Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Smart Women      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 867love
Msg: 26
Smart WomenPage 2 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
i find it refreshing to find an intelligent woman who has her life in order. dosent need, but wants a man around to kill the spiders (eek), change her flat tires and start the gas grill -(guess our eyebrows are expendable)...
 molly__blooming
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Smart Women
Posted: 4/22/2006 8:17:27 PM
EXACTLY, luck850, you have me figured out precisely!!!! and, add to your list, "...and have great conversations in which we DON'T talk about how smart we are"
 Trooth
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Smart Women
Posted: 4/23/2006 1:48:59 PM
Why is everyone acting like intelligence is a hard to find commodity in women. A lot of stereotypes are active with women and intelligence. Pretty women can't be intelligent? Intelligent women have to be scientists or in a medical field of some sort, at least any job that requires a white lab dress (that script has been handed down by the entertainment industry for years, woman in white lab dress with glasses and hair pulled up, takes glasses off an hair down you know). The other part of the script is handed down from highly educated women (education and intelligence are two different things) who believe that because they have a degree or phd they are more intelligent than a woman who is a house wife or working in a position that doesn't require a degree (I know men with PHDs and degrees can do that towards other men as well, but we are talking about women here).

Pfft. The majority of women are intelligent... If you think book smarts or knowledge is the measuring stick for intelligence you are wrong.

As far as what the OP was asking, I expect a woman to be intelligent if she isn't it wont work out. I just don't equate intelligence with book smarts.
 molly__blooming
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Smart Women
Posted: 4/23/2006 2:57:21 PM

Why is everyone acting like intelligence is a hard to find commodity in women.

amen to that, trooth. you're absolutely right. been buggin me since this thread got re-started the other day...

thanks for saying it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 molly__blooming
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Smart Women
Posted: 4/23/2006 2:58:29 PM

Intellectually stimulating women are my favorite, too bad so few of them exist.

**exasperated palm slap to forehead**

oi weh! we DO exist, in droves, in droves i tell you!!!!

molly__blooming
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Smart Women
Posted: 4/23/2006 8:32:37 PM
oh honey, there are GREAT universities in indiana and ohio -- just hang out at cafes in the college towns, you'll definitely find them reading books (highlighters are your first clue!) and working on papers while sipping cappuccino or eating something properly vegetarian.
 tunesman
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Smart Women
Posted: 4/24/2006 10:19:44 AM
@Haleth, RE: Message 32

Aren't we being awfully quick to form opinions here? I do not see where you are picking that up, but I do not have an antagonistic opinion of you at all. I was merely adding comment to what you already said – calling things as I see them. Isn’t that what a forum is all about?

I did actually interpret your post as being flippant. Mine appears to be coming across awfully seriously to you. That was not quite my intention.

With your message 32, you are actually reinforcing the point I was trying to make.

If mentioning about the inability to find a great many people in one’s own locale and the lack of responses one often gets (I really fail to see what else I actually said in my post) makes someone come across as being full of him or herself, then I guess I have a fair bit of soul searching to do.
 zig02
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Smart Women
Posted: 4/24/2006 6:50:31 PM
"Getting schooled only means you had the means to do so".

Financial means?! What about the grades you need to get into graduate school? I agree with you that you can't equate education with intelligence (although in my view they do go together for the most part) but you can assume that someone in graduate school has more going for him/her than an ability to come up with the tuition fee.

I'm not as quick as everyone else seems to be to denigrate a university education, because to me, it appears that most people stop thinking (I mean really tough, mind-bending thinking, questioning, reading and writing) when they finish their formal education, and so people with a university education have done a lot more thinking than those who haven't.
 zig02
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Smart Women
Posted: 4/24/2006 7:08:45 PM
GothyGeek, I believe the magazine containing the survey was "Cosmos" rather than "Cosmo" - Cosmos must be a much worthier publication...

Mandrake, start doing what??
 Fry Lock
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Smart Women
Posted: 4/25/2006 9:47:01 AM
I like my men big and dumb... *stands still so she can be tied to the stake she will be burned at momentarily*
 UrbanMyth
Msg: 38
Smart Women
Posted: 4/25/2006 6:36:12 PM
I prefer a smart woman because I need someone challenging in the brains department...honestly, have yet to meet one. Although I do work with some, but, the one is totally uninteresting and the other is like practically engaged..oh well..I'll degress back to me nerandethal ways. duh..what'sup, duh..umm..(although I have to admit to talking to a couple intelligent ones here..and they know who they are..thanks!)
 zig02
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Smart Women
Posted: 4/25/2006 8:30:36 PM
GothyGeek, I tried to e-mail you but couldn't because of your restrictions. I was just kidding earlier - someone mentioned "Cosmos" but I'm sure was referring to Cosmo.

Hezron, I'm curious what subject your degree was in - how could you get a 4 year degree without going to a single class?

I like intelligent men, but most of all I love funny men - and they're much rarer than intelligent men...

Me, I'm so intelligent that I wrote my own IQ test! And did very well on it..
 molly__blooming
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Smart Women
Posted: 4/26/2006 5:44:25 PM

Me, I'm so intelligent that I wrote my own IQ test! And did very well on it..

laughing outloud! i like your style! and yes, i think that is the best way to prove our intelligence once and for all!!!!
 molly__blooming
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Smart Women
Posted: 4/27/2006 5:17:46 AM
yea, ditto, texas fool. applies to people in general too, not just in the context of dating... not into showoffs at all myself. have an excellent day!
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Smart Women
Posted: 4/27/2006 6:44:36 AM
Considering President Bush has degrees from Harvard and Yale...nevermind.
 EarthnCirciuts
Msg: 43
Smart Women
Posted: 4/28/2006 12:10:09 PM
Having dated both intelligent women and those... not so much... I'd much prefer the intelligent ones.

The worst is the one who was ... not so much... and sensitive about it. She berated me for belittling her whenever I told a joke she didn't get... which was almost every joke I told (mostly plays on words or puns).
 sayonara7
Msg: 44
Smart Women
Posted: 4/28/2006 3:17:22 PM
^^^^^^ I smell chauvinism......
 molly__blooming
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Smart Women
Posted: 4/28/2006 7:48:18 PM

Considering President Bush has degrees from Harvard and Yale...nevermind.

indeed, montreal guy, INDEED!!!!
 Gmaverick
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Smart Women
Posted: 4/29/2006 3:08:41 PM
It would depend upon what she uses that intelligence for; Hitler was very intelligent and we all know what he used his intelligence for.

Regarding education, I have to say that I've been pretty much in touch with every "circle" of society and got to know highly educated people from both sexes who are very rude, and have a very disrespectful type of behavior, as well as very kind people with exquisite manners.

And people with hardly some education, or not education at all with same results as above.

So, for me that’s not even relevant, and definitely is not one of the real important things that I would look for.

There are dishonest people in every area of society, some of them are very intelligent and well educated, and some of them are not.

I would add that I agree with the person who wrote this:

"Having been attracted to brains and beauty and number of times I can say say this: as for me, neither brains nor beauty is of much importance. I prefer a woman with a warm heart. I prefer a woman with an inner beauty. I prefer a woman that understands happiness comes from within. I prefer a woman who is basically....nice"
 molly__blooming
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Smart Women
Posted: 4/29/2006 8:34:30 PM

It would depend upon what she uses that intelligence for; Hitler was very intelligent and we all know what he used his intelligence for.

an excellent point, maverick. i recently dated (for a short while only) a guy who was very smart but used his smarts, i came to realize, to take advantage of people (in a finance context) and i didn't like that at all.
 tx_onetrackmind
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Smart Women
Posted: 6/12/2006 12:38:03 PM
In any relationship (friends or lovers), if one tries to lord their "intelligence" over the other the relationship is doomed. Almost everyone (I said ALMOST) has their "bright spots". My ex had a PhD, very competent in her field but had the common sense of a shoe. Education does not equal intelligence but it does prove that one can finish what they started. (i may be one of those) Some of the most exciting women I have known have been intelligent but not formally educated. Then there are people skills but thats a different subject.
 PickyProfessional
Msg: 50
Smart Women
Posted: 2/11/2007 3:10:06 PM
i think most male phd's, md's, jd's, etc. prefer a woman with those same (or similar) credentials AND looks. i know that's my preference in men.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Smart Women