Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cotter
Msg: 40
view profile
History
the guys who fix things Page 6 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Eastside ...

Stop already ... we are convinced that you have more ......

Are you also good at fixing things?
 cotter
Msg: 42
view profile
History
the guys who fix things
Posted: 3/29/2006 10:10:51 AM
^^^Running to get the mixing bowl, eggs, flour ............
 cotter
Msg: 43
view profile
History
the guys who fix things
Posted: 7/26/2006 11:59:00 PM
^^^^^I agree ...
As you can read from the other posts, that's probably not the feeling of the majority of women.

glad2bhere ... you're not hooking up with the right ladies ... being able to fix things is "babe bait". And if you're coming to my house to fix something ... I don't care if it's just to pull the stove out so I can sweep behind it ... wear your tool belt!
 johnfwd
Msg: 44
the guys who fix things
Posted: 8/2/2006 8:20:44 PM
Ladies, it is so much bs. I am a published author in the how-to genre. I have won a national award for deck building and design. Liquid Nails paid me to write a how to article using their product. I can fix most anything around the house. I also am a gourmet cook, give great massage, am a great conversationalist, am quite cuddly and know how to please a woman in the bedroom and always give more than I recieve there. I have not been appreciated by any of the women in my life but have been used and abused. It just goes to show that the majority of women don't know how to take care of a good man.
 cotter
Msg: 53
view profile
History
the guys who fix things
Posted: 8/4/2006 1:38:03 AM
@Greeneyezz ...
So - since the general consensus IS that most women love a guy that can do all these things PLUS knows his way around a kitchen AND a woman's body (according to most statements here by the majority of women)

why is it "I'm" still single??
Sweetheart ... if you weren't so doggone much younger than me, I tell you ... you can put your shoes under my bed anytime!
 -=Kalidor=-
Msg: 57
the guys who fix things
Posted: 11/23/2006 12:18:33 AM
I'm more of an electronics and computer guy than a drywall and plumbing guy... does that count?
 cotter
Msg: 58
view profile
History
the guys who fix things
Posted: 11/23/2006 7:59:04 AM

Does it help if my toolbelt and loin cloth match?
Kap dear ... the toolbelt would have been sufficient ... and now you can match that with a loin cloth?

Now all you have to do is find a lady with a matching thong and hair scrungie ...

Tarzan ... meet Jane?

Match made in heaven.

no_1_bby
Msg: 59
view profile
History
the guys who fix things
Posted: 11/23/2006 8:08:35 AM
A man doesn't NEED to know how to do it if he can afford to pay someone who does. My dad taught me a lot about fixing things, so I am more then capable of doing 90% of the stuff around the house. I think it irritated my ex... I tried, honest I did.. I tried letting him do it... but after 2 mo of things not getting done, it was easier to fix them myself!!! Should have seen him jump to help when I lugged the air conditioners out of the basement to install... hehehe...!!
 CharleneAnn
Msg: 77
view profile
History
the guys who fix things
Posted: 3/21/2007 2:53:16 PM
LOL!!! OK I have worked with a private contractor meaning electrical, plumbing, drywall, add- ons and power tools (still cant help but drool at home depot!)...YES, I have changed my oil, and tranny fluid... looked like CARRIE afterward, I have changed the starter on my car.. ok ok I scraped up my knuckles, broke three nails and made my neighbor who was a sailor blush when i bumped my head and really cussed a blue streak when I had the wrench slip and smashed my hand on an exhaust pipe...OUCH! But I try.. It would be a wonderful thing to smile sweetly while wearing pink and lace and say those magic words " Hunny, fix it please?" as I bat my baby blue eyes. THEN I WOKE UP....ROFL!!!!!!

Sometimes It seems like that will never happen, so Until then.. I will keep my tool belt close, and Hope I find that right man to crawl under the hood with!
 chuchurillo
Msg: 86
view profile
History
the guys who fix things
Posted: 3/24/2007 1:32:51 PM
Umm...there are alot of posts here with women saying, how much they love a "working man". But I have to say, I am a working man, and have been for quite awhile. Any time I have stopped for coffee, water food whatever, every woman in every store for the most part turn their noses up at us great unwashed.
No lie I even once saw a woman I really wanted to get to know in a resaurant, only to be scoffed at, but when I went back, in my civies, she took me home not even making the connection of who I was.
Am I right? Is this really just a, liking the idea of a working man?
 crystalise
Msg: 89
the guys who fix things
Posted: 3/24/2007 6:37:06 PM
Just Kats there is nothing wrong with that or the way you are brought up. There are some guys who think thats ok and in return the woman does the cooking etc or other gender stereotypical roles. Look if that works for a couple - I'm all for it. Im happy to do the laundry and ironing if he clears the gutters etc

Yes I do like a guy who fixes things, hey who wouldnt. Yeh it is kinda sexy, a man and his tools. But do I expect it? - no, its ok if he doesnt or cant. I can do a few of my own fix-its, hammer a nail, change a washer, hang a hook, lightbulbs, change a fuse, change a tyre, check tyre pressure, engine oil etc - once I even rewired the electrical cord plug. Yay me. Ok it took 4 hours but that is beside the point.

Oh as long as he does actually fix it. I remember one former sweetheart went to fix the airconditioning in my car. That was 6 years ago. As soon as I save the money for a new unit it will work

crystalise
Msg: 91
the guys who fix things
Posted: 3/24/2007 6:47:20 PM
Umm...there are alot of posts here with women saying, how much they love a "working man". But I have to say, I am a working man, and have been for quite awhile. Any time I have stopped for coffee, water food whatever, every woman in every store for the most part turn their noses up at us great unwashed.

Sorry to hear that chuchirillo - but what I think the scenario is the OP is depicting [ happy to be corrected if wrong] is a guy within a relationship or dating or already know

In your case it was probably just a case of being scruffy from work [ if you were] as opposed to being all dressed up - so I wouldnt take it as being looked down at as a working man. And you know what , if she did do that, why on earth would you be interested in someone like that anyway?

What you gotta do next time you bump into these random women - is say anytime you need something fixed just call [ wink] and show a bit o' working man cleavage, undo a few buttons of the flannel.. are you wearing your tool belt and hard hat??? you gotta work it you know. See how that goes for you.
 chuchurillo
Msg: 93
view profile
History
the guys who fix things
Posted: 3/24/2007 9:39:29 PM
crystalise, the scruffy thing might (okay is) true. As far a work cleavage? Most working man cleavage isnt anything anyone wants to see unless you're looking for someplace to put yer pencil?
As far as the original post, I think you're right as far as the original post. On the other hand, in my past relationships, foe the most part, I end up being mr. fix it for everyone that my exs have known. So as far as I can see, the currant trend of being a mr.fix it is way on the down swing.
That trend makes it harder on the rest of us fix it build it guys, so sometimes we hide it. "Hey, so and so wants you to build a shed, my mom wants you yo build a new laundry room, my best friend wants you to retile her house, my sister needs you to fix her car...."
I really am sorry about the ac unit. To be honest that could be your best bet anyway depending on the age of the unit,....oh crap I'm doing it again.
 c_deacon
Msg: 119
view profile
History
the guys who fix things
Posted: 4/30/2007 8:02:30 PM
In that order?????....lmao.....

Just my opinion.......
 Wreckless1
Msg: 127
the guys who fix things
Posted: 5/1/2007 1:17:29 PM
Sooooooooooo Glad, I got to work with my Dad for so long before he passed on.

I enjoy fixing things! Mom said (when i was little) I would take apart stuff, to see how it worked. I also have the Tool, to do what I need too! If I don't I'll either improvise, by trying to figure it out, or read the instructions. If all else fails, and cannot replace.... Call for a Pro.

And cry when I am told of the cost. Quality is more satisfying then quantity.... unless you are a woman. She wants both!
 Wullis
Msg: 130
view profile
History
the guys who fix things
Posted: 6/6/2007 10:17:27 PM
I restore historic homes and buildings for a living ............

1) My problem isn't throwing things away .......It's not throwing ANYTHING away
And then when I get fed up and purge, a week later I have a job where I need what I threw out.

2) But we do live in a throw away society, I was almost in tears recently when they took a wrecking ball to a beautiful old home with stained glass windows and walnut balistuers and an incredible turret, and when I petioned to salvage these items, they just didn't have time for that

3) Some things you fix and some things you PAY, Know your limitations
That'll really make the little lady proud
 wanderer1999
Msg: 131
view profile
History
the guys who fix things
Posted: 6/6/2007 10:45:26 PM
*shrug*

Being handy is over-rated. I can't even be bothered to put it in my profile.

I can drywall, install and troubleshoot wiring, sockets and receptacles, repair standard appliances (ranges, ovens, washers and dryers -- not refrigerators since no CFC handling license), tile, paint, drive a skidster, operate a jackhammer, do basic carpentry, change the oil, tires, spark plugs and air filter on a car, assemble and troubleshoot a computer from components, install local and wide area networks, test electrical circuits, repair faucets, install toilets, snake plumbing, solder piping, and build fencing and retaining walls.

That being said, I have no desire to do any of it in my spare time. I've done enough of that sort of stuff over the years that it is completely uninteresting to me. Sure, I'll do stuff around the house if I need to, but that doesn't mean that I want to replace my own hot water lines or snake a sewer line for fun. Nowadays, I'll usually have someone else do it.

Sure, if the price is stupid and it won't take a lot of time (like if you need to replace the roller bearings in a dryer) I might be arsed to order the parts and replace them, but there is no way I'm going to spend weeks speccing and building a deck extension when I could hire someone to do it for me while I enjoy time with friends, family or a girlfriend.

Most people who are handy do it because they love the work, or because they never had to do it as part of a job. Trust me, fix enough plumbing leaks, snake enough sewers, or pour enough concrete and most people would rather spend their time doing something else.

As for a woman thinking it's sexy... to each their own I suppose.
 PhilMeUpBaby
Msg: 133
view profile
History
the guys who fix things
Posted: 7/1/2007 6:32:16 PM
Pickup line: "I'm not an expert handyman, but I look forward to maintaining your plumbing"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A couple of times this year, I've been talking to people and it's come up in conversation that their cars haven't had an oil change in ages. Each time, I've made sure that she's brought her car over, and I've done an engine service.

I'm now friends with each one. And, no matter what happens, they have to call me at least every three months or 5,000km.

Fun_Jess
Msg: 141
the guys who fix things
Posted: 7/2/2007 10:05:14 PM
i love a man who knows how to fix things it is a huge turn on........manly men......
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 146
the guys who fix things
Posted: 7/21/2007 2:45:04 PM
Fixing things is becoming a lost art in America, we are becoming a throw away society and it really bothers me, we are allowing all of our production to go overseas, pretty soon we will have no production and nothing to produce real national income. A service economy brings in no dollars from overseas. Our taxes and prices go up and our buying power goes down because the wages don't keep up with inflation. On top of that the only thing people know how to do is type on a keyboard and buy things. The farmers will still do well if they can get the machinery and fuel.

I routinely find stuff in the trash that has one screw loose or a tiny piece of plastic broken. Another $40-$100 tossed to the wind. I have made a very good life for myself by sifting through trash piles, yardsales, thrift shops, etc and fixing things. I have never really worked the way most people work, only a couple times did I have a 40 hour a week job for a little over a year at a time, not counting teaching at the universtiy, that's not work......

My education helps me understand how to fix things but it's not necessary to have Phd to find a way to fix a small piece of broken plastic. Things aren't made to be fixed, it's uneconomical to have somebody else fix something, but everything that is tossed in the trash that is still useable is adding to the problem this country is soon going to face. The money has to come from somewhere, printing new money, inflation doesn't solve any problems.

Fixng things is mostly something that you are brought up with, if your dad does it chances are so do the children, trouble is not many dads do it and fewer children, it's a dieing art. It used to be associated with middle class America but soon America will have no middle class, it's going to be the super rich, those that were born with it, the few that get lucky and happen to be in the right place at the right time, and a few that manage to work thier way up. Everybody else will be mostly in poverty, the few that can fix things will live a decent life. A huge resesion is on the way, China will be the new world leader since they do produce things, and America will have many just barely able to survive. We have regulated ourselves into this problem.

The legal system has created a lot of the problem, all the law suits for rediculous things, if somebody gets hurt it must be somebody else's fault and I deserve to get rich, mentality. That has killed many good real producers, they can't make ends meet because of the rediculous insurance premiums they have to pay. You can bet China doesn't have this problem. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Everytime you do something risk is involved, life is a risky business, those that take more risk often get more rewards. The only real winners are the lawyers. they win even if they lose. I certainly feel the world would be a much better place if all the lawyers weren't here, they produce nothing but headaches.

It's not a pretty picture, WAKE UP AMERICA.
 Wullis
Msg: 147
view profile
History
the guys who fix things
Posted: 7/21/2007 2:55:57 PM
Liana
I'll just have to start faxing where the jobsites and If you tell me when your coming by I'll make sure we are all Sweating it up HOHOHOHOHO!!!!!!
 1Fish2Fish RedFishNewFish
Msg: 153
the guys who fix things
Posted: 7/21/2007 6:19:16 PM
Wasn't it Aldous Huxley who wrote, in "Brave New World"
"The fewer the stitches, the greater the riches."? That was their consumer based society. Also "It's better to end than mend."
I get satisfaction from fixing things. Two years ago I got a 48" riding mower for $20 with a "Blown engine." It was running in 30 minutes - the pushrod popped out from under the rocker arm when the guy over-revved the engine.

I have gotten free weedeaters that just needed the carbs cleaned, fans are a dime a dozen. Pop the grill, add 3 drops of oil, good as new.

DVD players that stop playing usually just need the laser cleaned with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol, especially in homes of smokers. I was given a cellphone that 1 teen put through the washing machine and had that repaired in about 30 minutes. (It DID need a new battery, however.)

My dishwasher sprung a leak last week, the tub had a rust hole. Ground that clean and epoxied it until I can afford a new one. Computer repairs are easy for me too, software and hardware.

I was even the guy who had to do the sewing in my marriage, even get stains out in the wash. I guess they fall under 'fixing' things too. (Damn, I am glad I am single again!)
 Wullis
Msg: 155
view profile
History
the guys who fix things
Posted: 7/21/2007 11:00:23 PM
Believe it or not ......quite afew us us straddle that fence between creativity and "domicile mechanics"

At the last show I displayed my sculptures at , five of us artists were in the building trades, in fact one of them now works for me.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >