Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Did you think life would be like this at 50?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FriendlyFreeSpirit
Msg: 100
Did you think life would be like this at 50?Page 6 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
All I really miss is my flying Jetson's car

Yeah, what happened there? I always wanted one - it looked like such a speedy and fun way to travel.
I just googled: The Jetsons were set in 2062 - we missed out by that much.
OT: I thought I'd be famous by 50. I'd practiced my acceptance speech for winning an Oscar for Original Screenplay about 1000 times (avoiding the Sally Fields/Gwyneth Paltrow embarrassments). I'd be a famous writer and life would be sweet.
That AND the Jetson's car - I was gypped, I tells ya.
 WackMC
Msg: 101
Did you think life would be like this at 50?
Posted: 11/22/2009 12:47:11 AM
Thanks to Second Life, I built my own Lost in Space robot and Robot the Robot. I use them in the virtual world. No one can dance in a virtual world like a robot!
 rearguard*2
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2009 5:05:02 AM
You only have to imagine the scene of a traffic jam at rush hour in a major, or even minor urban environment involving flying cars to realize that they would be pretty much disasters. Impatient parents doing the daycare dash would be crashing into each other over your head and falling onto your own vehicle which would accrete more victims flying below you as you plunged downwards resulting in a horrendous smoldering mess once you all hit the ground.

Robots to cook, clean, change the diapers and watch the kids while they do their homework, however, would have been a great addition to life!
 Juste moi Danielle
Msg: 103
Posted: 11/22/2009 6:15:20 AM
I never thought that one day, having a computer would be like having my very own window with a view of the entire world. I seriously love it and there's not a day that goes by that I don't think how lucky I am for having been given this opportunity!
 Jim in NB
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2009 3:29:35 PM
I don't ever recall thinking about what life would be at fifty. But now that is here it is wonderful. Sure I am not in a permanent relationship, but the adventure of life is continuing to unfold and it feels great. For the most part it is a continous sense of contentment with those moments and days of shear happiness. Had one of those completely unexpected last Saturday. Life can be wonderful if you let it! Appreciate the moment, who you are, your family and friends, and life is wonderful regardless of what age you are at!
 BBQ Spider
Msg: 105
Posted: 12/4/2009 9:34:38 AM
At 15 I thought 50 was so old & I was sure I'd never live so long, because I was so completely unable to imagine that happening.

At 50 -- I, well, still think it's old. I'm just thankful to have made it this far, in better condition than I deserve, with more to live for than I could have imagined.
 CynthiaMw
Msg: 106
Posted: 12/9/2009 11:30:00 PM
I didn't really think about 50s. That was such an in-between decade, between my parents (40s) and grandparents (60s). If I had I would probably think I'm not as far along financially as I would have imagined. But, since I gave up trying to believe the religion my family followed and found my own faith, life has been much more focused and peaceful. That's something I could never have imagined back in my teens and early 20s while still under my family's, umm, 'guidance'.

OTOH, I'm not quite 50 yet so what the h3ll do I know?
 NoVaBuckeye
Msg: 107
Posted: 12/12/2009 9:54:07 AM
I thought by now that life would be much like a Hallmark Made for TV movie. I'd be the fluffy loving grandma that everyone would come home to during the holidays, with a quirky somewhat grumpy husband, and a house stuffed with memories of my kids growing up.

Boy, was I full of crap! HA hahahah!
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2009 7:56:35 PM
Not quite 50 yet either but its coming up fast.

Yes I'm disappointed about the flying car- and the 20 hour work week too- I remember in 1970 we were all going to work less and enjoy our lives- pppfft. Freedom 55 has become 75.

In my 20's 30's and even early 40's - I thought I would meet that special someone and have a friend , lover and companion for all of this journey. I never pictured myself on a computer trying to make that connection in such a shopping like manner- real life ,fate, and divine intervention would provide.

But I guess - in other ways- life has given me a lot- good health , good job and hey I'm still here so- can't complain too much. But why is it so hard to find someone whom I'm into and they're into me as well. That's the frustrating part.

But maybe it's just around the next turn ,waiting to happen- maybe looking at it from 2009- the next decade will be that time.
 NoVaBuckeye
Msg: 109
Posted: 12/12/2009 8:04:14 PM
Um..yeah... where's my freakin' rocket pack?!!!!????

And..we do seem to be working a heck of a lot more than we did in the '70s. The computer was supposed to give us more free time....
 sequoyah61
Msg: 110
Posted: 12/13/2009 9:26:09 AM
I never thought I'd live past my 20's.......boy, was I ever wrong!

So, here I am at 62.....never been 62 before so I honestly don't know how to act.

Sequoyah
 damassteel
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2009 9:28:15 AM
What happened to me??? At 50 I was still in the best possible shape; Salsa dancing, competitive kick boxing, a constitution like steel. I never thought about 50 as lot of others seemed to. I t never seemed old to me. At 60, I've slowed down a bit, but still quite active. What I mean by that; I'm only going out 3 nights a week dancing instead of the 6 nights I was doing a year and a half ago.
At 15 I was planning to be 50. From that time on I began taking exercise, diet and fitness VERY seriously. It turned into a life long habit that has made me up until recently, just laugh at aging. I'm still in great shape, but I do feel the inexorable crush of time upon me. My life is still rich and rewarding. As an artist I'm at my all time peak with much more still left to say. I'll easily run out of time before I run out of ideas. I've a great woman in my life. I laugh all the time to myself about our age difference. I never thought I'd see the time when a 45 year old woman would be a much younger woman to me!! But at 50...I was just a kid.
People lose the stereotypes you carry about aging, they're useless. As you think it so shall it be, If you believe in your mind after 50 will be a time of diminished vitality, and declining possibilities, well that's what it will be. You create the quality of your life in your minds eye. If you think 50 is old, then you'll be old at 50.
 ninjaeleven
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2009 9:46:49 PM
Gee, could I have predicted the lady I married would be a C ? and steal $, kids, and if she could have my life?

No, I had no idea I'd be in the position I am in now.

If I would have written out 100 different scenarios I could have NEVER seen this one. If I listend to a guy tell me a story like mine 20 years ago I would have satthere and thought poor **stard, thank god I am married to S**** it won't ever happen to me.

No, you never know what is in the other person's head. And that's why no matter what, I will never marry again without a pre-nup. And all it would have to say is that a divorce would be 50-50 no matter who contributed what, we split it.

May the commissioner who F'd me die a horrible death.

not that i'm bitter :)
 damassteel
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2009 7:19:04 AM
^^^^^^^ See? that's the stuff. I get asked all the time what "secret" I use to stay youthful. I tell people that there is no such thing. I just do the things we all already know work; It's just that they won't do them(too distasteful for any number of reasons). Those that understand know how simple it truly is. No mystery at all.
 pitbull pete
Msg: 114
Posted: 12/14/2009 7:38:05 AM
The OP is probably long gone but no I did not think life would be like this at ,well for me I'll push it up a bit and say 60. I feel better and look better than anytime before but I do pay the price as anyone else in great shape knows. I have not slowed down one bit but at 157 lbs. average weight that does help.
 kari135
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2009 10:11:48 AM
Sequoyah said:

I never thought I'd live past my 20's.......boy, was I ever wrong!

So, here I am at 62.....never been 62 before so I honestly don't know how to act.

I can so relate to this! Though now I'm 63, not 62. Even your profile reads a lot like mine would, if I'd written it from a different POV.

Sooner or later we all die, and it won't matter how well we've taken care of ourselves. Mostly I do what's right, but once I hit the casket I'd rather look like 40 miles of bad road with every step along it fun, rather than a pretty or well-preserved corpse. So while I do take care of myself to some degree, I also indulge myself when I can, and never feel guilty about it.
 damassteel
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2009 12:09:49 PM
Well Thorb,
that's just it, some of us did think about 50 long before we arrived there. Which doesn't mean I wasn't busy living my life in the present, it just means I was living as though there would be a future I would become a part of. I also had an idea as to how I would prefer to look and feel when I got there. I was not content to allow time and gravity to do whatever and simply hope for the best when 50 arrives. Now I'm 60 and life is all of the things I'd hoped it would be...just great!
I certainly had my share of disappointments and tragedies, we all do, after all there is so much in this life and world we can't control. Why not give fair attention to things in our lives we do have some power over?
I have found that those things do matter and not just a little.
 Kayteydid
Msg: 117
Posted: 12/17/2009 5:02:16 PM
noooooooooo
I thot I'd have a zillion grandkids...an old guy cuddled up
next to me....not working as in retired...

but life is just different....than I'd planned and some times I mourn
that particular dream's timing ..in that I still believe in it
...I could never imagine being fifty..alone,but today I am
I REFUSE TO settle.I ended a longtime dating relationship that once we talked
it out ..seemed headed for marraige
...I was not in love and rather be alone than with someone acceptable to prevent being alone ...I'm a writer and musician and actively work in my field
so there's still lots of room to grow and your artistic career does not end with
your "youth"...

I'm told I do not look ANYTHING like 50 ...and that's
awesome..but I am grateful for the wisdom one attains at
being half a century young..you know yourself better and put up with so much less *&^@

I, too,plan being on 100 and still juicy... hopefully married
and not with an OLD guy,either..or robbing the cradle ..none of that cougar crap but someone my age.... who is also a youthful nifty-fifty or seasoned sexy sixty
is it leap year in 2010?
hah!

I sure am looking!
Msg: 118
Posted: 12/17/2009 6:29:37 PM
The OP for this forum may be long gone but the string is definitely timeless. In my 20's I had two small children and my planning was for their lives of kindergarten, high school graduations, then college graduations. My husband and I planned for them to move on to their own lives and we would enjoy the next stage of life. Our careers were finally paying off from the years of struggle and continuing education to keep up with technology and staying competitive in a highly competitive world. But we still dreamed. He and I planned our trips and intertwined our dreams as one. We planned for our 50's and beyond. Travel USA and see all the monuments, the Grand Canyon! Golden Gate Bridge! Travel Africa! Eastern Europe! Alaska! Hawaii! Australia! Russia! Brazil !!!!! Then out of the blue our lives went ballistic haywire and I never in my wildest imaginations thought I would be single in my 50's. Once in a blue moon I feel some anger at the way things turned out. He should be here enjoying what we worked so hard for. Mostly though I'm happy and well adjusted. It took me awhile but I just had to take the old dreams and convert them to my new dreams. Man o man are they big dreams. I'm still have my travel dream book and mark each one off as I go along. Dreams are the movement into the future.
 olebluize
Msg: 119
Posted: 12/17/2009 6:44:26 PM
From the time I was 30 I planned for an early retirement. I didn't think I would be doing it alone but I did acccomplish it. I haven't dated for over 2 years and I'm happier now than I've been in many years. I don't think about my age I just enjoy everyday and look forward to many new adventures in life.
 BBQ Spider
Msg: 120
Did you think life would be like this at 80?
Posted: 12/19/2009 4:03:54 PM
Chagrinedly I wondered today if I'm destined to die still feeling 20 on the inside.

I gave directions to a couple in a car, sprinkling my speech with the politely deferential "yes sir yes ma'ams" reserved for my elders and it wasn't til they drove away, I recognized, they're 5 years old than me, max.

Told this to my B/F, he said just today his mother remarked she couldn't understand why people on the bus offer her their seat -- she declines it -- she is 81. She doesn't feel old either.
 damassteel
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2009 5:27:24 PM
Which doesn't mean I wasn't busy living my life in the present, it just means I was living as though there would be a future I would become a part of. I also had an idea as to how I would prefer to look and feel when I got there.

Yeah Thorb... I was thinking about it...and yes I was an "odd duck"indeed, I still am.
All I know is that genetics, planning and luck have made it nice for me now and I like it a lot.
Adendum: Checked your profile. You're rockin' the 60 thing about as well as anyone could hope to. Congrats!
 SweetMischievousMe
Msg: 122
Posted: 12/23/2009 6:52:19 AM
I never gave being 50 or older much thought when I was younger, not ever. The only issue I ever had about my age was when I was well into my 30’s and still getting carded if I went to a club. I have occasionally looked over my shoulder to the past. I have no regrets, whether from my struggles as a single mom or a disastrous second marriage. It is what it is and I am not emotionally equipped to bemoan how I thought my life should have been.

All that I have walked through in my life has made me who I am today, hence no living in the past with regrets. My older sister is only 4 years older than me and is always telling me I am too old to keep my hair platinum blond. I say to her, “No age is too old to enjoy life and have fun!”

For me to live a meaningful life, it’s important to understand it’s about making progress, not perfection. To all that are fast approaching 50 or well past 50, smile and be happy with your life, trust me , it only gets better!

A very Merry Christmas to all filled with much joy and many blessings!
 TimothyAL
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2009 9:06:08 PM
I may be 50 now, but I am maintaining better health and fitness than I did at 35. So what if I have less hair and I like to go to bed a little earlier. I still get up running hard and ready for the day.

One thing I didn't expect was the response people have to me when they learn I'm over 50. Something that is not obvious at first glance. I've found that on dating sites, like Plenty Of Fish, that I get far fewer hits from interested ladies since my profile shows that I'm over 50 than I did even a few months ago. But in real life I have ladies act interested in me fairly frequently. Their attitude changes, if they are younger, when they find out how old I really am. It's kind of strange. Perhaps I should start pricing walkers? No, I don't think so. I'm still fit and healthy so screw em'.

I do find that I judge potential dates with more long term goals than I did 20 years ago. Now it's not so much for the moment as it is for the future.

Tim
 DR_RUTHLESS
Msg: 124
Posted: 12/24/2009 10:09:37 PM
Did I miss the growing up gene?

Nope, count your blessing you are one of the very very rare cases... lots throw in the towel in their last 30's or 40's for heavens sakes.

Life begins in your late 30's I say when one breaks out of latent adolescence and it can get only better form there in many ways... if you take care of yourself.

cheers
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Did you think life would be like this at 50?