Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Did you think life would be like this at 50?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WaywardSeeker
Msg: 26
Did you think life would be like this at 50?Page 2 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Cannot remember that far back. Next week it is 65 for me, and never thought about what I would think about it. When I was 20 I read a story called "Logan's Run" about a place where you lived to be 30 and died. I never expected to live past 25 at the time, but here I am with teenage sons and all. It is what it is. Each day I am here is a wonder.
 Temptation50
Msg: 27
Did you think life would be like this at 50?
Posted: 10/8/2007 11:50:06 PM
I think we're a new generation of 50 plus'rs.....
There's nothing stopping me from roller blading or climbing trees,riding bikes or racing cars ........nothing.
It is trite but true.......age is just a number,staying active is good for the soul and the aging process.......I love my age.
I just wish I knew then what I know now.....
 akblondee
Msg: 28
Posted: 10/9/2007 12:28:28 PM
I don't think I ever thought about being 50. I do remember when my dad died, I was 25, he was 63 and I thought he was so old. Now, at 53...he wasn't SO old!
 WaywardSeeker
Msg: 29
Posted: 10/9/2007 12:35:33 PM
Previous poster makes a good point in passing. Any smart fella can figure out what to say and what not to say, and so can you ladies. In fact, when I send email there are little lists at the bottom to remind me :puke: ! This lad just offers up what he thinks he is, but has already heard disbelief from more than one lassie. Well of course it is hard to tell the truth when I don't even want to believe it myself!

On the subject at hand, I do believe I never dreamed I would still be wondering what to say next to a lassie at this ripe old age, but that subject has always been endlessly interesting. Every woman I have ever known has surprised me often, for good or ill.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/9/2007 6:22:17 PM
Oops! Double post.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/9/2007 6:24:30 PM
I knew it was going to be odd: I remember my mother at 35 saying she didn't feel old, that it always surprised her to see that image in the mirror. She didn't look old to me; she just looked like my mother.

As a small, I thought I could do pretty much anything I wanted -- I just couldn't because they wouldn't *let* me (like drive a car, for instance). In my teens, I expected to be a grandmother to a great many grandbabies (my mom had 42 when she died). In my 30's, I imagined an old age full of old lovers, visiting a couple of weekends a year ( say 26 X 2 +52: yep, that's covered, lol!), which hasn't happened, either. A year and a half ago, it looked pretty good for ending up in Ireland. . . . I could finish here, hauling my water in my nineties (I've had clients that did just that) or cooking conch stew in Bermuda

I have NO desire to hang onto what's past, or to keep from growing older (going forward). But I still don't have a clue as to what that's going to look like.

Thank goodness. . . .

JANUARY10950
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/10/2007 9:47:17 AM
Geez in my case I started saying the exact same things to my kids that I never wanted to hear my mom say to me and I ignored her too!!!! Like the saying goes what goes around!!!But life is still great for me even in my fiftys!!!
 AgelessWonder
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/10/2007 8:10:56 PM
I can barely remember my 50s... this getting old has its advantages.

To answer the question, no I didn't think years ago that at age 57 I would be starting over. But, hey, it's all good!
 karenrmj
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/26/2007 7:04:26 PM
I thought I'd be married and have " the picket fence, kids , dog, etc"

That guy up there sure has some different ideas about how we are to live our lives..

But I have to admit I look pretty good for my age.. Good genes I guess..
 lindyb
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/29/2007 6:53:36 AM
I wasn't sure I would make it this far. I had a great-grandfather die at 49, a grandmother at 56 and my dad at 58. There is no longevity gene in my family. But here I am at 58, on my own, and with a list of things I want to do:
skydiving
Tai Kwan Do (looking into it)
Driving to the Black Hills
Build a new patio (still figuring out how)
Hold my first great-grandchild
Write a murder mystery (doing it)

As long as I'm able, I'm going for everything I can.
lindyb
 frankinpip
Msg: 36
Posted: 11/18/2007 12:05:42 PM
you do look very good for your age.
 oncelucid
Msg: 37
Posted: 11/18/2007 12:15:39 PM
I never thought about it until I was like 45! And then it didn't bother me at all. I got "bothered" by the fact that I turned 50 and my spouse died 3 weeks before that. So now on reflection and looking forward I wonder NOW what my life is to be like. Of course at 49 and the planning we (spouse & I) had done to begin thinking of "just us, again" (kids gone, etc) was well under way. Guess what? Planning went down the drain. Now I plan on a smaller scale and shorter term mostly.
So NO! I didn't think life would be like this at 52. But I'm still going strong and I have HOPE that each day is just as fresh as today was when I woke up!
 crayonzz
Msg: 38
Posted: 11/18/2007 4:29:30 PM
The biggest motorcycle club in the world is Ulysses.

Junior membership is 45 Full membership is 50. Junior members have to help senior members with arthuritis on and off thier bikes.
 topjack
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/18/2007 4:51:00 PM
^^^ Technically, you can. The only thing stopping you, is you.

I've traveled many places on my own. I've said in other threads, it seems women are more reluctant to do so than we are. Curious as to why that is.

Last week I took a quick trip to AZ with some buddies and rode through on motorcycle. We stayed one night in Holbrook, AZ. While there, ran into a group of retired women at a restaurant. Got to talking with them. Turns out, they were all either widowed or divorced and had decided they didn't want to just sit around anymore. They all had places they wanted to see, so they are doing just that. Pooled together and purchased a large RV. Traveling all over as a group. They were a blast to hang out with, had a million stories to tell and already had tour plans well into next year. Cheers to them!
 MC chick
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2007 4:51:13 PM
Age is just a number. I don't feel 50 and don't feel I even look close to 50. I act like a teenager sometimes and enjoy cutting up. I do have an urgency to find a companion since I've been divorced 15 years plus but come what may I have friends and family that fulfill me for the most part. I have had some wonderful relationships with a few men and then some not so wonderful ones. I would like to find my best friend but if not I guess I can handle it. I don't watch tv and am thinking about going to college for the first time. I ride horses and own a motorcycle. Age is just a number.
 Dreamweaver53
Msg: 41
Posted: 11/18/2007 8:37:31 PM
My favourite saying is "Time only exists because of man's need to measure it." If we did not measure time no one would know how old they were. I was born in 1953 but i only admit to being 30. Thirty is fun.
 topjack
Msg: 42
Posted: 11/18/2007 8:45:37 PM
^^ Why only admit to being thirty?

How about admitting to your real age, and redefine what people think of it?
 Mike72801
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2007 3:05:13 AM
This is the best time of my life.
 topjack
Msg: 44
Posted: 11/19/2007 3:00:54 PM

I would like to ooh and aah over the wonders of the world while holding hands with my love and having him hold me and kissing and all that stuff..........

Well, so would I; mushy or not. And honestly, I'm not a mushy guy. lol

The realism of the situation however, is that life will not wait for you to find your love. So while you're putting those things on hold, life is continuing and one never knows what will happen in the next moment.

Personally, I'm not willing to press the pause button on my life to wait for a love that may or may not ever come and risk miss experiencing those things completely.
 moraima
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2007 3:42:50 PM
"I don't know any women who would do that........"

Wow! A statement that has almost left me speechless.

Women don't want to travel alone. Women don't take off with same sex friends to do things?

Oh yes, we do. The day I can't walk anymore, will be the day I stop, and get a wheelchair so I can keep on doing all the things I that I want to do whether I am alone or not.

If I had decided to wait for my next love to show up after my late husband died, I think there is a strong possiblity I would be dead by now...........dead in spirit anyway.

I never thought about about life would be like at 50 (or any other age) I just keep being excited about the present and the future.
 fancynanci
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2007 3:56:15 PM
I never in my wildest dreams imagined being 52 could be so wonderful!!!!!!!
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 47
Posted: 11/20/2007 7:45:32 PM
...Hmmm don't think so. I imagined myself still happily married to the perfect husband, with perfect children, and a perfect home....well 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

...maeflowers
 backforward
Msg: 48
Posted: 11/21/2007 1:10:18 PM
I am 50...but still think and behave like 30. 20 years passed...but that did not affect me.

I keep in shape and eat right and still have my sense of humor....

I am not ready to go to the old folks home yet.....or hang out at the pier and just sit there all day fishing.

The had a party for me since I turned 50...they call it the BIG FIVE OHH.

Please..some 40 years look and act way older than me. . The have big beer bellys..and if they tried to walk up a flight of stairs ...they would run out of breath.
 KVASS
Msg: 49
Posted: 8/20/2009 5:38:10 PM
Okay, so I am very ole school. I , after tHe age of 50, am finding myelf enjoying it. I never thought I would still be this active. Life is great and I intend to live it to the fullest. My hat is off to all the Boomers out there who are still taking It for all it is worth!
 Dancing_4_You
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2009 12:41:13 AM
i fost/adopted three teens at 50. i had no time to think. last three years, who woulda thought. i tell my kids and i've said this before on pof: go to college, get a good job, raise your families and then you will have plenty of time to date and meet the right mate when you reach 60! they think i am hilarious. well, i tend to agree.

if you are having a hard time at fifty, don't sweat it. you have a good ten years to get into the swing of things!

namaste.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Did you think life would be like this at 50?