Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > who do rate as the best guitarists in the world      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Pulse_Meddle
Msg: 26
who do rate as the best guitarists in the worldPage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Im not talking about share it to get money. or for a record company to get money.. Im talking about sharing it to prove that you are good. If you don't prove it too the world.. which makes up the vote if you are great or not... then why should I consider them great? just because they play behind closed doors? no. You can't just play guitar and go Im great!... with out having outside view of you playing. Im sure you can show your friends. yeah.. but your friends don't make up the % that would consider you great. but you would be great in there eyes..
 Pulse_Meddle
Msg: 27
who do rate as the best guitarists in the world
Posted: 4/20/2006 10:13:46 PM
Im not looking for notoriety.. and you spelt it right. Im just try to say that I wouldn't mind seeing this great guitar player that plays behind closed doors. I would like to hear his new creative riffs. You think when stevie played on stage it was for fame? or glory? read this.

By the summer of 1982, Stevie Ray Vaughan was already a veteran of the Southern blues circuit. Desperately searching for his big break, he was asked to play "Blues Night" at the annual Montreux Jazz Festival in Montreux, Switzerland. Playing like his life depended on it, Stevie put on a fiery performance - full of future SRV classics like "Pride And Joy" and "Love Struck Baby." The audience could not have cared less. Every song Stevie played was greeted by an increasing wave of boos and hisses and he left the stage bewildered and heart-broken.

As fate would have it, this would be the most important single show Stevie ever played. In attendance at the festival were two figures who would prove instrumental in Stevie's subsequent rise to stardom: David Bowie and Jackson Browne. They immediately recognized Stevie's raw talent and limitless passion. As a result, Jackson Browne offered Stevie the opportunity to record (free of charge) at his own studio--the tapes that would be Texas Flood--Stevie's first studio album for Epic Records. In addition, Stevie was asked to play on Bowie's hugely successful Let's Dance album and tour.

Three years later, when Stevie was invited back to headline "Blues Night" at the festival, the crowd, now familiar with Stevie's songs and albums treated him like the conquering hero. And Stevie again played like his life depended on it - because, as we all came to recognize and respect, that was the only way he knew how.

thats the only way he knew how to play and the only way he played. Not for the fame just because he wanted to play. at first the fans didn't want to hear it.. yet he kept playing. Later on down the road.. they grew fund of it. but in that time.. he didn't stop playing. He played what he loved. He got some lucky deals along the way but he didn't play for the fame he played for the love of the music. lol I don't know I think you might have caught me on something tho.. I don't even know why I brought it up. I have always thought that way about people that play behind closed doors.... that why don't they get credit? sorta deal... I guess I figured hey Maybe I'll try it on the other hand and see if I can exsplain why people view it that way.. and lol I can't but I do agree with you.. Im not trying to promote.. notoriety.. haha you win Dream.
 storm38
Msg: 28
Posted: 4/21/2006 12:27:24 AM
another guitarist who hasnt been mentioned tom scholtz of boston

l love the big guitar sound some of their stuff is utter crap but their is a few good ones
 juanchito26
Msg: 29
Posted: 4/25/2006 3:49:41 PM
Ever heard of Alan Holdsworth, Frank Gambale, Tony McCalpine???
 LordRaven
Msg: 30
Posted: 4/25/2006 5:02:22 PM
well i reackon the lead guitarists in ac/dc is the worlds best i reackon
 BRIANiac
Msg: 31
Posted: 4/26/2006 2:38:52 PM
Gotta say my top two are:

Joe Satriani
Brian May (Queen)

Other top ones, in no particular order:

Steve Vai
Joe Walsh
Randy Rhodes (Ozzy Osbourne)
Eddie Van Halen
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Carlos Santana
Yingwe Malmsteen
Kirk Hammett (Metallica)
Eric Clapton
 _BigBadBazza_
Msg: 32
Posted: 4/26/2006 10:56:44 PM
what an unsual topic in a singles site !

the guitarist that changed my perspective in great music has yet to be named

Kurt Cobain

oh ,, bah ! -hes was a Lasy , out of tune drop D strummer boy ,who couldnt tune a guitar let alone play one , i hear you say -
But man that s#it rocked , i love a guitarist who can do so much with so little , also i think the rammones are by far and away the greatest song writers to ever belch out a tune .
rock rock rock rock rock n roll high schoolll....
 _BigBadBazza_
Msg: 33
Posted: 4/28/2006 9:04:49 PM
double post ., sorry

Robert Smith

this guy wont rehearse
he wont play with the recording sessions musicions ( spell check that crap )

he wont even let his guitarists hit an accidental note ,

this guy is f#cking cool ------ as fonzie ,,, heyyyyyyyyy - sit on it
 storm38
Msg: 34
Posted: 4/28/2006 9:46:45 PM
l havent seen richie blackmore mentioned once ...deep purple, great guitarist rainbow
 matth1
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/2/2006 3:09:15 AM
ANYONE who plays guitar is great in thier own way.People that can bring so much sound to a band is great.Seems everyone is talking about "famous" or known guitarists.Here are some of my favourites (some have been mentioned)John Petrucci,Tony Iommi,Joe Satriani,Steve Vai,Dave Mustaine,Janet Robin,Michael Arnott,Jeff Loomis.Randy Rhoads,Cedric Dupoint,heck there are way too many to list.
 pattiesmith60
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/2/2006 5:48:56 AM
Ted Nugents my guitar man
 mike919293949596
Msg: 37
Posted: 5/2/2006 12:38:47 PM
Kirk Hammet .night after night this mother rips with exausting execution ...... ............Clapton practices meticulously for his perfection .................Jimmy Page could pull a gut bucket out of the box untuned and lay the place too waste and if not mistaken ,has . ...........Jimmy Hendrix actually made some of his own chords my fingers won't reach lol . ....... I've seen Eddie many times he's great but his mind seems to wander during solos he hasn't planned out ,..................I gotta stand by Jimmy page ( just imagine if he was a carnivore ) Everytime i rip out Rock and Roll The joint starts jumpin like Satans Den not to mention The Ocean ( though i wish i could find a drummer who (ironically enough) would show up for a gig on time lol )
 vandy010
Msg: 38
Posted: 5/2/2006 12:57:26 PM
^^ hey mike ^^
drummers don't show up on time for anything! most of the ones i know, blew all all thier cash on a drumkit, but forgot to buy a car!
"er, um, can ya give us a lift man"?
ever heard 2 drummers in conversation?
"ta boom tadda boomt boom" oh man thats kewl! hows bout dis one man! "tiddy tum tum tombt"
but yes folks, this columns about guitarits right!
once again mike, i just loved the wraps you gave jimmy page.
back in the day, apparently Ted Nugent challenged jimmy to a playoff!
the critics of the day stated it would be more like a lesson for good old Ted.
personally, i like Teds stuff too, it was just a story and not meant to offend.
check out Jimmys work on "page & coverdale"
a true studio genius! and if he was a carnivore, he'd eat godzilla for a snack!
cheers.
 metalchic
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2006 5:08:50 PM
I'll just mention a few who haven't been named;
J Mascis from Dinosaur jr, seen him twice, brilliant live,
Dave Navarro, RHCP and janes addiction,
Dimebag Darryl from Pantera(RIP) and
Josh Homme, Kyuss and Queens of the Stone Age
Jerry Cantrell, Alice In Chains
 funnygal1
Msg: 40
Posted: 5/2/2006 9:12:17 PM
Carlos Santana aand Brian May from queen
 _BigBadBazza_
Msg: 41
Posted: 5/2/2006 10:27:36 PM
Josh Homme - kyuss . qotsa .

nice one metal
 frizzy-red
Msg: 42
Posted: 5/5/2006 4:46:14 AM
Eric Clapton has to be one of the best.... also Brian May from Queen...
 Teleah
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2006 5:20:00 AM
Tommy Emmanuel - HELL YEAH!!!
HOWEVER
we musn't forget Chet Atkins - god of guitar players, legend in all things guitar.
and Kaki King for sure!

For breaking them up into categories!!

John Petrucci cannot be surpassed in compositional and performance based brilliance! dream theatre is amazing!!

Thought I should add my 2 cents.
 oddsocks
Msg: 44
Posted: 5/5/2006 6:04:31 AM
at the mo.............it is ozzys ..............yes i am having a black moment........
 fatboy461
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/5/2006 10:19:12 AM
longte:
dont 4-get (my favorate),
Stevie Ray Vaughn
 Sixcaps
Msg: 46
Posted: 5/5/2006 11:11:37 AM
John Mayor is going to be a Big one.
has anyone seen him live??

He's idol is hendrix and he can play man, He can play
 bitofahick
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/5/2006 7:56:31 PM
What price Ron Asheton from The Stooges? or Nick Zinner of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs?
C'mon kids, how about Jack White? I know lots of 'jimi" fans, but no-one who actually listens to him
 BadBrain
Msg: 48
Posted: 5/5/2006 9:16:39 PM
I'm partial to Jerry Garcia. There was not a stringed instrument that he could not play and he played them well. Not to mention how many styles he could play, Rock n Roll, Blues, Bluegrass, Country... And I've always liked his singing voice
 storm38
Msg: 49
Posted: 5/5/2006 9:29:32 PM
billy duffy from the cult is also a very good guitarist
 BRIANiac
Msg: 50
Posted: 5/5/2006 10:55:51 PM
There's actually a blues guitarist I saw a few years ago named Jude Bowerman. He tours around the US, but I don't think he's out for getting a big contract deal, so he mostly still does bars and small auditoriums. I'd put him on par with Stevie Ray Vaughn, though he'll likely never be a household name.
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > who do rate as the best guitarists in the world