Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 guyinacorner
Msg: 83
what does open minded mean to youPage 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
try anything once
 fuelharp
Msg: 84
what does open minded mean to you
Posted: 8/14/2009 12:37:20 AM
It means a general openness to anyone and anything, be it cultural, societal, sexual, physical, emotional, spiritual, intellectually.. the very essence is simple, come as you are. I like people who are different and aren't afraid to be unique and true to themselves.
 dardika
Msg: 85
Posted: 8/14/2009 3:34:18 AM
because you decided to post this question in the sex forums I assume you are wanting to know what open minded means in regard to sex.

There are many people who are not open minded when it comes to sex. They see it as something to do to procreate or to keep their partners happy, they do not like oral sex and do as little as they need to, to get by.

When one says they are open minded sexually this means that they enjoy sex and all its vast possibilities.

One needs to be careful though because ones definition of open can mean adding other partners such as swinging as well as sado/mas activities and can even go into activities that are not only immoral by societies standards but also illegal.

When saying you are open minded, I believe you should be clear with your potential mate about what that means...to you.
 Pollyhfx
Msg: 86
Posted: 8/14/2009 6:27:21 AM
You will try anything once and twice if you like it... Hey thats me teeheee
 Ambientflyer
Msg: 88
Posted: 9/8/2009 11:17:11 PM
It means you are not quick to judge before getting all the information and are open to ideas that may seem different or even contrary to your current set of ideas.
 Calientecutie
Msg: 89
Posted: 9/9/2009 2:53:28 AM
open minded

being accepting
not judgmental
respecting each other's ideas
values and morals will be treated with respect
accepting the differences
learning about them
liking the positive and negative.most of it knowing it is an allround package
 GentlemanJim4one
Msg: 90
Posted: 9/9/2009 3:50:50 AM
Just don't confuse one being "open minded" with someone "accepting" A person might be open minded about the differences in someones personal beliefs, sexual kinks, desires, or even religion. But that does not mean he or she will accept differences in you and them. It could mean they are open minded enough to respect those differences, but it does not mean they want them in their life. So proceed with caution.
Like many, I consider myself very open minded and even very accepting of other's lifestyles. But there is a line or limit as to what I'd accept in the way of a partner.
 prettybird74
Msg: 91
Posted: 9/9/2009 2:11:27 PM
it means many things. intellectual open mindedness, political and religious open mindedness. Of course, sexual open mindedness. Just meaning in my use of the word someone who isn't judgmental or has societal acceptance issues. Sin is fun.
 OutMind
Msg: 93
Posted: 4/23/2010 8:29:58 AM
I personally prefer to be Out Minded. Hehehe.

That means I am open to ideas, to the point that they are sometimes Out there.
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 94
Posted: 4/23/2010 10:30:34 AM
^^^ Ha ha ha ha ha... I can agree with that. Hmmm reminds me of Me!
Have a beer for that one dude.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2010 1:00:55 PM
Open minded to me is an essential element to embracing the philosophy that diversity is an essential aspect of human success, which means however comfortable I may feel in my own perspectives, I know that if everyone were just like me a lot of important things would happen, but at least as many important things would NOT.

On a dating level, while being open to sexual experimentation is certainly one aspect, it's also appealing to be with someone who's open minded enough to accept my quirks and open minded enough about others to make us unlikely to clash in our views of the world.

Dave
 Big_fun_wave
Msg: 97
Posted: 4/23/2010 2:26:48 PM
Someone who can cast a broad scope on lifes many possibilities. A person who makes an effort to understand things that to some may be difficult to understand. Anyone who will atleast consider trying something new.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2010 2:37:13 PM
Thing of it is, it doesn't matter what it means to me, to you, or to any one else EXCEPT the person who says it.
"Open minded" is an entirely RELATIVE term. As with any word or phrase, you can find various "authoritative" sources of definition. None of them will matter either.

I have known many people who used that phrase, and every one of them meant something slightly different.
- some meant: "I'm kinky. If you don't like me, it's because you aren't Open Minded."
-others: "Open minded" means "weak minded." People who say they are Open Minded are simply indecisive."
-and: "I hope you are open minded. I intend to live sloppily around you, use your money up, see other people on the side without telling you, do what I want, fail to live up to any promises I make, and still expect you to live up to yours."
-or: "I have been associated with a very controlling person whose strong religious beliefs made me feel crushed. I don't want to get into that trap again."
-then: "If you have Closed your mind to the Will of God, I don't want to be associated with you."
-again: "I feel nervous that you might disapprove of parts of my past. I don't want to have to apologize for what is already done and gone."
- from the 1960's and early70's: "You haven't made up your mind ahead of time about me, or other things in life."
-from the 80's and 90's: "I hope you are Open Minded about being thoroughly selfish, and raping and pillaging everything we can get our hands on."

And so forth. In other words, it has so MANY meanings, that by itself, it is meaningless.
 valleyguyaz
Msg: 99
Posted: 1/21/2011 9:42:01 PM
being an open minded person in my opinion means allowing yourself to accept other peoples differences without passing judgement on them.it also means being willing to try new things with an open mind. this may include personal, social and sexual activities.

bilby886
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2011 9:22:24 AM
Open minded:-
If its got a pulse then F### it!
If it ain't, then kick it till it does!
 Dan99993
Msg: 102
Posted: 1/22/2011 5:21:47 PM
Don't know what people mean when they say that..

-open-minded in general? Not stuck in their ideas and willing to learn?
-open-minded as in: into polygamy, swinging, gang bang, etc?

I'd try to read it in the context of what they say, or ask them.

If you're stuck in your tradition, opinions, never let anyone teach you anything, you're not open-minded.
Open-mindedness means: open to change, to growth.

Not open to anything however crazy it is.
 EmailTomNow
Msg: 103
Posted: 1/23/2011 9:38:16 AM
in younger women in their 20's and 30's it can often mean a code word/phrase for being attracted to races other than their own.
 RazaMixta
Msg: 104
Posted: 1/24/2011 12:17:57 AM
To me it means willing to look into things, being receptive and non judgmental of new and different ideas, concepts and circumstances.

Ultimately making up my own mind, but only after I've considered it!
 jed456
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2011 11:21:10 AM
Open minded to me is being open to new ideas different cultures.And open to sexual fantasies with a partner.It also means being non judgemetal.
 whytwater
Msg: 106
Posted: 1/26/2011 4:03:42 PM
in younger women in their 20's and 30's it can often mean a code word/phrase for being attracted to races other than their own

I suspect, for that age group, "open-minded" means a hell of alot more than that! Most 20-somethings are color blind, I think; racial prejudice is just not kewl.
I've heard that tattoos of butterflies on a woman that age mean she prefers black dyks. lol Seems there's lots of codes out there.
Sooooo, what's "open-minded" for a 40-something mean? Anal sex?

OP, I agree with the guy who says you have to look to the context where the term arises. It's usually issue-specific. A profile on this site may mean open to different races, or anal, threesomes, etc., or just be a throw-in, a general reference to activities (the non-sexual kind). I read most self-descriptive adjectives in profiles as "loss leaders". Might be one aspect that fits the adjective, but the other "goods" for sale might not be so good. lol
Then again, who out there is going to advertise themselves as "close-minded"?
 whytwater
Msg: 108
Posted: 1/26/2011 5:10:51 PM

It means your brains fell out.

Decades ago, I met a guy who, instead of saying "fvck you", put the hex on ya by saying, "I hope you ass falls off!" Like that guy in the yellow rain slickers tricycling at the end of Laugh In, that ass-falling-off curse cracks me up! Lol
I just never think quick enough to use all my weapons.
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2011 5:36:15 PM
^^^^Do butterfly tattoos really mean what you said? You owe me one mop top....I'm gonna let you off the hook today.
 oopladoopla
Msg: 110
Posted: 1/26/2011 6:00:12 PM

To me it means when faced with a situation that isn't life threatening it's not treated as though it is. The automatic reaction isn't to start judging, laying blame, running away, and withdrawing into a ball of self protection.
 recreator611
Msg: 113
Posted: 2/3/2011 3:22:13 PM
I would think open minded might be one or the other wanting something out of the ordinary.....or maybe thier lifestyle...
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 114
Posted: 2/3/2011 7:42:46 PM
~OT~ For me? It means all sorts of things: *Intellectual* ~ those willing to discuss without judgment: religions other than their own, political views other than their own, controversial current events, cultures/practices unfamiliar or unlike their own; *Spritiual* ~ being willing to consider religion as a personal choice vs. the wrong one; *Sexual* ~ not judgmental of that which they don't understand or find no value in, but a to-each-their-own attitude; *Civility* ~ they leave the racial stuff out of whatever it is that is in front of them. People are just people attitude. And my list could go on and on. An open mind is just that: open to information/idea/theory unlike their own. JMO
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >