Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > who do rate as the best guitarists in the world      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mrinbetween
Msg: 76
who do rate as the best guitarists in the worldPage 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
it is still teddy nugent.........

listen you heathens

then go roger for meaning

i wish they would play together.......................
 dreamofmirrors
Msg: 77
who do rate as the best guitarists in the world
Posted: 11/17/2006 3:36:11 PM
You've got to be kidding... listen to Simon Hosford's work with On The Virg or Tony Macalpine's work with Planet X to hear a real "Einstein of rhythm" at work. U2 have nothing

"U2's THE EDGE is hands down the Einstein of rhythm (is that how you spell it?) guitarist of all time!!"
 peteratamino
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2007 4:22:02 AM
i heard santana is good on the guitar
 SergeantOz
Msg: 79
Posted: 5/26/2007 3:41:59 PM
Santana - talented and has been around for years

Bo Diddley - the king of guitars including his homemade guitars and "Lucille" his favourite.

Chuck Berry - the dirty old pervert who really made the guitar sing with his raw sound

Mark Knoffler - must have been the parachute pants and head band

Me - I learnt to play 5 chords and could play hundreds of songs (joke people).

Jim Hendrix - the only dude who played a right handed guitar - left handed (upside down) and had the `fro and head band to match.

Eddie Cochran - legend of the Gibsons .............. sadly killed in 1960.

Trevor Filewood - the religious nut who sang songs of praise in the 1980's for about 2 minutes in the afternoon after school on Channel 7 I think. He looked like my old science teacher and we used give him crap alot too. (Ok this is sarcasm boys and girls)
 hilly1971
Msg: 80
Posted: 5/26/2007 7:07:00 PM
"Gaz".......from a faboulous little know band up here on the sunny coast.......guitarists have such nimble fingers!!!
 serenex
Msg: 81
Posted: 5/26/2007 7:22:03 PM
Gaz".......from a faboulous little know band up here on the sunny coast................Hilly whats a" know band" .................For my liking Ritchie Blackmore was prolific in guitar riffs pity hes doing goldilocks and the 3 bears tunes thes days
 hilly1971
Msg: 82
Posted: 5/26/2007 7:31:48 PM
^^ You know i meant "known"...........Are you teasing me??............steady or its over the balcony again for you!!
 atalia
Msg: 83
Posted: 5/26/2007 7:59:28 PM
Tommy and Phil! hi Phil the snake man from Coffs mouse woman
 ~Pedro Sanchez~
Msg: 84
Posted: 5/26/2007 10:46:17 PM
I can appreciate all guitar players but as to being moved by a guitar player, flamenco does it for me and Andrés Torres Segovia is king (ok Paco Peña too).
 dan00075
Msg: 85
Posted: 5/27/2007 5:08:41 AM
well, this is easy...

Yngwie Malmsteen FTW!!!

Paco De Lucia is also one of my favourites... totally different genre, though.
 likes_a_laugh
Msg: 86
Posted: 5/27/2007 5:33:20 AM
Stevie Ray Vaughan was the dude..before he passed on...
Fav tune woz 'Mary had a little lamb'
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2007 6:27:39 AM
This guy seems to be off the radar , but in my opinion best guitarist of all time is JOE WALSH. He has many albums and his instrumentals are priceless , not to mention the flair he gave THE EAGLES . I think another awesome guitarist that I have not seemed mentioned has to be JAMES YOUNG from STYX. I know James Young does not rank with some of the people mentioned but hes still a great guitarist. Joe Walsh is number 1 in my opinion. Ok next post will shoot me down lmao .
 butterflydream39
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2007 1:35:03 PM
Eddie Van Halen is a must

I also went to see Tommy Emmanuel live in a hall a few years ago now and boy can than man play the guitar.
 Disgruntledmuso
Msg: 89
Posted: 7/25/2007 4:55:52 AM
different horses for different courses............

For technical facility- Malmsteen or Steve Vai

For fingerboard and scale knowledge- Robert Fripp or any of the Jazz- Rock Greats (Al di Miola)

For slow melodic playing with a sense of tone- Carlos Santana or BB King.

For creating interesting accompaniments to songs- Graham Coxon

For employing guitar harmonies- Brian May

Other noteworthy guitarists- Frank Zappa, Van Halen, Ted Nugent the list is endless

Jimi Hendrix was a fantastic player, but I feel that people tend to put him on this unattainable god-like mantle. He was a great innovative guitarist, and I love his work, but it was far from infallible, as with everybody's guitaring.
 lucifershamster
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2007 7:19:28 AM
Pulse_Meddle and Late seemed to have been pretty comprehensive.
mike kennelly, frank zappa impossible guitar parts, (its where he met vai)
Jan Ackerman, focus
Nancy Wilson , heart
Brian robertson,
fast eddie clark,
slava gregorian,

glad to see some of the quiet masters not for gotten, like belew, trower, reinhart.

base players, someone mentioned billy sheene, even billy acknowledges there has never been anyone like jaco pastorius.
 Disgruntledmuso
Msg: 91
Posted: 7/26/2007 12:20:48 AM
mrbptc, I understand what your'e saying about Santana. His songs can get monotonous. Frank Zappa parodied this by making a piece of music called "Variations on Carlos Santana's secret chord progressions", which is a good call considering that most of his songs are jams based around Gm7/ C7 chord progressions. Let's face it, he isn't a songwriter, but he has a very beautiful guitar style that considers the tone of each individual note.

In addition to my list-

For solo "lap piano" jazz guitar- Joe Pass

Country fingerstyle- Chet Atkins

Rhythm Guitar- John Lennon

Bass Player- Paul MacCartney, Stanley Clarke
 Disgruntledmuso
Msg: 92
Posted: 7/26/2007 4:15:22 AM
SgtOz,

A few clarifications

It was BB King who has lucille, which is a closed bodied gibson 335

Bo Diddley used custom made gretsch and gibson guitars in the shapes of oblongs etc

Eddie Cochrane used a Gretsch hollowbody for his unfortunately short career (though he did install a gibson p90 pickup to the bridge position).

As for Jimi, he wasn't the only guitarist who played a right handed guitar left-handed. Players like Albert King simply got a right handed guitar, and played it left handed without re- stringing. Jimi re-strung his guitars lefty a-la Paul MaCartney (though Sir Paul's reknowned Hofner Bass is a left handed model, a lot of his guitars are right handed re-strung left handed)
 jeffreysearch
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2007 4:33:02 AM
Also ! it was BB King who said that `Gary Moore had one of the Best `Blues Feels, he had Heard ! so i think he would Know a Great guitarist ! just listen to `Paisienne Walkways .
 StrayCatAlley
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2007 11:31:26 PM
Id have to say Django Rheinhardt and Jimi Hendrix were the best if you are talking about deceased guitarists as well..
 jannick06
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2007 12:12:20 AM
Tommy Emmanuel the one the only
 Leatheryman
Msg: 96
Posted: 7/28/2007 10:23:21 AM
I think Daniel Johns deserves a mention in here somwhere. Nobody said Kurt Cobain either. But it's a little too "poppy" culture like these days. I'll be back with some names of people nobody has heard of.
 Leatheryman
Msg: 97
Posted: 7/28/2007 11:37:19 AM
Yeah and what about Saul Hudson AKA Slash? He was playing to 100 thousand plus people 15 years ago and now nobody gives a toss... Eastern Creek sounded like shit though
 beachlife68
Msg: 98
Posted: 7/29/2007 9:01:34 PM
mason rack . check out his myspace page .
 akatexjones
Msg: 99
Posted: 8/12/2007 8:06:13 PM
Do yourself a favor and listen to Tony Rice and Brad Davis. Tony being a leagend along with his 1935 D-28 Martin, in Folk, jazz and bluegrass. Brad must be the most sought after guitarist in the industry right now for studio as well as currently traveling with Billy Bob Thornton. He is also the creator of the double down up technique.

You will not believe what these guys can do on a guitar...
 elad11
Msg: 100
Posted: 8/18/2007 2:03:47 AM
Eddie Van Halen. I could listen to "Eruption " for hours.
Tommy Emanuel. Not bad for a man who has never lernt to read music.
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai.
Slava Gregorian. An Aussie Guy that plays classical guitar. Absolutly amazing.
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > who do rate as the best guitarists in the world