Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ForumFlashLight
Msg: 61
What is the ideal height difference between a man and a woman?Page 3 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
The ideal height difference is the one they agree on.

Seriously this is still a question?

The reason women have a shorter average than men is because men are also picking smaller over thousands of generations. Otherwise women's average would be equal to men.

So, snark at all your dead ancestors.

It isn't up to a DEMOCRATIC VOTE as to whether you are attractive to someone or not.

It's individual response, in real time, in a fraction of a second. Even they are not totally in control of it, same as if you hit them in the knee with a hammer.

Nothing you can do about it except be as attractive as you can be, which largely includes being happy, accepting of others, kind, and YES, compensating in other ways for whatever your shortcomings are.

I'm 4'11. No guy here has anything on me for living a short life. Or living life while being short, anyway.

You have to learn how to project. That's all.

When I decide something is going to happen around me, it happens. People move.

It's not because I'm big enough to kick their ass. (Although, frankly, I could, just because of the element of surprise.)

It's because I deem it totally irrelevant how high their heads are off the ground as to whether what I want gets done. How often does it really matter if someone is taller than me? If I am in a dark alley? Duh, I don't go in dark alleys.

You short guys and you know who you are, it isn't really about a number it's about the attitude inside you....you have to learn how to project.....I AM THE BEST GUY YOU WILL EVER MEET. THE BEST LOVER YOU MAY NOT GET A CHANCE TO ENJOY.

You are the one who has to believe it first. Plus you have to back it up.

You have to deem it totally irrelevant what your height is, and become magnetic to others.

Stop your whining and complaining, and get working on becoming magnetic.

There is no amount of whining and complaining that ever won a woman.

You are in a battle. You can wage a mighty fight, or you can try winning by whining.

Haven't seen a war won yet by whining.
 Archangel_07
Msg: 62
What is the ideal height difference between a man and a woman?
Posted: 10/12/2011 12:21:41 PM
90% females wants the 6ft dude Ryan Reynolds and males want the 5ft lady or some kim kardashian
 ForumFlashLight
Msg: 63
Posted: 10/12/2011 12:24:46 PM
@LukeT77 OK, at least you are not whining.

That's a reasonable argument. So be reasonable. Maybe online dating just won't work for shorter guys for that reason.

It doesn't work for overweight women, as you suggested, for the very same reason.

I think it also relates to the associations Americans have with visual images as well.

You don't see short guys on TV unless they are funny or the butt of the joke.

Same goes for non-model type women.

People aren't really willing to give up their DNA hunt for the best DNA even when they are making decisions after they're done breeding. People just aren't very reasonable about these dating preferences.

Being reasonable takes a lot of work.

I personally don't think a billion threads trying to talk the POFfer women into dating shorter than they're comfortable will make a difference.

I also don't think a billion threads trying to talk the POFfer men into dating overweight women will make a difference.

So, I personally am working with reality. The POFfer guys (and they represent most guys very well, they say what everyone else won't ) are not going to be happy with a woman 30 pounds over her ideal weight. OK. I am managing the discovery of a disease which I didn't know I had for a year and made me gain 15 pounds even though I was eating salad. 15 on me is the same as 30 on a taller woman.

They hate it; I'm getting rid of it. Not complaining, don't care about sympathy, I'm just doing it.

My suggestion to all the so-called shorter guys: reduce your own height requirement and limit out those women. Swim with the fishes who like you.

Or, get out in real life and be brave. Work with reality.
 Fleuron
Msg: 64
Posted: 10/12/2011 12:32:52 PM
I like tall men, around six feet tall. I like long muscular man legs. I just do. I don’t feel the need to justify my personal choices, at all.

That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t or haven’t dated shorter men. There are lots of other qualities I find attractive.

Being obtuse and argumentative…not attractive.
 Metalgrrl37
Msg: 65
Posted: 10/12/2011 3:27:26 PM
I value myself enough to know what attracts me to men. I know that I am not attracted to short men in general. I don't see any need to change that... nor do I want to. Just like some men wouldn't date me because I'm not thin.. not gonna change that either. Everyone has insecurities, some big, some small. It is MY issue, insecurity, preference, and one I'm comfortable having. I see no need to try to change it either. I'm NOT settling for less than I want to have, as I want a man my height or taller...can't tell me there's no good guys out there who are 5'9 or taller.

Sure there's good short guys out there...and just as many good short women who don't mind.
 shezabritelite
Msg: 66
Posted: 10/12/2011 3:33:29 PM
I try to be open and not place height limits on men I meet, however, what is particularly annoying is that men either do not know how tall they really are, or they simply lie and add a few inches. Unfortunately it's a lie/ignorance or omission that will come back to bite them (and me) every damn time.

I've been attracted to and involved with men my height so height is not a deal breaker.

Yes I would prefer a man who is taller, it is not a requirement if the attraction is there.

There's worse things than short.
 ForumFlashLight
Msg: 67
Posted: 10/12/2011 5:40:20 PM
Well, don't quit, for pete's sake.

Nice change of profile pic - there ya go, now that's fighting dirty.

Yes, lots of people love to vent their frustrations on here; we've all done it.

I'm sad, that guys are giving up on the supermarket. Nostalgia.

Back OT: Height differences....I have dated 6'4 and it's just silly, a nuisance, and really one tries to be humanistic but there are things that just don't work right..6'0 is sort of okay, closer to the ballpark...5'11 is better...yes, an inch matters...and 5'8 is really, really good. 5'4, that brings back a few memories.

Maybe this would be more understandable if all the women are really basing their height requirement on the last great hug fitting.
 ForumFlashLight
Msg: 68
Posted: 10/12/2011 5:52:04 PM
Who are you to tell us what matters?

You don't get to decide what women want.

Oops, I guess you do, since all the anger you're showing helps us decide we don't want it.

You're calling women "coward" and "lemmings" and "tiny" and "insignificant" ???

Does that seem like attractive behavior to you? this is going to be on your profile for a long, long time.

Short-sighted. Mean. Tantrum-my.

You need a hot date with a really sweet lady and a cold , but this really, genuinely snarly attitude will NOT get you there.

I will NOT date somebody shorter than me, and you can call me all the names you want. There are certain things I need in a relationship, and that is that. My needs are important, and they matter. Just as all women's needs matter.

If you really got that, you probably wouldn't be lonely.
 ForumFlashLight
Msg: 69
Posted: 10/13/2011 6:25:56 AM
[There are things you say you need in a "relationship"? How is height part of a relationship at all? A relationship describes the interactions between two people, not their physical preferences/requirements. ]

Height is part of a relationship to each other because a relationship is going to include physical contact, and physical contact has some direct involvement with attraction.
Attraction is what starts a relationship of any kind, and preference is directly involved with attraction. Physically, I'm not attracted to guys shorter than me.

They don't "read" on the Richter scale because lots of them are in elementary school or they are abnormally short for the range of human males. Most people are geared to be attracted to the average, just for the sake of the species and the health of the gene pool.

Height is part of a relationship, physical differences are part of a relationship, if I can't kiss a 6'7 boyfriend spontaneously without a ladder, that changes the relationship and I don't want to be carried around like a Yorkie.

But the 6'7 guys are not here snarling that it 's just emotionally abusive that they are not my preference.

You are willing to call people names because you disagree with their decisions and fundamentally you wish to change their preferences or natural behavior to your own advantage.

Good luck with that, really.
 Metalgrrl37
Msg: 70
Posted: 10/13/2011 7:08:42 AM
you said it, sister :)
 Metalgrrl37
Msg: 71
Posted: 10/13/2011 8:01:12 AM
Whether my "contributions" are "brilliant" or not I have just as much a right to make them as you do. I don't think that my agreeing with another poster was meant to be "brilliant". Not everyone is going to make "sense" to everyone else, and cutting people down because they are sharing their opinions .... well in MHO that's what is sad here.
 nesartist
Msg: 72
Posted: 10/13/2011 5:23:49 PM
I'm a guy, and I'm attracted to women that are taller than I am. All my life I've always been around people that are taller than me in general, which is what I think is the reason behind it (or least what I've theoried). As far as ideal hieght, I'm about 5'2" and go crazy for women who are at least 5' 6" and higher, but too much taller. 5'8" is probably the most ideal for me.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 73
Posted: 10/13/2011 6:24:32 PM

For me? I prefer men 5'10" or shorter. The tallest man I've had a relationship with was 6'3" and dancing was just impossible and sometimes I felt like I was talking to his belly-button. The shortest man was 5'5" and was definitely the best "fit" physically for me (210 pounds of beautiful physique on that 5'5" frame.) I think average height of those I've dated for any length of time is likely 5'8"-5"10. Height has never been something I thought much about ~ weight on the other hand? Important to me. I am not fond of skinny/slight builds, nor am I likely to be attracted to someone who's heavy/over-weight for their build. This is one of those to each their own things. Much like I prefer dark hair/eyes over blue-eyed-blonds. Just preferences.
 ForumFlashLight
Msg: 74
Posted: 10/14/2011 10:01:36 AM
Luke

that's funny. 8'11?

No, from our end of the pool as short women, too-tall guys are not desirable and they ARE impractical. Problem is often they hunt us. I suspect they are trying to breed out gigantism before their children just become too tall for their knees to support.

Yes, I can see your frustrations with all the limiters that are placed. However, that's the reality of choice. You can simmer over it or accept it (or fight dirty, which you have shown some ability to do! LOL)

I do have a height max on my profile, and maybe it could be shorter but the range covers the possible, the preferred, and the majority average so it is the most efficient.

It truly is about the person IN PERSON, as intellectual sparring and flirting, though lots of fun, are not enough. The heart vibe matters, hence multiple hug fittings.

People do personality fittings too, and grow emotionally to fit their partners in some issues and preferences.

NLA, you can regard me and all my sisters as savage animals if you like for following our preferences and desires. It's the wisdom of our preferences that ensures survival of the species at a very important level of reality.

ROWRRR!!!! LOL
 valenciacityx
Msg: 75
Posted: 10/15/2011 2:58:15 AM
She's 5-9 and 6-0 to 6-1 depending on the heels
I am 5-6,
and never happier.
'The size of your love is not determined by the height of your head'
the height bias is cultural, and decidedly american
get on a plane and travel, the Russian, Ukrainian girls have some amazing long legs that look fantastic in heels and they are not so concerned with your altitude ; but more with your attitude.
What is great about Europe ? The little differences ;)
 platypus_man
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2011 6:31:44 PM
We constantly see some people who are bothered by their height, mostly shorter guys. The problem is that for some reason, everybody seems to think that they should be desirable to everyone. Life doesn't work that way, we don't get to choose what turns us on, or turns us off, and we shouldn't be scolded for having those feelings. Figure out where people are that might find you attractive, and go there. Short guys? go where there are women shorter than you are (I meet a LOT of asian women who are less than five feet tall). Tall women? Go where there are taller men (basketball fans anyone??? Lots of tall guys in those places). Unless you're a four foot tall guy, or a seven foot tall woman, this isn't even a problem, just your stubborn refusal to go where you're desired.
To answer the original question, most women like to wear heels sometimes, so a guy who's about 5 inches taller works out well. But I've dated women who were a foot or more shorter than I am, and they were just as wonderful (usually more so) than their taller sisters.
 WesternRose
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2011 8:03:23 PM
Well said sometimes-miss. In my profile I state that I'm flexible. If you don't meet the height requirement then I will wear the appropriate pair of boots and go hat less. My preference is that my date be at least 6' tall but, I know that 6'4" is a great fit for me because my husband was that tall and we fit together like hand and glove for years.

A lot of the men I know are shorter than I am. I have two great dancing partners and they are both about two- three inches shorter than I am but we are always able to have fun together. I also have a few that come to town on occasion who fit in the tall category and I let my other friends know when they are gonna be around because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

I simply feel more comfortable with someone who is at least five or more inches taller than I am.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 78
Posted: 10/21/2011 11:57:15 AM
There really is no ACTUAL ideal height difference, only a PERCEIVED ideal difference, based on the pre-conceived conditioning of our society, that has evolved over the years. Customarily, due to that perception, the man in the vast majority of male/female pairings is taller than the woman (a cursory observation of any gathering of couples will confirm this). Does it really HAVE to be this way? Of course not,....any more so than you HAVE to eat your entree before your dessert....it's just the way things have evolved, and people go along with it, for whatever justification they offer for it, (makes me feel more feminine, makes me feel protected, makes me feel less self-concious, etc.).
I suspect that a close examination of divorce statistics would show that tall people get divorced just as often as short people, thereby demonstrating that a person's height has little to do with their ability to develop and maintain a lasting loving relationship.
 paddygirlny
Msg: 79
Posted: 10/21/2011 9:12:54 PM
I am 5'1" tall and every guy I have ever dated has been taller than me.

Just remember "Good things come in small packages"
 theworldisinsane
Msg: 80
Posted: 10/22/2011 12:06:11 AM
I'm exactly 6' tall and have always had a preference for short, petite women. Unfortunately, in my observations, short women prefer short men. I've always found it a little ridiculous that women are stereotyped as preferring taller guys, because from what I've witnessed in my life--in personal experience and in observing others--this just isn't true for most women.
 bottleguy
Msg: 81
Posted: 12/7/2011 7:49:21 AM
I've been that tall guy greeneyez, lol. Dancing is hard when I'm 6'4 and she's 5'1. Most girls I like are under 5'7 though. She can't be taller than me or weigh more than me either.
 Out_of_the_Ash
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2011 12:25:11 PM
When a really tall (well over 6'), slim man walks by me I can't help that "wow" feeling inside. It's majestic. Especially when they're wearing something that gives them character and defines their body (trenchcoats can be hot).

I am 5'1" and have usually had partners around 6 feet tall, my tallest boyfriend was 6'4" and shortest was around 5'7".

I find somewhere in between to be a bit better for intimacy, as kissing is a tad awkward both standing up and in the sheets.

But yeah, there's something to be said about those tall men sauntering through the lot that makes me take a breath.
 CptJohnSheridan
Msg: 83
Posted: 12/7/2011 1:45:35 PM
I'm 6' even. the tallest I dated was 6'2, the shortest 4'10. All that matters is the heart.
 DogFort
Msg: 84
Posted: 12/7/2011 3:16:28 PM
I'm 5'11 and I like guys that tower over me. Bizarre I know. But I like some shorter guys just as much.
 Logz0r
Msg: 85
Posted: 12/8/2011 5:59:07 AM
For me, the ideal height difference is around zero. I like being about the same height as someone. It's just easier, I guess. No need to look up or down at them.

You would think at my height of only about 5'2 this would be easy but... you find a reasonably attractive young woman to give you a fair chance at 5'2 and you've succeeded where I've failed for years. They're out there but VERY difficult to find and the vast majority of women won't even give you a second glance. I don't have the luxury of being selective about the height of my women and that's fine by me. As long as she's not over 6 feet I feel I'd be alright with it although, to be fair, I don't have much experience with taller women (the tallest woman I've been with was 5'9 and it was only short term).

I'm bothered by the idea that there's an "ideal height difference" in the first place. Why does this matter as long as neither party is physically uncomfortable ie straining their necks? Can't you just be happy with the company of another human being and not worry about how your height difference must look to other people?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >