Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 eddie0221
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Dog owners with 2 or more dogs at homePage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I have 2 dogs. I did not get them at the same time but three months later. They were puppies. Moka was trained perfectly when I got the new pup. When the new pup came into the picture, all the training for moka went out the window. So I would say get them together. Im also single and work. I used the crate training method which worked very well. When I'm at work, they are both closed off in a large laundry room together.

My dogs are always together and you can not seperate them without them looking for one another. They even sleep snuggled against eachother. My moka is 75 lbs and Lady is 25 lbs so it is very amusing sometimes to see them play.
 Antagonist
Msg: 12
Dog owners with 2 or more dogs at home
Posted: 3/22/2006 11:27:33 AM
Raising 2 pups together is not the best idea. In doing so each one will learn the other is more fun than you are. You want the puppy to look to you for everything, this will help enormously with obedience training. Buy a crate and use it.

I breed, train and show Siberian huskies and chow chows - easily two of the most independent and stubborn breeds.
 ASB
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/22/2006 2:36:05 PM
I don't know if anyone posted what I'm gonna post (probably), I didn't read.

But I don't think it would be a good idea to get puppies if no one will be with them. They are like kids. Can't really leave them alone. And I understand the crate training, but that in my opinion is kinda cruel to leave them in a cage all day. Kinda defeats the purpose of having dogs. Dogs are kinda like people. Can't shut them away when you don't want to be with them, then take them out when you want them. But they would get into everything and ruin too much. For someone single and alone? Get a cat or 2. They sleep most of the day anyway.

Good luck!
 Antagonist
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/22/2006 4:01:35 PM
Can't really leave them alone. And I understand the crate training, but that in my opinion is kinda cruel to leave them in a cage all day. Kinda defeats the purpose of having dogs. Dogs are kinda like people. Can't shut them away when you don't want to be with them, then take them out when you want them.

I don't mean to step on your toes but this statement shows lack of knowledge when it comes to training canines and their behavior. Do you think it's cruel to put a baby in a crib? It's just like that.

Dogs are NOT people. Please, do not try to humanize them. Train them like they are dogs, only love them like they are people.

OP, it is a bad idea to raise two puppies together. Wait 12-24 months before introducing your puppy/dog to a new addition. During the wait socialize your puppy by taking it out for many walks where you may pass other dogs being walked. Immediately correct any unwanted posturing, growling, or barking at the strange dogs.

If you want to send me a private email I can give you my web address and the scoop on a great training forum that discusses your same dilema . Your settings do not allow me to message you.

Another tip that's vital; Research your breed of choice BEFORE you get it!!!
 Double Cabin
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2006 6:02:03 PM
With all due respect to Antagonist, why buy a breed? Why not give a home to a dog that needs it instead of encouraging the production of Dogs that can ultimately come to be considered disposable just like the puppy at the pound? Be a life saver, give life to a condemned mutt.

Antagonist
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/22/2006 9:02:57 PM
Save it Double Cabin. Your suggestion makes as much sense as telling people not to breed their own children, just adopt.

If she wants a pomeranian she has every right to get one. The point of a pure bred dog is so you know what you are getting! Most breeds exist to serve a specific purpose.

TallVirgo, your settings still do not allow me to message you. You can message me if you want. You certainly don't have to. BTW, I thought you were about 19, just realized you're 38! You do not look it.

I have a working breed, too; Siberian huskies. Of course, chows are guard dogs but were once agile hunters. They are both members of the spitz family...as are pomeranians!
 serendipitee
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/22/2006 11:15:11 PM
When I adopted my first dog, she was 5 and I was working full-time and in an apartment. She was perfectly happy as an "only" dog for 4 years, even though I always believed you should have two to keep each other company if you were gone all day. In my infinite wisdom, when she was 9 and we moved to a house, I got her some pals (fostered 7 six-week-old pups for the SPCA and ended up keeping three). My eldest more or less put up with the pups, but it was obvious she could take them or leave them. Having had an "only" and "multiples", I'd recommend having an "only". Chances are you'll have a closer bond and it will not adversely effect the pup/dog.

Moving right along... having had multiple puppies... I do NOT recommend it! I found it next to impossible to train them at the same time, even separating them and doing individual lessons was grossly ineffective. My very well-behaved 9-year-old female actually regressed.

I've been told on any number of occasions... it's about me... not about the dogs... I think it's both. Consistency is EXTREMELY important. Dogs really are like kids in that they need to know someone is in charge. They need and want structure and they look to you, if you don't give it to them, they will be running the show in no time flat.

Above all else, DO NOT ADOPT SIBLINGS!!! Everyone and their dog told me not to and I did it anyway... HUGE mistake. They're boys and 11 now and the sibling rivalry makes everything more difficult!

Please consider adopting from a local animal shelter, there are SO many shelter dogs waiting for homes and they make great pets. NEVER buy a puppy from a pet store, it's just asking for all kinds of problems. I apologize in advance for this... but it needs to be said... Poms are very cute but I've known five or six of them and they've all been yippy-yappy, overly territorial, aggressive and obnoxious dogs that never stop barking and making pests of themselves. (I'm sure they aren't all that way, but that has been my experience.) Observe the breed you think you're interested in before you make up your mind (friends, neighbors, shelters, Petsmart, Petco, adoption fairs, etc.) you might save yourself and the pup a great deal of aggravation/heartache by doing some advance research.

Lastly, best of luck. Dogs are wonderful... they are ALWAYS beside themselves with joy that you're FINALLY home! Priceless!
 Antagonist
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/23/2006 6:07:39 PM
Babylonia,

I understand your concerns. Is there someone who could let a puppy out for you? Do you have a fenced yard? Have you considered an adult dog? On occasion I place adult dogs, like, when they don't turn out to be show quality, or, they are retired. They do wonderfully. Puppies are adorable but a chore! I don't even attempt to housetrain a puppy until it is a minimum of 6 months old. Give it some thought. If you really want a German shepherd I know of an EXCELLENT breeder who has only German import lines. You do not want an American German shepherd!!!!

If you have a friend that can let a puppy out for you twice a day while you're gone then you can do it. Any puppy I keep spends A LOT of time in it's crate. I wouldn't train it any other way. My downstairs is set up for my dogs. They have their own tv and sterio, too. Leaving a television or music playing really helps keep them from getting lonely. My dogs prefer classical music, seriously.
 Antagonist
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/23/2006 6:21:32 PM

Poms are very cute but I've known five or six of them and they've all been yippy-yappy, overly territorial, aggressive and obnoxious dogs that never stop barking and making pests of themselves.

This is why crate training is vital. From the moment you bring your puppy home it should learn where its place is on the totem pole, at the bottom. And, ignore them while they are crated.
 Antagonist
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/24/2006 4:47:05 PM
Here you go Cesar Milan "Dog Whisperer" lovers;
The following was written by a fellow breeder.

I lost respect for Cesar Milan tonight.

Cindy and I watched the session that showed on March 17th 2006 with Spike the black GSD that was aggressive to cats.

Cesar used an electric collar on Spike. Which in my opinion, was the right thing to do.

BUT AT NO TIME DID THEY TELL YOU HE WAS USING ELECTRIC ON SPIKE!!!!!!!!!! In fact he hid the fact that this is what he was doing with the dog.

How stupid. It is a crock of shlt.

What got our attention was the fact that he used too high of a stimulation and sent the dog into serious avoidance and it bit him. We had to rewind Tivo to see that there was a transmitter hidden in his hand and the black collar one on the black Shepard.

I lost a lot of respect for him tonight. Who are you helping when you cover things up and don’t tell the truth. Sorry this is just a scam.

He should have explained that he was using a remote collar; he should have explained that he went to high on the stimulation.

I have had some serious issues with past shows. I thought he should have explained more about what he was doing and I blamed it on the editors. I can't do that here because he was hidding the transmitter from the camera.

SHAME ON YOU CESAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Ed Frawley
 Antagonist
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/24/2006 8:23:57 PM

Shame on him for using the collar (NOT the right thing to use, sorry - punitive measures are "old school" - why would you shock your best friend??).

It was exactly the right thing to use. You obviously know nothing about dog training.
 chaotic.neutral
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2006 5:15:03 AM

You obviously know nothing about dog training

Give me a break. Just because someone doesn't agree with your views and methods you resort to insulting the person?

A lot has been researched about dog training in the last few years that would actually indicate that there are methods other than shock, jerk and choke which work quite successfully with all breeds. I train dogs and I live with a rescued dog whose breed and personality and history was very aggressive with cats. Without the use of choke, electric shocks or other aversive methods, for 6 years this dog has lived peacefully with two cats, by being trained to ignore them. So while I didn't see the show with the shepherd with cat issues, the post says that the dog went into avoidance and bit him? He did the right thing - and got bitten? I'd never say that something where the handler got bitten was 'exactly the right thing' to use...
 Antagonist
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/25/2006 6:49:57 AM
I meant every word of it! The dog was about to attack a cat. The dog had been trying to attack cats, which is the reason for the training session. READ the post.

YOU do not get hundreds of emails and phone calls from people who cannot control their dogs. YOU do not listen to them crying because they are faced with puttting the dog to sleep. How many dogs have you trained aggressive behavior out of?

I am not talking about animal abuse!

ISIFWILF, GO back and read the post again. Cesar was bitten because he used too strong of a correction! It takes skill to use an E collar correctly. Cesar used it incorrectly.

If you want to get schooled do a search for Leerburg Kennels, go to the site and click on Dog Training Articles. It's the best training site I know of. Unfortunately, this site does not allow me to post the address.
 chaotic.neutral
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2006 11:29:29 AM

YOU do not get hundreds of emails and phone calls from people who cannot control their dogs.

Are you reading my emails, tapping my phone? how do you know what emails I get and how many phone calls I get? I do get many emails and calls from people needing help with dogs and have successfully trained aggressive (including human aggressive) behaviour out of dogs, with no force at all. I am also actively involved in rescue and have helped owners keep dogs whom they were having aggression issues with, who were on the verge of being put down, as well as taking some where the owners were not able or willing to work with them and retrained myself or with a foster and placed them.

I did read the post, and stand by what I say. I didn't respond to have a debate on training methods, actually, I responded because saying things to someone you don't know like "you obviously know nothing about dog training" is ignorant. You seem to think you know a lot about people who you have likely never met, knowing how many emails I have and how much someone else knows about training.

I have a dog who has tried to kill cats and am very familiar with the behavior. he has never worn an ecollar and lives peacefully with 2 cats. Mostly because I know what I am doing and don't need force or shocks to get respect. I have also worked with other cat, human and dog aggressive dogs. The methods I use, if one uses them incorrectly, no one gets hurt, it just takes a little longer to retrain the behavior.

I'm familiar with Frawley, and personally chose to further my education on dogs through modern research not outdated methodology. Once upon a time I used those training techniques, but I have moved on through learning and studying more research and one on one with skilled professionals, and have had far more success. If that's the best training site you know of, that is really too bad. There's a lot of good stuff out there.

I guess we can just agree to disagree. Have a nice day.
 wahya
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2006 12:01:32 PM
To go back a little here, 2 pups would be best in my opinion, they would have each other's company when you are away, and a "friend" to play with.
And for those of you having problems with your dog "attacking" other animals, remember what dog was bred from? I have a wolf, who does catch his own "dinner" on occasion, plays well with dogs, and loves children (not to eat!)...and how he was raised has made a difference.
 Antagonist
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/25/2006 4:04:30 PM

I'm familiar with Frawley, and personally chose to further my education on dogs through modern research not outdated methodology. Once upon a time I used those training techniques, but I have moved on through learning and studying more research and one on one with skilled professionals, and have had far more success. If that's the best training site you know of, that is really too bad. There's a lot of good stuff out there.

mycorosso
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/25/2006 4:09:17 PM
Don't get littermates of the same sex. They will have problems. I have and breed Labs.
 Rusty68
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2006 10:29:31 AM
Was it Cosby or Newhart that said "Don't get two dogs... You'll never know which one did it?"

I bought into the whole playmate concept at first. My dogs do not play together. They get along like an unhappy married couple. (Sleep in different rooms, occasionally growl at each other.) Since they can't get a divorce, they'll just have to live with the idea that it's better than being alone. (I should go give my poor dog a treat.)

On the upside, I did the crate thing to house-break my newest dog, and I would definately do it again. It was much easier than the two before that. I got one big enough for the dog when it's full grown, and I think the crib analogy works pretty well.

P.S. you should see some of the damage my dogs have done to my house. In my case, confining them to one area made it worse. When I tried letting them roam freely, they stopped (This was when they were full grown, though. Not pups). Sometimes you really gotta love 'em to put up with 'em.

Good luck.
 Rythmn
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2011 12:12:23 AM
personally, i'd adopt two older dogs from the pound. or start with one and add one later. they need to match in temperament and one will want to be the alpha. training books indicate that you need to be the alpha. but, if you are not home, it might be best to find two who are already paired and at least, already trained. also my dogs have bonds with my cats. another option, as long as the dog is not left alone.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >