing which i chose not to do. Good luck with yours, just try to be cautious and recognize the signals when you meet.

good luck sista.
 kingofaman
Msg: 1002
Is it possible to fall in love with someone you never met?
Posted: 12/18/2006 5:49:07 PM
Anything is *possible* My worry here is that it would be impossible to avoid creating aspects of this person in your own mind...idealizing (not that we avoid that all the time in face-to-face relationships). Being truly in love with a person, and I mean in love with all the blood and guts and illness and terrible taste in music or art or that gross perfume they insist on wearing or the fact that they refuse to wear anything manufactured by walmart or their mangy cat or pet snake or snoring or never doing their laundry or leaving the milk out or mood swings or chewing with their mouth open or refusing to eat anything other than lean cuisine or constant quoting of Oprah or watching sex in the city 24/7 or their wacky hat collection or their refusal to miss watching friends reruns, etc. etc. etc. To really, deeply love a person, and to have that person love you, is a pretty huge job for both people involved. When you are not around a person physically, it is much easier to put your best self forward, on the phone or on email, and not focus on all of the everyday garbage that actually makes us who we are. I think it is possible to have a very strong connection with a person you have never met, but to actually be in love with them?...I think you have to experience a person on a daily basis before that can really take hold. I mean, think about all the weird stuff about you that doesn't get conveyed over email. But as I said, anything is possible.
 ex-navy
Msg: 1003
Posted: 12/18/2006 6:07:26 PM
I met my EX wife on the internet. Once I left the military, she divorced me. She came out with a complaint that she never once tried to talk to me about. So in short yes, I believe that you can fall in love with a person's personality over the net, but it's what you're not able to see in everyday life that really determines things. Anyone can make themself look like a god on the net, but what's going on once the comp. is off? Be carefull is my advice.
 sassysexyrebel
Msg: 1004
Posted: 12/19/2006 9:29:36 AM
Great Post Kingofaman .... (( But I'd have to draw the line at quoting Oprah and snakes lol, we all got our limits ))

Ya'll
 ChocolateFlower
Msg: 1005
Posted: 12/19/2006 11:25:14 PM
I met the most amazing man that way. We talked on the phone for 2 years.
We worked for the same company but in different states. There was a lot of flirtation but who would have thought we would actually meet. After 2 years we met and we couldn't get enough of each other. At first I thought it was just lust but after 6 months, we would both still cry when we were not together. finally we decided we needed to be togther, so I moved to his state and we stayed together for 7 wonderful years...at this point most would ask, if it was so wonderful, why aren't you guys still together. Well, let's just say the forces of nature wouldn't let us be. I had to be the voice of reason and let it go. there were children involved and I just couldn't let the children suffer anymore by the hands of a very evil mother, torture the kids, punish the father. So I bailed. But he was My first love, and he could put up with my crap like no body's business.
 babyangel07
Msg: 1006
Posted: 12/20/2006 4:03:12 PM
it is possibel. because i have. i love my b/f from the inside . he makes me feel good about myself. and were meeting after christmas .
 ~LoriMac~
Msg: 1007
Posted: 12/20/2006 4:21:01 PM
I think if your open to anything ...then anything can happen...regardless of distance...age...race...etc.

I am in a sentimental sort of mood today
 coolncracked
Msg: 1008
Posted: 12/25/2006 6:03:20 PM
I guess not!

When your start with someone, you put your best foot forward and from a distance, its very easy to manage that! When you meet somebody in person; and for a while; then you figure our whether you love him/her as a whole with all the good things and bad things.

I can tell you my personal experience. My ex left me for somebody with whom she chatted and talked on the phone, now she calls me and says its not what she had imagined:)

Merry xmas and happy holidays
 *Illsa
Msg: 1009
Posted: 12/25/2006 6:41:59 PM
I had thought so...but as of today I would say NOPE..Positively,absolutely,definately...NOPE...
 honest_man570
Msg: 1010
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2006 2:01:54 AM
The answer to the question above is yes! Because something that everyone seems to forget lately is that meeting someone on a site like this and talking to them before rushing and meeting them gives you achance to explore their personality and dig deeper into just who they are! It actually gives you a chance to decide if this person is right for you and to ask yourself the question can I see myself with this person in the future. People need to remember that its not whats on the outside that makes a person beautiful it's their personality that defines their character! They can be the most attractive person in the world but have a completely disgusting personality then what do you do? For those looking for only sex then I guess it would'nt matter to you but for those of us looking for much more it can make a world of difference! Love starts by communication not physical attraction!!!!!
 Love to chat....
Msg: 1011
Posted: 12/27/2006 3:44:04 AM
I think it is possible to feel that you are falling in love with someone you never met....as so much of love is a meeting of the minds....and that is possible with talk/email/chat...but meeting in person determines whether that feeling is a reality or not....what if they are a really bad kisser... that will end things for sure...I had that experience anyway....
 deadwh*re
Msg: 1012
Posted: 12/27/2006 3:48:00 AM
God no fall in lust maybe sure. You really dont know someone till you are face to face with them and interact with them. You mentioned *the thought of their touch, kiss etc* see there is something right there, its only YOUR imagination imaging how they actually touch, kiss etc, you really have no idea. Fantasy is usually better than reality.
 anewchapter
Msg: 1013
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2006 3:53:00 AM
Having done on-line dating off and on for nearly 10 years with very limited success I would have to say, I still don't know... I used to believe emphatically that you could fall in love with someone's soul (for which the internet and phone are the perfect forum) and yet having never met them in the flesh. I was probably being too idealistic and naive... Now I just think it is a starting point.

But it should be possible that the foundations that you have built through communication without presence could lead to or continue into love when you do meet and spend time together.
 LizzBabe
Msg: 1014
Posted: 12/29/2006 1:26:27 PM
It is VERY possible...had it happen to me couple of times....
 bucsgirl
Msg: 1015
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2006 1:34:40 PM
It's happened for generations. All the penpals who fell in love and got married across countries and continents. All the soldiers who came back from war to marry someone they only knew through letters. Not one story, but thousands.
It is totally possible to fall in love with someone through written word, whether letters or email. Communication is much more global and instantaneous than ever, and taken for granted. Thankfully, it hasn't made falling in love through the written word obsolete.
 PurpleSplat
Msg: 1016
Posted: 1/2/2007 3:23:12 PM
Yes, it is possible.

People tend to forget that it's completely possible to fall for someone based on their personality alone. Not everyone is about looks.

While the average person balances both the physical aspect with the emotional one, it's not uncommon for a person to fall for another based on who they are.

The problem with online dating, is that it appears to me, that it's powered more by the physical appearance of the person than their personality. Unfortunately, this does not build good relationships.

Now, if you were asking about falling for someone based on how they looked, to me, that's nothing more than lust.

There was a guy on here who said that lust and love have a big gap between them, I disagree with that as well, as lust can easily be misconstrued as love.
 knocer05
Msg: 1017
Posted: 1/3/2007 9:23:33 AM
I agree 100%. I have had an online love for a about 4 months. I met him on another site. He called me one night and we talked forever till wee hours of the morning. Boy time flew. We never ran out of things to talk about. He lived in Texas and was moving to Tampa to finish school. He flew down and stayed for a few days. He was just as he lead on to be. A true man. Things did not work between us, the distance was still an issue. We talk all the time if it is to only say hello. Falling in love with someone over the net is possible because you get to see the inside verses the out. Keep an open mind.
 luvredwine
Msg: 1018
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2007 7:21:40 PM
I totally agree, it does take physical attraction before you know for sure. Plus there may be the physical thing going on, but you have to meet to get to know the personality side as well.

I'll take half the bashing for ya, smile
 PrettyRedWolf
Msg: 1019
Posted: 1/3/2007 8:08:37 PM
I think it's completely possible to fall in love with someone you havn't met. But hon I'd say be careful because knowing them through the internet isn't the same as in person he could just be s aying things he knows you want to hear or something and He could have terrible defects of character so be careful ok
 CrystallineSunshine
Msg: 1020
Posted: 1/3/2007 8:16:49 PM
41 pages of replies and still going strong! Waaaaahooo!

You know what? I believe it can happen. And I believe in love at first sight, too.

The thing is, I believe a lot of things that other make fun of me for believing in. Like... ghosts... and hauntings... and prince charming... and happily ever after.. and... faeries... and.... unicorns :)

I'm just not afraid to admit I believe in this things. And I could care less if people make fun of me or flame me for any of it because it takes more than a bunch of yackity-yack to make me change the way I think and feel. Yup!

So yes... I do believe it is possible to fall in love with someone you have yet to meet. And if you believe it, then it's even MORE possible!!!

Wicked Wabbit
Msg: 1021
Posted: 1/3/2007 8:30:40 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Yep EXACTLY what she just said!

You can and there is no doubt in my mind and nobody is going to change it either! You go girl!!!!
 CrystallineSunshine
Msg: 1022
Posted: 1/3/2007 9:06:10 PM
^^^^^ Hey... I forgot to mention that I believe in karma, too... and girl, you got lots of that... good karma that is.

I think anyone who believes... is someone to stick close to. Faith is hard to come by these days. And I honestly think without faith... love is harder to come by.

So I say... believe, dream, give things a shot... and take some risks. Your heart may want you to do some stupid things sometimes, but, every once in a while, it leads you to something wonderful.

LBP
Msg: 1023
Posted: 1/3/2007 10:10:27 PM

I've met guys who were nice...but never smiled in their pics...

Even worse, your fantasy man actually has most of his front teeth missing. Yep, its happened to me. If you can't even smile in public, its an issue.

I wish you the best too but you may end up hurting yourself and him if you don't go into it with your eyes wide open. Before you fall completely know these things...

1. On the internet almost everyone puts their best foot forward. In real life, their faults are far more apparent. Faults easily hidden by a cam even.

2. Many people are completely unaware of their own faults and have enhanced visions of themselves. They aren't lying if they actually believe their spin on themselves.

3. Even the most seasoned chatter can tell you that they have filled in the blanks unconsciously to fit a profile that is appealing to them. We assume things we shouldn't because we are on the same level in so many other places.

4. There is a LARGE amount of people on the internet who will tell you what they think you want to hear rather than what they are actually feeling just to get you. Even when confronted, they will swear up and down they aren't doing this when they are.

5. Infatuations over the internet are easily started. It would be an interesting pole to hear just how many individuals have said, "I love you" on the internet only to search for escape routes when reality sets in.

6. I hate to say this but if he's putting in a huge amount of effort above what you are used to in reality, chances are, its because he thinks you're above what he's managed to ever attain in reality. There are usually reasons for this. Women aren't so unique in some of our basic wants and needs in relationships differ. Things like hearing, "you are different than all the other girls", "you don't seem as superficial as other women", "bad teeth run in my family" (no mention of their own), "I'm going to buy a house eventually, get rich, get a car, get ..etc..." (do they have a realistic plan or are they just dreaming and taking you along for the ride).

I don't feel its superficial when I've been working damn hard all my life to achieve some of these things. I want to be with a doer not a talker. So do a lot of other women. Men who talk instead of do often call women superfical because they can't see past their dyfunctional maladaptive behavior to their inner beauty.
 NatGoat
Msg: 1024
Posted: 1/4/2007 12:12:59 AM
SURE!!!
I fell-In-Love Three Times...TODAY...!!!
It's just a Pity that Piddly little things like 'Distance' and 'Age' matter so much to _Most_ women...!!
I'm almost 52...but won't reach 35 for _Several_ more years..!!!
I'll play baseball, soccer, frisbee and hockey...all in the same DAY!!
...and...I'd JUMP at the chance to Fall-In-Love [again] if a Nice, Attractive Lady would show her good taste in Gentlemen, and that she wanted a "Committed Relationship" as much as I do...!!!
 truthisstrange
Msg: 1025
Posted: 1/7/2007 9:49:45 PM
MShakespeare and his counterparts have fans to this day and they are dead yet women still swoon to the words. Words are after all our only connection to G_d and what greater love is there.
Therefore in my humble opinion live on love on and always love in all of its shapes and sizes cheers to you both
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it possible to fall in love with someone you never met?