Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > I have a question regarding Airline Pilots and dating      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 privatenites
Msg: 26
I have a question regarding Airline Pilots and datingPage 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Designing - I do not stereotype people based on their jobs!!! I was making a statement, an observation based on MY life experience and MY preferences

IF you read my post you would have discovered I grew up in the atmosphere of ALL of those professions - my family members and some close family friends were exceptions - I have first hand observation and knowledge of many men in two of those professions being around it most of my life OK?

As well one of my brothers is a pilot AND musician - which I also mentioned earlier and is a loving devoted husband.

I'm so glad you had a great experience with "ONE" person in ONE of the professions I mentioned - I also said I steer clear, steer clear - NOT AVOID - dating them - friends fine, read again friends fine

Sometimes I think people are so eager to get their opins out here on the forums they not only don't read prior posts - they don't comprehend what they do read.

Since you've already told the story about your friend once in a prior post - allow me to post my prior statement 'again' in case you want to actually read it this time!

Very similar to musicians and doctors, which I grew up around and have first hand knowledge of - 'certain' professions for 'some' men, especially the high-paid professions - just lend themselves to arrogant attitudes and womanizing behavior - and if the nature of the beast is a weak one - well then there ya go - I personally steer clear of pilots, musicians and doctors for dating, friends fine, if for nothing else than their schedules are whacked
 Darkhorse7
Msg: 27
I have a question regarding Airline Pilots and dating
Posted: 5/15/2006 10:42:35 AM
With regard to airline pilots having an elevated opinion of themselves: It is true much of the time but certainly NOT all of the time.I have many friends who are professional pilots as well as I am myself a professional for quite a few years.It is true that in any profession where people make a good deal of money that those individuals may have the opportunity to think that they are their job and since the job pays well,then they too must be highly prized.What a shame.Couldn't be further from the truth.
Here's the skinny on it.If he/she is of undue self-worth,then drop him/her and run away quickly.Nothing is more unattractive or ugly than the person who falls in love with themself.It's all about heart and character,nothing more.Keep it simple and forgive the morons who think a job is worth more than the human. :)
 Ava111
Msg: 28
Posted: 5/15/2006 12:17:03 PM
It's funny you should ask this....this has nothing to do with the occupation really, it's about the person and the following all fall into the same category:

1. Pilots
2. Flight Attendants
3. Travelling executives.
4. Musicians.

All these professions have one thing in common, "what happens on the road, stays on the road."

I've had many female and male friends who have been frequently cheated on by people who hold these professions, but I truly believe it's not the job, it's the person's morals that dictate what they will and won't do.

This I know is the fear and maybe the apprehension of dating someone that has this type of job.

There's my two cents.
A.

saviour77
Msg: 29
Posted: 6/8/2006 11:32:35 AM
your right about this point
 lv2fly426
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/8/2006 12:09:55 PM

As a pilot and aircraft maintenance engineer I had to join in. First of all. Flight attendants are worth the weight of a 747 in gold. In my opinion they have the most thankless job in the airline industry (next to us mechanics) and have to put up with people that were once normal on the ground and become complete ass's in the air.

If it wasn't for the flight crew in Toronto (Airbus) there would have been deaths.

As for the mile high club.....It's a myth.

Help me Jesus, I'm too drunk to fly.
 BarfBoy
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/8/2006 1:00:45 PM
I too work in the industry as a controller and have heard people state they wouldn't date either because of the preception of arrogance. I would just like to say that it is a pleasure to work with the professional pilots that I encounter each day. The job can be incredibly stressful on both sides of the mike with such a high level of responsibility. To be successful in the job (pilot or controller) you have to have a great deal of confidence in yourself or your just not going to be able to continue. I think sometimes this confidence is taken the wrong way. Industry wide we are just the same as any other group of employees - good and bad, arrogant and humble; but to do the job we do have to be confident.
Doesn't mean I'm confident enough to walk across a dance floor and ask the hottie for her number, mind you....but I can point 747s at each other without batting an eyelash!

..and yes we do tend to have a 'black' sense of humour as well.

pilot "center we've got traffic at our 2 o'clock, what's this other airplane doing at our altitude?"
controller "what makes you think it's your altitude sir?"
 fine2dine
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/8/2006 8:25:47 PM
Well, I thought I should speak up and defend the misconception of my profession.

Yes, there are a few arrogant pilots in the airline industry, but you have to remember flying airplanes only aggravated the situation...they were already arrogant people to begin with. They believed they could enrich their egos by entering into a challenging career that commands alot of respect. These type of people make up a small percentage of the airline industry.

On the other hand, there are airline pilots who are very, very intelligent people that had a choice of many professions including doctor and engineer, but chose flying because of the thrill and the chance to see new and exciting places. They did not enter into the business because of large egos, but because they wanted the satisfaction of doing a very challenging job while maintaining a high level of study and work. They wanted a career that commanded hard work and committment like other professions, but wanted to focus their efforts on a different kind of excitement.

Another group of pilots (and I think I fit into this group the most), are the ones that have a true love for flying and wanted to take it to the professional level. They have no egos, are just happy to be where they are and savour every minute of it. They love to travel and wanted to earn a living seeing the world. There is nothing more exciting than climbing out through the clouds, leveling off at a flight level with nothing but blue sky and sun above you. It really is a thrill!

As far as pilots and dating yes, I'd say some are of the permiscuous type, but no different than business men. You put a bunch of people on an over night work trip on the company dime, add some alcohol, and things will happen. But I think the ones that are being unfaithfull to their significant others are the ones that aren't happy in their relationships anyway. It really has nothing to do with being a business person or an airline pilot, but has to do with what kind of person they are and what situations they put themselves into.

So what I'm trying to say is dont' stereotype airline pilots because of the misconceptions of TV, media, etc. We are just people doing a job that we love and have trainined very hard to do.
 GoodKittyGoneBad
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/9/2006 12:06:25 AM
Pilots fly from city to city or country to country, it's a sterotype that they have sex with the flight attendants or any woman they can hook up with in their travels. I once sat across an off duty pilot and an on duty flight attendant on a flight out of Nova Scotia and I listened to them discussing their nites out in different cities...how they went out and partied and such....I wondered if the guy was married or had a SO...I think alot of them do appear to be very full of themselves, when you see them walking thru airports they are looking very dapper in their uniforms and confident (come on, who would want to see a nervous looking pilot slinking thru the airport with his head down). I think the general sterotype is that they are just arrogant cads who mess around alot. I fly alot and when I'm getting off the plane, sometimes they are standing there as you exit and I always smile and give them a thumbs up and say "good job captain!" and they always smile or laugh...I don't think they are any worse than any other men in high stress power jobs, but I personally wouldn't date one.
 fine2dine
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/9/2006 5:39:05 AM
Jaya4cd,

Any particular reason why you wouldn't date one? Just stating that you wouldnt' date an airline Pilot because you've heard they might party makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Would you date a business man? How about a carnival worker? They are on the "road" alot away from home, hanging out with colleagues, "partying".

There is also this thought that pilots are never home, always gone...this is false. We might be gone on a 3 day pairing to where ever, but when we come home, we are off work for 5 maybe 6 days. Who wouldn't want that lifestyle? 5 or 6 days straight with your family. Most senior pilots at the majors might do a Toronto-India-toronto pairing, be gone 3 days, then off for a week.

In fact, pilots have more days off than alot of other professions. Think about a lawyer...they work 6-7 days a week and upwards of 80-100 hrs a week. And what about a doctor, 24 hr shifts, sleeping at the hospital, doing this 4 or 5 days straight. An accountant during tax season, they are never home. A director or VP of a company will work 12 hours a day 6 days a week, and gone on business travel 2 maybe 3 days a week. So tell me how these professions are better for raising a family?

It is absolutely a misconception on the lifestyle. Take it from me, when we land and get picked up for the hotel, all we want to do is get some sleep after a 10 hr flight, so we can be well rested for the next day flight home. And trust me, when you've spent 3 days in a hotel, you just can't wait to get home and see your family/friends.
 will_nevergiveup
Msg: 35
Posted: 6/11/2006 10:23:09 AM
I've dated airline pilots. They ARE arrogant. Fighter pilots are really full of themselves. But OH... the stories they can tell! Pilots and police--neither can keep their pants on. As for the power they exude up in the air. Talk to any pilot... he has all those knobs and buttons and lights to control, right? Well... truth be known, he pushes two buttons. #1 is auto pilot. #2 is to call the FA.

Overall pilots are the FUNNEST group of people I've ever met. They've got it going on!
 fine2dine
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/11/2006 8:07:12 PM
will_nevergiveup.....

if that's all you think pilot's do is push two buttons, then I guess you don't expect much from them when you're screaming down the runway at 130 mph and the right engine fails causing the airplane to want to yaw off into the ditch. Who's pushing the buttons when at 40,000 feet the pressurization system fails and everyone on board only has approx. 10 seconds of useful consciousness, prompting the captain to dive the airplane 30,000' feet? Who is pushing the buttons when the left engine catches fire, all electrical systems have failed, and their is a major thunderstorm keeping the aircraft from being able to land?

Let me tell ya, it's not an easy task, by any stretch of the imagination. ALL airline pilots are very professional and take their jobs extremely serious. They train very hard to handle the above mentioned emergencies so if they ever do happen (which thankfully, almost never do), they will know exactly what to do so you can go home to your family.

As far as your final comment is concerned...are you sure it's not because of you that the pilots you've met can't keep their pants on? As well as the policemen?
 will_nevergiveup
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/11/2006 9:21:37 PM
I have candid friends that are in these two professions. I am not an active participant with their misdeeds.
 RomanyGirl
Msg: 38
Posted: 6/13/2006 9:04:16 AM
I work at both the Perth Airports and have always found most Pilots to be friendly and happy people.
I've not found the arrogance you mentioned but have instead found most of them are quite cheeky in a good way.
 Chatpilot
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/5/2006 7:01:18 AM
I think most of it is a false stereotype.

Before 09/11 I flew a 737 for UAL. The relationship between the F/As and the front-end was tenuous at best. The physical barrier of the****it door was nothing compared to the psychological barriers between job types.

To us it was a career. To them, a job. They perceived us to be lazy, overpaid, blowhards (well, we might have been blowhards anyway). We perceived them to be lazy, whiny, and looking to avoid work at any expense.

Overnights were not the party that you've seen in the movies or on TV. Generally we would get to the hotel and -- depending on the crew -- would either go out to dinner and then go back to the room to go to bed, or (if we didn't get along) we would "slam-click" (i/e slam the door and click the lock shut).

I dont know what things are like now. I can't imagine they're any better. I was laid off after 09/11 (along with about 7000 other airline pilots in the US) and now i'm flying for a corporation. Generally the lifestyle is much better here.

I'd say I miss the money, but it's not there anymore. Pre 09/11 I was making about $100 per hour -- that equates to around $100,000 per year (most pilots are paid by FLIGHT HOUR and are not paid by the amount of time they spend at work, away from home.) The FAA limits part 121 airline pilots to 1000 hrs per year. Today, those pilots who are still at UAL in roughly the same seniority percentile that I was in are making $40,000 - $60,000/yr. Big change.

I can't imagine ever going back. It's just not the same anymore.
 OceanWanderer
Msg: 40
Posted: 7/5/2006 5:34:11 PM
I think you get people like this in all high pressure hi pay jobs and can't judge a person by their career choice - if you do, you're writing off the majority of the higher paying professions in the world:

CEOs
Stock brokers
Pilots
Doctors
Lawyers
Accountants

Any job that attracts people by high salaries or high rewards attracts those with the biggest egos - or why would they do them? They want people to look at them and say "WOW! you do that?" The same as the "musicians" who learn guitar just for the wow effect.

I don't think it's fair to judge a whole group by the actions of a few...or even the majority.
 littleangels_2
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/5/2006 6:22:42 PM
I seen this forum and just had to post a reply.....I have been chatting with a pilot now for a few weeks, yes his schedule does make it hard for us to meet, but he does make the effort to call alot....He has alot of respect for women, not high on himself. I am far from worried that if we hooked up that he would have ladies friends all over...heck just because he's a pilot doesnt mean he is no different than any other guy getting his ladies on the side....It all comes down to trusting the guy, and keeping him happy at home...I would have no problems dating a pilot....never thought it was an issue til I read this post....honestly its unreal that people just shut them out because of their profession.......Dont judge people from other experiences...everyone has their own unique personality!
 Ratero-park-man
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/6/2006 8:32:19 AM
Well next week I am going to Europe and I will be going around to a few countries KNOWING that when we fly in a way the Pilot is the one who has our lives in his hand on the plane. I have even seen female pilots and I just have it in me to respect pilots because they do have a demanding job and remember people all 400 plus people on the plane including passengers and flight crew, they are the Pilots reponsibility and not to mention getting the aircraft from one place to another safely. They have alot of responsibility and it just surprises me how SOME women and maybe men (with regards to female pilots) view pilots in general, they seem to go by their emotions as opposed to using reason you know?
 Chatpilot
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/6/2006 5:07:04 PM
Thanks for those who offered support. On behalf of pilots everywhere I appreciate NOT being the victim of stereotype.

We are simply people who travel for work. That does not mean we have, or are looking for, a woman in every port.

Most of us would settle for a woman in ONE port who would be understanding of our lifestyle and who would be willing to be in a relationship that may, from time to time, be long-distance.
 designingwoman
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2006 6:39:07 PM
Chatpilot,

Fly safe! I am looking forward to hopping on an airliner to attend a conference in August. I enjoy traveling by air, and always respect those who are taking me to and from my destination. I am sorry for those above who would not choose to see someone based on a person's occupation.

One of my fave friends is an airline pilot--a woman pilot at that and one of the nicest people I know.

Blue skies to all the flyers reading this thread.

DW
 anenigma
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2006 6:05:56 PM
@OP

I would be a little reluctant to date a pilot. Why? Cause of the fact that they travel so frequently. IMO, that's a hindrance to dating...always flying here or there....and depending on the personality of the pilot, it can create a lot of temptation..that is if they're that type..

Being that I was in the Air Force, many I met were very 'down to earth' but I did see a lot of cheating...so I don't know about the 'arrogance'.

One occupation I've had much experience with....surgeons. Doesn't matter what kind...orthopeodic, neuro, general, plastic, etc...now they're a different breed. Very****, very arrogant, very rare bunch who think they're God. Never liked 'em, probably never will!!!
(with the exception of two I had to be operated on, whom I hand picked and love love love!)
 luckybushpilot
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/11/2006 8:45:27 PM
well ladies and gentleman im an airline pilot, and im not going to defend myself or my profession. i do it because i cant be a rock star. i love the travel, and i meet a lot of women, and i get laid like a motherfuucker. I AM an arrogant assshole. go ahead and hate me BIOTCH.
 littleangels_2
Msg: 47
Posted: 7/18/2006 7:00:07 AM
Ya I have seemed to change my mind on this forum as well, Like I said I chatted to a pilot from my area for months and when push came to shove and finally meet he was gone in an instant...wtf...obviously he was hiding something...I would be cautious if I were to ever be interested in one again.
 Chatpilot
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/3/2006 7:06:29 AM
An enigma would REALLY hate me. I fly for work, and when i'm off I travel the country in an RV.

Not only travel a lot, but -- at least as of recently -- don't even have a mailing address! (not entirely true, got a post-office box in Kansas City) :)
 sassypeach67
Msg: 49
Posted: 8/4/2006 6:25:04 AM
I feel for ya!

I was in the Navy and you know the ole' saying...well there are a few but....here are some...

"Got a different man/woman in every port."

"Drunken sailor."

"Everyone gets to ride a wave. (female sailor)

So I had to put up with a lot of stereotypes as well. When I would meet a man and they found out I was in the Navy I was one of those three things: Slutty, Drunk all the time or Easy!! Funny thing was...I was still a virgin then!! But a few people lost a good person because of stereotypes.

So pilots....fly the skies....have some friends....find one that will understand. Military minded or divorcee's will know how to be a partner to you. We are use to living with someone who is gone way too often, but we cope. (military wives have a whole nother set of stereotypes) lol....When daddys' away the wife will play....etc....

So, see, I truly understand the stereotype thing....

Well dang, here is another one...I have 3 beautiful kids, divorcING.....if I want to date I am "looking for a daddy for my kids." or "looking for someone to pay my bills."

I have a degree, working on my masters and I work fulltime. I take care of my kids, just built a house last year and do not need someone to step in and "rescue me." I would like to meet someone who will be an active role in all of our lives but I am not looking for someone so I can quit everything I have (am) working for and become a leach! GET A CLUE!! There are some good women who have children who just want someone in their life! Mommies are still women!!!

OK....just shows you...there are stereotypes everywhere you look.
Peach Out
 andy in kw
Msg: 50
Posted: 8/10/2006 11:23:31 AM
Most people think that all pilots do is travel the world sightseeing and picking up stewardesses. It's just a job, granted one that keeps you away from home alot, but still just a job. Spent one night at any airport Delta or B W and tell me you wouldn't rather be at home. Most women can't or won't deal with the separation and I can't really blame them for that. What I'm very poorly stating is dating a pilot isn't for everyone you have to be independent by nature and both a trusting AND trustworthy person
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > I have a question regarding Airline Pilots and dating