Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 12
Dating a sports fan?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I think it's silly when grown adults talk about atheletes as if they knew them, as if by watching them on TV they suddenly know everything about them.

Whoah! First off, I think this is far more than not being a sports fan, but a huge disdain towards people following sports.

I think it's just as silly when grown adults talk about authors, war heros, politicans, public speakers, etc., as if by watching them on TV or reading their book they suddenly know everything about them. In other words, it's not silly at all -- and people who follow sports with a passion aren't claiming to know the quarterback or point-guard's lives backward and forward.

If you see sports as just a bunch of guys playing with balls, I understand. However, that's not the concept of sports. It's competition, sacrifice, and growth -- witnessing people overcome adversity, build themselves up to a higher level, taking on challenges. Absorbing what it is to suffer defeat in different levels of games, and relating that to your own life. Persuing goals, and acheiving them or being denied -- right there in the arena.

Watching the NCAA tournament and watching George Mason, a smaller school, taken down 3 former national championship schools to get to the Final Four -- that is not pointless. It's better than a fictional movie, which you should also consider pointless (because it's fictional), but it's actual real life accomplishments that are very admirable.

It's a method of inspiration, and the successes and failures are easily demonstrated right before your eyes, requiring both physical strength and mental discipline. It helps people relate to their own challenges, seeing different players play different roles to carry out their objectives. It can provide inspiration, and it can also help people relate to the downfalls to better deal with them.

You don't have March Maddness -- you have March SADNESS! ;)
 tallcuteguy
Msg: 16
Dating a sports fan?
Posted: 3/28/2006 3:35:41 PM
I just back from vacation with a friend of mine and his girlfriend. Now i have to say it was getting to be march madness and he was on the internet looking up scores or watching television constantly which was totally annoying. I am a Ohio state fan and i love the buckeyes but i realize there are obligations such as work that are more important than that. I just feel sports are great in moderation but they suck in excess just like a lot of things in life.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 18
Dating a sports fan?
Posted: 3/28/2006 4:02:15 PM
Well obviously i'm a sports fan...haha. Love football, watch all of it I can during season. My kids love it, too. My man watches his football which we in the States call soccer. We talk about it, it's something that we share. So not a problem, we understand each other's fascination with it. To me I like football because of the strategy of the game. I realize the huge amount of money they make, many of them have their own charities and do tons of community service off season, too. I know the Bucs always have something going on community wise. It's the thrill the excitement of the competition, how the teams match up. I've also been to some of the fanfests and gotten to meet some of the players. Many of them are very gracious people. You find what you're looking for. THere is plenty of greed in corporate America, yet there are many corporations that do charitable work. Pick a profession you'll find greedy people, whiny selfish, whatever you want to find. It's there.
 Jessie-74
Msg: 25
Dating a sports fan?
Posted: 9/15/2009 11:22:43 AM
I like sports on occasion, yet there are to many things in life far more important than sports. I have acutally turned away possibilites because they were just too die hard sports for me. Sorry tail gate parties just do not do it.
 sonofabiscuit2
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Dating a sports fan?
Posted: 9/15/2009 1:37:34 PM
I was raised to love just a few things in my life. God, Country, Mom and the Detroit Lions. However I'm a horrible fan, I can't quote statistics, I only know a few of the players and I only care to watch long enough to see that they're going to lose again. Once at a family gathering, I said that Barry Sanders was getting the ball too much and my Grandfather kicked me out of his house. I watch maybe 2 or 3 games a week if that, but I use it as a way to relax. I get pleasure out of seeing the strategies used and the athletic abilities of certain players. I like players that are soft spoken and humble (ie. Ladanian Tomlinson, Barry Sanders) men who you wouldn't be embarrassed to have your mother around.

To me it's the same as watching the VMA's, the Grammy's, the MTV Music Awards or whatever other award show you like. I don't care one iota who wins, I'm only there for the excitement. Just so you know I don't like award shows at all, I won't even watch them.

I should mention I also like the Detroit Red Wings, but for a different reason. I played high school hockey and I like to imagine I could have been there, I know there is no way I could have, but it's a fantasy.
 Nathan_x
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Dating a sports fan?
Posted: 9/15/2009 5:42:51 PM
Do you like reality tv? How are sports any different from reality tv in basic concept? Just to be fair... from say, survivor or big brother? Real people competing in an artificial situation. Sports are the original reality tv.

It makes people feel a part of something bigger than themselves, same reason people like concerts. And it's spontaneous. You never know, as a fan, if on any given night you might witness something people will be talking about for decades.

Your certainly entitled to not like sports. And not wanting to date a rabid sports fan is reasonable. But when you blast sports and sports fans you only expose your closed mindedness, considering at least half the world considers themselves sports fans to some degree. Obviously there's something to it.
 ryansmsk
Msg: 36
Dating a sports fan?
Posted: 12/29/2009 6:57:39 AM
most people watch sports these days so i don't think your going to find many guys who don't watch sports , alot of girls don't . i noticed this when at a sports bar , where all the girls working there were just totally ignoring the hockey game on tv , it was like they didn't even care . but guys most of them watch some sports .
 bottleguy
Msg: 42
Dating a sports fan?
Posted: 12/14/2011 6:53:43 AM
Sports fans should marry and date sports fans. Myself, if its Sunday I'm watching NASCAR, baseball or football. Don't ask me to do anything else cause it ain't happening.
 Kariann71
Msg: 43
Dating a sports fan?
Posted: 12/14/2011 8:21:40 AM
I won't force him to watch my shows and I don't want to be forced to watch sports. I hate sports because I grew up with men in my family who were rabid sports fans AND my ex was obsessed with sports as well. I've had enough of it to last me a lifetime thank you very much. That being said I'm not against men having an interest in sports. Whatever makes you happy, right? As long as they don't have a problem with me having me own interests then we're all good. You do your thing, I'll do mine when a game is on.
 CheezyChick
Msg: 44
Dating a sports fan?
Posted: 12/14/2011 8:25:11 AM
Who doesn't like hockey?! Wtf t is wrong with you people?!!

;)
 Maleman999
Msg: 45
Dating a sports fan?
Posted: 12/14/2011 1:01:41 PM
That's the same way I feel about people who are obsessed with reality shows on TV, mindless sitcoms, game shows, and soap operas. And how many non-sports people buy sporting ware like Nike and Adidas? Isn't it hypocritical to insult sports but Nike shyt? Especially if it's stuff made in third world countries by child labor who make next to nothing, but sports stars have multi-million dollar contracts to endorse the product and company.
 Maleman999
Msg: 50
Dating a sports fan?
Posted: 12/16/2011 8:54:19 PM
Being obsessed with sports is as bad as being obsessed with POF forums.
 JCinVicBC
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Dating a sports fan?
Posted: 12/18/2011 4:49:13 AM
I'm definitely not a sports fan, except for cycling and to a certain extent, soccer. I like it when my local team wins, but other than that, I really don't give a toss. But I'm finding it quite difficult to find ladies around here who aren't rabid Canucks fans. I guess I could manage to date someone who is, but really they'd remind me far too much of my dad.
 Maleman999
Msg: 54
Dating a sports fan?
Posted: 12/18/2011 8:00:57 AM
For women who feel like they're sports widows: Would you prefer it if the man was into knitting and crocheting instead of sports? Didn't you know the guy was a sports fan when you two were courting? I guess a lot of women feel they can change the man and make him anti-sports once they're a couple. Would you agree to a compromise where you didn't watch any show you want to see in return for no sports shows policy? I didn't think so.

I think there's something seriously wrong in a relationship if a woman feels she needs a guy's attention 24/7 or every minute of his down time and is upset if there are any distractions in getting that.
 fryan
Msg: 55
Dating a sports fan?
Posted: 12/18/2011 12:37:35 PM
You sound more like you are anti-sports rather than simply not a fan. I'm not a fan of the opera but I don't criticize those who enjoy it. I'm sure we could all find hobbies or likes that each other have and criticize them. If you don't follow sports, that's fine. You don't have to "get it" or see the point. You're not the one doing it so you don't need to.

No, it's not "sad". I think you need to be a little more open minded that just because you don't like something, that it is still ok.

Do you watch movies or tv? I'm just curious because one could wonder why an intelligent human being would waste their time watching a fictitious plot with make believe people. See what an attitude of intolerance looks like?
 _allen_
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Dating a sports fan?
Posted: 12/19/2011 5:28:51 AM
I'm not a huge fan of sports.

I like tennis. I'd watch tennis all day if I could or better yet, if time permit, travel to a tournament (such as US OPEN) for a week or two and take in all the LIVE tennis matches I could.

Overall, I'm not a fan of the classics (i.e. Football, Baseball, Basketball, Golf, NASCAR, UFC, etc). I do occasionally catch a Cubs game on television. For some reason, I actually enjoy watching the Cubs play though I hate baseball with a passion.

A lot of the women I tend to date are hugely into football and/or baseball (It's a southern thing). I personally don't have a problem with dating women who are sports fan(atics). I've been on sports dates and have enjoyed myself immensely.
 IBC84
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Dating a sports fan?
Posted: 3/4/2012 12:22:58 PM
Being a sports fan isn't about the athletes, who wins or loses, etc - it's about having a connection to something greater - the fan base (Red Sox Nation!), the game itself (it's in my blood going back to town ball), and like it or not it's like any other interest people can develop. The degree of that interest varies, but - it's a common interest to connect and start a conversation around. Some of the best people I've met, I met watching a Sox game over a beer at a sports bar. If you're a true fan, it's not just about your team - it's about the game itself. Sports teach you so many important lessons - teamwork, leadership, discipline.... Many people that developed the more intense connection developed it like me - through playing it since a very young age, having a connection to the sport in their family (my grandfather and great-grandfather were great baseball players), and watching their "heroes" play over the years. Through all this you develop a very real connection to the game with many fond memories associated with it.

I'm sure there are things in your life you have a strong connection to - whether it's a hobby, a favorite past-time, or even a particular place. It's the same for sports fans, just our passion is a little more publicized and out there than others. :)
 grove_22
Msg: 59
Dating a sports fan?
Posted: 3/4/2012 1:10:02 PM
Liking sports isn't any different than liking theater, art museums, book fairs / clubs, gardening etc. I know multiple couples where one person is a sports fan and the other person isn't. When the sports fan is watching football, basketball, baseball etc, the non-sports fan can be enjoying one of their interests. A couple doesn't need to spend all of their free time together.
 Kissfromarose77
Msg: 61
Dating a sports fan?
Posted: 6/16/2015 10:34:08 AM
Playing sports is good, watching them excessively is not.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 62
Dating a sports fan?
Posted: 6/16/2015 5:42:30 PM
Nobody gets in between me and watching my hockey.
 south_city
Msg: 63
Dating a sports fan?
Posted: 6/17/2015 6:35:36 AM

Liking sports isn't any different than liking theater, art museums, book fairs / clubs, gardening etc. I know multiple couples where one person is a sports fan and the other person isn't. When the sports fan is watching football, basketball, baseball etc, the non-sports fan can be enjoying one of their interests. A couple doesn't need to spend all of their free time together.

Exactly. Not all or most sports fans are couch potatoes. I can easily watch football on Sunday and do other things with a girlfriend on a Friday Night or Saturday. There are people that watch and do things I'm not interested in. Such as most reality shows, soap operas etc. But I don't judge them just because of that.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >