Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > I have a question regarding Airline Pilots and dating      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 fine2dine
Msg: 26
I have a question regarding Airline Pilots and datingPage 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
will_nevergiveup.....

if that's all you think pilot's do is push two buttons, then I guess you don't expect much from them when you're screaming down the runway at 130 mph and the right engine fails causing the airplane to want to yaw off into the ditch. Who's pushing the buttons when at 40,000 feet the pressurization system fails and everyone on board only has approx. 10 seconds of useful consciousness, prompting the captain to dive the airplane 30,000' feet? Who is pushing the buttons when the left engine catches fire, all electrical systems have failed, and their is a major thunderstorm keeping the aircraft from being able to land?

Let me tell ya, it's not an easy task, by any stretch of the imagination. ALL airline pilots are very professional and take their jobs extremely serious. They train very hard to handle the above mentioned emergencies so if they ever do happen (which thankfully, almost never do), they will know exactly what to do so you can go home to your family.

As far as your final comment is concerned...are you sure it's not because of you that the pilots you've met can't keep their pants on? As well as the policemen?
 will_nevergiveup
Msg: 27
I have a question regarding Airline Pilots and dating
Posted: 6/11/2006 9:21:37 PM
I have candid friends that are in these two professions. I am not an active participant with their misdeeds.
 RomanyGirl
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/13/2006 9:04:16 AM
I work at both the Perth Airports and have always found most Pilots to be friendly and happy people.
I've not found the arrogance you mentioned but have instead found most of them are quite cheeky in a good way.
 Chatpilot
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/5/2006 7:01:18 AM
I think most of it is a false stereotype.

Before 09/11 I flew a 737 for UAL. The relationship between the F/As and the front-end was tenuous at best. The physical barrier of the****it door was nothing compared to the psychological barriers between job types.

To us it was a career. To them, a job. They perceived us to be lazy, overpaid, blowhards (well, we might have been blowhards anyway). We perceived them to be lazy, whiny, and looking to avoid work at any expense.

Overnights were not the party that you've seen in the movies or on TV. Generally we would get to the hotel and -- depending on the crew -- would either go out to dinner and then go back to the room to go to bed, or (if we didn't get along) we would "slam-click" (i/e slam the door and click the lock shut).

I dont know what things are like now. I can't imagine they're any better. I was laid off after 09/11 (along with about 7000 other airline pilots in the US) and now i'm flying for a corporation. Generally the lifestyle is much better here.

I'd say I miss the money, but it's not there anymore. Pre 09/11 I was making about $100 per hour -- that equates to around $100,000 per year (most pilots are paid by FLIGHT HOUR and are not paid by the amount of time they spend at work, away from home.) The FAA limits part 121 airline pilots to 1000 hrs per year. Today, those pilots who are still at UAL in roughly the same seniority percentile that I was in are making $40,000 - $60,000/yr. Big change.

I can't imagine ever going back. It's just not the same anymore.
 OceanWanderer
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/5/2006 5:34:11 PM
I think you get people like this in all high pressure hi pay jobs and can't judge a person by their career choice - if you do, you're writing off the majority of the higher paying professions in the world:

CEOs
Stock brokers
Pilots
Doctors
Lawyers
Accountants

Any job that attracts people by high salaries or high rewards attracts those with the biggest egos - or why would they do them? They want people to look at them and say "WOW! you do that?" The same as the "musicians" who learn guitar just for the wow effect.

I don't think it's fair to judge a whole group by the actions of a few...or even the majority.
 littleangels_2
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/5/2006 6:22:42 PM
I seen this forum and just had to post a reply.....I have been chatting with a pilot now for a few weeks, yes his schedule does make it hard for us to meet, but he does make the effort to call alot....He has alot of respect for women, not high on himself. I am far from worried that if we hooked up that he would have ladies friends all over...heck just because he's a pilot doesnt mean he is no different than any other guy getting his ladies on the side....It all comes down to trusting the guy, and keeping him happy at home...I would have no problems dating a pilot....never thought it was an issue til I read this post....honestly its unreal that people just shut them out because of their profession.......Dont judge people from other experiences...everyone has their own unique personality!
 Ratero-park-man
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/6/2006 8:32:19 AM
Well next week I am going to Europe and I will be going around to a few countries KNOWING that when we fly in a way the Pilot is the one who has our lives in his hand on the plane. I have even seen female pilots and I just have it in me to respect pilots because they do have a demanding job and remember people all 400 plus people on the plane including passengers and flight crew, they are the Pilots reponsibility and not to mention getting the aircraft from one place to another safely. They have alot of responsibility and it just surprises me how SOME women and maybe men (with regards to female pilots) view pilots in general, they seem to go by their emotions as opposed to using reason you know?
 Chatpilot
Msg: 33
Posted: 7/6/2006 5:07:04 PM
Thanks for those who offered support. On behalf of pilots everywhere I appreciate NOT being the victim of stereotype.

We are simply people who travel for work. That does not mean we have, or are looking for, a woman in every port.

Most of us would settle for a woman in ONE port who would be understanding of our lifestyle and who would be willing to be in a relationship that may, from time to time, be long-distance.
 designingwoman
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2006 6:39:07 PM
Chatpilot,

Fly safe! I am looking forward to hopping on an airliner to attend a conference in August. I enjoy traveling by air, and always respect those who are taking me to and from my destination. I am sorry for those above who would not choose to see someone based on a person's occupation.

One of my fave friends is an airline pilot--a woman pilot at that and one of the nicest people I know.

Blue skies to all the flyers reading this thread.

DW
 anenigma
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2006 6:05:56 PM
@OP

I would be a little reluctant to date a pilot. Why? Cause of the fact that they travel so frequently. IMO, that's a hindrance to dating...always flying here or there....and depending on the personality of the pilot, it can create a lot of temptation..that is if they're that type..

Being that I was in the Air Force, many I met were very 'down to earth' but I did see a lot of cheating...so I don't know about the 'arrogance'.

One occupation I've had much experience with....surgeons. Doesn't matter what kind...orthopeodic, neuro, general, plastic, etc...now they're a different breed. Very****, very arrogant, very rare bunch who think they're God. Never liked 'em, probably never will!!!
(with the exception of two I had to be operated on, whom I hand picked and love love love!)
 luckybushpilot
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/11/2006 8:45:27 PM
well ladies and gentleman im an airline pilot, and im not going to defend myself or my profession. i do it because i cant be a rock star. i love the travel, and i meet a lot of women, and i get laid like a motherfuucker. I AM an arrogant assshole. go ahead and hate me BIOTCH.
 littleangels_2
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/18/2006 7:00:07 AM
Ya I have seemed to change my mind on this forum as well, Like I said I chatted to a pilot from my area for months and when push came to shove and finally meet he was gone in an instant...wtf...obviously he was hiding something...I would be cautious if I were to ever be interested in one again.
 Chatpilot
Msg: 38
Posted: 8/3/2006 7:06:29 AM
An enigma would REALLY hate me. I fly for work, and when i'm off I travel the country in an RV.

Not only travel a lot, but -- at least as of recently -- don't even have a mailing address! (not entirely true, got a post-office box in Kansas City) :)
 sassypeach67
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/4/2006 6:25:04 AM
I feel for ya!

I was in the Navy and you know the ole' saying...well there are a few but....here are some...

"Got a different man/woman in every port."

"Drunken sailor."

"Everyone gets to ride a wave. (female sailor)

So I had to put up with a lot of stereotypes as well. When I would meet a man and they found out I was in the Navy I was one of those three things: Slutty, Drunk all the time or Easy!! Funny thing was...I was still a virgin then!! But a few people lost a good person because of stereotypes.

So pilots....fly the skies....have some friends....find one that will understand. Military minded or divorcee's will know how to be a partner to you. We are use to living with someone who is gone way too often, but we cope. (military wives have a whole nother set of stereotypes) lol....When daddys' away the wife will play....etc....

So, see, I truly understand the stereotype thing....

Well dang, here is another one...I have 3 beautiful kids, divorcING.....if I want to date I am "looking for a daddy for my kids." or "looking for someone to pay my bills."

I have a degree, working on my masters and I work fulltime. I take care of my kids, just built a house last year and do not need someone to step in and "rescue me." I would like to meet someone who will be an active role in all of our lives but I am not looking for someone so I can quit everything I have (am) working for and become a leach! GET A CLUE!! There are some good women who have children who just want someone in their life! Mommies are still women!!!

OK....just shows you...there are stereotypes everywhere you look.
Peach Out
 hypoxic
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/20/2006 3:26:10 AM
WOW!! So many people on here with opinions and ideas and some MS Flight Sim time! To all of those believing that some pilots are jerks...well you're right. But I mean let's be honest, this is the most un-natural act a human can take on, so forgive some of them for watching way too much TOP GUN. How many cops are dogs or have god syndrome...let's not argue that with me, because I know too many... how about firemen? Again...let's leave that alone shall we...

Now I'm sure I've got an attitude about my flying and any pilot out there who doesn't think he can be or is the best is a liar!! But I don't know about any other pilot on here, but I fly for me.... if I date a girl and she comes flying, it's because I'm showing her something of my world that I'm damned proud of, not to get laid as some people seem to believe...

fine2dine...thanks for the model on when the job hits a worst case scenario, while still on the ground none the less... While this is a job, and usually fairly straight forward, there are so many items that can link up to ruin your day as all pilots know, and when you manage to avert tragedy on some level every time because of your own judgement it's a great feeling isn't it!

Aviation is a tough world, and people who make it or have the drive to make it are gonna have chips on their shoulders somewhere. Everyone has an ego. It's between your id and your superego so let's not be fooled! As for people thinking "this is like a cop or a firefighter"...I would say no it's not. It's much much worse, but oh so much better. worst case scenario for a pilot is trying to control something that is out of control until the very last moment in time as any good pilot would fight not for anything, but his airplane. while even going back to the days of working a Cessna 152 out of a Spin or Spiral Dive in PPL flight training on the hopes that the back to basics approach will save all. But best case scenario tops all as a moment in time where you yourself feel imortalized and humbled, in the view of the world that all can walk on, but only a few can streak across unbound by the soles of our feet.

Btw...I'm a single guy... I get lonely... so as for pilots being dogs... I can't speak for all, but I know I'm not. I'm still a virgin... not a practicing one anymore, but you get my point
 wanderingbeauty
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/20/2006 1:41:04 PM
This is kind of a fun thread to me for a few reasons.

The Great Things About Pilots:
First: I worked on a Marine Corps Air Station, so pilots are very very sexy and appealing to me.
Second: I also think we misjudge them alot. Though they might come off as stuck on themselves, when you talk to them on a daily basis they were always more humbled by their jobs and felt blessed to be in that situation.
Third: Free Flights...hello? I am a gypsy of course thats appealing.

The Bad Things About Pilots:
First: They are gone alot and when in the service, its much scarier.
Second: "Girl In Every Port Syndrome"

You will find positive's and negatives in any job classification and men. I wouldn't and haven't eliminated any potential dates based on their job or income. Whats the point..You could miss out on the love of your life
 hypoxic
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/20/2006 4:18:12 PM
ROGER THAT!!!!

but a girl in every port!? I dunno about ya'll but I'm scared of water!
 wanderingbeauty
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/20/2006 7:09:07 PM
^^^^
Ok..Maybe a better term would have been a girl in every airport?

Either way, I would take my chances
 Lauralight
Msg: 44
Posted: 2/28/2007 10:57:27 AM
Yep, my X-husband was pretty damn arrogant. But I'm sure it had much more to do with his European upbringing. I'm actively seeking another pilot. I like the benefits, usually the income, and independent the time apart.
 Lauralight
Msg: 45
Posted: 2/28/2007 10:58:25 AM
Yes, I use to tell my x he'd replaced by a monkey anyday now.
 Lauralight
Msg: 46
Posted: 2/28/2007 11:06:35 AM
Hi Hypoxic,

I get what your saying completely. In my case, my x couldn't bond by talking about anything besides acronyms...(alphabet soup as I learned it's called in Journalism). I do feel for pilots after being married to one, because it's like being a truckers wife, where it's not only the multiple days away occur regularly but multiple weeks during trainings away as well. Many women are clingly, not me, but it was my x whom was, and he drove me nuts as pilot from a distance calling as if I'd forget he existed if he didn't remind me over and over. I'm not a cheater. From a woman's point of view beneies are great, not easy to be stand by at all. But travel is nice(if you've picked a guy generally speaking that you get along with). I was with one who believed a shrink, if he went to one, WOULD automatically turn his personal psychologicaly problems over to the FAA to get his liscense revoked. Too bad, if he worked on his "stinking thinking," we might still be married!
 daisie
Msg: 47
Posted: 2/28/2007 11:15:23 AM
I had a long term, serious relationship with an airline pilot...

and I can tell you he was not arrogant (not with me anyway cuz he knew better)...but some of his pilot friends did seem to have that superior attitude at times. Other times they were all super cool great guys to hang around with.

Ya just have to remind them now and then that alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll they are is frikken Glorified Bus Drivers in the sky. whoopdie-doo.

and men (ok ok ok and women) from all kinds of careers can be quite arrogant. It stems from their personality, not their vocation.

BTW "glamour" in all the jet setting and world travel?? Hmmmm well yes that's all exciting at first when he/she's new at the job. But it doesn't take long before they get SICK and TIRED of the BAG DRAG...from the airport to the hotel and back and again.

Most of them I knew simply wanted TO BE AT HOME for a while. My ex's idea of the PERFECT VACATION was to put up a little fence around the couch and just be able to sit there completely undisturbed for a few days. delays, crowds, taxis, jet-lag, schedules, lugguage, weird food, missing home, no privacy ....it gets to many of them after a while.
 Pamela1
Msg: 48
Posted: 2/28/2007 2:48:48 PM
OMG! I had an experience on here with one that sent me a message and I messaged back and it was friendly to start with, then he asked 'where do we go from here' and I explained I wasn't interested, he goes and insults me by saying 'well I date prettier and slimmer women than you and he said I should have 'portion control' Uhhh hello? I'm not fat and I shot him back a message saying he thought he was a god because he was a pilot and he prefers anorexic women over a real woman with curves and he was a shallow fool and I blocked him! I know astronauts and this guy has nothing on them. some people really don't get it!

designingwoman
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2007 4:41:08 PM
To the poster asking about female airline pilots:

I have a great friend who is an airline pilot, and a female. She is a wonderful person who cannot do enough for the people in her life.

So that shoots down the theory that all airline pilots are arrogant in one shot!

Pilots are like anyone else. There are good people who are pilots, and bad people who are pilots. I would not rule out dating someone who is a pilot--why would I rule someone like myself out??? Even though I do not fly professionally, I do have my pilot's license and have enjoyed flying for pleasure over the years. I hope to start flying again soon, as I miss it so much.
 Black_Hockey_Guy
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2007 5:02:24 PM
I nearly busted a gut laughing (at myself) cuz I usually just give kind of a glance over the forum topics (when the page first loads) to see if there is anything interesting....

Somehow I thought the OP's topic was "a question about AUTO pilots and dating" LOL Mile High Club Material??? LMBAO...I need to get more sleep...my brain is fried. LOL

Dave aka BHG

P.S. Those definitely wouldn't be cheap dates, that's for sure, even with Air Miles...LOL
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > I have a question regarding Airline Pilots and dating