Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 zangie
Msg: 489
view profile
History
Smokers: Would you quit smoking for your dreamboat?Page 22 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)

the goal is to have her around for a long time (in good health, not on a ventilator)

Life is a risk..many things can kill you..including other bad habits (uh...drinking alcohol, for instance)...life style choices are life style choices...whether something is bad for me or not...it's my problem, not yours..as long as I'm not hurting you (which I don't smoke around people who don't like it)..not your concern...I don't preach at people who have habits I find unpleasant...and as people have pointed out...the PC police will pretty soon have everyone looking and behaving exactly the same..in all the correct ways...sounds kind of Stepford Wives to me?

Plus...hereditary issues matter...some people get lung cancer and never smoke or are exposed to it...some people smoke all their lives ( my grandmother is 87..been smoking since she was 16..no lung problems..) and never get it..and as far as second hand smoke being harmful? I've read the literature on both sides..no one has convinced me of either unequivocally...they can't even "prove" that smoking "causes" lung cancer..they can only prove that it isn't good for your lungs...and as far as dangerous smoke...what about smog? car emissions? factory waste?...seems those are far more pervasive and stronger?

Life is a risk....people should be allowed to choose theirs...
 miraclgal
Msg: 491
Smokers: Would you quit smoking for your dreamboat?
Posted: 1/10/2008 7:21:00 PM
i have and I will.....
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 492
Posted: 1/11/2008 4:03:28 AM
Someone said I should keep my opinion to myself lmao go figure. I did not say all I said most. Smokers tend to be selfish. I see it everyday with these smokers using the street as an ashtray when they drive, thus causing a fire hazard. For the most part smokers do nothing to enhance their image. Thus the title- my opinion fits in. I see smokers NOT quitting for their lovers , themselves and perhaps most importantly their children. Yes I have seen women smoking holding newborns . Babies that have no choice and must inhale that putrid poison. I know there are smokers that do the right thing but they are few. My real question should be " WITH ALL THE DANGER OUT THERE , WHY ARE PEOPLE UNINTELLIGENT AND ALLOW THEMSELVES TO BE ADDICTED TO THAT??" .... especially if you are younger.
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 495
Posted: 1/12/2008 2:27:52 AM
To Loz = Yes I would NOT change , I am in great shape that I work hard to be , why would I start smoking ???????
 Barefootdaddy
Msg: 497
Posted: 1/20/2008 3:21:39 PM
Hi all

I'm just joining this thread because I am right now working hard to quit smoking. I watched my father and grandfather die horrible deaths from emphysema and I don't want my children to watch me go that way. There are many other reasons, but in answer to the original question, yes, I would give up smoking for my "dreamboat"

Dave
 tam879
Msg: 502
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2008 6:18:20 PM
I don`t smoke but I don`t think I want to date a smoker. I have seen many nice looking women on POF and they smoke occasionally or often and that to me makes the difference of date yes or no. I use to smoke in the military but now aftern 40 years of being out I haven`t gone with someone who smoked. Now there`s a woman at work who smokes and I for the life of me want to date her. She`s flirtatious and I still can`t come around to ask her out. Am I shallow?
 paulisdareason
Msg: 505
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2008 8:58:47 PM
WHAT, i cant even quit for myself? anything worth doing should be because thats what you feel not someone else
 Ron9
Msg: 518
Posted: 9/27/2008 8:50:10 PM
"I've probably answered this already, but yes, I would quit for my dreamboat. I'm trying to quit on my own already, but a non-smoking partner would be an added impetus."

What she said.
 Ravenwood
Msg: 524
Posted: 9/28/2008 1:26:18 PM
No if i am willing to accept them as is they have to accept me as is; changing someone isn't going to work. I will quit when i damn well ready and not before hand, trying to break a habit to be with someone new is really stupid....
 SgrsShak
Msg: 529
Posted: 9/28/2008 8:54:51 PM

Ruling a person out because they smoke or don't smoke is, IMHO, an incredibly myopic mindset and reflects a kind of disposition of a spoiled child. "Play in my sandbox my way..or else

niko, you have set the measures of a true relationship.(~~~ or to bail out of one``` )All the characters are here. The Good & bad,the obligations,the bonding that's so important~ Thank You! We should all print this and put it on our refrigerator's! ( no pun intended!)
Key*s
 phishkev
Msg: 535
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2008 10:07:37 AM
I'd worry more for their health-I don't smoke but I could deal with a smoker-as long as you don't have a five pack a day habit, blow it in my face and say I can't have a beer!! If it's that important, you can give up anything...
 screenangel
Msg: 537
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2008 3:07:44 PM
I quit smoking for ME!!
 zangie
Msg: 540
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2008 9:04:54 PM
I quit cold turkey once for three years...I know if I wanted to quit, I could...

But...it would have to be because I wanted to..I might be motivated to want to for a special man...but, I know from experience that anytime someone demands or requests a behavior change...it's not going to work..I have to want to for my own reasons..otherwise the motivation isn't strong enough...and resentment kicks in...

Since, hard as it is to believe, I like smoking ( how terribly un-PC of me...lol), and also the fact that the last time I quit...I gained a lot of weight ( which I have now taken off...but, more to go)...I'd rather roll the dice on possible health side effects, than put weight back on after all this hard work to lose it..( I am also hoping on genetic help...my grandmother is 88...she has smoked since she was 16...and has no lung problems...ditto my mom)...maybe some day, if the weight gets stabilized..and I stop enjoying it...I might again...
 cfb62
Msg: 554
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2008 5:21:54 PM
Absolutely I would quit!
 Grumpy Barbie
Msg: 559
Posted: 10/13/2008 12:33:50 AM
Negative, I'd quit for myself and no one else.
 Jim in NB
Msg: 561
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2008 2:01:59 AM
No I would not quit, nor did I quit for the women I have dated. I have since quit on my own - smoked for 30 years and had got up to two packs a day. It was my own personal decision for my own life. If I was to date a smoker I am sure I would not put pressure on them to quit smoking. Maybe ask them to smoke outside (I did that for the last four years I smoked) but it would be their decision to quit. Smoking is a very difficult addiction to over come.
 Marmite baby
Msg: 566
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2008 4:51:48 AM
I would smoke in the garden, or possibly give up. I don't smoke around non smokers anyway.
 SgrsShak
Msg: 574
Posted: 11/11/2008 7:45:39 PM
Hmmmm....haven't read through all these comments, but:
I wonder what my dreamboat wouldn't do for me? Would he not take one drink of alcohol ever ever again? Not tote on that ganja anymore even if just once in a while? Would he not drink so much java every damn day? Would he not work so much because he loves his job?
Habitual dependants........addictions... tsk,tsk. Aren't we all guilty of having a crutch or a closet somewhere in our lives
 magnusfl
Msg: 576
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2008 2:30:18 PM
A smoker can only quit for Him /her self any one telling other wise is just BS However a smoker choice can be modified by influences
But if you demand the person quitting in a relationship will only cause problems later

Non smoker here who will never date another smoker
 aliveone1
Msg: 582
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2008 11:30:59 AM
Absolutely NOT!

It's been proven that nicotine addiction is in the same class as heroin addiction.
How many recovered heroin addicts do you know? The only ones that I know are dead.

It's a strong enough addiction that it really has to come from within if you're going to attempt to fight it. I think that the same is true for all addictions. You should never go into a relationship thinking that you are going to change someone's addictive behavior. In fact, that's a good way to lose someone. If given an ultimatum, most addicts will just feel strong resentment towards you. You will never win out over the substance!

I even poke fun at this idea in my profile:

" Potential friends, be advised that my cigarrettes will always come before our friendship."

A lot of people hate me for saying that. It's sad, but, oh so true!

It's not that I don't care about you, it's just that my dopamine and serotonin receptors don't scream in agony when YOU walk out of the room.
 WalkingInLondon
Msg: 598
Posted: 7/25/2009 9:59:13 AM
Did it. My boyfriend is a non-smoker, and to be honest I was ready to quit anyway, so he gave me the extra incentive to go ahead and quit. Not once did he ask me to quit, never did I feel pressured to stop, he accepted me as I was, smoke and all.
But he didn't smoke and I didn't feel comfortable or polite smoking around him. After a long weekend away together, I realized I hadn't smoked in 5 days. So I just didn't smoke from then on.
I still crave one every once in a while, especially during PMS, and I'll sneak a puff when that happens, but other than that, I like not smoking. My clothes and hair smell better, and so does my home. I credit my love for him with getting me to stop.
Thanks honey!
Beth
 cowtrucker
Msg: 603
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2009 4:47:29 PM
I don't date smokers, occasional, or regular. If a guy wanted to date me, he would have to be a non-smoker. Although I'd never ASK or DEMAND him to quit. Quitting works the best if its the desire of the smoker.

I used to chew tobacco, yea, gross, I know, not much different than sucking on a cigarette, but decided to quit a while back. There was a guy I was interested in, and I hid the habit from him for years. Some of our mutual friends knew, and some people in his family knew. I'm sure he did as well, but he never said anything about it. Not one word, ever.

Although we don't date now, and its been years, I still did use my feelings for him to motivate my quitting. I don't feel it was wrong, or that I quit for bad reasons. And now later on, I am thankful for not using tobacco, no matter what the reason is.

So my theory on quitting for a person you care about? Sometimes in a situation like that, your partner can give you strength and inspiration, especially when you need it the most!

As far as the man of my dreams being a regular smoker? The man IN my dreams does NOT smoke... So therefore, I won't have to worry about it. LOL

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 RKEGoldenGirl
Msg: 609
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2009 10:53:50 PM
Actually I have..... My then boyfriend (years ago), told me he wouldn't marry me unless I quit smoking! I was more upset at the ultimatum, than the the act itself... So, I was stubborn for a little while, then quit. We got engaged, got married, have 2 great kids and have been divorced now for 9 years! So, yeah, if it was that important I probably would!
 heartseekertrue
Msg: 614
When they leave (or isnt looking) you will smoke again
Posted: 7/27/2009 6:26:12 AM
Hell yes. I met someone important to me.

ME

So i quit, 20 years ago. FOR ME.
 Gemi4Life
Msg: 625
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2009 7:56:35 PM
Yes and no. I will stop smoking for myself - not for anyone else. As a matter of fact, I am trying to quit right this minute. I have already started taking Chantix (today was my first day) and my goal is to be a non-smoker in about 1 week! I'm sure it's going to be hell and I will prolly become the biggest banshee ever, lol

I needed my own reasons and goals to go through with it and in the end, I guess it will benefit all my friends who are ALL non-smokers!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >