Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 statemachine500
Msg: 69
It may be stupid, but what did we do with out cell phones?Page 3 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

Very, very frustrating. I remember one time I went out of town for business and got lost. I needed to call someone. Finding a pay phone in San Francisco was insane. When I would be waiting for an important phone call but needed to run an errand. Talk about anxiety and being so unproductive.

This sums it up fairly well.Like going back in time 30-40 years.Not to mention how incredibly dirty the handset on a pay phone might be.
 hounddoug
Msg: 70
It may be stupid, but what did we do with out cell phones?
Posted: 5/31/2013 3:53:46 AM

Without cell phones our society would come to a halt

Which will happen one day when there is an incredible solar flareup that will disrupt satellites and knock out the entire communications grid worldwide.
 Maleman999
Msg: 71
Posted: 5/31/2013 5:57:03 AM

Facebook and POF traffic would nose dive.

You make it sound like it's a bad thing.

terrorists wouldn't be able to be identified without video cell phones.

Sure they would. They are all gathered together in Washington in the White House and the senate and are photographed often.
 tallshyman
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2013 9:30:08 AM
there is no internet at work so I use my phone to read the news, e mail, Facebook, twitter, Netflix and listen to songs.
 hounddoug
Msg: 73
Posted: 5/31/2013 1:18:30 PM

and the sheeple just keep burying their heads in the sand...

Is this before or after they stand in lines for days to buy the next big thing for their electronic virtual reality..?
 statemachine500
Msg: 74
Posted: 5/31/2013 3:36:03 PM

Is this before or after they stand in lines for days to buy the next big thing for their electronic virtual reality..?

You have it wrong,it keeps you connected to reality,and no need to stand in line,your carrier will offer pre-orders.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 75
Posted: 5/31/2013 5:43:10 PM
I'm doing just fine without a cell phone.
 Maleman999
Msg: 76
Posted: 5/31/2013 6:30:19 PM

Msg 87: there is no internet at work so I use my phone to read the news, e mail, Facebook, twitter, Netflix and listen to songs.

You use all of this at work? Do you have time left over to do your job?
 theanswerguy2
Msg: 77
Posted: 5/31/2013 7:43:57 PM

Men wouldn't know what to buy at the grocery store

Cookies, donuts, cakes, and pies, ice cream...............and Fritos.
 cesska
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2013 10:56:45 PM
I have had company over
and what do they do
play with their little phone computers
they might as well stay home
 Maleman999
Msg: 79
Posted: 6/3/2013 12:47:17 PM
^^^Did you text them to tell them to smarten up and practice using vocal chords to form words? This is actually becoming a common scene at restaurants or other places where friends gather. I live a few blocks away from a high school, and I'll see groups of 4 or 5 kids walking together to or from school, and at times, every one of them in the group will be staring at their phone screens. I'm surprised none of them have been run over yet, because there's a busy intersection they have to cross, and they will refuse to look away from their crackphone and cross the street without looking, hoping all traffic will stop for them.
 texasbaby
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2013 11:51:46 AM
I have one, hardly ever use it. I leave it in my purse until the battery goes dead, then I'll remember to put it on the charger again. I don't text on it or ever check the voice mail,, so I suppose I would be fine, just like I was before I had one.
I only have it because my family worries about what I'd do if I had a problem with my junky old car while I was out of town.
Actually, I don't even know what the number is..

tb
 platypus_man
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2013 2:21:00 AM

They were called phone booths, and there was one every couple of blocks, lit up, usually on a corner. Cost a dime to make a short call. And that system worked well until the idiots started using them as urinals and broke the phones. Today, cellphones connect us to more than just other phones. They hold tons of data for reference, pictures, videos, music, and you can connect to the internet virtually anywhere and find out almost anything. Life before them wasn't a pain, but they have made things much simpler. OTOH, the expectation of everything available instantaneously ha made for a very impatient world.
 pfif
Msg: 82
Posted: 8/8/2013 3:44:16 PM
In early June, I bought a $20 time card for the cell phone I've been
using as a stopwatch for the past three years. I bought a nice phone
with a full, QWERTY keyboard on the front panel for $20, at K-Mart,
and thought it was a good enough deal to buy another one the next
day, as a backup—it also takes photographs, and voice memos, and
can send or receive real email, not just SMS 'text' messages, which
I loathe to send or receive.

I use none of that, however. Too fiddly, I think the Brits say. ;)
I can hardly see what's on the screen.

The $20 lasts 3 months' use, but it's something like 15 or 20 cents
per minute (max) to use it (depending on what it's used for). I still
have $19.40 left on that card, and it will run out early September.

I just have it in my pocket for if I get stranded on my bicycle somewhere,
and can't get home easily. It's a one-shot deal: only one person knows
the number, to recognize an inbound call on their Caller ID. Probably
nobody else would answer, except the authorities, if I had to dial an
emergency responder (say, to report a fire or a bad traffic accident
where they needed medical rescue).

There are no pay phones (zero, nada) that I've seen around. Apparently,
that was a business, and it grew unprofitable, so I look at my cell phone
as a replacement for access to the pay phone network that used to be
available (I relied on it when it existed, though not very often—when
it was needed, it was needed).

EDIT:

Also, they sound just awful on the receiving end. They just eat consonants.
It's all vowels, constant loss of basic word recognition—very disruptive
to casual conversation. When people say they dislike talking on the tele–
phone, I wonder which service they use: wired, or cellular (or cordless).
Posted: 8/8/2013 6:10:50 PM
^ I remember how the old analog land-line telephones sounded. The difference is a trip. The sound was wonderful. You could hear every sound and nuance, all sound-elements were proportional, and you could talk over each other and still hear each other. Like you were talking with someone in person. That simple aspect of earlier telephone technology made all of the difference. Younger cell-phone users don't know what they're missing.
 pamioakley
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2013 7:02:09 PM
I resisted getting a cell phone for a very long time. Then, I moved in with a friend as a roommate and it wasn't good for either of us to share a house phone. The next thing I resisted was texting. Then I discovered that my 20-something adult children preferred to text a question, rather than call me. I'm trying very hard to keep up with today's technology because if I don't, I will be left behind. It is our today and our future, fortunately or unfortunately, whichever way you view it.

I remember my parents having a party line when I was a child. Today, I have a cell phone and no land line. Why pay for two? I will not, however, turn around and run home if I forgot my cell phone. I still have that vibe in me that says when you leave home, whoever calls can leave a message. I don't answer calls or texts while driving (that makes me crazy on the road) and I don't have a blue tooth which I think only makes you even more accessible.

That said.. before cell phones, if I went out and if someone called they left a message. Another question could have been "what did we do before answering machines?" Now I pick and choose the calls to answer.
 Casper66
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2013 11:13:12 AM
People got by just fine without cellphones, you had road maps instead of google map or gps, there were phoneboothes everywhere, people just left a message if you were not home when they called and you actually went out and met and talked to people. I like my cellphone for emergencies and for sending a quick text if I'm running late but I still have a landline for long distance calling. There is definitely a down side to cellphones thou, people seem to be losing their awareness of their surroundings, I've lost count how many times drivers have nearly hit me because they were texting on their phones, seen people walk into poles and out into traffic because their faces are in their phones. The funniest/saddest thing is when you see whole families out to dinner and no one is talking or even looking at each other because all of them are their phones, I think it is slowly killing are ability to communicate and interact with people and our environment, I don't see it getting any better thou.
 hounddoug
Msg: 86
Posted: 8/9/2013 12:06:33 PM

Younger cell-phone users don't know what they're missing.

And just like the difference to listening to music on a quality stereo system as opposed to an mp3 player, they don't care.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 87
Posted: 8/9/2013 1:13:36 PM
I did fine without my cellphone...when there were phone booths and I had
a landline.

I also did fine without my computer. But I do enjoy my online banking
and my direct deposit and my debit card which I also lived fine without.

I do like walking with my ipod, carrying around my quality stereo
system on strolls was a bummer.

I also like my EZ pass...I don't mind not stopping for the tolls, but I
used to do it just fine.

I'm sure there are some that lament the loss of caves and the wheel,
but I'm not one of them.
 DragonBits
Msg: 88
Posted: 8/9/2013 1:53:15 PM

I remember how the old analog land-line telephones sounded. The difference is a trip. The sound was wonderful. You could hear every sound and nuance, all sound-elements were proportional, and you could talk over each other and still hear each other. Like you were talking with someone in person. That simple aspect of earlier telephone technology made all of the difference. Younger cell-phone users don't know what they're missing.
In order to allow more long-distance calls to be transmitted, the frequencies transmitted are limited to a bandwidth of about 3,000 hertz. All of the frequencies in your voice below 400 hertz and above 3,400 hertz are eliminated.

It's kind of funny you say that when I used to work for over 20 years in the communications industry and know the limitations on phones.

A lot of nuances are lost, and if you had a high pitched voice you could actually hang up the service. As 2600 HZ is a signaling Frequency.
 pfif
Msg: 89
Posted: 8/16/2013 10:28:53 PM
You couldn't stop the phone from ringing, without taking the phone
off the hook. Which always sent a busy signal to anyone who called.

Pads of paper, pre-printed with things that help someone take a
message, were available at the office supply store, if you could
find such a store in your town. 'May I take a message?' was a
polite way of saying 'I don't want to talk to you, and you weren't
calling me, you were calling someone else in our household and
they aren't here right now, so the best I am willing to do for
you is to write down what you say, and try to make sure the person
you really wanted to speak to receives your message'.

The phone had a moulded cradle built into it, which was kind of
non-obvious; it was there to hold the handset off the hook switch
when the line was open. This was leveraged for the speaker-phone,
which you had to rent from the telco (and service for that cost a
pretty penny).

. . .

During the hurricane^1, and after, I was the only person I knew, out
of five households, who had telephone service. All the others had
only cellular phones or cable-TV delivered telephony (via VOIP:
Voice Over Internet Protocol).

The cable company went down, so it didn't matter if you had your
battery backup for the cable modem; still no-go. The power company
went down, so all the cell towers were on gasoline or diesel fueled
generators, and they did not have a good plan in place, to refuel them
periodically.

I think the towers operated in low-power mode, when they were up
at all, so you had to walk, bike or drive to a hilltop to hit a cell tower
with a weak signal. Several particularly wealthy communities did
not fare any better; there were one or two that had somehow evaded
the pervasive power-company grid, having their own local way of
doing things. The implication was that they'd got a jump on the right
way to think about it, at least insofar as a disaster situation goes.

{New} Jersey took things much worse (from Sandy).
________
^1 No, it was the 'October Surprise' snowstorm that came through
later that year (after Irene). Locally, we did better with Irene (some
neighboring towns didn't, though).

cooldog65
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2013 7:18:15 AM
Somehow we survived life before the cell phone.

When I was married, we got our first cell phone in 1995 when we broke down on the freeway and the closest exit and payphone was about 2 miles away.

I've been pretty much without a landline since 2000. I got a landline again for about 2 years (2003-2005) because I was running over the daytime minutes. Also back then, when I would give my cell number to a lady, they thought I was lying about not having a landline. They assumed I was married or in a relationship. Society has changed in just a decade.

The biggest change I have seen in the last 5 years is more people looking down at their phones as they walk. I prefer to keep my phone in my hip holster when I'm walking.

I haven't owned a computer since I've been divorced (2000). My Samsung Galaxy S3 is filling in nicely these days. I prefer a call over texts for conversation.
 Maleman999
Msg: 91
Posted: 8/18/2013 8:28:35 AM
One thing I miss with life with the old fashion phone system is the phone book. Most of the time, I used it to look up an address. Sure, I can go on the computer to look up an address or phone number if they have a land line, but using a phone book somehow seemed more convenient, even though it probably isn't any easier. At least with a phone book, I don't have to worry about keeping it charged up or worry about how many minutes I have left or a server going down. But with so many people using cell phones now, the phone book is obsolete. But for some strange reason, I still get telephone solicitors calling-even on my cell phone, which only a few people have the number for it. I wonder if there will ever be a time when everyone's cell number will be listed in an e-telephone book.
 Archiver
Msg: 92
Posted: 8/18/2013 7:38:04 PM
I do just fine with a land line. In power outages, my landline still works. I don't have to worry about how many bars appear on my phone; it always works. There is nothing so important that can't wait until I get home and check my voice mail. I don't want my purse or pocket to ring. I don't text or twitter. I don't believe in talking/texting while driving or walking. I was tethered to a phone for 35 years on the job, so it's a relief to have freedom from it. I have voice mail and verbally announcing caller ID on my land line. I don't pick up unless I know the caller. Anyone else can leave a voice mail message or kiss my ass.

I'm not a total Luddite; I have two Macs and an iPad. I have had cell phones, so long ago that they came in a box, were as heavy as bricks, or were flip-phones. I do have a prepaid phone in my car for emergencies, but it's not turned on unless I'm calling out. If I needed a cell phone for business I would use one, but I'm retired and don't NEED one. Maybe someday I'll get an iPhone, but not yet.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 93
Posted: 8/20/2013 2:56:32 PM
It's funny... Cellphones are awesome for texting GPS when driving letting a date know you we're held up at work and on the way and I just blew away my landline and it was my only partial Internet when the storms blew out our service...

But on the flip side many people are add and fully distracted literally addicted and are so busy connecting with the data connected that they have lost the ability to connect with the in their face in person conversation. And nothing can replace touch eye contact and full body movement for the very best ability to fully communicate.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >