Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Do nerds actually have girlfriends?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 202
view profile
History
Do nerds actually have girlfriends?Page 8 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

I use WPA2 Personal with AES, and MAC filtering on my wireless. I still reach 10 Mb down /800 up. I have 2 computers hooked up via wireless, and 1 iPod Touch.

I must be a nerd, cause I understand this stuff. My one regret is that my current wireless router doesn't do WPA2.

For 20 years I've built my own computers, I've programmed using DIP switches, built my own model rokets (35-40 years ago), and have shelves filled with C++, PERL, and JAVA books. I've studied, read, and written in Russian, use to be able to bore you to tears about the Krebs-Citric acid cycle, did my thesis on bio-electric-photometric sensors, and believe solder is a programming language (inside joke).

I have 4 functional computers around my house (only use three currently) and my main box has 2.4 TB of memory available internally and another couple externally. Each computer has 2 or 3 different operating systems. I remember, fondly, spending all nighters playing early versions of Civ, Wolfenstein 3D (mein leben), and Doom.

I am currently in mid stride wiring my house for Gigabit ethernet using Cat 5 and Cat 6 cable and putting in enough quad shielded RJ6 coax for a closed circuit network. Oh yeah, fun times.

I thought pocket protectors were an article of clothing.

My favorite genre is Sci-Fi. I have over a 1000 sci-fi paperbacks, somewhere around half are read. Favorite authors are Tim Zahn, Niven, Perry, and others.

I've earned my nerd bona fides.

Oh, yeah, and I did have girl friends.

TK
{did I mention I wore horn rim bi-focals in HS and at university - til I discovered aviators}
 dbguy79
Msg: 203
view profile
History
Do nerds actually have girlfriends?
Posted: 8/15/2009 2:17:44 PM
You seem to think being a nerd is a good thing. Listing IQ and academic accomplishment. Being a nerd means you have poor social skills and not many friends.

And yea, people with bad social skills and not many friends can still get girlfriends. They usually dress up like Spock and go to star trek conventions together.
 Pashune
Msg: 204
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2009 4:26:58 PM

I think they do and their relationships last longer cause its not about sex or looks

It irks me that Revenge of the Nerds has a different story behind it...

Ah well, it was still a good flick.
 tall.cold.1
Msg: 205
Posted: 8/16/2009 10:54:34 AM

smartmatt82 wrote:
* 140 IQ
* 4.76 GPA in high school
* World of Warcraft level 30 human mage
* stays home and studies and surfs the internet on weeknights
* asked out 8 girls since age 18 and got the "boyfriend" answer every time
* plays D&D
* Dean's List at college
* Had 1 girlfriend, but in middle school
* talks to other nerds
* speaks three languages fluently( 2 learned in high school)
* Passes every nerd quiz on the net

My IQ's 134. How do you get a 4.76 GPA unless you got bonus points? I'm not much for playing board or video games. You mean "weekend nights? I don't care for going out on weekend nights. Too many drunk idiots out there. And definitely way too many females with those drunk idiots! If a girl's decent-looking enough, she'll have a boyfriend. That doesn't mean she's happy with him or she's not looking for someone else. Go to seduction [dot] com and subscribe to the newsletter (or get the RSS feeds). Congratulations on making the Dean's List at college. My priorities in college weren't making great grades. I've always managed to do well enough on tests without having to cram for them. I didn't have a girlfriend in middle school, but when I was in high school there was a middle school girl wanting to be my girlfriend. Maybe because I reassured her and made her feel good about herself. Rent "Revenge of the Nerds" if you haven't already seen it. To me there are several degrees of competence in languages: native, fluent, advanced, conversational, basic, and none. To me "native" means they grew up speaking the language. "Fluent" means they have lived in a non-English-speaking country for at least a year or two. I consider myself "advanced" in Spanish and Portuguese, but I always put "fluent" on resumes and job applications! Which languages do you speak? Perhaps you could travel to a country where one of them are spoken and talk to the girls there.

Here, unfortunately, it seems like too many women are into guys who are "young, dumb, and full of c**". Then again, look at it from a woman's perspective. If you were a woman, would you go out with a guy who did nothing but sit at home studying and playing games or a more exciting (and perhaps athletic with a good body) guy who knows how to have a fun time?

Getting ahead in our society depends not so much on what you know but rather who you know. Unless you're exceptionally smart, it's hard getting scholarships. On the other hand, those playing collegiate sports have a much easier time getting scholarships. Sports trump scholarship in this country and that's why we import so many Indians for IT and medical jobs. I suppose that in India if you didn't have a high GPA and ambitious career goals you'd be considered a 'loser'. Their society obviously has different priorities than ours does.
 MichellefromLtown
Msg: 206
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2010 7:57:36 AM
Married nerds should be euthanized to put us who are happily divorced. No way do I want to show up on the reality show Cheaters with Stevens wife at my door... Yeah, I loved him for 2 years while she put up with his crap for 17 years!!!

ChellefromLown
 ToughLuv1984
Msg: 207
Posted: 1/23/2010 9:34:01 AM
If the OP was truly as smart as he claims he would know that his profile SUCKS... big time. Total turnoff.

Shows how much the IQ test is worth... beans. If you are a social retard you will fail at life. I have a 135 IQ but everything I have in my life has come from having a well developed EQ.

Common sense ought to be more commonplace!
 Wicked_Cricket
Msg: 208
Posted: 1/23/2010 9:47:22 AM
I don't think it's the tech thing that is scaring off women. It's your bad attitude. I know SEVERAL computer techs who are in relationships or married, with children.
Women are generally NOT attracted to sullen men with lousy attitudes about themselves & the opposite sex. Be proud of who you are. Be proud of what you do.
IF you don't like yourself, how can u expect anyone else to? If you don't like your career, only YOU can change it.

Cricket
 MichellefromLtown
Msg: 209
view profile
History
Do nerds actually have girlfriends? Not this gal anymore
Posted: 1/23/2010 10:29:55 AM
R there any available UNMARRIED nerds on line at plenty of fish today? My pc is ed up right now....My yahoo messenger aint even working :(:

good riddance to bad stanky rubbish
 cherryyblossom
Msg: 210
Do nerds actually have girlfriends? Not this gal anymore
Posted: 1/23/2010 5:21:00 PM
there are a selected few girls who are attracted to nerds. you will need lots of luck finding them. i had a few random girls harass me on the streets when i was a nerd saying things like "i love you" or "you are so cute", which annoyed me more than inspired me. i changed myself, but i think for the worse because now i look gay.
 MichellefromLtown
Msg: 211
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2010 10:02:25 PM
My favorite geek will not speake to me because I hurt his idea that married men are free to cheat on his wife. something which is my a no-go response... Yet still I love him ans want to be with him (his sexy self whp always make my day brighter

Steve I miss you something feirce We always share romantic evenings to gether

His sense of humore is like no other man I know

Chelle
 Mike6882
Msg: 212
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2010 1:50:07 AM
Nerds do fine as long as they are confident nerds. I've seen some confident average looking nerds with smoking hot girlfriends.
 WinstonDoubtfire
Msg: 213
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2010 5:51:09 AM
I'm a huge nerd.
Love Star Trek, martial arts flicks, do R&D for a thermoplastic co., my pc is full of technical drawings and specs, and I worship the ground Kari Byron walks upon...lol.

Never had a problem in the dating scene...but what am I doin here then?

D'OH!
 gm210sa
Msg: 214
Posted: 2/3/2010 7:37:10 AM
a nerd with a life, who goes out and has REAL friends, not just facebook friends or friends on STEAM....he can easily get a girlfriend.

maybe you should start reffering to yourself as smart instead of a nerd. you're just putting yourself down by calling yourself a nerd.
 TallChick61
Msg: 215
Posted: 2/3/2010 8:00:32 AM
I like nerds. :)

Brains are sexy, especially if there's a quirky sense of humor to go with them.
 happy-go-lucky_
Msg: 216
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2010 1:50:27 PM
Okay, I have a question for the resident n3rds:

Does one have to be a Star Trek / Star Wars fanboi and spend inordinate amounts of time playing MMORPGs and video games, at a minimum, in order to qualify as a proper n3rd?

Lol.
 badzee28
Msg: 217
Posted: 2/7/2010 7:13:06 AM
So what about someone like me? I'm going to school for for game design, I enjoy video games, I actually like some anime, big lord of the rings fan, I enjoy a few MMORPGs, I like to draw, and I spend inordinate hours in front of a computer. BUT get this; I also wrestled in high school, I lift weights regularly, pound whey protein like nobody's business, participate and watch mixed martial arts, I listen to good old rock and role, and I have a penchant for loud V8 muscle cars and anything fast. I think I may have broke the silly stereotype monster :D
 Val101
Msg: 218
Posted: 2/7/2010 10:44:42 AM
So what about someone like me? I'm going to school for for game design, I enjoy video games, I actually like some anime, big lord of the rings fan, I enjoy a few MMORPGs, I like to draw, and I spend inordinate hours in front of a computer. BUT get this; I also wrestled in high school, I lift weights regularly, pound whey protein like nobody's business, participate and watch mixed martial arts, I listen to good old rock and role, and I have a penchant for loud V8 muscle cars and anything fast. I think I may have broke the silly stereotype monster :D

Some of the biggest nerds i know are into mma and bjj and wrestling. And many and many of them are forever single.

Fact is us nerds have broken down fighting into an intellectual pursuit. We study the game instead of playing it. Many gym rats also fall into it, were just very devious about it.

According to webster,
a nerd = ( unstylish, unnattractive OR socially inept) AND ( pursuits slavishly intellectual or academic matters);

Yes, thats how much of a nerd i am, its easier to write in logic statement than to use the english grammar equivalent, which is more bloated and contrived. The artifices of the english grammar make it more inefficient than chinese or japanese in getting the point across, that's how bad it is.

nerds have even broken down picking up, and those ones are really weird.

I am a nerd according to webster. I am unstylish and socially inept and pursuits slavishly academic matter. So yeah my luck is not so great.

The thing about the information age, is that its easier to find loads of information about anything. If i want to, i can actually decide to learn the art of picking up women and fashion and all that fluff, because they are patterns behind it.

But i rather learn how to figure out how to learn several languages at the same time by figuring a way to compile it mentally, or learn how to play music by figuring out the sequencing and differentials between the notes. Or figure out a efficient learning process to give to others so they have a keen understanding of submission wrestling with yoga without having to do 10 years of practice.

Just the other day, i was telling to my friend, a girl, how counting in base 10 is arbitrary ( why not 20 or 5?) as much as is our time system which is in base 6 because of Babylonians, and the reason why computers count in base 16 because the cpu is fabricated with binary components.

Whenever i bring up these kind of subjects to non-nerd, its a total blank stare. Why, do i bring up these subjects? because its a mind-f*ck and completely re questions our thinking process. Its WAY more interesting than talking about hockey or politics.

In the end, at least i get paid extremely well. *sigh*
 Chill Pill
Msg: 219
Posted: 2/7/2010 6:12:23 PM
Oh yeah.. I am a Geek LOVER. I love Geeks. Smart Geeky, brainiac, NERDS turn me on so bad. I get so hot and so horny over Geek F&cken. I love them.
Do Nerds have girlfriends?? ... OHHHH Yeah, I am adDICKted to one.... Love THEM!!!!
Yum Yum... Gimme sum of that Geek Stick any day!!!!

""" Just the other day, i was telling to my friend, a girl, how counting in base 10 is arbitrary ( why not 20 or 5?) as much as is our time system which is in base 6 because of Babylonians, and the reason why computers count in base 16 because the cpu is fabricated with binary components.""

Now that's what I call pure dirty talk... that alone could make me have an orgasm. Just drives me crazzzzy... such horny talk!!!
 Clear_157
Msg: 220
Posted: 11/19/2010 1:17:27 AM
i dated a "nerd"...now ive been dumped by him again...it was cuz someone(he) wanted to 'relax' right after the 9wow-related)convention and i wanted to chatt with him! ;-( It was really cuz i think not only was he stressed out, but his ego grew from meeting all those "cool" people (actually they are geeks and mostly females who are so unavailable to him lol). He said he had a surprise for me... lies i think...i think hes really a geek...i prefer nerds. Nerds know better than to dump loving/caring gfs since nerds are smart enough to not dump women over stupid reasons. i can count exbfs on 1 hand, so i didn't deserve being treated like i was a you know what. hes back to pof. so am i until someone acts like man instead of a geek and a jerk. Smiley guy says it all me and him= me =me (and him?)
 SouthBayNative
Msg: 221
Posted: 11/19/2010 8:02:40 AM
Having grown up in a community of aerospace engineers and their progeny (and assorted scientists, doctors and lawyers) I can assure you that there is a difference between being highly intelligent and being a nerd. I think "nerd" is a perjorative term used to describe smart people who have no social skills. Some intelligent people have no social skills, others do. When people are stupid and they have no social skills, they're called rednecks. I don't think lack of polish can be blamed on one's hobbies/interests.
 FyrKrakn
Msg: 222
Posted: 11/20/2010 9:00:16 AM
As long as they are not clingy or have addiction issues, nerds are ggggggreat!
 17outdoors
Msg: 223
Posted: 11/20/2010 3:15:18 PM
Yes. Find some women with similiar interests or make a lot of money. Some women will overlook a lot of things because a man is rich.
 Odish
Msg: 224
Posted: 11/21/2010 3:15:00 AM
Nerds TOTALLY have girlfriends! Most of my guy friends are nerds and they have girlfriends.

I personally prefer nerds, maybe that is because I am a nerd myself. Video games are fun, DND is fun, and being smart gets you somewhere in life! I think what matters most is that you don't forget to take care of yourself :)
 Billy_Famine
Msg: 225
Posted: 11/22/2010 4:54:57 PM
Nerds tend to make lots of money. Guys with lots of money tend to date a lot of girls. Is That simple enough?
 foreverstacey
Msg: 226
Posted: 11/22/2010 7:07:36 PM
I actually tend to gravitate more towards nerds personally.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Do nerds actually have girlfriends?