Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > I have a question regarding Airline Pilots and dating      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Mafiachixrule
Msg: 126
I have a question regarding Airline Pilots and datingPage 6 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Don't prejudge or cast despair on a profession. This is obtuse behavior.
Consider the *typical* stereotype: Usually big drinkers, quick on the action/adventure and full of bull$hit. Not every pilot is like this, I'm sorry~ weak generalization. My cousin is a pilot and he has been happily married for years. Don't listen to all the crap. Make your own independent decisions based on logic not emotion. You always have a choice.
 vjr43
Msg: 127
view profile
History
I have a question regarding Airline Pilots and dating
Posted: 11/26/2008 10:16:27 PM
Most of us do base our decisions logically. And most of us have found out from personal experiences. I did not listen to any persons crap - I found out all on my own . And yes we have a choice - a choice to voice our opinion. Maybe you need to meet more pilots other than your cousin - or better yet - actually date one.!!!!!!
 vjr43
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2008 10:32:13 PM
Just an FYI - I never once stated or put down a pilots talent - or said anything to the affect of "comparing to driving a school bus" etc etc. I never once questioned a pilots talents or hard work. Also I only stated my one experience as it was a long one. Plus never went in to detail. Don't tell me you men don't make generalizations about blond women - like myself. I was a bartender for many years. Tell me you men don't make generalizations about us. And the one a dated for a long time maybe was an exception not the norm. But I have pilot friends, numerous flight attendants and still believe what I am saying. But there are many generalizations out there - which I am sure you particiapte in as well.
 vjr43
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2008 10:42:42 PM
And another thing to you people who are so offended about us staing our opinions of pilots. Thinking we judge from 1 experience. I was a bartender in a a bar for 14 years near an airport. I met many a pilot.... many who were married........ many who had girlfriends......... Do you think that made a difference to them ???????????? No!!!! You all just need to relax and realize you all generalize about other professions yourselves!!!!!!
 NoMexShrek
Msg: 130
Posted: 11/27/2008 8:56:48 AM
What airline are you calling the Captain or Chief Pilot "Big Dawg" at? One of those PFT outfits??

While CRM has changed the "Captain/Aircraft Commander is GOD" mindset, I would probably smack my 2P (military copilot) with a checklist or kneeboard if he called the Admiral "Big Dawg". Because while he may not get a talking to from the boss, I sure as hell will. It's just professionalism.

But yeah, there are few left from the old breed. But the ones you don't hear about are the men like my neighbor when I was growing up. Ex Naval Aviator, 747 Captain, never cheated on his wife, always brought her and kids to Paris, Frankfurt, etc whenever he could. Brought gifts back when he couldn't bring them.

Some single pilots will nail anything with two tits, a hole and a heartbeat. Pretty is a bonus. And strangely enough, there are non-pilots like that as well.
 Ron196741
Msg: 131
Posted: 11/27/2008 1:33:24 PM
You nailed it SAltySally, All you did was a sim session and then flew a LOL.."small" plane.
When you know a bit more of what flying is really about, then the rest of us will listen to you and maybe even take what you say with a grain of salt.
 altitudemonk
Msg: 132
Posted: 11/27/2008 8:01:52 PM
vjr43 wrote..
Just an FYI - I never once stated or put down a pilots talent - or said anything to the affect of "comparing to driving a school bus" etc etc. I never once questioned a pilots talents or hard work. Also I only stated my one experience as it was a long one. Plus never went in to detail. Don't tell me you men don't make generalizations about blond women - like myself. I was a bartender for many years. Tell me you men don't make generalizations about us. And the one a dated for a long time maybe was an exception not the norm. But I have pilot friends, numerous flight attendants and still believe what I am saying. But there are many generalizations out there - which I am sure you particiapte in as well.

Please read the post again. Nobody accused you to put down a pilot or made fun of you. That school bus response was to Bigmikes post. If you want to argue, please find something else negative that was said about you.
 altitudemonk
Msg: 133
Posted: 11/27/2008 8:13:06 PM
What airline are you calling the Captain or Chief Pilot "Big Dawg" at? One of those PFT outfits??

While CRM has changed the "Captain/Aircraft Commander is GOD" mindset, I would probably smack my 2P (military copilot) with a checklist or kneeboard if he called the Admiral "Big Dawg". Because while he may not get a talking to from the boss, I sure as hell will. It's just professionalism.

Hey NomexShrek,
I was talking about todays civilian airline pilots .
No more PFT outfits that exist any longer.
But when you or if you join the civilian rank ever, be ready to encounter that every day.
I was trained by ex navy Lt. Commander flew f-8 Crusader in NAM. He ingrained in us the professionalism from the day one. But after start flying 121 lines things has changed.
It's whole different ball game now.
 altitudemonk
Msg: 134
Posted: 11/27/2008 8:42:18 PM
And another thing to you people who are so offended about us staing our opinions of pilots. Thinking we judge from 1 experience. I was a bartender in a a bar for 14 years near an airport. I met many a pilot.... many who were married........ many who had girlfriends......... Do you think that made a difference to them ???????????? No!!!! You all just need to relax and realize you all generalize about other professions yourselves!!!!!!

Vjr43,
we get it. you were bartender for 14 years near an airport. And I've been flying 17 years. you seen many pilots being a dog. But thats not the the majority pilots went to your bar. You need to relax also. It seems to me you starting a flame war.
I work & talk with these guys everyday also. Not every pilots, majority of them, are not going to a bar to pick up girls to cheat on their loved ones. They are in their hotel rooms either on the phone or on the laptop. Eating fast food. Watching T.V.
Other then international overnights, now a days overnights are short in time.

One other thing, guys like me learned to accept the fact that I have my own faults.
I do not blame the business of law or my ex for my divorce. Infidelity was not the cause of my broken marriage. It was me that was stubborn in my marriage. Now I look in the mirror & I can blame myself. Because it was really me that caused for my divorce. But I've learned big time from the mistake.
But I'll no start a thread here by saying " Female Attorneys, do not date them, run other way. I was married to one. They are all dogs".
 ACURN
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2008 8:54:18 PM
I am a former Flight Attendant and flight nurse, was a Navy Corpsman in a fixed wing squadron, was married to an active duty flight crew Marine, and in my single years have known a few commercial airline pilots, a few corporate airline pilots, and have dated a few military helo pilots. So, I have been around the aviation community in some fashion most of my life. There are good and bad people who are pilots by profession, just like in anything else. I would not recommend anyone getting involved with a pilot who does not have strong self esteem and sense of security, because if you lack those, or have trust issues, then the nature of their job could cause issues even if there aint any issues! You have to be able to be independent. As a former military wife, I am used to being alone and self-sufficient, so I can handle someone with that kind of profession.
 _lalalala_
Msg: 136
Posted: 1/3/2009 4:02:06 PM
Well...I have many views on this. My last two boyfriends were Captains, coworkers, actually...I met the second while dating the first...
Before them, sure, I've dated several pilots...
I agree with some of the other comments on here...You cannot stereotype merely based upon profession, but yes, there are some commonalities...
For example, I am an RN...what I do for a living is a HUGE part of my personality. I am innately a nurturer..a caregiver..compassionate...jeez, I cry during that animal cruelty commercial! :)
There are some professions that draw people of the opposite nature...My career is very much a calling...I don't do it for the money..I don't do it for Glory, that is for damn sure..I do it because it makes my soul rich...
Often times, I think even the best people get full of themselves and think they are "better" than other people because of their paychecks....
However...with that said...the pilots are still "just men"..just like surgeons. At the end of the day..they, too, have been hurt..and burnt..they have had their hearts broken and carry emotional baggage just like most of us...
Maybe..just maybe..they are merely human....and it will take the true, passionate, sincere, devoted love of a really great woman...for them to climb down off their Sky-God pedestal...because again..at the end of the day...your wallet won't kiss you..or love you...or want you...
If a man is more interested in money than your love, than your heart...don't bother with him, regardless of his profession...
there..that is my two cents...
 lilsmittenkitten
Msg: 137
Posted: 2/1/2009 10:04:09 AM
It doesn't seem fair to associate arrogance with a certain profession. You will come across men in many lines of work who are like this (policemen, firemen, stockbrockers, athletes, coporate men and so fourth).
I don't think it has anything to do with the facts that these men are pilots. Yes, they are preforming a difficult job. However, that doesn't give them the right to demean or be cruel to others. If these women find that the men they are talking to them, are stuck up or what not. Just move on.. simple as that.
Sometimes confidence can be confused with arrogance.
Still that doesn't make it approrpriate for any person to not be respectful.

I dated an airline pilot before who flew all over. It was short lived, however, it didn't bother me he was away for long periods of time. I think what would bother me is if I happened to ever marry the man, if we had children. It would hurt me more for their father to be apart from them for, so long.

However, this is his job and the woman can't support him. Than, she definately shouldn't get involved. It can be quite stressful to date someone who is in a dangerous line of work. However, if I dated a man and it was what he loved to do, I would want him happy and would support him 100%.
 brian9333
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2009 9:53:21 AM
I'm not a pilot but I know more than a few of them. Are they arrogant? Yes they are. When they're in a group together it's off the charts
 it_gyrl
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2009 7:36:06 PM
I've dated a pilot, a doctor, a meteorologist, and one rich kid whose parents made all of the money..lol
Everyone I've dated has been humble, sweet, down to earth, funny, intelligent, etc.. I could go on.
As for pilot's schedules, I can empathize as I myself am often away from home for months at a time. It's hard for those in my life to accept that I'm home basically only 10 weeks out of the year. If anything, I'd undertsand if someone did not want to date a pilot for that reason, but bypassing them based on assumption of ego is something I can't wrap my head around.
Truth be told......... people of ANY profession can manifest obtuse, arrogant, and god-complex behaviour. Hell, I've seen people who work at MacDonalds think they are master chefs at a world class restaurant and behave as if they are king of the universe.
Why specifically point out a pilot? It's not the profession itself, it's the person who has chosen to have their occupation swell their heads.

I've said enough

Ciao!

L
 it_gyrl
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2009 7:37:54 PM
Oops.. McDonalds. ^^^
 tweetypilot
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2009 4:41:48 PM
Are you guys out there angry at chopper pilots too or just the airline pilots??? Cause we re men or women have a passion for our job too but doesnt mean that on my case at least I just want to find a good guy, have a family and a life down to earth.
Airline pilots are high maintenance? that s true for so many profession its ridiculous to say so but whatever !!
Good search everybody and if you have issues with pilots just don t date them there s lots of people out there so why bother??!!
 Valentinne
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2009 5:49:56 PM
I've had different experiences with pilots. One was a complete ass, one was a playboy and the other kind of geek. Basically, their profession made no difference in their personality. I think they would have been those things if they had been plumbers instead.
 medana
Msg: 143
Posted: 3/5/2009 6:31:01 PM
people have negative ideas about everything, includidng god, jesus, buddha and so on.

the right ones love us how we are, and the wrong ones are never satisfied and fish for flaws on anything and anyone.

generalizations are never more than just that - generalizations

and i know one thing abouts MOST people : most of us are misunderstood anyways
 Wild DNA
Msg: 144
Posted: 3/5/2009 6:55:44 PM
I have never dated a Pilot but I do have two of them as good friends. He is the sweetest man you will ever meet and yes his job is very demanding, so is his family! Not to mention the headaches they go through and the long hours they have to fly ...its crazy in the air. We don’t have a clue what they really go through. The other one is single and also a very nice man.

People that put in long hours and work under stressful conditions ie: Pilots, doctors, etc... We really don’t know what it’s like till we walk in their shoes. And there is always a woman that will be more than happy to date him regardless of their lifestyle and how much they are away or not. Some women like to have their space. I for one enjoyed it very much when my husband would go away on trips. So not all women like their man beside them 24/7

I thought we were to bring out the best in someone lol no?

They have my respect and more.
 Yankee_Girl
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2009 8:57:45 PM
Heck yeah I'd date a pilot. Those uniforms are hot.
 seaga
Msg: 146
Posted: 3/6/2009 12:13:01 AM
its not just pilots who are maybe that way..its most people who are in some "high rank/commanding" position in the work place or society....its the way it is
 Lilith_1
Msg: 147
Posted: 3/6/2009 4:48:19 AM
I think as with all professions there is good and bad everywhere! Personally the odd few Pilots I have come in contact with have been very charming and very, very handsome :)
 Spoken For
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2009 8:20:58 AM
Pilots don't deserve any more respect than the respect they earn, any more than anyone else does. Why would someone's profession entitle them to personal respect? It doesn't. I worked for an airline long enought to know that many of them DO think they are entitled to everyone bowing at their feet. And in my world, you get the respect you deserve as a human being, no more, and no less.
 altitudemonk
Msg: 149
Posted: 3/12/2009 11:02:18 PM
Lalalala & lilmiskitenmiten, Well said!
Thank you!!
 oowiee
Msg: 150
Posted: 3/13/2009 11:04:18 AM
Bigger Guy -- Right on! I too am one and it depends on the person. We all come from different backgrounds and sometime look at life from being jaded.
I always said I would not date flight attendants - then I did. Just a wrong choice and did not influence me about others.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > I have a question regarding Airline Pilots and dating