Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 borhan9
Msg: 10
How many guys or gals would consider dating a physically disabled person?Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Ok for me i would date a person with a disability depemding also on the disability. Also I have a disability so when i date i also have to take that all into account and how it effects me or her. But other than that I dont have a problem with it.
 scenicruzer
Msg: 22
How many guys or gals would consider dating a physically disabled person?
Posted: 11/23/2006 6:09:16 AM
I've been reading the many different threads on this base subject and have enjoyed reading the different views and opinions.
There are a few quotes I'd like to share that I think people need to remember when looking at any potential mate or even making new friends.

To paraphrase Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., "you cannot judge someone simply by the color of their skin or the condition of their body. You must judge the person by the content of their
character. "

"The key here is to realize that everyone is different, and a disability (or lack thereof) is simply a condition of the body, not the full measure of the man or the woman."

"that a person is only as disabled as you let them be and inside that person is someone whom isn't disabled and is worth getting to know."

"Disability is a matter of perception. If you can do just one thing well, you're needed by someone." Martina Navratilova

My 2 cents...
 ladybama2005
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2007 11:03:43 AM
why is it so hard for people to just look at whats on the inside of a person and not whats on the out side. for me there would not ever be a proble with dating some one with a less than perfect body . .. because i was raised to believe beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. and you should never judge a book by its cover.
 keanna1234
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/11/2007 11:15:40 AM
I have dated a guy who was def and it didnt matter to me, I was supportive of him and tryed to learn as much as i could about what he was going through. He was not born that way he got hurt as a teenager so he could speak and hear with hearing aids. He ment to the world to mer tho and his defness didnt change that.
 Vannili
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2008 11:55:01 AM
It depends on what kind of disability,if it is mental disability I will not date him , I am in doubt that he can not contribute on the relationship .
 guyot
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2008 2:55:04 PM
I have had several relationships with women with significant disabilities. They were all been good relationships, and disabilities have never been a negative factor in a relationship. Indeed, I would say that it has normative for me to be with someone who is physically different or disabled.

-Gray
 Vannili
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2008 9:04:35 PM
I would befriend a physically disabled person but I won't date him.
 guyot
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2008 9:37:56 PM
As I said to a similar question: Sure I would. My relationships with women who had significant disabilities were warm, wonderful, and fulfilling. I am much more worried about defective character than with a body that looks or works differently.

Vive la différence!
 guyot
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2008 6:07:37 AM
Yes, Safren made an excellent point. I never felt at all that I was in an unequal relationship with my disabled partners. We may have differentiated our roles a little based on what I could do physically, but my partners contributed equally.

-Gray
 Vannili
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2008 9:09:26 AM
If the guy have a great personality and good heart, I would date him and even marry him.
 guyot
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2009 8:15:13 AM
On the contrary. I would love to be with a woman with a disability or physical differences.
 VF102
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2009 9:08:55 AM
I did once. Some of the best damn booty I ever had!

Jason the Fed
 rosemay13
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2010 5:51:50 PM

Read the posted rules at the top of any forum.

Content Deleted

Contact Broadcasting
Off Topic reply

POF

mrcs84
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2010 1:14:34 PM
This is one of those things that I am shallow about. The dating world is enough of a crap shoot already without having to deal with someone being disabled. And yes, I am also one of those kind of people that would probably leave someone who -became- disabled during the course of a relationship. I'm just going to chalk that up to the whole "preferences" idea that people like to hide behind.
 Maleman999
Msg: 68
Posted: 10/23/2010 1:13:47 PM
I dated a disabled woman for a while and had a different experience. In her profile were the typical woman phrases that almost all women put in: Independent, financially and emotionally stable, blah, blah, blah.

She said she would never date a disabled guy because she wants a guy who would do tasks for her and take her places that she couldn't do or go on her own. So much for being independent. I think everyone throws that word in their profile just so they can say they know a big word. It really has no meaning in most people's profiles. There was also concern about public image because she said she wouldn't want people to see her with another disabled person-two disabled people together. It threw me for a loop hearing a disabled woman saying she would never date a disabled guy. Everyone has preferences and she has hers, so be it.
 blindJeremy
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2010 4:17:35 PM
Seems to me there aren't too many young women who would. I'm totally blind, and I have severe depression, and I've had almost no luck. I would date a woman with a disability if our combined disabilities would work out. Look at my profile, it's kind of sad I haven't had any luck in the last four months of being on here.
 blindJeremy
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2010 4:18:06 PM
Seems to me there aren't too many young women who would. I'm totally blind, and I have severe depression, and I've had almost no luck. I would date a woman with a disability if our combined disabilities would work out. Look at my profile, it's kind of sad I haven't had any luck in the last four months of being on here.
 Just 4 You
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2011 4:00:21 AM
I got diagnosed with Epilepsy at age 10 (1970), which resulted in my being sexually fixed in my teens. Being under legal age I had no say in the matter. All the Healthcare system needed was a signature from my parents to do whatever they felt was best.

I also got declaired Unemployable, Not allowed to get a Driver's License, and Not Allowed to get Married. I know the third one sounds stupid, but in 2008 I tried to get a Marriage License for my girlfriend and I (we both had epilepsy), and the Police got involved, sending me to the Sex Offender Program where I was forced to accept that it's wrong. We can be friends, but that's all.

Not Fair!!!

Just 4 You
 mrcs84
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2011 7:20:11 AM

I got diagnosed with Epilepsy at age 10 (1970), which resulted in my being sexually fixed in my teens. Being under legal age I had no say in the matter. All the Healthcare system needed was a signature from my parents to do whatever they felt was best.

I also got declaired Unemployable, Not allowed to get a Driver's License, and Not Allowed to get Married. I know the third one sounds stupid, but in 2008 I tried to get a Marriage License for my girlfriend and I (we both had epilepsy), and the Police got involved, sending me to the Sex Offender Program where I was forced to accept that it's wrong. We can be friends, but that's all.

Not Fair!!!

Just 4 You

Awe, come on man. You necro this thread AND you make the exact same post in another thread that's the exact same topic.
 henley2011
Msg: 74
Posted: 10/15/2011 7:28:27 PM
It depends on the diability. I've dated a guy with one arm, and one eye. He treated me better than the other guys that didn't have a disability. You are suppose to love unconditionally but i just can't deal with the mentally disabled.
 henley2011
Msg: 75
Posted: 10/15/2011 7:47:00 PM
Most people say no they will not date a disabled person. But, It's easy to say no, until the shoe is on the other foot. Be careful about what you say, because anything could happen to you when you wake up and walk out of your door and cause you to be disabled.
 Vannili
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2011 9:33:47 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^

That's true, but if I become disabled physically or mentally, I will not burden someone to date me/have a realtionship with... For I have nothing to bring on the table but my being a heavy baggage for him to carry.
PS
I hope you are still with that guy with one arm and one eye who treat you better than those guys with pair of arms and pair of eyes.. I bid you happiness.
 NaughtyMonkey360
Msg: 77
Posted: 11/4/2013 7:51:17 AM
Of course I would. After all, consider that a lot of people are emotionally and physicologically (sic?) handicapped and you cannot see it. You have to investigate to consider your place in the relationship. Same thing here axcept it's upfront and obvious. See it and move on. After all, the brain is the most potent sex organ and if the person you consider dating has character tht you respect, why should extrordinary physical features form a hurdle for you?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >