Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating while unemployed?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Archangel_07
Msg: 26
Dating while unemployed?Page 2 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
2 years ago I was working a for corporate company, got laid off. I put dating on temporary hold until I got a job. The best part was even tho I was unemployed, it still does not matter weather you have a job or not. What matters is the people you are with that care about you.
 carelesswhisper00
Msg: 27
Dating while unemployed?
Posted: 10/9/2010 7:43:09 AM
Due to the current economy situation, one should not be looked down upon because they have found themselves without employment. Many people have lost much more than their jobs as we hear every day in the news. An unemployed person finds themselves at odds with many things, their stress level goes through the roof, the demands of stretching the all mighty dollar to cover their expenses becomes unbearable for some, their confidence suffers a bruising, their sleep patterns can change and many other obstacles are in their way. Sometimes, they just need a friend to listen and understand the difficulties they are facing and shouldn't be judged simply because they are unemployed.
 jamisond
Msg: 28
Dating while unemployed?
Posted: 10/9/2010 9:06:50 AM
I Agree! completely. But it's just hard to tell your first date that your unemployed because there are a lot of judgmental people out their who are fortunate enough to have never found themselve in that situation and may automatically assume the worst of you.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 29
Dating while unemployed?
Posted: 10/9/2010 3:46:31 PM
^^^ I agree. When you're not sure how you're gonna pay the bills and where your next meal's coming from, dating should be the last thing you're worried about. Who cares? It's trivial, and it's for times when your more important stuff is squared away, like having somewhere to live.

We really live in times of entitlement. I'm sure there are homeless people that feel they should be considered for dating as well, when the mindset should be on getting your life in order - the priorities these days are all out of whack.
 RushLuv
Msg: 30
Dating while unemployed?
Posted: 10/9/2010 4:12:57 PM

People don't judge you as much if you are not working but your a full time student.

Even with the current economy, I don't think there really is an excuse for students (especially the 20's crowd) not to have some form of income coming in, regardless of being a student. The fact of the matter is, that there are still jobs out there even though limited, and some of these occupations go beyond fast food.

Since when is it a crime to be unemployed?

It isn't but how many people do you know would date the unemployed? Especially the one's who aren't trying to help themselves.
 jezebellpgh
Msg: 31
Dating while unemployed?
Posted: 10/9/2010 5:39:41 PM
Specific:

I don't go near situations in life that are a sure drama trap. If a dude is employed he is a happier person. I don't need a psycho case. By the way, any man I've dated has been employed because he hasn't been psycho.
 Apollodorus
Msg: 32
Dating while unemployed?
Posted: 10/9/2010 7:40:12 PM
I think dating while unemployed is the best time to date because you will actually meet someone that is there for you and not your money

Being unemployed is the best test of them all in see if the person cares about you.

I also think that the people that are so concerned about money or being employed will also be the same people that will run if you get into some sort of tragedy (car accident..ect.).
 TravelingLight
Msg: 33
Dating while unemployed?
Posted: 10/9/2010 7:44:53 PM
I will date (when unemployed) I have more time, and whoever thinks less of me because I'm jobless is kinda... lame.
 jamisond
Msg: 34
Dating while unemployed?
Posted: 10/9/2010 9:27:19 PM
You could always end up turing down a great relationship because the person happens to be out at work at the moment. Then find out a month later that they finally landed a great job. I would only refuse to date someone who made the choice to be unemployed out of lazyness. Not someone who has just found themselve in a rough situation and will most likely be working again as soon as something comes up.
 StarshipNarrator
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Dating while unemployed?
Posted: 10/9/2010 10:29:53 PM

I think dating while unemployed is the best time to date because you will actually meet someone that is there for you and not your money

Being unemployed is the best test of them all in see if the person cares about you.

I also think that the people that are so concerned about money or being employed will also be the same people that will run if you get into some sort of tragedy (car accident..ect.).

When people place so much emphasis on a person needing to have their own financial stability it can be for several reasons. They could be looking for a relationship that requires money to keep them entertained. Maybe they want to be assured that if they're going into any long-term commitment with them then they have the money to commit should they move in. It could be as simple (arguably pathetic) as wanting someone to have their own money so they can save that little extra money they spend on dates/in a relationship. I can see if you were paying purely from savings but it's silly to me when they're making income to replenish all that. Free dates exist too but I'm going on a tangent there.

I do agree that being unemployed has that benefit of seeing if the person is truly interested in you. However, that doesn't necessarily mean you're home free. A person could come to you seemingly unscathed by how you're unemployed and still have a change of heart. They'll smile in your face and tell you they don't care only to confront you about how you're "lazy" or how it doesn't sit well with them later. That's on them because they're shooting themselves in the foot if they couldn't see that it would bother them eventually.

Tragedy or mishaps are unavoidable so whoever runs from that purely doesn't understand or want to tolerate a temporary problem. Personally at this point in time, I'm quick to toss women who care so much about money. Right now, the only practical or logical reason why it would matter would be if I lived with that person and had to pay bills. So to me, anything outside of that makes them materialistic and pulse-less. Let's not forget how people can be totally unwilling to understand your situation despite how great you are to them.
 Apollodorus
Msg: 36
Dating while unemployed?
Posted: 10/10/2010 5:07:47 AM

Right now, the only practical or logical reason why it would matter would be if I lived with that person and had to pay bills

I think that is still wrong to think like that too, there are other ways to contribute to a relationship. Those bills are your bills and your responsibility not your SO's responsibility and that includes your rent and utilities. You chose to share your life with someone and it does not mean they are financially obligated to pay for anything you have already established or even if you want some new.
 Apollodorus
Msg: 37
Dating while unemployed?
Posted: 10/10/2010 6:36:45 AM
I have a question for the lot of you that are so concerned with money, what if the person you are dating can't work because of a disability? are you just going to dump him/her because of that?,if you are that is very shallow and you really didn't care about him/her.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 38
Dating while unemployed?
Posted: 10/10/2010 6:54:03 AM
The bottom line is - I'd find it odd that a person not working would be that worried about dating, or even out there looking for anything but the next job. I don't care about their money - I only care about mine, but I'd only want to date someone who wasn't interested in dating until they were employed and felt stable about themselves and their lives. Why? Because I feel that when I'm not working, trying to date is kind of a misuse of my time and resources (well, even when I am working I feel that way, but I digress)...and I'd be totally not present when dating because I'd be too preoccupied with the fact that I wasn't working.

Running into someone offhand is one thing, but I'd find it odd that someone who wasn't working (and didn't have a trust fund or means of income) would have the ability mentally to actually consider dating a viable thing to do and actually be out looking to get into it. I'd avoid it.
 RobertKoi
Msg: 39
Dating while unemployed?
Posted: 10/10/2010 7:52:00 AM
Well, not having a job doesn't mean that you have to condemn yourself to a life in solitude and worry about a job 24/7. There's supposed to be a life outside of a workplace, too. I don't think that it's particularly common for somebody who's flat broke and can't even afford a cup of coffee to worry too much about dating people. Combining the two makes perfect sense, i.e., to "worry" about both.
 RushLuv
Msg: 40
Dating while unemployed?
Posted: 10/10/2010 8:36:55 AM

I have a question for the lot of you that are so concerned with money, what if the person you are dating can't work because of a disability? are you just going to dump him/her because of that?,if you are that is very shallow and you really didn't care about him/her.

There is money for the disabled, and some (if not most) are receiving SSI and SSDI though all may not qualify.

As for dating while unemployed, if you feel more comfortable finding work before jumping back into dating, fine. But there was a time when I had no income coming in, and I was still able to date with no issues.

Besides, you should WANT to find work to help yourselves and not because you feel that it would affect your dating life.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 41
Dating while unemployed?
Posted: 10/11/2010 6:33:44 AM

Well, not having a job doesn't mean that you have to condemn yourself to a life in solitude and worry about a job 24/7.

No, I suppose for some it's not as serious as others. I'd tend to gravitate to those who find it serious they're not working.

There's supposed to be a life outside of a workplace, too.

I agree there is, when there is a workplace. When there isn't technically there's nothing BUT life outside work.

I don't think that it's particularly common for somebody who's flat broke and can't even afford a cup of coffee to worry too much about dating people. Combining the two makes perfect sense, i.e., to "worry" about both.

I don't think worrying about dating is productive employed or not as it doesn't do much good when dating is an organic thing, but if you're going to waste time doing it, when out of work, I'd think that should be less of a "worry".
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 42
Dating while unemployed?
Posted: 10/13/2010 2:35:23 PM

By the way, any man I've dated has been employed because he hasn't been psycho.
Lots of psychos here, they're all employed. If employed means "non-psycho," boy, do I have some contradictions for you! Well, I guess that depends on how you define "psycho" doesn't it?
Where does your logic come from?? Holy sh!t!
 lostintheshufle
Msg: 43
Dating while unemployed?
Posted: 11/21/2010 8:07:48 PM
Getting a date is easier than getting a job. Its easier for them to feel better about themselves.
 RobertKoi
Msg: 44
Dating while unemployed?
Posted: 11/26/2010 6:02:42 PM
Work is slavery and a waste of time and energy. Unemployed, stupid, ugly, beautiful or not, get out there and date as much as you like. Pleasure and joy comes before anything else.
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 45
Dating while unemployed?
Posted: 11/26/2010 6:08:28 PM

By the way, any man I've dated has been employed because he hasn't been psycho.

Employed psychos:

Son of Sam
Unibomber
 Vannili
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Dating while unemployed?
Posted: 11/26/2010 8:53:36 PM
Work is slavery and a waste of time and energy. Unemployed , stupid, ugly, beautiful or not,get out there and date as much as you like.Pleasure and joy come before anything else.

I've been doing this for a while with Fabio my gorgeous jobless date (I'm jobless too). We run out of restaurants that we 1 ,2 in the whole state of Nevada, 1,2 means that if we are nearly finish of our meals 1 has to leave like going to the restroom then escape to the nearest exit and the next
person will do the same..

Now I and Fabio just sit in the park and share a packet of stale crackers and one day old cup of coffee ...... Now I believe the bible text >You can not live by bread alone,you need to buy butter for the bread ,and starbuck. And you can not go out to have a date with out MONEY...
 tie_me_up81
Msg: 47
Dating while unemployed?
Posted: 11/26/2010 9:26:50 PM
If men find unemployed women more acceptable than women find unemployed men acceptable, this is proof that men are the less shallow gender in this aspect. To say a man is wrong for some evil cause in this matter is highly laughable
 S.O.U.L
Msg: 48
Dating while unemployed?
Posted: 11/27/2010 12:23:08 AM

If men find unemployed women more acceptable than women find unemployed men acceptable, this is proof that men are the less shallow gender in this aspect.

Accepting a woman's who unemployed is a CHOICE that many men make. I hold women to the same standards that I'm expected to meet. I have a job, car, and place of my own...I expect the very same from the women I date. As long as I'm an able bodied man I would never let a woman carry me. Unless a woman is is my wife and is tending to my child I would never carry a woman.
 Vannili
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Dating while unemployed?
Posted: 11/27/2010 7:39:30 AM
I wondered if anyone else has put dating on hold because they were unemployed?

I did not go on a date or birthday/babtismal/wedding parties and hanging out with friends.... I can not afford to render my share of expenses and gifts. As for dating, there is really no free ride and free lunch, I will not put myself on the spot, that I am broked and powerless that the only thing I have is that V below my waist.. An unemployed person gets pity and few bucks from a man/friends but that easily gets old and soon they'll be avoiding that unemployed person, it is ironic, but that is reality..

Can't say I have. I don't tend to see a relationship between matter of the heart & a wallet.
Well, how is your" relationship" with YOURSELF without a job ? Your necessity needs are not FREEBIE.. How are you faring without very much in your wallet to socialized with someone for LTR? My former post Msg.82 is a joke for laughs, but it makes sense,that no 2 person can go out for goodtime (date) with out spending money...
 eastbelle
Msg: 50
Dating while unemployed?
Posted: 11/27/2010 8:11:17 AM

Aside from all that I wondered if anyone else has put dating on hold because they were unemployed?

I wouldn't aggressively seek out a date ( such as actively looking on a dating site ). But if an attractive man approached me at a bar or a party, I wouldn't turn him down simply because I was unemployed. I would explain my situation and hope that he accepts it.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating while unemployed?