Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jeweelee
Msg: 4
How to start a conversation with someone you have never metPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
If it is the dating sites I try to comment on what is in their profile, shows you are interested. However if you are talking about some one in person, just a simple" Hi, how's it going?"should get the conversation ging, comment on something in their cart, bag, about gas prices..
What ever, just get a conversation going. To me the usuall pick up lines and such either annoy me or embarrass me depending on the pick up line..
 Strider886
Msg: 9
view profile
History
How to start a conversation with someone you have never met
Posted: 5/2/2006 10:05:12 AM
It would be great if there were set rules for what to say and when, but there are none.

Theres a phrase called "breaking the ice" and its absolutely the most important thing to do when talking to a stranger.

I walked into a job interview once, got to the reception about 20 minutes early and was asked by the receptionist to sit and wait for the interviewer. Minutes later the receptionist was talking to a collegue who was asking if she had anything for a headache, she opens her desk draw and pulls out 2 large packs of "Anadin", her colleuge takes one, thanks her and walks away. I then said "is it really that bad?", she laughed and said "it has its days", she then asked if i wanted a cup of coffee, we talked for a while about random things until my interviewer finally arrived.

I didnt get the job, but i did get her phone number!

Generally if you can get a laugh out of someone without making a joke of yourself or of them, you can break the ice and make a pretty good first impression. The rest is then down to holding an intelligent conversation.
 jeweelee
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/2/2006 5:49:45 PM
Well I just personally think now adays being more of "you" and personable is the catch. Otherwise who will they think is trying to ask them out...Jack Ripper(3's company) or Chandler Bing?<- and doesn't he end up with the girl anyway even if he is awkward and honest? Hm...yeah I'd pick that guy over Jack and his buddy... any day.
 carrie bradshaw
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/3/2006 11:36:27 AM
How about, "Nice shoes, wanna fuk?"
Just kidding...
~Carrie
 badboy_86
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2006 12:06:26 PM
If you approach enough, you'll realize that it doesn't matter what you say. You can get your friends to give you a random question/sentence and be able to get an interesting conversation started. You just have to be comfortable with approaching them and MOST IMPORTANTLY, you have to be comfortable with yourself.

And if all else fails, chloroform works wonders.
 kingrich
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2007 3:04:52 PM
This situation gets worst as you get older, Im sure, its probably more difficult once youve come out of a long term relationship, mine was 7 years, and its worst for men.

I keep hoping that women may came flooding towards me, the new world we live in, moden women, the only women that I seem to attract are the ones that have problems, the ones men wont, or dont go up to.

I've learnt from meeting my ex partner, that you need the confidence, get out with some freinds, possibly some women friends, it helps, im sure, gives you that boost, and as you would, if you went shoppping, or were a salesman keep advertising yourself, keep talking to as many woman as you can, keep asking questions, most people youll find you dont like after all, its all down too attraction, remeber the job interview you attended for your first job, you had to sell yourself, also remember that 30secound rule. Its bloody nervous but if you dont do it you'll never know and never get anywhere.

Good Luck Kinadien

I was once in your situation before i met my ex, and as happens now I get out and find that for a couple of months here and there Ive got 3 or 4 women around me at any time, but there not long term, at moment these only one girl in my life, chating to via this site but have not met, maybe shes the one, but who knows, be patient. Once again GOOD LUCK...........

MDNinja
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/21/2007 10:31:14 PM
Say hello, compliment them on something that most guys won't even notice.
 iamasiam
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2007 7:40:10 AM
First thing, STOP thinking about yourself.
Second, look and listen to the world around you.
Thrid, the intention should be for her to feel great after meeting you.

The thing is if you are to busy thinking that you don't know what to say, of course the result will be you have nothing to say.

The brain is a very creative and capable instrument, but it requires direction so you must have you intentions set first.

Good luck.

BTW this appplies to meeting and communicating with anyone in the world.
 emarguy
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2007 5:31:24 PM
Look very upset down on the ground near where the girl is standing or sitting, pretending you're looking for something feverishly and mutter "I think I've lost my Congressional Medal of Honor pin". That should get her a little interested.
 johnny prophet
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2007 8:53:04 AM

Hi how are you ?

Heh. It's funny how many of the women in THIS thread have stated that it's ok to just say "hi" when the NUMBER ONE complaint I see from women on this site in their profiles is guys who just send emails that say "Hi." or something similar.

In this thread, we have a guy asking what he SHOULD do since what he IS doing isn't working.
 njust1
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/26/2007 9:04:53 AM
Here is how I do it....

What exactly is it that keep most men including YOU from walking over to that
beautiful woman in a mall, at a bar or coffee shop and introduce yourself?

Okay bad idea; You should NEVER "introduce" yourself.
This may have worked 50 years ago but today
... forget it!

But why do men get nervous when they want to meet and chat up a woman? Why do you think you get that sh*tty feeling in your stomach that wants to tell you "Don't do it! Don't approach her!"

Let's have a look...

You see, everybody blames your lack of confidence as the main reason why you have
a fear of approaching women. This isn't entirely true. The main reason why you can't just walk up to any woman and strike up a conversation is because you don't know what is going to happen! This is exactly why people get scared or nervous in any area of life. The unknown scares the h*ll out of us.

So...the first step to conquering your fear of approaching women is to understand why most guys get scared and hesitate in the first place (and no, it's not because you just aren't confident enough).

First and foremost, most men are scared of approaching women because of the possibility of a painful rejection. They don't want to get shot down or denied by a woman because it's just bad for someone's ego. So they play it safe, check her out from head to toe from a distance and never do anything about it.

Does that get you anywhere? Unfortunately NO!

The second reason that keeps you from chatting up women is simply that you don't know how she will react. If you have never talked to a woman in your life, then just like anything that is new and not familiar to you, you'll get nervous. Or you may have even tried a couple of times to approach women here and there but had bad
results.

Yes, women can be ****y if you don't know how to handle them. You probably made a fool out of yourself once and now you don't want it to happen again. But let me tell you that you are not alone. We are all in the same freaking boat!

But if you don't do anything about this, then life will just pass you by...and you will
regret it that you haven't approached more women. So what I'm going to do now is this: I want to assure you that even without a massive amount of experience or confidence, you can approach and chat up ANY woman you would like to meet
successfully.

Do you know how I am going to do that?

I am going to GIVE you a killer line that will get a positive reaction from ANY woman,
no matter how beautiful she is. This will take away your fear because you have something in your toolbox that is guaranteed to work.

I have tested it, and I can proudly say that in 9.5 out of 10 times a woman will get hooked!

Just walk over and say (without tapping her on the shoulder): "HEY! (wait until she turns around and faces you) Listen ... I need a female opinion here. I've heard that women an only put on mascara ... when their mouth is open. Is this true?"

BAM, you are in!

All you have to do after that is be cheeky, tease her some more for about 3 minutes and you can take her number. You see, the dating game
really is much simpler than you think ...
IF you know how.
 johnny prophet
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2007 12:58:30 PM

I have tested it, and I can proudly say that in 9.5 out of 10 times a woman will get hooked!

How does one get a date with half a woman? And which half did you date? Was it a horizontal or vertical split?
 njust1
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/26/2007 1:03:01 PM

How does one get a date with half a woman? And which half did you date? Was it a horizontal or vertical split?

I guess that depends on the woman... ... I knew I could count on some whitty soul to comment that...Bravo...
 orchidtigress
Msg: 39
Posted: 4/19/2007 12:19:07 AM
Walk right up to the person, look them in the eye and say" Hi, you should get to know me better. Here is my number." wink and smile. Walk away.
 SDWmn42
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2007 12:39:37 AM

Kinadien your profile mentions that you have a goofy sense of humor. A sense of humor is always a good place to start. Use it and think of something to say while you are walking over. Practice on people in an elevator - they are a captive audience and have to listen to you - so try something on a stranger (not necessarily someone you want to "pick up" but just a stranger. Then when you have a real situation where the girl is cute and you want to meet her, you have some "tried and true" lines in your head especially because you will probably be nervous.

Good Luck
 SCUDRUNN3R
Msg: 41
Posted: 5/26/2008 7:44:13 AM
"Got a light?"
I've had some really good conversations using that one ;)
 singmingming
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/26/2008 9:47:54 PM
well in person just say "hi hows it going"

on the internet, look at their profile see if you have anything in common

and strike up a conversation

dont say like "wanna come over to my place"....

being overly expressive never works unless a girl is a nut
 Livinloud09
Msg: 48
Posted: 5/5/2012 5:25:35 AM
That's awesome, my best friend showed me that line works. At a rave in Huston. It was awesome! R.I.P BRADY
 Livinloud09
Msg: 49
Posted: 5/5/2012 5:29:08 AM
~carrie
That's awesome, my best friend showed me that line works. At a rave in Huston. It was awesome! R.I.P BRADY
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >