Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 carrie bradshaw
Msg: 10
Do we give up too easy?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I think that people do give up too easily. When faced with a problem, it is easier to run than to work it out.
I give 110% in a relationship. I realize no one is perfect, I do not expect that. When you love someone, you love their "flaws" as well. I "give up" only after it is apparent that we have tried eveything and nothing has worked. I do think that it is important to exhaust all avenues before you just throw in the towel.
My Pappy and Grams were married for over 50 years before she died. My Pappy loved my Grams so much. He adored her. They always worked everything out. They had unconditional love. I want a love like that.....
Poor Carrie's rough exterior is melting.....
~Carrie
 justmeinnc05
Msg: 19
Do we give up too easy?
Posted: 4/25/2006 2:24:06 PM
I think that people do give up to easy on marriage, and are as a whole way to selfish. Instead of thinking what would be best for my family and children, most think, what we be best for me. Haviing a good marriage means putting self second, and your family and children first.
 wiserd
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Do we give up too easy?
Posted: 4/25/2006 2:57:24 PM
I've spent some time in Asia. Relationships are different there. People are supposed to be closer, call each other daily, etc. People in the US are just plain scared of this. We like our spacious boundaries and disposable relationships. If a guy seems too interested in a girl, she worries that he might 'be a stalker' etc.
 Wild Heart
Msg: 36
Do we give up too easy?
Posted: 4/25/2006 5:03:55 PM

"You like someone for their attributes, but love them for their flaws"

True. The people I love in my life have flaws and I'm well aware of them and some are cute and others I just accept and understand. I too have flaws and the people in my life who love me know they can laugh at me and some of those flaws too. Sometimes we argue though, but we never stop loving one another.

I've stated this before, but I feel our society has molded us this way - instant gratification. Easier to take the well-indicated road instead of the one not clearly marked.

I have been guilty of the giving up too easy solution, but more-so in my 20's, when I a little more**** lol.
 wiserd
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Do we give up too easy?
Posted: 4/26/2006 10:32:02 PM

Obviously contracts would be tailored differently with people who want kids.Maybe 10,15,20 or perhaps different options would be available depending on what the couple mutually agreed on.I'm not suggesting doing away with traditional marriage, I'm just suggesting offering alternatives.

I can see it. Mary Ann? Will you contract #4 me?

Brad! I'd love to! I never expected you to want a committment in the single digits...

Granted, traditional marriage has its problems. So how do we work through those? How do we prevent someone from running off to Vegas after four weeks then getting an annullment. How do we make sure people pick partners based on real, shared values? How do we make sure that they know how to solve conflicts, that they have similar ideas of what should be expected of them in a relationship. Prenuptual agreements? Funding for drug abuse prevention? Or, if the answer is that 'some people are just ***holes' how do we keep ourselves from marrying such people?

Kids need a stable environment. There might be some cases (abuse, etc.) where they're better off with a divorce.

What about people who stay in 'too long' trying to make things work? I don't think that every relationship has the same problems. What were yours? What caused them? When did you notice them?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >