Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MN2598529
Msg: 315
view profile
History
Would you date a guy without a carPage 4 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)

Why don't any of you people use public transit? :|

Exactly. Where I live (in the metro area of MN), I can easily get to the mall, several movies theaters, awesome restaurants, art museums, live shows, comedy clubs, etc relatively easily and cheaply. Do I own some new super-gas efficient car? No. I take public transportation, which (where I live) is pretty damn good. Once the light rail is completed, you'll be able to traverse freely between St. Paul & Minneapolis, and at a much faster speed with virtually zero traffic.

And the buses and trains are clean, usually quiet, and mostly filled with college students or people going to/from work.

For me, and where I live, I can get to almost anywhere within the metro area within an hour (give or take) using public transportation.

So really, when you think about that kind of environment, and a woman says to you, "since you don't drive I won't date you." This should be in the Webster's dictionary under "shallow."
 MN2598529
Msg: 316
view profile
History
Would you date a guy without a car
Posted: 7/30/2012 7:38:47 PM

not ALL girls will break up with you for not having a car. my first boyfriend (of 6 years) didn't have a license. didn't bother me a bit. i had a car. and sold it so i could have a nicer apartment and then later, a house. i ride my bike. if it's crappy outside then i take the bus. for most of the people i know this is a completely normal mode of transportation.

a car doesn't change your personality. doesn't make you nicer, cooler, sexier. it can be a status symbol. so perhaps girls who are solely interested in how much you make (which translates into how much you can spend on her) feel that having a car is a necessity. or maybe girls who expect you to drive them around all the time. but i would ask - why don't THEY have a car if they need that type of transportation?

IMHO you should have a car only if YOU feel YOU need a car. don't get one to impress others. they should be impressed with you alone.

:)

Couldn't have said it better myself.
 Trancefan
Msg: 318
Posted: 8/1/2012 10:25:06 PM
Lol @ all the females saying they wouldnt date a guy who didnt have a car.

They are the same females that wouldnt date a guy unless he had a $50,000 + salary job.

gold-diggers, simple as that.

And guys, you dont want to date a shallow woman like that anyways.

and the reality is.. most of the females here are old.. so they expect ppl to have established careers already.

so with that logic.. I kinda understand.. but.. this is dating, not marriage.. we dont owe u anything.

it should be about love & attraction.

for the record, im 21, and I dont have a car yet.

take the damn subway, lazy
 PlainJon
Msg: 329
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2012 6:32:46 AM
Yes the license is cheap...
A car is not. I can afford a car many times over. I just don't feel comfortable driving.
I got my license in 1978 and keep the license up every 5 years.
But insurance is the kicker...Even though I am in my 50's and have never driven, I called many insurance companies and as a first time uninsured person regardless of age it would be almost $6,000 for one year.
Now that is definitely not an investment I would make just so I maybe could get a date out of it.
I'll rent a limo first for a night on the town.....
If it is all about a car then perhaps the other person is not worth it. Just the same if a person in a vegetarian..is that a deal breaker? I wouldn't date him or her because they don't eat meat. We have to accept other people's lifestyle choices and try to accommodate our lives around that choice.
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 333
Posted: 8/20/2012 5:46:38 PM
My car died when I was moving here 15 years ago and I just never go around to replacing it. For me it is not an issue whether a guy has a car or not. I know how easy it is to get around by walking and using public tansportation. My budget loves not having a car and my health loves the fact the I walk to and from work every day. No car, no problem.
 angelfoxbaby
Msg: 335
Posted: 9/5/2012 12:08:36 PM
lord of war amen to that ,,,if ppl cant date you for you are they arent the type id like to date and i do drive btw,,,lol
 DevilfromToronto
Msg: 349
Posted: 10/1/2012 9:42:52 PM
depends... if he really can't afford a car, or he wants to save some money for emergency, thats ok
 onefreeguy
Msg: 354
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2012 3:37:18 PM
I didn't realize that having a car was a prerequisite for dating. No car -> no date? I had no idea.

I actually have a few different cars in my driveway, all my own. Does that allow me to date a different woman for each car?
 helpimstuck
Msg: 357
Posted: 11/7/2012 7:00:42 PM
well dating some one with out a car ...i guess it depends on where you both live.. if your in a big city with lots of public trasnportation i guess ites ok to not have one.. but i would not date somebody with out a car. since i live in the country and its a $25 dollar cab ride to my place...
 kickingfate
Msg: 360
Posted: 11/9/2012 3:39:16 AM
lets flip the question..

would women think its fair if men decided not to date you because you didn't have a car, no matter what your personality is..no car no dates..do ladies think that's fair?

I have a vehicle , but i can say the $900 bucks a month it costs me to own it between car payments, insurance and gas would be a lot nicer looking in my savings account and imagine how early i could retire if i put just $500 of that every month and put it toward a retirement fund. If i lived in a city with good public transport and worked in the city i would be more then happy to sell my vehicle in favour of a monthly bus pass, a mountain bike and maybe a scooter or something.

so IMO any woman who wouldn't date a guy JUST because they don't have a car is shallow, self centred and not worthy of dating anyways because it seems obvious they are most likely very close to the definition of a gold digger.
 Kohmelo
Msg: 362
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2012 8:21:25 PM

$900 bucks a month it costs me

I dish out about $320 between gas and insurance, but my car is paid for. It's also 15 years old. The only time I'm glad to have it is when I do groceries. Other than that I'd really prefer to have everything I need within walking distance.

I think women prefer men with extravagant vehicles because it shows he can handle expensive burdens that are completely impractical and really only fun to drive.
 kickingfate
Msg: 363
Posted: 11/12/2012 5:58:49 AM

KOHMELO: I dish out about $320 between gas and insurance, but my car is paid for. It's also 15 years old. The only time I'm glad to have it is when I do groceries. Other than that I'd really prefer to have everything I need within walking distance.

I think women prefer men with extravagant vehicles because it shows he can handle expensive burdens that are completely impractical and really only fun to drive.

I wish i bought the vehicle because it was fun to drive. i travel quite a bit for work and can expense back mileage and fuel (thank-god) I need the room in the back of the Escape for my stuff i have to take with me(training aids, laptop, projector,books..etc etc etc) and I travel all year and hence i wanted the extra safety of a 4x4 vehicle and being 6'3 and 230 lbs there are not many cars these days built with guys my size in mind (trust me i have test drove many looking for one) so i need an SUV for comfort as well. Not to forget to mention my daily commute just to the office, when im not travelling to clients, is 50km each way and in the winter the roads i travel on in the Stratford area are notoriously bad for visibility and general conditions during even small snow events because its wide open flat countryside.

So I don't know where your comment about impractical vehicles and "really only fun to drive" was heading but i can tell you my vehicle was purchased with Practicality, comfort and safety, fuel economy in mind and "fun to drive" came in last place on my shopping list. Plus i am not willing to trust a 15 year old car when its -20 , blowing snow and I am somewhere in the middle of the country between This little town and that hamlet on some country road barely travelled save for the locals in blowing snow and bad roads.
 Kohmelo
Msg: 364
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2012 3:16:26 PM
^^^ dude. relax. it was a joke. about why women like men with nice cars, had nothing to do with you.
 LonelyBandito
Msg: 375
Posted: 12/29/2012 12:36:09 PM
I work in downtown and live in downtown....do i need a car? NO!
when I go somewhere far, simple....I take airplane!
if i have a date i take taxi and pick her up at the same time..
If she wants dinner at my place..simple..i pay for her taxi...if she doesn't like it..no problem! she'll miss her dinner!
 onefreeguy
Msg: 376
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2012 9:46:49 PM
Well, I can understand why a woman would like a man who can do most of the hard driving. ;-)
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 379
Posted: 1/1/2013 9:50:15 AM

I even have written in my profile , that I'm looking for a women with an active
life style ( NOW) , and enjoys these activities , and that means you have a CAR
or mode of transportation.

This is pretty insulting to people who choose not to have cars for a variety of reasons. I personally have many modes of transportation, the most important of those being my own two feet! I know may people, who like me, choose to not have a car for what we feel are very important reasons. 1 - to step outside our society of conspicous consumption. 2- to drastically reduce our environmental footprint. and 3- our health. I sure the h3ll am not a couch potato in fact I am far more active than most people simply because I do not own a car and walk everywhere, including to the gym!

If I do need transportation other than my feet, there's always my bike, public transportation, taxis and rental cars. I never expect anyone to drive me around or pick me up and if you were totally honest with yourself, you would probably insist on picking your date up and driving anyway.
 minoroffence123
Msg: 383
Posted: 7/27/2013 7:45:01 AM
witht he price of gas, insurance and parking, I choose not to drive, I live downtown and can get around much easier with a bike. as for a girl who wouldn't date me because I don't drive, I wouldn't date a girl who wouldn't want to bike around the city
 missuniverse2013
Msg: 385
Posted: 8/6/2013 11:09:28 PM
I would really have to wonder why the guy, as an adult independent male, doesn't own a car. So no, if he doesn't have a car, he's out :-)
 ladyliscious
Msg: 386
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2013 10:30:33 PM
Yes I take the bus and have actually dated others who do the same. A relationship is about alot of things and transportation is a minor detail. Getting together is easy enough if both are willing.
 PlainJon
Msg: 388
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2013 9:53:00 AM
Well I have a driver's license and I have never wanted to drive. I could afford a car many times over, but I see so many crazy drivers out there, distracted while texting, running red lights, and the sort that I just do not feel comfortable.
If not having a car is a deal breaker then obviously the lady puts little emphasis on compatibility and what the other person is all about.
 MiaIris
Msg: 389
Posted: 10/14/2013 5:39:33 PM
I've dated my ex who had a 150 Ford truck from the 80's. If you know cars it's not the most modern and best-looking car. Now, he sold his vehicle. We are still dating. We only ceased the relationship due to his heath issues.
 jerryy1956
Msg: 390
Posted: 1/4/2014 11:01:45 PM
I totally agree. I've seen many women that rank about equality-well now they've got it. Do they open doors for men-no. Do they drive men around-not many-just listen to the excuses here. If a women's interested she'll make the appropriate sacrifice as I'm sure you would.
 kijacm
Msg: 392
Posted: 2/9/2014 6:56:12 AM
I would only date a man who didn't have a car, if they lived in the same town as me. If they lived in another city, as so many do, not having a car is definitely a deal breaker for me, unfortunately. And it's not because I'm shallow or don't want to be a chauffeur... I live in a small town, most guys I talk to live in the city.
 kijacm
Msg: 393
Posted: 2/9/2014 7:00:26 AM
and yes, I own a car. But, I don't always want to be the one going here and there.
 GojiraIsGod
Msg: 394
Posted: 8/1/2014 9:46:00 AM
Ok, after reading quite a bit of these replies, I get it. Most of you are at the age where having a car just doesn't make sense, but for me at 26, I feel like it hasn't been necessary until recently. I lived in a city, working downtown. I'm sure you all know how expensive that can be, $20 a day for parking is crazy, plus gas on top of that? No thanks! Recently I moved out of the city so now I need to travel further and public transit just doesn't work for me. So I feel like it all depends on the circumstances, and people should give someone a chance to explain that. Unless of course you own a home and/or have children, it would make more sense to have one.
Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  >