Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 m8t
Msg: 43
It may be stupid, but what did we do with out cell phones?Page 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I was once addicted to the internet on my "crackberry", after years of not having any type of phone.
Now I have a little prepay thing, and ignore it most of the time.

My life style hasnt changed. Im just able to call someone in an emergency without searching for a pay phone.
 Walts
Msg: 44
It may be stupid, but what did we do with out cell phones?
Posted: 5/25/2013 5:02:27 AM
There is a time and place for everything.

I have two phones. Galaxy for workey, and I-phone for personal. Workey phone is useful in that I can get drawings sent quickly to me, and I can actually read them on the phone without having to print them out,back at the office. Does speed up the process of communication and information required in my line of work. The email thingy drives me crazy for the reason that a lot of people don't know how to get a point a cross and I usually have to read 10 emails before I can figure out what the problem is. I usually solve it with a couple words or a sentence or two.

And then you get the apps. Though I never thought I was gonna be one of those that would even think of using these kinda things, I'm now at that point. I use the weather apps(work is dependent on it, also my fishing), watch my river "levels", and have a world wide "map" on my phone, giving me the ability to "find" something,even in a town I have never visited.

Without my cel, I would have to carry a mapbook or two. I would have to depend on the radio, or newspaper for a "guess" on the weather, not up to date, "real time" info. I would have to use a "fax" machine. The phones nowadays are "tools", and can be quite useful. And as m8t ^^^^^^^ states, they also can be very addictive. In saying all of this, I am a man that is more than able to leave both of my phones on the counter when I do need/want the time to be "disconnected". By the time the weekend comes around, I'm usually never carrying the things around with me. Especially if I'm standing waist deep in a chilly river.
 soo-girl
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/25/2013 6:17:48 AM
I don't have a cell phone and I don't particularly want one either. I manage quite well with a regular old-fashioned landline. To be honest, the ringer on that phone is turned off most of the time anyway. The peace and quiet is very nice. :-)
 wolvesatthedoor
Msg: 46
Posted: 5/25/2013 7:53:20 AM
I had "work" cell phones for fourteen years and got rid of the last one seven years ago at retirement. Don't miss one a bit. Now I just do what I did before them, enjoy the freedom.
 Maleman999
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/25/2013 9:06:22 AM
I only have a cell phone because I was given one by a family member who insisted I stay in touch with 21st century technology. There are only a few people who have my cell number, and none of them call me on my cell. All of the calls I get are on my land line, and I've had my land line number for decades, so my cell phone sits in the car when I go somewhere and it's there for emergencies only, which luckily I haven't had to use yet. The only calls I get on my cell are from telephone solicitors-which surprises since my cell phone number isn't registered anywhere for the public to know. I have a pay as you go plan.

Another thing I noticed is I don't get a standard phone book every year like I did in the past. The only phone book I get now is a yellow pages directory. I guess with so many people using their cell phones as their only phone, and with being able to look up people's info on the internet, Bell must have figured it isn't worth the effort to print out a book with a white pages directory.
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 48
Posted: 5/25/2013 9:10:26 AM
I haven't had a landline for years and use my cell phone for everything. It goes with me where ever I go, but most of the time it is on silent (or as my kids call it, ignore mode). Like Walts, I use it to read documents and such. It is handy when I am at a conference in another city to be able to walk someone through a problem via screen shots sent to my email. Amazing how much work I get done on trains with just my cell phone. (means I don't need to go back to the office to do follows ups.)

Now for my personal life, the phone is with me but tucked away. I will admit that there are times when I am out with my SO and we both have pressing work concerns going on that we will take a 5 minute phone break to deal with issues, for us this means that we can spend time together when we really should be in our respective offices and 20 years ago we would have been. So yes I do like and use my cell phone.
 Insanity_Inc
Msg: 49
Posted: 5/25/2013 2:28:40 PM
A cell phone is just a phone that is really small and easy to carry with you. I haven't had a land line in years. My cell phone plan is cheaper than any landline phone plans I have seen. I like being able to phone my mother and have a chat while walking in the park on a lovely day :)
 hounddoug
Msg: 50
Posted: 5/25/2013 2:50:48 PM

I like being able to phone my mother and have a chat while walking in the park on a lovely day :)

That's the funny thing, seeing people walking alone and talking, making sure they're actually talking into a cell phone. One never knows what their invisible friends might tell them as you walk by.
 anita_lay
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2013 2:57:30 PM

Without my cel, I would have to carry a mapbook or two. I would have to depend on the radio, or newspaper for a "guess" on the weather, not up to date, "real time" info. I would have to use a "fax" machine

And a camera. And a dictaphone. And a book. And hope that a pay phone is close by and hadn't been vandalised..
 wolvesatthedoor
Msg: 52
Posted: 5/25/2013 3:42:06 PM
My "land line" is also where my internet connection is. Best deal here. What is so important now vs. before cell phones that you need that non land line? Poor planning?
 pageforyou
Msg: 53
Posted: 5/25/2013 6:32:02 PM
Good planning, actually! Non land line or cell phone can save you when you are not where your landline is and you need to call 911. Public phones have completely disappeared from my city and even highway rest stops! That's all I have mine for, emergencies. Especially when driving long distances in isolated places. Even if you have someone with you, which I don't always have the luxury of, if they don't have a cell and you are on an isolated, slow stretch of highway, and have a breakdown, you are hooped. And there is far too much of a chance that the person who "stops" isn't going to make things better. Nice if you have a life where you believe you never have to think of this stuff. But, I do ... most of us do ... and for good reason. It's good to anticipate and take care of yourself when the option is available.

I don't buy time for my phone. It's old as the hills. But it still can get through to 911.
 Maleman999
Msg: 54
Posted: 5/25/2013 6:57:17 PM

I don't buy time for my phone. It's old as the hills. But it still can get through to 911.

This brings up another topic. I remember the days when there was no such thing as 911 (and obviously no cell phones). I remember in our home and in most other people's homes, people would have a list emergency numbers to call written on a piece of paper beside their phone-local phone number for the police, fire department, and ambulance. They were regular 7 digit numbers and you had to call the appropriate service and number in the event of an emergency.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 55
Posted: 5/26/2013 5:53:08 PM
I don't do any wondering about what we did without cell phones. I got by as a technical sales person covering the province of B.C. and as a field inspector for a couple of engineering companies travelling all over B.C, Alberta and the NWT in the 90's and the first half of the 2000's without a cell phone ( all three companies I worked for thought a cell phone was an unnecessary expense and one was the largest engineering consulting company in the world ) and I still don't own a cell phone.
 Maleman999
Msg: 56
Posted: 5/26/2013 7:21:14 PM
Does anybody remember the satire TV show "Get Smart" in the late 60's/early 70's about a bumbling, goofy secret agent (Don Adams) and his secret agent partner (Barbara Feldon)? Don Adam's character had a lot of gadgets to get him out trouble, and these gadgets were considered on the ridiculous, cartoonish side. One of these ridiculous gadgets was a telephone (with a rotary dial in the heel) concealed in his shoe. What made everyone think it was so stupid and cartoonish was the thought of having a portable, wireless phone. People thought at the time that was not, and never will be, possible to have something so ridiculous as a wireless, small phone.

I won concert tickets from a radio station, decades ago, with a rotary phone.

I remember on those types of contests where you had to phone in, they usually said "If your using a rotary dial phone call (such an such) number. If you're calling from a touch tone phone, call (such and such) number."
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2013 8:27:09 PM
I have two of them. One is my personal phone (no land line) and the other is a company cell. Because of my job I have to carry the company phone everywhere I go.

I've gotten use to not having a land line.
 anita_lay
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2013 8:41:24 PM
Does anybody remember the satire TV show "Get Smart" in the late 60's/early 70's about a bumbling, goofy secret agent (Don Adams) and his secret agent partner (Barbara Feldon)? Don Adam's character had a lot of gadgets to get him out trouble, and these gadgets were considered on the ridiculous, cartoonish side. One of these ridiculous gadgets was a telephone (with a rotary dial in the heel) concealed in his shoe. What made everyone think it was so stupid and cartoonish was the thought of having a portable, wireless phone. People thought at the time that was not, and never will be, possible to have something so ridiculous as a wireless, small phone.

I thought the joke was the phone being in the shoe..as in, he was talking to his shoe. But hey, I was about 10 at the time. Anyway, my favourite gadget was the laser blazer.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2013 10:11:24 PM

Women with long hair and Bluetooth devices really kill me. It looks like you are talking to yourself and need to be locked up in a runner room.....lol

Years ago, son's mom and I lived in Philly, and I lost count of the times I would hear tales of the "crazies" in downtown Philly who were just walking about doing just that: talking out load to no one but them self. First time you actually see it for real it's a bit disconcerting. That was also the year of my first exposure to a cell phone: techie at work who had more money than common sense had one - seemed like a bit of an unnecessary expenditure back then and took 20 years, or so, to get one of my own.

Now days I still find it disconcerting to see someone talking to no one in particular, especially here in a small town, that is until they turn around and you see the bluetooth earwig!

TK
[yup, even the crazies now can appear normal]
 raxarsr
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2013 3:34:29 AM
well..we didnt annoy the hell out of other people by constantly talking/texting/playing games constantly

we also didnt have accidents cause by texting/talking on the phone
Posted: 5/27/2013 9:34:07 AM
What did we do without cell phones? Simple - we did. We did do.

Even one time back when there were only landline phones, I chose to not have a phone (service) along with a t.v. in my house for a period. It was great. I did just fine. Life was not less. Just different.
 forums1
Msg: 62
Posted: 5/27/2013 11:55:25 AM
Maddie51:

Sometimes I wonder if the world is getting too hi-tech and impersonal. Are we forgetting to slow down, kick back and smell the roses once in a while? Maybe backing up a bit is not too bad of an idea.

I agree, I go out and I see people walking around oblivious to the world around them, staring at these little "smart" phones (there's an oxymoron), texting away to people while totally ignoring the world and real human beings around them. Don't get me wrong, they can be a great tool for someone who travels a lot (gps/directions), etc, but when the phone starts taking the place of actual human interaction, you gotta start to wonder...

I have a basic Nokia flip phone (6102i), keypad only, with a camera (hey it was free with the 2yr contract when I got it like 7yrs ago)... it's good to have on road trips if you get caught in traffic and are gonna be late, or for emergencies... I got it mainly after my dad was rushed in for angioplasty and I wasn't home - didn't know for hours, so thought it would be a good idea to have in case of emergency (my parents are in their 80's now...). The only people that have the number are family and a very few friends - who know its really for emergencies, and to call my house otherwise. If I'm out and about and it rings and its not family, most of the time I'll just let it go to voice mail - I'm busy, I can call back later.
 Hoopsfan68
Msg: 63
Posted: 5/27/2013 12:33:25 PM
Honestly, I can say, I'd be lost without my cell phone. Do I like saying that.....Nope! But, it's my main form of communication when I am not with my kids. Now, on dates, I don't look at my cell phone unless one of my kids is suppose to let me know where she is or something like that. I find it very amusing when I see adults walking and texting at the same time. One of my co-workers admitted he was doing this and bounced right into a pole....so lucky he was not hurt. Hmmm, I wonder if there are detox places for cell phone addiction??? I'm just happy I am able to make the font size bigger on my iPhone5 as once I got in my 40's, everything up close got blurry......WHY IS THAT!?
 VolcanoKing
Msg: 64
Posted: 5/27/2013 9:49:24 PM
I miss the pre celphone days. Nowadays people dont make eye contact, stop and chat or acknowledge you. They just stare at the screen in their hands. We may have connections to those not around us, but have lost the connection to those around us.
 Paderic
Msg: 65
Posted: 5/28/2013 7:00:15 AM
Personally, I love the convenience of the cell phone. I do not even have a land line anymore. However, I am not addicted to the technology. I don't play games on it and when I'm with somoene, I do not take it out of my pocket. When on a date, I put it in "airplane" mode.

I also have the bluetooth connectivity to my car, it's really nice to receive a call that way while driving. I've never had an issue paying attention to the road while engaged in a conversation.
 Maleman999
Msg: 66
Posted: 5/28/2013 7:11:13 AM
What I wonder is how did single parents date before cell phones? In almost every case, single parents will have their cell phones out in plain view, constantly looking at it and ready to answer it with lightning speed if a call comes, in case there's an emergency at home while on a date. Did single parents totally avoid dating and wait until the kids were grown and on their own before there were cell phones, when they considered it safe enough to date?
 statemachine500
Msg: 67
Posted: 5/28/2013 5:17:38 PM
Before cell phones we had two-way radio,usually two metre band for the great outdoors.Repeaters.Hams were the first true international communicators.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >