Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 137
view profile
History
It may be stupid, but what did we do with out cell phones?Page 6 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

I managed a team of a dozen people a few years ago. Everyone sat within 25-30 feet of each other.
Someone would invariably send a message to our team distribution list: "Hey, does anyone want to go for lunch?"

I have to chuckle at this.
My first e mail was from a boss whose office was 3 feet from mine with a glass wall so he could knock and wave us in if he wanted to.

He was a tiny man with the face of a ferret who would rather e mail than talk to anyone face to face once he learned to e mail..
*** is due by 12 noon. Can anyone take lunch at 1 instead of 12? Things you dont need a record of.
We were in the business of customer relationships being good and built by communicating with them face to face.

He couldn't get up and tell/ask the 3 of us just under him anything and all of us were right within ear shot of each other.

I thought it was ridiculous then and still do.

People are texting people in their own homes ffs.
 forums1
Msg: 138
It may be stupid, but what did we do with out cell phones?
Posted: 10/15/2013 11:03:53 PM
I have a couple of friends that got married, and well... divorced like 7 years later.
At once point I remember talking to her about things and their relationship became... they got home from work, he had his own little "office" room, she had hers, they'd both be playing WoW and talking on WoW from about 20-30 feet apart at most in different rooms. And they'd never talk to each other (or when they did they'd get in an argument about something and retreat back to their own spaces). Any wonder it didn't work?
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2013 3:02:39 AM
Oh yes..cell phones, the technology that assisted humanity to become the true idiots they were destined to be!

What did I do before cell phones?....well for one, when the light turned green, I was actually able to go without some idiot in front of me sending a text message.

I could stand in a checkout line without having to overhear the conversation of some moron that thinks he's a secret service agent.

I could be in a crowd without the surprise of some stupid rap ring tone going off in someones pocket beside me.

I could have dinner with someone without watching the food I paid for get cold while some nit wit talks to her kids and girlfriends.

I could talk to my daughter on our land line without her cell phone interrupting our conversation every two minutes.

I could have more piece and quite throughout my day, because friends couldn't call me from their job, car or the toilet.

I could have a day go by without some goober requesting my cell phone number so they can send me a text message.....forcing me to decline and insult them.

My friends and neighbors could leave my house just once, without having to return an hour later to pick up the cell phone they left behind.

I could have a conversation without dropped calls every 30 seconds followed by the call back and long winded explanation of the obvious.....sometimes six or eight times in a row.

I could go to a family reunion without fifty smart phones in my face for a photo with other family members.

I could go in public without the fear of ripping my pants and a photo of my ass showing up on YouTube.

I guess my love for cell phones and the idiots that abuse them is quite obvious.....if I could make one practical improvement on them.....they would be shaped like a suppository and come with a package of lube. Who invented the cell phone, and where does that S.O.B. live? LOL

I have one, but it gets used as it was originally intended to be used....for emergency use only.....not small talk darting through traffic one handed and distracted. Trust me...nothing you've got to say is important enough to put someone elses life in jeopardy.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 140
Posted: 10/18/2013 8:28:39 AM
Like all kinds of other technology (computers come to mind),
it's not the actual device...it's the morons that operate them.
Same could be said for cars.

Let's all move back to the dark ages.

"I possess in my pocket a device that is capable of accessing
the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at
pictures of cats and to get into arguments with strangers."
 Maleman999
Msg: 141
Posted: 10/18/2013 1:55:38 PM
I wonder what kind of activities the hard core gamer type did before PC's and video games? I don't recall there being any hard core board game fanatics. A game of Monopoly could last a day or two, but I never saw anyone play it all day, every day non-stop, like some people do with video games.
 Archiver
Msg: 142
Posted: 10/18/2013 8:04:02 PM

I wonder what kind of activities the hard core gamer type did before PC's and video games? I don't recall there being any hard core board game fanatics. A game of Monopoly could last a day or two, but I never saw anyone play it all day, every day non-stop, like some people do with video games.

Umm, chess and RPG (Dungeons & Dragons type games) come to mind. The gamers I know have always been obsessive.
 Meeting_At_The_Crossroads
Msg: 143
Posted: 10/18/2013 8:11:47 PM
We "got along". People used to enjoy life and living. Now, if it is not something to do with technology, it is "old fashioned" and not to be handled.

I truly wonder how I am able to get along without a cell phone (much less a "smart" phone), or even a touch tone telephone at home - that's right, I still have and use a rotorary dial telephone (pulse type technology, still supported by the phone company) AND without an answering machine attached (too many telemarkers calling - now when they call and I am home to answer the phone I politely ask that they take my phone number and my name off their list and to never call me again before slamming the phone down).

I find it amazing that one can live without technology. I do feel sorry for the youth of today. It should be a better world for them, but in so many ways, they are worse off than we ever were (thinking about all the things we had to do without as we were growing up).
 funnershine
Msg: 144
Posted: 10/19/2013 3:42:26 PM
I get along just fine without a cell phone..Who needs someone tracking them while they are out enjoying a nice quiet peaceful walk.. I find them so very intrusive..
 Theme_Pack
Msg: 145
Posted: 10/19/2013 4:29:43 PM
One phone 6 sisters....you figure it out.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 146
Posted: 10/21/2013 8:04:10 AM

I truly wonder how I am able to get along without a cell phone (much less a "smart" phone), or even a touch tone telephone at home - that's right, I still have and use a rotorary dial telephone (pulse type technology, still supported by the phone company) AND without an answering machine attached (too many telemarkers calling - now when they call and I am home to answer the phone I politely ask that they take my phone number and my name off their list and to never call me again before slamming the phone down).

Well it's nice you're living without a cellphone, but you're not living without technology.
People overuse and abuse and waste time on computers just as much (if not more) as they do cellphones.

It's not the cellphones or the computers that are problems in society.
It's the people who use them.
 funnershine
Msg: 147
Posted: 10/21/2013 8:54:08 AM

It's not the cellphones or the computers that are problems in society.People overuse and abuse and waste time on computers just as much (if not more) as they do cellphones.

The difference is people chose when to use their computers.. They do not choose when someone calls them.. I look at a phone call like an invitation to answer it or not.. It really depends on what I might be doing at the time and do maintain an answering service..
 browneyesboo
Msg: 148
Posted: 10/21/2013 10:27:16 AM
umm..yeah, but you can choose not to answer your cellphone.
That's why god invented caller ID. I never answer the phone
when the number is blocked or unlisted, or it's someone I just
don't want to talk to.

People choose when to use their computers and their cellphones.
It's the ones that have a problem saying no or logging off that give
technology a bad name.

There is nothing wrong with technology. People didn't like cars
when they first came out either...but somehow they survived.
I have no interest in going back to the before everything days.
I like the new technology. I use it to enhance my life not to impede
it.
 LoneScottishBoy
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2013 12:14:01 PM
We actually had to speak with each other...ocassionally we yelled.
We sent letters. I think I may be one of the last people actually trained to write letters.
We did math the old fashioned way.

We were well versed in telephone manners.
We had to go up to gals and ask them for their phone numbers...and make sure we "just happened" to have a pen and paper....or a napkin.

We had the idea that every person we met was not just a collection of letters on a screen.
We talked, laughed and hugged more.

We talked on rotary phones and if somebody had a number that had a lot of high numbers in it, they got grief for it..;)

Things change...just not always for the better.
 Maleman999
Msg: 150
Posted: 10/21/2013 1:10:35 PM
Sturdiness (or slamability) come to mind. When talking on a land line phone, if you get a telephone solicitor calling or get angry talking to someone, you could slam the receiver on the phone, and you would be almost certain the phone will work the next time you go to use it. Try slamming a cell phone on a table or other hard surface. Chances are it will be broken or won't work properly.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 151
Posted: 10/21/2013 1:20:06 PM
When she was 19, I got a call from my daughter at 1:30 in the morning from the next room. She only called to tell me that she thought I was awesome, better than a mom and dad put together and that she sees me as her inspiration. It made me cry.

Now she is deployed and she doesn't have a cell phone; so I have to rely on live computer time for any interaction with an eight hour time difference and both of us working insane hours.

I can't wait till she gets her cell back, and more especially she gets back home.
 funnershine
Msg: 152
Posted: 10/21/2013 2:05:49 PM

There is nothing wrong with technology. People didn't like cars when they first came out either...but somehow they survived.
I have no interest in going back to the before everything days.
I like the new technology. I use it to enhance my life not to impede it.

I also do not own a car living very central on the island here.. However love to see how things have progressed and am certainly for new technology.. It offers options that we never had before.. Just worries me when I see a person standing by the subway that is lost in their own bubble.. I worry about their safety since there was a gentleman once that seemed right out of his mind and worried he might decide to push them onto the tracks and they would not be aware of the danger...
 rearguard*2
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2013 2:29:36 PM
Before cell phones we had personal privacy, freedom of choice, peace and tranquility.

How I remember having a nice lunch with an interesting companion and being able to spend the time concentrating on her without interruptions, distractions and other nnoying happenings.

Now, you ask for a phone number, and if she gives you her land line, you know immediately she is not all that interested in receiving your call....
 Maleman999
Msg: 154
Posted: 10/21/2013 4:05:47 PM

Now, you ask for a phone number, and if she gives you her land line, you know immediately she is not all that interested in receiving your call....

Huh? I have a land line and a cell, and I give out my land line number to people I want to talk to at some point. With giving a person your land line number, they can google it and it can show your name and address, just like white pages of the phone book did. I have a cheap pay-as-you-go cell that's not on any plan, so the ownership is not registered anywhere. I will give that number. if needed, to someone I'm not too interested to hear back from.
 Maleman999
Msg: 155
Posted: 10/22/2013 9:16:08 AM
Another way cell phones have changed the way we live is wrist watches and clocks are becoming obsolete. Chances are, if you ask someone what time is it, they will look at their cell phone. A lot of people use their cell phone as their alarm clock. I remember when giving someone a wrist watch was considered a nice gift. But now, if you give a young person a wrist watch, chances are they will look at it and say : "What is this?" When you tell then it's a device to tell the time, they would say: "Why would I need that? I've got my phone for that." I guess they would consider a grandfather clock as just a weird looking piece of furniture.
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2013 11:44:32 AM
Yep, I could go on and on about the annoyance of cell phones and the poor manners and stupidity they inspire. People seem to think it's cute to be talking to you about getting together, then ring your door bell with phone in hand in the middle of the conversation ..like surprise...it's me already.....how childish! Then comes the pride of all the things their phones can do like double as a poor quality GPS. My vehicle has a nice hands off built in GPS with a screen large enough to view easily and a super fast refresh rate thats always well ahead of the next turn or able to re-route a change in two seconds. My daughter always wants to use her vehicle and cell phone GPS because the child seat is already in place.....what a POS...think I'd rather use a boyscout compass and draw directions in the sand with a stick. Let's not forget the freakin cell phone photos.....seems everytime I'm around her age group of friends, I'm forced to look at hundreds of snap shots of stupid party gestures showing off their tongue out thumbs up beer bottle pose they seem to think is sooooo cool....it seems even a cat yawning fasinates them. In my day, old people bored the hell out of the younger generation.....today I think it's the reverse...I'd rather watch a tree grow than suffer through what this younger crowd finds so amusing. Oops, I almost forgot...isn't it just lovely to listen to someone put you on speaker phone and piss during your phone conversation?....I think I liked it better when the phone cord wouldn't reach to the toilet. LOL
 ohenryx
Msg: 157
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2013 1:11:26 PM

peppermint_petunias

Met each other at Sonic about dark with the Bose cranked up,top down, talked a bit of trash and got someone to go buy Sloe gin and put it in a Sonic lemonade cup............

Hit the back dirt roads and sang waay to loud to Journey and the Eagles sitting on the hood while someone drove slow then parked by the lake and made a fire and then a crowd usually showed up when word got out by mouth. Usually someone eventually lit up some home grown stuff and a few skinny dipped.

Some would decide to go drag race, others pitched a tent to stay most of the night and we would leave, go get others come back ect.. or to a friends house for more music ( cassettes) and dance in the dirt barefoot eventually having to sneak open the screen door or window ever so gently and pretend we have been home all night.

That was just Fri..Sat was usually more people and from all of the little surrounding towns showing up. Great way to meet others imo when younger..

Sounds like a scene from the movie "Dazed and Confused". (smile)

Actually, I'm 10 years older, so I went through all of this a full decade before you, but it really wasn't much different.

And I suspect for the kids today, it's still pretty damned similar. Except they use cell phones to spread the word instead of "when word got out by mouth".

"sitting on the hood" made me think of these lyrics, one of my favorites:

barefoot girl sitting on the hood of a dodge
drinking warm beer in the soft summer rain
 HippyDippyWeatherman
Msg: 158
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2013 3:21:16 PM

peppermint_petunias

Met each other at Sonic about dark with the Bose cranked up,top down, talked a bit of trash and got someone to go buy Sloe gin and put it in a Sonic lemonade cup............

Hit the back dirt roads and sang waay to loud to Journey and the Eagles sitting on the hood while someone drove slow then parked by the lake and made a fire and then a crowd usually showed up when word got out by mouth. Usually someone eventually lit up some home grown stuff and a few skinny dipped.

Some would decide to go drag race, others pitched a tent to stay most of the night and we would leave, go get others come back ect.. or to a friends house for more music ( cassettes) and dance in the dirt barefoot eventually having to sneak open the screen door or window ever so gently and pretend we have been home all night.

That was just Fri..Sat was usually more people and from all of the little surrounding towns showing up. Great way to meet others imo when younger..

This reminded me of the video from the Kings of Leon song Going Down South. Put me on speed dial.
 RoaminIrish
Msg: 159
Posted: 10/26/2013 5:32:18 PM
From the day I came home with my first baby, the phone had no significance to me. That lasted until the first time I went out without said baby--then the phone was a life-line. But throughout my adult life, even now with cell phones, I only need to know my kids are safe and ok. The phone can ring or beep (message arriving!) and I don't care. I don't answer most of the time. I can call back, always. I connect through email and other websites with the people who matter in my life, and will pick up if they call. Otherwise, meh, it can wait.

But of course, having the power of a computer in your pocket--that's a whole different thing. I know a lot of people whose work lives are made much easier b/c of it. But I don't think of that as "the phone." And I still have trouble with asking people, "Do you have a phone? I was wondering the time. . . "
 completelyhappy
Msg: 160
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2013 4:53:06 PM
As peter paul and mary said once "let them miss you" - I actually heard a morning show where the couples were seated side by side on the sofa texting one another. I thought was sad.

And I'm even on call and don't like to always be connected.

Keep it real.

blessings.
 forumiteinca
Msg: 161
Posted: 12/9/2013 6:28:28 PM
I think that's it... people kept it real. They talked with one another. I could not believe it when I saw a man and a woman standing face to face in a shopping mall, within a foot of each other as though conversing - BUT they each had a cell phone to their ear. All I could think of was I hoped they were not talking to each other via the phone. And if they weren't, what was were they doing? In the past people were polite, had manners, were courteous. With the coming of cell phones so much of that has disappeared. Between texting and talking on cell phones, people today are not very nice to others.

I do not own a cell phone.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >