Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Have you ever loved someone enough to let them go?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mangos-at-midnite
Msg: 27
Have you ever loved someone enough to let them go?Page 2 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
He was wonderful in all ways but he would not work...
I could no longer carry the whole load of support and live with this no matter how dearly I loved him..
7 years later,,,,I see him from time to time,,he brought me sunflowers last year
He still does not like work

prairie 44
 cncgandolf
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Have you ever loved someone enough to let them go?
Posted: 1/2/2008 6:14:06 PM

If you let them go, it's because you're willing to go through the process of un-loving them.

My daughter was being torn in two trying to abide by the court ordered shared custody. Her stepmother wanted her to stop seeing me. She wanted to protect her father. I let her go and when I did I gave her a plaque with a butterfly that said - in brief - when you love something, let it go .... etc. She came back years later (I missed some key events in her life) and it took 2 years to get her step mom's poison out of her system. I never stopped loving her. You don't, you know. Not when you really love someone.

Prior to that I had loved a man who absolutely could not tolerate children. The choice I had to make was him or my children. No choice. I loved him and let him go. I understood why he could never share a woman with a child. A couple years later someone invited me to contact him again. The fires were still hot and I chose not to burn myself with contact. I don't often think of him anymore, but when I do it is still with love and caring.

Yes, sometimes love does mean let go.
 ~rain~
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2008 6:15:50 PM
yes!!..he was my best friend!..

I told him to go for the chance of a life time in hs career.
He thought I was trying to get rid of him. I was doing this for him..his future..
I thought nothing could come between us anyway and things would work out in the long run.
He found someone else a month before he left to move across country and I was /am devistated!
Last I heard..she got pregnant a month after he left,(long distant relationship) and he was marrying her. (quiting his job out there and moving back here) He is giving up so much!
All I can do is sit here and wish him all the happiness this life can possibly bring him.
A day doesnt pass, where I dont think of him!

thats all I have to say about this.

If you let them go, it's because you're willing to go through the process of un-loving them.

so untrue....I let him go...because I do love him! Nothing can ever change that.
 ~rain~
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2008 6:23:21 PM
yes Nona...

this is a very bittersweet thread..

dashance
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2008 6:26:52 PM
Lol!!! Yeah,... funny how we do seem to dwell on our pasts though! GOOD I'm NOT the only one doing it!!! Yeah, I met a Wonderful Beautiful Woman almost twenty years ago. I was so smitten, and she was quite accomodating. I did fault myself though, I was freshly back to my home town after my first carreer of three years and was unemployed and taking upgrading courses at college. I ended up leaving town to further my education,... I learned a year or two later that she was the youngest Aunt of the buddy I left town with.... thus my knowledge that at least I think she's been married and had children.
Now,....?! Well, 13 years of the same job, and am ready for another carreer shift,... if it happened again? Well,... I think I have the potential to spite carreer for love. We can't take the physical with us when we depart the hereafter,... what about love? Guess thats where FAITH comes in!!!!
Second time was due to the fact that I just had to repect my future children (I still have those thoughts). Children have so much going against them as it is... why give them a harder life still? Sure I find it hard to abide by a smoker,... But NOT AROUND MY CHILDREN!!! I know the stat.s Even having one smoking parent increases the likelyhood of chidren becoming smokers. Yeah, THATS' great for a family, mine or my children! (sarcastic)
 mrdestiny911
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/2/2008 6:27:04 PM
Yes. 3 months ago, my GF of 8 yrs said she wasn't happy anymore and was not longer in love with me. I wanted to fight to keep her, but it's not like she wanted me to pick up towels off the floor or take up flamenco dancing to please her. Not something I an easily fix. She stated something that I couldn't fix, and although I've never been one to give up, especially after an 8 yr investment, I figured if I can't make her happy, or if she's not in love with me anymore, no amount of begging, pleading or crying will help. So I let her go on to a happier life, while I fell apart..So is the price of love.
 ~rain~
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2008 6:31:50 PM
Mizztery

You cant hold onto something that has to be set free!..Resentment always follows

We have to accept endings and realize that it is for a reason. (destiny)

We cant keep those close ,who dont really want to be there. The tighter we hold on..the faster they slip away.
 50_and_Fabulous
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2008 7:36:31 PM
I have done this.

It started in 1992 when I met the man of my dreams. It was a true "Love Story". We did everything right. We took it very slow. Dated every day for 9 months before anything ever happen. Once it did, there were no boundries to our love.

He asked me to marry him an I said NO! He said, no???? Why??? I said that I would only marry him under one condition. That condition is that you would give me a 50 year contract.

50 years???!!!??? I am already 52, he said. Yes, I know, I said. And in 50 years you will be 102 and IF you can find another wife...then God bless you! However, in 50 years I will will only be 87! And I KNOW I CAN find another husband!

He like my logic and agreed. We were married 2 years later. We never mentioned the contract again. On our 3rd anniversary he gave me a card. Inside he wrote 3 down and 47 to go. I cried.

His health had never been all that good. He was a cancer survivor and about the time we were engaged he was diagnosed with diabetes. He had a very hard time adjusting to the diet and exercise program. He started having strokes. He was haspitalized several times. A few of the times were touch and go. I was always by his side telling him that he had to pull through because I loved and needed him so much. He always did.

I came home one afternoon, after an anusually bad day. He had begun taking daily naps. I called up to him when I came in. This time there was no answer. When I went upstairs I found him collapsed on the floor. I called the ambulance and we went to the hospital.

As bad as it had been in the past, it was never this bad. The doctor told me that it was in Gods hands this time. Several hours later things got worse. I finally had to go to the doctor and tell him to stop. I knew it was time. The doctor agreed.

They tidied everything up and shut down the machines. He was in a coma now. They told me that the end would probably be only minutes away. I sat and held his hand. The minutes ticked away...then an 1/2 hour...then an hour....then more hours. The doctor said he did not understand. Just then, I did!

There were still 361/2 years left on the contract. Earlier when he was on the machines, his numbers would jump about five points everytime I spoke..but only when it was me speaking. I knew that even in his coma he could hear me and was listening to me. I knew what I had to do.

I bit my lip until it almost bled, Then lied through my teeth. I sat up straight, still holding his hand and told him that it was ok. I told him that I understood if he had to leave and that I would be just fine. A very short time later, he grasped my hand tightly and semi raised it twice....as if to say good bye. And he was gone forever.
 mommasays
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/2/2008 7:45:46 PM
i let a man i loved more than any other man in my life go because i knew he needed to be single......he has since dealt with his issues and met a woman he is now engaged to, i've had to mourn that engagement, but i am happy that he is happy

the guy i'm dating now i also let go...which was hard to do cuz i think he is so incredibly hot in so many different ways...but this time the man keeps coming back, so i know he is mine to keep
 mrdestiny911
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/2/2008 7:46:50 PM
Wow, 50 and fabulous, thats is really heartbreaking. Your a trooper and your story is majestic. Just remember he died loving you. That in itself is aspiring.
 mommasays
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/2/2008 7:49:03 PM

mr dyno---- real love thinks of the other persons' needs...just like a mother giving up a baby for adoption, she is doing this for the childs sake, no matter how much it breaks her heart

no such thing as "un-loving" someone
 no_1_bby
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2008 4:20:32 AM
The simple answer is yes.

While I am more then willing to fight for and work hard and *our* relationship, he wasn't. He claimed there were too many things that would prevent him from being truly happy.
 *buzz*
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2008 12:33:15 PM
When one contemplates letting another go that's the beginning of going. Yeah, one has to be strong to actually do it but under the surface one also knows that there is NO other option but letting them go.
As 'acapellafella' put it:

I loved myself enough to let my ex go.
: thumb up:
... suffice to say.
 fancynanci
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2008 12:52:03 PM
I am doing that right now. I let him go very recently....after 2 years. We shall see what the future brings - - hopefully good things. i want to fall in love again
 Lady~s Lament
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/3/2008 6:09:42 PM
If you truly love someone, you would be strong enough to want him to be happy - with or without you. My love for my bf hasn't been put to the test that way. Although I've grown to trust him a whole lot more now, I find it harder and harder to contemplate the idea of letting him go when I grow closer to him. (Whereas before when we just started dating, I actually encouraged him to date other women )

It's alright to be jealous. But I believe love is strong enough to overcome jealousy when you surround the person you love with everything good you have.
 Ignoble
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2008 6:14:57 PM
RE: First post.

LMAO... well I cant really respond to this but I will share my experience. In my experience when a woman wants to go... she FREAKIN GOES.... hahaha, I never really have much of a say in it.
 youmightthink
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/10/2008 11:31:09 AM
Yes. They ended up finding what they wanted with another person, and I'm happy for them.
 pathwalker49
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/12/2008 6:15:34 PM
When I was very young I loved a girl and she loved me. We always rushed to be together everytime we had the opportuinty. Finally her parents found out about me and flipped because my family was dirt poor.
Finally I quit seeing her because their constant ****ing hurt her so much. It was hard to do, but after while I got on with life.
Later I seen her and she was married, our feelings were still the same, and we enjoyed a good talk and well wish for each other.
 heaight
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2008 11:50:04 AM
honestly, unless it was for buisiness reasons or something like that i was holding her back from, i could never let any girl i truly loved go. call me selfish, but i call it logic, of course there are certain circumstances where i would feel obligated to let her go; buisiness, she was sick and needed help, or something like that. but i dunno if i could let her go if she wasnt happy in our relationship, only if she really insisted, cause i wont hold on to someone who doesnt want me to hold on to them. otherwise id try as hard as i can to work it out.
me i couldnt risk loosing someone i really loved, cause its too hard for me to trust people.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/13/2008 6:15:07 PM
I usually love me enough to let them go.
 windowshopping04
Msg: 47
Posted: 3/15/2008 2:12:09 PM
1) Yes, I loved someone enough to let him go 23 years ago.

2) He met, fell in love with, and married a wonderful woman who has added tremendously to his life (and he to hers). I attended their small wedding (less than 20 people) 15 years ago, and I am friends with both. Even though he lives half a continent away, I consider him one of my best friends in life, and we still talk weekly.

I gotta' peaceful, easy feeling...
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2008 2:16:57 PM
Yes

Isn't that what real love is? Wanting the best for the other person, being their biggest fan? Supporting them without thought of recompensation... just because you wish them the very best of life, love and happiness? And sometimes the "best" for them, is NOT you.. at least not at that time, or in that circumstance.

Anything else isn't love, it's captivity.
 jadegreen
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2008 8:54:43 PM
Yeah...and it is hard, but is better than hanging on too hard. Most of the time by letting go your setting your own heart free and love finds it's way back to you...
 ShadowLands
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2008 1:13:55 PM

For whatever reason, have you been strong to let someone go because you loved them enough?

Yup.

And if so, what happened or what ever became of them?

She shows up after every boyfriend or husband and expects me to take care of her. Loser.

Remember the old saying......"If you love something set it free. If it comes back to you it was yours all along. If it doesn't come back.....hunt it down and kill it."
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Have you ever loved someone enough to let them go?