Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > does it matter what you drive      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 theferryman
Msg: 26
view profile
History
does it matter what you drivePage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
"It doesn't matter what he drives as long as it's ... not stolen, it has floor boards and door handles, the muffler hasn't fallen off, not a hearse, not mommies car. He must certainly drive though - I'm a taxi for my kids, don't want to be one for my dates."

That attitude annoys me. Try stop dating leeches, instead of trashing men who don't drive - (by either choice or circumstance). Tho' I don't drive, my girlfriends in the past have been MANY things, partners in life, goddesses in the kitchen (tho' I cook too), ladies out in public, utter tramps in the bedroom , but NEVER on-call taxi drivers... I can get my own ass around town, thank you very much.

D.
 danceswithwolves1
Msg: 27
view profile
History
does it matter what you drive
Posted: 3/24/2006 9:09:48 AM
My four wheel drive SUV has been up some really rough narrow roads in the mountains, and I just love the mountain parks and trails. My car is slightly less than perfect on the outside for that reason. Let's just say if small branches brush my car on a mountain road somewhere, I don't get out to see if they left a mark. But I did get out on those occasions when I noticed my muffler 40 feet back in the rear view mirror.

So far I've never been told, "Your car isn't perfect and glossy enough, Get Lost!" Some people never get a chance to visit some of the most beautiful spots in Colorado because their car won't make it, or more commonly, they're afraid of damaging their new Lexus SUV, so they never take it off the pavement ... and they only put it in 4 wheel drive twice a year in blizzards.

There was a four wheel drive rock-crawling meet out West of here, and one of the VERY beat up vehicles in the competition had a bumper sticker that said, "Chicks dig body damage".

I don't know how much that's really true, but I did get a laugh out of it.

Does anyone think that's really true in more than extreme rare instances?
 danceswithwolves1
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2006 9:28:09 AM
My grandparents always had brand new Cadillacs and Lincoln Town Cars, but it was a pain because you could never eat anything in their cars or be in them without spotless clothes and shoes, and I never saw a dog in one of their cars, etc., etc..

OP: I personally couldn't care less what a woman drives or what it looks like, as long as she's not overly concerned about it all the time.
 Leeanne
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2006 9:57:45 AM

That attitude annoys me.

LMAO - What attitude would that be? That I am concerned for my safety and I'm sick of driving 24 hours a day - damn what a b i t c h - LOL
BTW I have never dated a leech & my ex who I was with for 26 years never drove his own car - never had a reason to - he loved to walk or ride a bike & I didn't taxi him around either, he got his own as$ around - LOL.
BTW I also adore men - nice men - I don't trash them I cherish them.
 runamuk
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2006 11:19:09 AM
'There's something women like about a pick-up man' or the song says.

Living in a semi-rural area as I do it's rough not to have a vehicle. Most of the people I know or would date have pick-up trucks or an SUV of some kind. I have a newer model pick-up that I drive to work and around town. When I go to the 'mountain' I usually take my old truck.

I have had lots of fun in an old hoopty---off in the pastures, at the lakes, on pond banks, muddy country roads. You need a drivable/usable vehicle where I live, not a showpiece.

It doesn't matter to me what you drive as long as we get there.
 big_vegas
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2006 11:58:22 AM
4. '79 Plymouth Roadrunner

'69 and '70, heck yes, but surely you don't mean '79...
 speculativewriter
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/24/2006 12:36:14 PM
Of course it does. But not because of what you drive, but because of why you drive it:

1. You drive an old POS. Why? Are you that poor? If you're that poor, then why? Are you uneducated? Did you get scammed in the stock market and lose your shirt? Can't you hold down a job? I'm sorry, but being able to support yourself is an important aspect people will be looking for. On the other hand, like the person who mentioned they only drive a van because it's a company car... well, that person is a practical, penny-wise person. Nothing wrong with that reason.

2. You drive a domestic. But, what is the reason? Is it that you is that you are a person who isn't into cars enough to do their homework? But then, if you can't be bothered to spend $20,000-$30,000 wisely, then what will our finances be like in the future? It will be a dim future, likely, whether we are trying to save for our retirement or buying a house or what-not. It's like the girl at work here who bought a Dodge Stratus with the engine that blows up after 70,000 miles. (Search car forums if you're interested in the details.) I mean, with hundreds of cars out there to buy, why get one that is guaranteed to have problems? That just shows me a person who doesn't make wise choices. On the other hand, what if the person bought usdm to show patriotism toward U.S. auto companies?

Also, we all have our personal preferences. I would rather date someone who drives a sporty car than an SUV because that is more my "style," that's all...

There could be vastly different reasons leading toward the same outcome... It's not the car itself I would be interested in, but knowing why that particular car.
 playboy4rent
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/24/2006 12:47:21 PM
Yes it does and it also matter if you do not have a car all the women I have ever met car and care alot
 playboy4rent
Msg: 34
Posted: 3/24/2006 12:47:35 PM
i care about what they drive too lol
 check this 1 out
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/24/2006 5:44:01 PM
thanks for the laugh !!!
 designingwoman
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2006 9:47:54 PM
When my car is a mess it is a Slaab

When I am crying in my car it's a Saab story

When a Navy sailor drives a Saab it becomes a Swaab....

Could not resist!!

As long as the guy has a car that is well maintained and clean, who cares what it is?

I would not be impressed by either extreme of a guy struggling to pay for a Porsche Boxster or the other extreme of an Uncle Buck wagon. Fortunately most people do not fall under those extremes and drive normal vehicles that are in good condition. That's all I ask.

Oh, do I miss my sweet old Chevy Nova....I"m a GM gal forever!! Chevy makes great cars, and I enjoy my (bought used but runs great) Saab. If you drive a GM car, congratulations, you get bonus points ;-)!!!
 vancouverite
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/24/2006 11:37:55 PM
I think cars can be a statement, mine says "almost paid back my student loan". However, I think the next one will be a japanese truck.
I like trucks, my company vehicle is a truck, and Nissan and Toyota both ae really on to somethnig these days.
A car does say something about the person driving, but only the driver knows what that is.
Some of the smartest people, I have ever met, PhDs, doctors, etc.. drive old or dinky cars, it's got little to do with their brains or their budget, it's just what they drive.
 life is tooo short
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/24/2006 11:50:19 PM
as long as it is clean and tidy then i have no problem
 Rock Chic 75
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/25/2006 6:10:34 AM
Since I live in Southern California, where is it is almost impossible to get anywhere without a car. I would have to say "YES". I do not think I would want to get involved into a relationship where the person did not own or drove a vechile; and, another thing.. I despise, doing all the "driving" sorry, but that sucks. It is mantory for me (personally) if a gentleman had a car; but I am indifferent on what type of automobile he owned or drove.
 RabidWolverine
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/25/2006 6:51:11 AM
What I find unreal is how living in a big city where insurance rates are high, traffic is non stop, and having a decent reliable trasnit system, still guys get rejected if they do not drive...I don't, as I work downtown and will be moving downtown by the end of the year. Most people who live downtown Toronto do not have a vehicle due to the fact either where they live there is no parking lot or they pay too much per year for a parking space where they reside. And try driving downtown.
I do not need one when I will be living and working downtown anyhow. Besides currently I live along the subway line. My job is right at one of the subway stations so it takes me 30 minutes to get to work.
But more times I have been rejected immediately because I do not own a car...sad.
The usual remark i get is "Everyone owns a car, get with the program"
yet the money I save per month not owning one I can do more with.
 Aurora73
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/25/2006 10:55:25 AM
The car says *something* about who you are, but it's just not the whole picture. Say that the girl you date meets you driving a brand new Mustang. Later you find out that was the rental car, because her peeling-paint Honda with spinning rims was in the shop. The personality (and the person) drives the car, not the other way around. I couldn't stand hanging out in a pimpmobile because of the associated lifestyle -- but the car is just an accessory after the fact. So does it matter to me? Yes, but not as much as it does to the car snobs. :)

~Aurora
 Aurora73
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/25/2006 10:59:00 AM
And oh, BTW, the only cars I will ever drive are domestics.

~Aurora
 RabidWolverine
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/25/2006 12:34:40 PM
So the need for a car is for sure? I don't need one in Toronto. This is the thing, why pay for one when I do not need it.
 1inamillion7
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/25/2006 12:48:45 PM
Well you dont want to drive a super ugly car. But regardless of this a woman who truely loves you will not care what you drive. But it MAY annoy her to be driven around in a beater.
Good luck take care
 designingwoman
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2006 3:28:57 PM
a SAAB story

So I drive a Saab
When I hear a sad story
I let out a sob
While driving my Saab

One night I drove the Saab
To meet a guy named Bob
He said, "You drive THAT--your'e a snob"
Sadly I let out a sob
Because I got turned down
Just because I drive a Saab
That's enough to make you sob

Cheers, DW

WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!!!
 Soul_Mates
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2006 4:00:43 PM
I would say no. I have a PT Cruiser that's in OK shape and although I do prefer to date people who have their own vehicle (so the driving is half-and-half)... I don't care what type of car it is so long as it is certified and insured (in case we have an accident in it).

My ex had a car at one point that you could not use the back seat because the floor had rusted out in the back. Admittedly, I did not like that.
 awesome_male
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2006 4:24:02 PM
Most people I see on here are giving the stock answers as usual. To all the guys I would say this. If you have a friend that has a Porche or Mercedes, etc... Ask them if they'd let you borrow it for an evening. Then pull up to your favorite club in this letting lots of people see you. Then go the next time in your ride and take note of the different ways each nights plays out. Up until about 8 months into my divorce proceedings I still had the Mecedes convertible. When i drove that to the clubs I never had a shortage of gals flocking to make friends with me. When I was forced to sell the car to pay for the mounting legal bills I began driving my Jeep. Now I love jeeps and that would be my vehicle of choice today. But interestinly women just wern't as forthcoming to meet me for some reason. Hmmmmmmmmm?
 designingwoman
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2006 4:39:58 PM
They are silly, that's why.

I don't care what a guy drives as long as he takes good care of the vehicle.

"nuff said.

A Slaab driver

DW

Now if a guy drove a volantor (flying car) that would be something else all together. Everyone would flock to him because that is totally different!! I read an article in Popular Science some time back about the volantor and other attempts at making a flying car. George Jetson rocks!!
 Wiccan_Ways
Msg: 49
Posted: 4/25/2006 5:39:02 PM
All i got to say about that topic is.. if youre lookin' for someone based on what they drive ..then youre not only being shallow but extremely arrogant!!!!!
 Blown383
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/5/2006 12:09:43 AM
I'm a HUGE car fan. I honestly believe that it really doesn't matter what you drive. In high school I had a 97' Camaro Z28... flashy muscle car and I put a ton of money into it to make it go faster....and I can only remember 2 girls that mentioned anything about my car. However I received tons of attention from guys!

Fast forward 9 years .....Im driving my old 96' Honda Accord daily beater while replacing my motor in the Camaro. The car's paint is peeling, oxidizing, the seats are a little ripped, and its been totalled twice!

With this car I ended up dating a HOT ass girl who had tons of money... she would get bored of the cars she drove every 3 months. She was driving a 80K special edition Mercedes Benz...then got bored and bought a SUV, then an Audi. However she hated to drive and I would drive her around in my piece of sh!t of a car.... I would roll up to Beverly Hills to shop at places like Neiman Marcus, Burberry, Saks Fifth Ave, and Fred Siegel, etc... She didn't care what kind of car I drove.... infact she said she loved it because it took us both where ever we wanted.

I plan on driving this car till it falls apart while I work on the muscle car. The muscle car is getting a 383ci motor, fully forged internals, and a HUGE blower. Im expecting it to make in excess of 700hp... and frankly if the girl doesn't like what Im driving..... screw her... I'm ready to upgrade gfs to a younger model with bigger headlights.

Another example of this is my good friend. He doesn't make a lot of money... think under $12.00 an hour, he doesn't have a car, takes the bus to go to work, and is overweight....but he has a gf who is a model and a go-go dancer at the hottest clubs in Southern California. She drives him everywhere and could care less if he doesn't have a car.

-B
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > does it matter what you drive