Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 227
view profile
History
What is the ideal height difference between a man and a woman?Page 8 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
Issan girls, is that Asian girls?? I know a guy went to Thailand and married a girl half his age he knew for three weeks.
He can barely understand her even after 7 years and the communication is minimal now between them because he lost his job and his house and she is stuck with two kids and crowded accommodations. She married for a better life
and it is still legalised prostitution when sexual favours are given in return for material goods. He was a fool to think she would love and support him. She may well leave if she finds another ageing sucker to give her the life she immigrated for. This is by no means an isolated situation and is rife here.

Oh and as shorter man, the petite Asian woman is attractive to him and he can be taller and bigger than....
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 228
view profile
History
What is the ideal height difference between a man and a woman?
Posted: 4/13/2015 6:20:31 PM
from what I gather even taller men get about 5% contact rate with online dating, if that. And as for successful relationships resulting, about 1%.
 south_city
Msg: 229
Posted: 4/13/2015 7:54:26 PM

Quite frankly, if you’re a 6 foot guy and you’ve got a 5% response rate like I do, then you seriously need to re-evaluate your profile, your messages or yourself.

Height is important to many women. But a tall man still needs to match her other requirements. Women may not be interested in a tall man because race, weight, hairstyle / facial features, income, education level, smoking and drinking habits, having or wanting kids, religion, interests etc.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 230
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2015 8:11:43 PM
@Dragon...that went over your head like Jetblue :) Cailfornia has 120k Thai's and he is thinking of moving there..I am sure many are from that region. Hawking mentioned the Ukrainian girls and that REALLY wouldn't work considering most dislike North Americans and most are Xenophobic and racist. And most also speak pigeon English, and come to think about it most who look to leave are village girls. Those looking for upward mobility tend to just go find a Russian!
 dragonbytes
Msg: 231
Posted: 4/13/2015 9:02:16 PM
adventurejoe70, last I checked, California is the only state in the USA where you can take your driver's license test in Thai. I figured they had the largest Thai population.

I recall a poster who was leaving the USA to live in Ukraine with his sexy new bride. He was very vocal about how glad he was to not date American women and leaving the USA. This was over a year or so ago. Then the news of Russia and Ukraine problems. I often wondered what happened to him.

I had a Russian friend when I lived in SanFran, you remind me of him a little. Nice fellow, but I would never move to either Russia or Ukraine to live. Too many political problems.

Hawking has said a couple of times the reason he doesn't like children is because they don't communicate well. Something like that. I doubt he has the patience to deal with someone just learning English.

ciao
 notthedoctor2
Msg: 232
Posted: 4/15/2015 3:39:42 PM

Sometimes, yes. But, more often, it's just that the guy can not muster any physical attraction for her. Many times, this happens, once the clothes come off. And, the guy has to decide, which is worse,

I have a close male friend who is very into working out and almost always dates slim, fit women who work out and are very active. He got to know a "chubby" woman at work who is smart, funny, kind, and has an absolutely gorgeous face. He enjoyed talking with her, and making her laugh. He appreciated her intelligence and charm, and he was feeling torn about it. He found he "wanted" to be attracted to her because she was good for him (his words) but he had never dated a chubby chick ( and she IS only chubby, not fat). After thinking about it for a while, he asked her out and things moved pretty quickly. They became intimate and were spending tons of time together. About two and half months in, I noticed he didn't seem to be talking about her as much, and I asked him about it. He told me that he "just couldn't get past" the fact that he did not love her body. He said the sex was just okay because his heart just wasn't in it. He also tried to "motivate her" and drag her butt to the gym with predictable results . I do not believe she knew that he found her body unattractive, and of course he gave her all the BS about just wanting her to be healthy. Anyway, he now wants to break up, but he feels guilty because he pursued her pretty hard, and thinks she might be in love with him. He is also kind of angry at himself for thinking that her good qualities would override the fact that she simply wasn't his type, physically. I think physical attraction is damn near the top of the list of things that matter to men and women, and it's kind of crazy to fight it.
 Dee4166
Msg: 233
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2015 4:09:07 PM
@notthedoctor

I've personally never let the 'package' stand in the way of me being with a wonderful human being....
(Get your MINDS outta the gutter!!! LMAO)

It's a known fact that people become more attractive to us as we develop deeper feelings for them....

What you describe above, is BS as far as I'm concerned....

Your friend had enough attraction to get into an actual relationship for MONTHS, and now he 'realizes' that he just isn't 'physically attracted' to this woman that he has been with???? AND is unable to 'fake it' anymore???

Wow! I'm sure she'll be so happy to know that...

I think his hormones and the 'infatuation' stage have both calmed down and the reality of being seen in public as well as introducing her to his family and friends, has him 're-thinking' the scenario....

Had a guy who once told me something similar....I was SUCH a wonderful person, and so smart and such a good person, and blah, blah, blah...

Bottom line, that was HIS breakup line....That he was NEVER that attracted to me, aside from the fact that I didn't want kids right away...

Funny thing was, as unattractive as he claimed I was, he STILL wanted to have sex all of the time!!! Go figure....

I don't know...but I personally, can't 'get it up' for someone that I'm NOT physically attracted to....and I would think that for a man, that MIGHT be even more difficult to 'hide'....

It was pretty simple in my case...Along with those women always looking to 'trade up' to a newer and richer man, according to SOME men, there are PLENTY of men out there that are more concerned with seeing IF they can get that 'better looking' or 'hotter' woman...and they don't really care to stop and think about what they might lose in the process...

Oh! And that's NOT a 'theory' either...I actually found that out from an ex-friend of his many years later.

And before, this turns into another case of 'we are all 'entitled' to be with who we want'....I don't have a problem with someone being attracted to what they like....
It would just be nice if people didn't have to go through the process, dragging others along with them, in order to 'discover' what they ALREADY know....
 arlo2
Msg: 234
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2015 4:29:19 PM
@notthedoctor2

This is probably best a subject for another thread. But, yes; that scenario gets repeated over and over.

I tell guys who get into that situation, the first time, FAKE AN INJURY ! Do NOT have sex with that woman. And, do NOT just turn it off and walk away as soon as you see her naked. There is no winning, here. It ALWAYS ends badly.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 235
Posted: 4/15/2015 5:02:33 PM
Why oh why is it always a " friend"
Only have his side, maybe not a case of couldn't get pass
as opposed to couldn't perform
Sounds like he thought his winning personality would make her shed the weigh
If she did
Probably wouldnt have banged said friend
Dating is not supposed to be " changing" others
If it was
All Men would look like my Vin
 arlo2
Msg: 236
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2015 5:44:04 PM

maybe not a case of couldn't get pass as opposed to couldn't perform

Six of one, half-dozen of the other. If he can't force himself to be aroused by her, the evening's "performance" will be cancelled. Sometimes, the little blue pill can help "the show go on". But, that would probably get old ( and expensive ) pretty quickly.

To try to bring this back to the subject, the same goes for women who are just not attracted to short men. If you try to force it, you will probably get similar results.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 237
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2015 1:42:06 AM
trying to force yourself to be attracted sexually to someone when they have other wonderful qualities, is a big mistake, for both parties. If the woman remained chubby even after encouragement to exercise, she must be okay with herself the way she is. She should have remained in the friendzone because now there will be recriminations and heartache to deal with by your "friend".
 Eternityboreme
Msg: 238
Posted: 4/16/2015 3:32:16 AM

By all means, if someone wants to live a life of delusion, then so long as they aren’t harming anyone, I’m not going to bother them. But living a life of delusion makes it much more difficult to accomplish achievable goals, since you are focusing on almost unachievable goals.

If the goal is to feel good about one's own body, what's the problem? If she _feels_ like a super modeland isn't declaring that works as one, what's the issue? Or, maybe she does work as a model for clothes, cosmetics, and things that all women purchase and enjoy?

I read scads of profiles in which middle-age men who convey they feel younger then their stated, chronological age. In this case, it doesn't have a damn to do with body acceptance or functioning with a fit body; it's about bill-boarding for much younger women. That's the difference.

I dated a man who insisted on the same thing, only to reveal that he was actually a smoker who coughed incessantly, fell asleep while eating, and couldn't get it up half of the time. He was a broken down, broken bottle, broken man who looked considerably older than his middle-age...and he was a consummate liar. (My picker was clearly broken.) Talk about delusions! Delusions of grandeur!
 HawkingJr
Msg: 239
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2015 12:08:42 PM
“This was irrespective of the relative heights of the two women.”

I assume this experiment was being controlled for the men’s other characteristics? Both men equally attractive and similar backgrounds? Or perhaps the short man with otherwise superior stats?

“BUT if I didn't have at least a 5% response rate, I would at first try different pictures, profiles, sites, etc, but if none of that worked I wouldn't devote any more time to OLD… Something that put me into contract with a lot of single or younger women.”

I have THOUSANDS of real life rejections. Before OLD came into existence, I piled up many hundreds, and as I said a couple of posts ago, I received no noticeable romantic interest prior to graduating from college, despite having mostly female best friends, frequently working with many young females and constantly being in major social environments. OLD is just a tool to meet people (in some cases, an imperfect tool or a tool skewed positively or negatively for certain people). A broken bottle is going to be a broken bottle, whether on a website or in real life situations. I think most people here are probably are in agreement with me on that; where the argument lies is what exactly makes me a broken bottle.

“from what I gather even taller men get about 5% contact rate with online dating, if that.”

I think this gets skewed a lot. Men much younger than me have absolutely awful response rates because their competition is absurd, so they throw off the curve. You’ve also got a lot of men with squalid profiles and terrible messaging skills contacting only supermodels, so they’re also throwing off the curve. Most decent-looking men of normal or above-average height on here that are around my age or above with profiles as solid as mine report far better response rates than 5%.

More importantly, many of them are also reporting the nearly mythical female first contact on a semi-regular basis, and with the majority of first meetings occurring following female first contact, this is probably the most important status to have on the site. I had one female first contact message each in 2013 & 2014 and so far none in 2015, despite living in a major metro, ranking extremely high in most searchable characteristics such as education and income and typically having a well-written profile with good quality pictures. Or maybe it’s not well-written (though I frequently check out the competition, and I’m pretty certain it’s better written than 80% of those one to two sentence guys), but considering I only get one unsolicited view a month, apparently it doesn’t really matter what I write, because that’s not what I’m being judged on. Anyway, my point is, equivalent men of normal height usually get far better response rates than the male population at large. If I had undesirable stats outside of my height (high school educated janitor with a one line Ebonics profile), then I'd probably have less than a 1% response rate as opposed to 5% (and that's over 8 years; I'm much closer to 2%-3% these days).

“Hawking mentioned the Ukrainian girls and that REALLY wouldn't work considering most dislike North Americans and most are Xenophobic and racist.”

Oddly enough, I have a Ukrainian female friend, as in, she moved here from the Ukraine when she was a child. She is stereotypically gorgeous but extremely nice and not a racist bone in her body. But she may be an exception to the rule. She’s not the reason why I threw Ukrainian women out there as an example – they really are considered among the world’s most beautiful women (one year, Playboy had three Ukrainian-born Playmates and Yulia Tymoshenko is usually ranked as the most attractive female head-of-state in history), yet at the same time, most Ukrainian women want the hell out of that country. Though perhaps not quite as much as Russian women want out of Russia.

“Hawking has said a couple of times the reason he doesn't like children is because they don't communicate well. Something like that. I doubt he has the patience to deal with someone just learning English.”

This is accurate.

“Your friend had enough attraction to get into an actual relationship for MONTHS, and now he 'realizes' that he just isn't 'physically attracted' to this woman that he has been with???? AND is unable to 'fake it' anymore???”

When I was younger, I faked attraction to women I was repulsed by for that long – sometimes even started fooling myself into believing it for a little while. But there is definitely a big difference between the guy in that example and me: I was (and am) desperate due to the lack of options, so it’s not surprising I would end up doing such a thing – somebody with all the options he has is a bit more difficult to understand, assuming we believe he had pure motives in the beginning. I mean, we pretty much all agree that someone you have much chemistry with but aren’t attracted to is a friend, right?

“trying to force yourself to be attracted sexually to someone when they have other wonderful qualities, is a big mistake, for both parties.”

100% agree. Yet, I can promise you, after 8 years of datelessness, if the opportunity came up again, I would make this big mistake again. I’m really kind of to the point of where I can no longer argue with a woman who finds me attractive that I find tolerable enough to date. And I really have no problem dating someone who is not really attracted to me but has "ulterior motives," so long as I'm attracted to her. My “special someone” does not exist. If it all ends in a murder-suicide, so be it.

“That's the difference.”

Is that a difference? So I guess if I included a line in my profile about how I *feel* taller than 5’4”, that’s “billboarding” for a taller woman? Or is it merely a delusion? Or is it not a problem at all, because I actually *feel* taller than 5’4”?

Basically you’ve declared yourself judge and jury on whether or not people feeling like something they are not is inspirational self-esteem, delusions of grandeur or real delusion. I think it’s all delusion. Which is not to say I necessarily consider a rarely achieved dream to automatically be delusion. 99% of model aspirants never become supermodels, but some have good reason to believe they could be in that 1%. 99% of aspiring screenwriters will never win an Academy Award or write a $100M blockbuster, but I don’t consider myself delusional for believing I could be in that 1%, because I’ve taken many writing classes and have numerous creative writing accolades. Now if I believed I had a shot at becoming an NBA player, that would be delusion – especially now, but even in my youth, Muggsy Bogues be damned (he was borderline delusional, because all history pointed toward that being an impossibility – however, he had unbelievable talent for a person of any height, so if any person of our height ever had legitimate reason to believe he had a chance to make it, it would have been him).
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 240
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2015 1:17:39 PM

yet at the same time, most Ukrainian women want the hell out of that country. Though perhaps not quite as much as Russian women want out of Russia.

Where did you hear that?Seems someone has been listening to those SCAM agency lines :)

That is BS. Even in the 1990's, it was a very small amount that wanted out but those were usually village girls and they preferred to go to nearby EU countries so they can visit home. 99% of Ukrainian girls would NOT want to leave their home permanently. They would like to travel and work abroad though.

As for Russians, even more preposterous. Accept for young liberals who want better business opportunities and are usually men , the majority of Russians are nationalistic. And the economy has been better in Russia than it has been in Ukraine for the last 15 years +, so they are less wanting to leave. Immigration with whole family is a whole different matter. The Jewish ones you see in NYC and Miami , as well as Israel are an exception, and left for various reasons and most importantly with their whole family.

Ironically I have seen the opposite. I actually know those who went back after making it here to find better opportunities over there and even to retire! Many of their rich are basically Brighton Beach immigrants who went back to rob the countries.

Also don't differentiate between beauty of Russian, Ukrainian, Belorussian, etc gals. They are all basically the same ethnicity(Eastern Kievan Rus Slav) except for the Western Ukrainians who are more similar to western Slavs and less model like due to cultural lifestyle.

As for Yulia Tymoshenko , or as we call her the evil gas thief, she should look proper considering how much money she spent on her campaign manager and image consultant to appeal to the Western UA and village nationalists. But her whole image was made up to get voters. She is technically an eastern Ukrainian, aka RUSSIAN.

In any case it is that thinking that gets MANY American guys in trouble..inviting a predator to your cave when you are the prey is NEVER a good idea. And let me part by saying that in the local Russian newspapers here they ACTUALLY advertise and encourage these arrangements and advise them how to milk it until they can leave...often they either go back home or come to their ethnic enclave here in Brooklyn. It is a big money making mafia business!
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 241
Posted: 4/16/2015 1:41:22 PM
AdventureJoe70...very interesting Ukrainian / Russian lesson from a man who knows the "real deal" from the streets!
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 242
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2015 1:46:42 PM
Thank you Secretary of State Eric_Summit. I am glad for our victory over the Franks of Halifax( Seems the Romans failed to catch them all) and I am sure in your position you won't make the same mistake Hillary did when she insulted the Russian foreign minister with her whole
"red reset" button joke..something that has a whole different meaning in translation.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 243
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2015 2:28:36 PM
"Where did you hear that?"

My Ukrainian friend, of course. To be fair, her family fled the country during the destabilized period of the mid-90s when corruption and inflation were out of control. However, even though the environment has obviously settled down quite a bit (last year's Crimea crisis nothwithstanding), she says many of the family and friends she knows that are in still in the Ukraine long to be in the US or the EU, although there are obviously the Klitschko types who would rather return to/stay in the madness and help build a better Ukraine.
 gfe0787
Msg: 244
Posted: 4/27/2015 1:14:13 PM
Well, I am speaking for myself.
I am 5'0 (with heels I am 5'5). I think the "ideal" height range for a man for me would be between 5'6-5'10.
That doesn't mean I will reject someone if they're slightly below or above, but the above is just my ideal preference in height. =)
 HawkingJr
Msg: 245
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2015 4:23:28 PM
I don't mean to sound too creepy, gfe... but maybe when I was in South Florida this past weekend, I should have just stayed down there.
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 246
Posted: 4/27/2015 4:31:43 PM
Damn, she's a looker, eh Hawk??

And see? She's not demanding a 6-footer.

Oh, and nice "Office Space" reference, gfe. Loved that flick.
 gfe0787
Msg: 247
Posted: 4/27/2015 5:07:30 PM
It's okay, HawkingJr. I don't think you're creepy. lol. =)
 gfe0787
Msg: 248
Posted: 4/27/2015 5:08:24 PM
Thanks, pig.
Classic, good movie!
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 249
Posted: 4/27/2015 5:30:28 PM

I am 5'0 (with heels I am 5'5).

Wow... you never "settle" for 4 inch heels...?

I think the "ideal" height range for a man for me would be between 5'6-5'10. That doesn't mean I will reject someone if they're slightly below or above, but the above is just my ideal preference in height. =)

If you Only go by 5 inch heels, my initial thought is that you'd be more stringent on a guy's height than you make it out to be. Hey, we all naturally want to tone down what could be "superficial" about ourselves. Over 9 / 10 gals who are in your same boat who'd say the same thing, all other things being equal about the guy, would go for an inch or two "above" VS "below". Sure, more open to go for the "below" to prove some jerk like me wrong, but... just saying. :)

Good news is though, I think it's more that way when a gal doesn't know a guy at all. It's less of an issue when she does.

All in all, as long as he isn't shorter than She (leeway on that if he's muscular), it's not so much how much taller he is than She -- but how tall he is compared to other guys in the room. Otherwise, on a certain popular site where it shows specific height ranges, you'd see gals who are 5'1" have the same Relative height-difference preferences as girls who are 5'7". Gals at 5'1" aren't that far off from gals 5'7" when it comes to minimum height. When it comes to guys they don't already know somewhat, they don't want one of the shorter guys in the room.

I don't mean to sound too creepy, gfe... but maybe when I was in South Florida this past weekend, I should have just stayed down there.

Yes... make sure you look look through the basement window when you track a gal down! It makes a guy look bigger when she's looking up and sees you through it.
 gfe0787
Msg: 250
Posted: 4/27/2015 5:50:08 PM
Hi norwegianguy123

haha, I do "settle" for 4 inch heels or less. I just used the 5 inch ones as example just because lol. I have no clear reason actually. Most of the time I actually prefer flats or 3 inch heels since they're more comfy for me.

I don't know. I find men of all heights attractive given their features. Some have been 5'5....others have been 6'2.
I *try* to not be superficial bc really I am not perfect. Nobody else is either. I think what matters most is the personality (as cheesy as that might sound lol). I do love my height, so I wouldn't change it for anything. I think guys that are short should be happy with their height as well. There's always someone for somebody somewhere. The only thing is timing...but that's another topic. =)
 Blackwood85
Msg: 251
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2015 4:12:51 AM
All things being equal similar looks, similar personality etc...a girl will probably go for a guy who's slightly taller than the other guy. I'm 5'9" or 5'10" depends on who is doing the measuring, if a guy is 6'0" standing next to me that's only a 2" difference but that 2 inches can be all the difference for some women. Not complaining, at the end of the day we're all adults, we can control our dating pool for the most part. I've seen short guys with women who are much taller and I've had a girl send me a message asking why I didn't send her a message since I visited her profile and wanted to meet up with her even though her profile flatly stated that she wanted a guy 6'0" at the minimum. The same thing happened to me on Tinder before except the height was 6'2" I actually told them I was under their height threshold and they didn't seem to care about the details they themselves put down.

Men and women can lament about height and weight being factors but I've seen fat women with plenty of men and short guys with plenty of women. I've been in clubs in which I know I look better than a lot of those men but they're surrounded by women. While my black ass can't even get a dance.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >