Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Have you ever loved someone enough to let them go?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 youforme
Msg: 53
Have you ever loved someone enough to let them go?Page 6 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
YES!!! Because I Did Truly Love Her, and Wanted Her To Be Happy.
 pallyboy
Msg: 54
Have you ever loved someone enough to let them go?
Posted: 6/18/2008 4:46:44 PM
When I was 21 I fell in love with a woman who was perfection as far as I could see. We met through the mail when I was at sea in the navy. At first it was the occassional letter and then it was two or three a day. And that was before we met in person. We talked about marriage and I loved her whole family. But she had to go to work in D.C. and me in San Diego. The last time I saw her was her first day of work there. It took me a while to get settled and she was still searching for living arrangements too and so we didn't talk for a while. Too long. I finally got a phone number for her and when I called a guy answered. When I asked her if he lived there she said yes and then silence. I understood what that meant. I told her I loved her and always would and said goodbye for the last time. But I've never forgotten her and think of her everyday.
 borntoski683
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2008 9:32:34 PM
Yes. It was hard as hell and took me years to recover. She never forgave me either. She wanted something from me religiously that I could not provide and her family did not approve of me for her for the same reason even though they liked me personally, etc.. We were head over heels in love and could not face the music of the reality of the situation, but finally I made the choice for us.

Ah to be 28 again.........
 orchidtigress
Msg: 56
Posted: 7/1/2008 1:33:27 AM
Yes- he continued on with his life....but I still think about and miss him every day and often wonder how he is.
 kanyonatic
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2008 2:00:26 PM
yes they wanted to believe all their friends and didn't want to commit 100% to the relationship they also had past relationship issues so for my sanity and theirs i had to end it even though i knew it would work if he would only take more time out for us and not others. it hurt but i had to end it and i see he is still single the only difference is he has his ex gf and friends on there do 'heart warming' testimonies on his profile which i'm afraid makes him look sad and desperate as he has obiviously gone crying to them and they have felt they just have to back him scr*w the truth just back him no matter what lol i am now dating and enjoying life yes i sometimes stop and think what if but you cant live like that can you.
 JohnieTheWiseGuy
Msg: 58
Posted: 8/6/2008 8:40:57 PM
Yes...but in a different sort of way...my girlfriend was dying of a very rare illness and I did everything possible to keep her alive...never slept for a year...fought every issue to get her better health care and struggled to help her with every penny I had ...did my best to make her laugh at all times and ease her suffering...slept right beside her the last 3-4 months of her life in Palliative Care 22 hours per day...then when there was no more hope after saying she loved me I had to let her go fulfilling my promise to be with her when she passed away as I kissed her...the toughest part was letting go the last/final time before she was cremated...different than what most of you are talking about...still the worse type of letting go possible and harder to forget.

RatzoRico
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 59
Posted: 8/6/2008 8:45:18 PM
I've done that . . . twice. I'm sorry for your loss.
 cuteazabutton
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2008 12:23:50 PM
OMG yes and i pretty much wasted 13 yrs of my life thinking that something was going to happen between us such as marriage or me moving in with him. We both lived in two different cities and we talked more on the phone than we did in person. I finally opened up my eyes and knew that he wasnt going to committ to me anytime soon. I know what youre all thinking, why did it take me 13 yrs ?
Well i always had hope but we always remained good friends and we still love each other no matter what goes on in our lives and i know i will always have a friend to talk to whenever i need one.
 SthrnButtrfly
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2008 1:19:21 AM
Yes and Yes I am going thru this right now. I met someone over a yr ago....we have been thru alot. He is younger than me and when we got together the children issue wasn't a problem because he had prostate cancer and couldn't have kids and I have been fixed. anyway, here it is 17 mos later and after having some tests run, his sperm count is up and his chances of having children are 80% compared to the 24% when we met. He wants a family so badly...I am going thru the change, and my chances of having anymore kids is not good. I love him so much it hurts. Adoption is outta the question, costs too much money as does the surragate mother thing. At this moment I am looking to move my stuff into storage, and finding another place to stay because I know in my gut I will NEVER be able to give him the children he so richly deserves. I love him, but I am letting go.
 sriannaailyim
Msg: 62
Posted: 4/10/2009 7:54:54 PM
Yes I sure did-

He wasn't over the ex-wife...
Things were going good between us, we became really close, his family liked me and vice versa but his heart was still with her.

I wrote him a long and painful letter stating that I understood and that he should try it with her again (regardless of how dumb an idea it was). And he thanked me for understanding and said I was incredible.

I don't ever remember going through heart break that bad...
 parklabrea
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2009 8:32:46 PM
When I was in my early 20's, my cousin was married to a woman I adored. Naturally I didn't act on it, but it appears that she noticed it. They seperated and she showed up at my home. We ended up sitting on the bed talking, when that moment came. When the world comes to a stop and there is nothing but electricity cutting through you. It occurred to me that my cousin and her might get back together if I didn't get in the way, that it would be a betrayal of him, that it was simply wrong. I began to act like an ***hole and she left...I said I was young. Behaving badly was all I could think to do to get her to leave.

They did get back together, but before a year was up, they divorced and remain apart to this day. It's hard not to imagine what might have been. But I wanted to do the morally correct thing. Was I a fool to let her leave?
 Racenut17
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 12:07:43 PM
Yes.....
My ex and I had broke up and he met someone off of a dating site. He knew her for 2 months and married her. He found out later that she had alot of hidden secrets that effected their marriage and relationship. The love I felt for him was truly unconditional in every way. He and I remained like best friends even after we broke up. She was a very insecure person and would not allow him and I to remain friends any longer. I understood and had to respect his and her wishes. I was very sad I was losing my best friend. We did not talk for over 2 years, until one day he showed up at my door and told me what had happened with the two of them. She had gone off the deep end cleared the bank account and split. He had found out that she was suffering from a personality disorder called Bi-Polor. His family and friends all told him to get rid of her. I saw how much he was hurting over her and I suggested that he talk to her and see if they could work through the issues they had. I explained to him that had she been taking her meds like she was supposed to , the behavior she displayed may not have happened. He agreed to have dinner with her and discuss the possibility of working things out between them. They ended up getting back together. As much as it hurt me to let him go, it hurt me more to see him so unhappy without her.
 Listen2hear
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2009 6:34:21 AM
I believe in loving someone enough to let the GROW.
 Listen2hear
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2009 7:38:14 AM
missed a letter in the last post:

I believe in loving someone enough to let them GROW.
 funfran61
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 2/29/2012 9:30:42 PM
Yes, I met an amazing man on another date site. It all started rather precociously, as neither of us were very sure about the other. However, we had many, many a stimulating conversation on an array of topics. In each, we had our own opinions which caused the other to grow. We were both still looking, if you will. Then, I realized just how special he was but he'd found someone that he really, really likes.

I care very deeply for this man. He's the first man to ever treat me with true respect and unadulterated candor. Yet, I never spent a minute nervous or intimidated around him. Mind you, I was married for 12 years and never felt the love this man gave to me.
I want the very BEST for him... am I good enough for him? Absolutely. However, he too must believe the same about me, without it, it would lead us nowhere.

I did this same thing a couple times prior to my being married; however, I didn't know then what I know regarding the many and varied dynamics of love. This man is the real deal; deep, sensitive, intelligent, and unselfish.
 Samhein
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2012 2:48:21 AM
Im of a mind with Mike M on this; I don't see the position as genuine, but a less painful cover for some other truth.
Riter above is the only one who seems to have done it right; protecting them from some bad aspect of yourself.
 funfran61
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2012 9:03:28 PM
Yes AkitaWhite, you are right. It's like having your own heart ripped out and stomped on but there's more then just me to think about. I still prayer for him and wish him the very best in everything.
 VIRGOGLOW
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2012 6:14:08 PM
Yeah,I have! To challenge her would have hurt her and I promised I,d never do that. I'm still confused aboutif I was right or not!!
 Giggles10000
Msg: 71
Posted: 3/3/2012 6:37:13 PM
My ex just did this with me, said losing me was the hardest thing he had ever did and busted into tears; said he wanted me to find someone who could love me the right way and not hurt me like he had done.

Stupid ass didnt even realize that was loving me the right way. He found someone who could help his mom and I have lost all respect for him for using someone else. In some ways she deserves it cause of the things she did and is willing to do. You cant buy love!
 GASailor
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2012 7:21:53 PM
Several times. Back in my music business days I played Henry Higgins to a series of Liza Dolittles. Little girls lost in the chaos of big time music. Clean them up, straiten their heads out as much as possible and let them fly. Several of them I loved dearly. Painful happy memories.
 john_tamayo
Msg: 73
Posted: 1/3/2013 5:24:28 PM
yes i was married for 25 years i loved her so much i could have stayed she was cheating i found her in the motel room with another man she had no way out of the home i could have stayed and we still sleped together but u can see the difrence so i left the home paid th morgage for a year till she got her incom tax she then left i even helped her move out and i loved her like i could not ever love that way again but im here and trying so can u get over them yes in time but a lot of time its not easy even after what she did i didnt care all i wanted was to keep the famly together all i wanted was her love i new i would never get it so i gave up so im living proof that u can and she still in and out with him becouse he cheats on her with his x so whats it caled carma but u can she can get over it or u will
 john_tamayo
Msg: 74
Posted: 1/3/2013 5:32:20 PM
yes i agree if both love each other work fight hard for it oh lord do i beleve dont give up becouse its ment to be but if one is with some one ells and cheatting why bother i was with one last year she started a relation ship when she got a job guest like my x wifw did the same thing cheated on me and i fel for herbut now she loves two men is it fear for the person who is faithfull to hold on wile the other is cheating every day at work wile i sit home or at work i waited and i stoped now im looking for sme one but no games im looking for true love no cheaters thats all i ever had was cheaters all my life so if they love two they have to pick one or u have to do it for them
 john_tamayo
Msg: 75
Posted: 1/3/2013 5:43:56 PM
when i lef i tride all i did what i could but when another man is involved its hard to win becouse when u meet some one for the first time all the new lovw feelin is in te air and u can fight that lord i tride i siad i would not give up but i had to i said it and i did it if u love them let them go if they love u they will come bsck this is my second time well they havent come back
 passion2pleaseaz
Msg: 76
Posted: 1/3/2013 5:45:53 PM
i'm not jack hanna so i have never love something enough to set it free. lol
 Lion_of_York
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2013 3:39:16 PM
Ask yourself.
If they do not want to stay, why would you want them to?
Do you go where you are not welcome?
Other people are not all that different from ourselves. If you did not want to stay with someone, would you stay because they want you to.....or because they need you.....or because it would be inconvenient for them.....or because they might get upset?
If you say yes, then think of how long you would do that. If you say forever, then you are done.
I suggest you instead make a life of your own. You may not have any other choice anyway.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Have you ever loved someone enough to let them go?