Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ixtlan09
Msg: 1371
Is it possible to fall in love with someone you never met?Page 51 of 61    (21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61)
You will meet him. You will immediately have sex. And the relationship will be over in less than three months.

Remember, you heard it hear first.
 NJ_Phil
Msg: 1372
Is it possible to fall in love with someone you never met?
Posted: 12/27/2011 5:17:45 PM
I've read every post here. 5643 people said NO, 3541 people said YES, 1745 people said maybe and I still can't figure out what Sharon said.
 ruspukin
Msg: 1373
Posted: 12/27/2011 6:56:16 PM
once he meets you, all that good stuff will start going southward
 Lookingformore62
Msg: 1374
Posted: 12/27/2011 7:03:15 PM
NO. That's just a fantasy that happens often to people who are new to internet dating. Those of us who have been here awhile know not to trust that feeling and that all bets are off till you meet face to face. I'll take it a step futher and say I prefer meeting people within a few days of communicating. The longer you keep up the "fantasy" without meeting, the more likely you will be disappointed. Expectations just get bigger and bigger the more you communicate without having met in person.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 1375
Posted: 12/27/2011 7:11:42 PM
~OT~ Of course it is. I've deeply loved very few people in my lifetime. Of those I have? Two I have never met. Those two, one man and one woman ~ I hold deeply in my heart/head/soul. I have no intent on meeting either of those two in person, yet when it comes to tried/true love? I speak of those two people first and foremost. Personally? I think this is where most people online get a skewed perception. We profess to "love the person for who they are" not "what they look like" but those are the same people who think you can't "love" without a physical presence. I can love deeply, honestly and without constraints, if the person I love is true of heart, soul, mind. That takes NO physical presence. Therefor? My opinion is that? Yes, indeed!!! You can love someone you've never met. (I get the whole arguement on the topic, however? I think many forget ~~~ love is not just about "romantic" love...there are all types of love. Sad so few clause that in.) JMO
 VirtuallyLove
Msg: 1376
Posted: 12/27/2011 7:48:16 PM
Lookingformore:

"NO. That's just a fantasy that happens often to people who are new to internet dating. Those of us who have been here awhile know not to trust that feeling and that all bets are off till you meet face to face. I'll take it a step futher and say I prefer meeting people within a few days of communicating. The longer you keep up the "fantasy" without meeting, the more likely you will be disappointed. Expectations just get bigger and bigger the more you communicate without having met in person."

In my case, the expectations did get bigger and bigger...and yet were exceeded in the actual meeting.

People's experience with virtual dating varies WILDLY. That's why I'm perfectly comfortable getting to know someone virtually. How well you are prepared for the first meeting - and how pleasantly or unpleasantly you are surprised, if at all - depends in large measure on how honest and thorough you and your virtual partner have been in your communication. Tons of photos (Skype is helpful) and in-depth conversation is a must. This is not for impatient, low-attention span, non-verbal or dishonest people.
 sweetchic
Msg: 1377
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2011 8:14:06 PM
I have a friend who lives next door who says she's in total love with a guy she's been speaking to for over a year, he's from France and she's from here (Montreal, Quebec Canada). She's obbessed with him, she laughs, crys and even argues with like he's her husband. They talk over skype all the time, and she tells me all the time that she doesn't care what anyone says, she's really in love with this guy and that's it. Everytime I visit her she does nothing but talk about him as if he lived close by or something. There's nothing you can say that will change her mind either. I even told her it once happened to me, I had been talking to a man from New York for almost a year and thought the very same thing, but once he drove up here and we met ...it was all over, the chemistry over emails and talking on the phone was definitely not the same. Actually when I think about it, it was just a waste of time, or maybe something I had to learn, who knows !!
Sometimes I feel sorry for her because she's so consumed with him and his BS that she's letting every thing else in her life go. Personally I think it's a mad crush rather than real love, but nothing you say will change this poor womans mind. He never says he'll move here and she says she would never move there. I am not sure what this will turn into, and if she doesn't here from every day, she gets really crazy... Is this love or a mad crush ???
 free4all131220
Msg: 1378
Posted: 12/28/2011 12:26:56 AM
up until now i didn't think so, i was always to practical to believe it. but i've been in exclusive chat with someone for a month now, and i'm positive that i love her, and i'm confident she loves me too. Meeting is the final test and it will happen soon. distance has been our only barrier.
 TimeEnoughForLove
Msg: 1379
Posted: 12/28/2011 2:58:30 AM
I'm a wreck

You really answered your own question with the above statement. No it is not love, it is more like 'feeling grateful'. It could turn into love, but that cannot be known without having personal experience. Until then it is simply fantasy.

You met someone who gave you emotional support. You found 'a port in a storm' and that made you feel very comfortable and secure. Your motivation is to get rid of depression and despair which is very normal. The problem is you are using an on line dating service instead of seeking help via more appropriate channels such as counseling services. The motives of the appropriate channels are known.....the motives of the person you met on line are not known.
 SeaCatcher
Msg: 1380
Posted: 12/28/2011 4:39:16 AM
It's all in your mind, my friend. Until you have actually met someone face to face, what you have fallen in love with is an idea of a person, not the person themselves.
 SeaCatcher
Msg: 1381
Posted: 12/28/2011 4:39:40 AM
It's all in your mind, my friend. Until you have actually met someone face to face, what you have fallen in love with is an idea of a person, not the person themselves.
 Lookingformore62
Msg: 1382
Posted: 12/28/2011 8:34:18 AM
VirtuallyLove (your screen name says it all...)
"Tons of photos (Skype is helpful) and in-depth conversation is a must. This is not for impatient, low-attention span, non-verbal or dishonest people. "

I don't get why someone would bother with all this unless the person isn't local. In my case, I don't communicate with people who aren't local because I am not looking to relocate and would never want someone to relocate for me. And if someone on POF is only here for virtual stimulation, I wouldn't bother with communicating with them. I find the "tons of photos, skype and in depth conversation" are an absolute waste of my time. I am here to actually meet people in person.

"This is not for impatient, low-attention span, non-verbal or dishonest people."
Well I am definitely NONE of the above! I am just looking for a REAL relationship not a virtual one. Call me old school, but I think you get to know someone by interacting in person not through computer monitors.
 CptJohnSheridan
Msg: 1383
Posted: 12/28/2011 9:59:16 AM
Quite simply, no. You can fall in love, but it is with your image of the person, not the person. I am not talking about aesthetics. Until you spend time with someone, you do not experience the quirks that might endear you... or drive you insane. Until you spend time with someone, your mind fills in the blanks with fantasy. Not fair to you, or to the other person, either, because no one can live up to that.
 Seakyttten
Msg: 1384
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2011 12:19:05 PM
I may have posted to this thread before and I do believe you can fall in love with the 'idea' of whom someone is but based on my past experiences on here the person is nothing like the kind soul they portray themselves to be..just the opposite. They were evil and vengeful when I rejected them and god help the next person they 'befriend' in my opinion.

Be very careful in answering e-mails from strays..white trash whether it be male or female are experts at shape shifting.

Seakytten
 coyotefeller
Msg: 1385
Posted: 12/28/2011 2:56:08 PM

I've read every post here.
5643 people said NO, 3541 people said YES,
1745 people said maybe and
I still can't figure out what Sharon said.

That's maybe because you fell for Sharon !??
 DoubleParked
Msg: 1386
Posted: 12/28/2011 3:12:13 PM
There are so many kinds of love. At times, if I didn't have Cyber Luv, I wouldn't have no luv at all! ;-)

XXs and OOs
 Single_21
Msg: 1387
Posted: 12/28/2011 5:40:37 PM
I met mine And I havnt seen him
 VirtuallyLove
Msg: 1388
Posted: 12/28/2011 5:50:54 PM
Looking -

Your reply doesn't seem to address what I wrote at all. The question at hand was the claim that extended virtual communication must involve fantasy, and therefore people will likely be disappointed or surprised when they meet.

That didn't happen to me, largely because we practiced the antidote to fantasizing - honesty, in-depth conversation, and lots of visuals. That has nothing to do with relocation or whether people ought to postpone meeting each other in person, etc.

But on the subject of relocation, my point is this: if finding your best mate is less important than relocating, then by all means you should not relocate. For me, location is not my highest value - not even close - and certainly not comparable to the value of finding a compatible mate for life.

CynM
Msg: 1389
Posted: 12/28/2011 6:24:17 PM
The question at hand was the claim that extended virtual communication must involve fantasy, and therefore people will likely be disappointed or surprised when they meet.

That didn't happen to me, largely because we practiced the antidote to fantasizing - honesty, in-depth conversation, and lots of visuals. That has nothing to do with relocation or whether people ought to postpone meeting each other in person, etc.

But on the subject of relocation, my point is this: if finding your best mate is less important than relocating, then by all means you should not relocate. For me, location is not my highest value - not even close - and certainly not comparable to the value of finding a compatible mate for life.

+1
I'm tied to my current location until summer 2012 but then I'm free to go anywhere. I have not found a compatible mate anywhere in this metropolitan area so I cast my net wide.
OT, yes I believe it is possible to fall in love with someone I've never met face to face. Comes down to your definition of love and your definitio of "met". Some people are much more literal and conservative than I. To each their own. I have different priorities than holding to narrow interpretations of words or building walls around my heart.
 Padawan61
Msg: 1390
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2011 7:26:20 PM
No ... you can't fall in love with someone you've never met. However, a person can be fooled into befriending such people ... because of the false pleasantries they exhibit (initially) in order to draw you into their chaotic drama-filled delusional lives ... until their true toxic nature comes to the surface. Moreover, these types of crazies are masters at projecting their own ugliness onto others so they don't have to face it themselves. A mirror is their worse enemy.
 VirtuallyLove
Msg: 1391
Posted: 12/28/2011 8:05:20 PM
Right on, Cyn (though I admit I was hoping for a +1.5 ;)

If people want to erect barriers between them and love - if they'd rather work out 24/7 than make time for a mate, or focus all or most of their energy on their kids, or work long hours for days on end, or travel constantly, or confine their search within thirty miles of their house, or make their career first, or treat a potential mate as a lesser value than their friends, family, children, and pets because "lovers come and go but friends/family/children/pets are forever" - then more power to them.

I just think they need to be honest about their priorities, and what the likely result of them will be.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 1392
Posted: 12/28/2011 8:13:39 PM

And if someone on POF is only here for virtual stimulation, I wouldn't bother with communicating with them. I find the "tons of photos, skype and in depth conversation" are an absolute waste of my time. I am here to actually meet people in person.

"This is not for impatient, low-attention span, non-verbal or dishonest people."
Well I am definitely NONE of the above! I am just looking for a REAL relationship not a virtual one. Call me old school, but I think you get to know someone by interacting in person not through computer monitors.

I completely agree with Lookingformore62 as far as romantic love goes.
 xAvaAdore
Msg: 1393
Posted: 12/29/2011 2:35:37 AM
No you are falling in love with an idea you've made up in your head - pure fantasy.
Not real.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 1394
Posted: 12/29/2011 3:42:09 AM
you can make an introduction, learn a bit about a person from what they want you to see.... it all changes face to face.
Ever read a book that was made into a movie ? How many have disappointed you with the Directors, Writers, Producers, Actors rendition of it vs what was in your head ?..... how many blew it out of the water and you enjoyed way more than the book ?
same - same. It ain't real, until you're face to face - all the virtual world, WoW, Skype, NuVu , hell even here - it is all cr@p until you are face to face..... ..........and then the real lying starts.
 Deja Dude!!
Msg: 1395
Posted: 12/29/2011 9:43:07 AM
Yup. I`ve been there.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >