Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NatGoat
Msg: 233
HELP!!! Top 10 most aggressive dogs?????Page 10 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
I was SHOCKED . . when someone demonstrated an _Intense_ fear of . . COLLIES . . !!!
 camillia blossom
Msg: 235
view profile
History
HELP!!! Top 10 most aggressive dogs?????
Posted: 9/5/2007 11:37:55 AM
cape 2, you are wise beyond your years , you have been correct on all your points, I salute you. javascript:smilie('')
javascript:smilie('')
a study about play ground bully's , found that the kids who were bullies were the ones who felt the most insecure, they perceive the world as being more dangerous or threatening, than others do. So they strike out. they feel there defending them selves from some perceived danger or threat. They have higher levels of adrenalin, making them edgy, and more aggressive.
Just like dogs , if they feel insecure, there adrenalin goes up, they become edgy, aggressive and un predictable, and dangerous. this can happen WITH ANY BREED.
Learn what it takes to be a strong PACK LEADER SO YOUR PET WILL FEEL SECURE.
a big dog will NOT become depressed or sulk if it is not the alfa dog. It is hard wired to follow a set of rules. If we want them in our lives,and homes, WE have to understand their rules and play by there game, it's in all our best interest.
 camillia blossom
Msg: 237
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2007 7:01:45 PM
Ok .... Ah Hum...this is a bit,.. off topic but i sure could use some constructive advice.
I used to refer to my own back yard as a little piece if Eden, now im thinking about calling it my own piece of Sodom and Gomorrah.... here is why.
I have mature fruit trees, grapevines, a pool, its so very pleasent for man and beast.
I'm a big animal lover so i have two female cats, a little male Pomie, a male and female pair of ducks, and a white male rabbit that i inherited from some local kids, all running free in my back yard.
They all have been getting along fine with the exception of the dog and rabbit.
The rabbit kept trying to mate with my dog, who never bites, but the constant unwanted attention of the rabbit caused him to growl and snap at the rabbit . So the rabbit would hop around him again and again spraying him in the face with urine, until FINALLY, my dog placed a much deserved nip on the rabbits little cotton tail, cooling its passion some what but not completely.
I wasn't concerned when I observed my female duck preening my female cats, but to day OMG...My dog had mounted my male duck, and was humping away like crazy. and the duck just stood there. what the heck is going on here? Why are my pets suddenly acting so confused?
 prolibertate
Msg: 239
Posted: 9/28/2007 10:24:36 AM
People, don't continue passing on misinformation! A dog isn't aggressive because of what breed it is...It can get 'aggressive' due to what's been done to it; because of fear; because of not being able to get away from what it's frightened of; because people aren't recognizing the warning signs, etc. My God; there are tons of books on dogs out there that describe dog training, learning to read dog's signals, etc. Dogs *aren't* furry people or furry kids; they're dogs and they don't speak our language...we have to learn to read theirs...and once you do, you can have an exceptional relationship with your dog...and not ever let the word 'aggressive' cross your mind. Do yourself, and your dog, a favor and get educated on owning and training a dog using either the clicker method or another positive reinforcement method. Read Karen Pryor and Jan Fennell's books. Getting and having a dog isn't just a matter of finding one that's 'cute'.
 wodehousefan2
Msg: 241
Posted: 10/4/2007 4:51:05 PM
Chijuahuas bite most, followed by German Shepherds. No dog is aggressive if properly trained. I can make pit bulls faint at the sound of my voice if need be.
 wodehousefan2
Msg: 242
Posted: 10/4/2007 4:51:33 PM
Every dog is dangerous if it has not been properly trained.
 new2this79
Msg: 243
Posted: 10/16/2007 5:24:34 PM
http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf

Go to this link and this will give you run down of breeds and number of attacks. I have to say that I don't ever blame the breed I blame the owner and those who cross breed, I use to know a bull mastiff, who pasted away. He was protective of his home, but that is it. I currently own 135lb Bouvier and 15lb pug. Both are extremely loving dogs. My children climb all over them and they just lay there. I know Where my bouvier came from and met his whole family. The Pug on the other hand his history is a little shady but I have had both to professional trainers and they are both wonderful. Two of my children have been attacked by German Shepards and I have been attacked by Pits and Rotti's I don't think either breed is bad, I just think they had bad owners.
 new2this79
Msg: 244
Posted: 10/16/2007 5:30:23 PM
Prolibertate is that an great pyrenees?
 kscowboy32
Msg: 249
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2007 5:57:41 PM
blue or red heelers, australian shepards, pyrnesess. i had a half heeler half border collie and he was a calm quiete dog but looks and fool he could be aggressive. most dogs i have been around that were aggressive had to be with loyalty and territory. i warn certain dogs if they bite me i will bite them back and call their bluff and thats usually the end of things.
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 250
Posted: 2/3/2009 6:27:21 PM
My relatives upstairs adopted an AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG a year ago. That thing comes after me any chance it gets - slobbering, snarling, ferocious, and barking it's fool head off. I tried giving it treats, spraying it with vinegar, ignoring it, talking to it, etc. I think it's screwed up in the head and should be put down. My brother doesn't discipline it and says he's just being a guard dog and doing what comes natural. That I should just deal with it. He has bitten me before and drew blood. I'm a pianist and won't tolerate not being able to work because he can't discipline his dog. I love animals and have never had a dog act like this to me. Anyone else would kick their dog's azz for behaving like that, but since I'm family they think it's ok. I actually threatened to move out today. I really do HATE this dog. He has even bitten my brother. It's kept indoors all the time with nothing to do. He doesn't understand that he needs to control his dog. It will be someone else someday and he'll be prosecuted. This is why I love my cats who have never threatened anyone.
 ChocolateNutt
Msg: 254
Posted: 2/3/2009 8:28:09 PM
MissMewsic: I think the problem is probably that your brother's dog is not getting enough exercise and being given some sort of job to do. Australian Cattle Dogs along with Border Collies, Jack Russell Terriers, Blue Heelers and some others are considered working dogs. They're primary function is still being used: herding, guarding and hunting, so their instincts and drives are very strong. These breeds are known to be distructive and problematic when not given something to focus on--lots of exercise, a sport, etc.

Often, if the animal is given more exercise or joins something like agility or flyball, the problem behaviours disappear.

Good luck,

Nutt
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 255
Posted: 2/3/2009 8:52:21 PM
Thanks ChocolateNutt,
I read up on these kinds of dogs. My brother and his wife are a retired couple who are not that active and don't believe in keeping a dog outside. He sits and watches TV all day and only lets the dog out to go potty. They have another dog which is small and they are constantly fighting (the dogs) upstairs. They blame it on the little dog. I think it is absolutely insane that they chose this dog at the shelter without researching it more first. They make horrible indoor family pets. You know the strange thing is, he has gotten around my cats before and he is fine with them. I think I will need to find another place to live to find some peace and keep from getting my 22 rifle or a leather riding crop and teach the dog a lesson he won't forget. The way this dog comes at me just sets me into a defensive rage and I'm afraid I may have to hurt him to stop him. I really hate to say that and I would never want to hurt my brother's dog. I know he loves that dog but he won't discipline him. He thinks yelling the word no is discipline but to the dog it's just noise. There are no consequences when he acts aggressively. I love animals but I refuse to take abuse. I have children coming here for piano lessons 4 days a week - it's just a matter of time I think. He needs to stop defending the dog's behavior.
 gjay1
Msg: 258
Posted: 2/5/2009 12:33:14 AM
missmewsic....i cant believe your brother thought that was a suitable dog to sit around inside with..... they need to be out and getting plenty 0f exercise, and at least as important, if not more , occupying their considerable brains!! youre really going to have to be the alpha dog here.....if he wont train it, its worth you doing it since you also have to live with it!! btw australian cattle dog/heeler - same dog - reds or blues , and my daughter has a red, who is the most beautiful dog, entirely trustworthy, play companian to kids with disabilities,well supervised of course, and sooooo well trained!!

she also had a rottie , who was just gorgeous, and never hurt anyone, (although i imagine anyone hurting my daughter might have told a different story-then the dog would have to beat me there though!) my dog is a short haired border collie, only young, a little nuts, but plenty of exercise makes him easier to live with lol he is not aggressive , the cats have him firmly under control
 NocturnalPrincess
Msg: 262
Posted: 4/19/2009 8:17:22 AM
Any dog can be aggressive. The insurance companies base their lists upon the ones that can do the most damage!

Define aggressive! Chihuahuas are very mean little dogs!

Check out the youtube videos of the one year-old girl playing with the Rottweiler. They are precious!

It is about both breeding and the way they are raised!

If a Pit Bull attacks, it isn't pretty. They are distinctly powerful. Rotts and Huskys and Shepherds are not far behind. But they are all labelled as aggressive. They are all intelligent dogs! Also, most dogs that are bred properly (PLEASE DO NOT ENCOURAGE PUPPY MILLS) and raised with affection will be great dogs.

I do not think that anyone's dog should be unsupervised, because as their owner, you become their handler, and you have a huge responsibility.

I just got bit breaking up a fight between an aggressive unneutered Bassett Hound and a timid Llaso Apso. They were left unsupervised and I was monitoring.

My opinion is that ANY dog can be aggressive, and you do not ban the breed but you scrutinize the individual dog. Sadly, the owners are to blame, and the dogs are the victims. The dogs get put down, and the owners just go out and get other dogs.

Just as some people (though I guess this would be illegal) should be banned from breeding more children that they are not taking care of, there are many people that should have a ban on being able to adopt animals.
 NocturnalPrincess
Msg: 263
Posted: 4/22/2009 8:05:01 AM
There has been a man at the hospital that after he got arrested for B&E had infections from dog bites which resulted in a police hospital detail. This man was mauled by a chihuahua!

Again, he was mauled by a chihuahua.

He wasn't a child; he was a man. But he could go out and commit crimes, yet not defend himself from a chihuahua.
 Bfriends4now
Msg: 265
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2009 5:58:33 PM
a Presa Canario killed a woman in Calif. a few years ago. This is awful, all that was left of her was the top of her head and the bottom of her feet. recently a toddler in Tampa Fl. at a picnic was bit by fire ants and reacted in pain, so the relative's pitbull attacked the child. in Miami, where they cannot do anyting right, pitbulls are unlawful. Of course, how is a pitbull accuratley defined? Unfortunatley, in Ft. Lauderdale there is no such ordinance

I will stick with my 100 lb Golden Retriever. Hero would not bite you if you bit him first. I was thinking next of a retired greyhound racer, beautiful dogs. And rescuing dogs lately is a new and important matter
 edmonfella
Msg: 266
Posted: 4/30/2009 7:30:11 PM
The fact of the matter is, no matter how vicious, well behaved, misunderstood, or maligned certain dogs are.
I would rather be "attacked" 10 times... maybe even at the same time by a tiny aggressive dog (such as a chihuahua or beagle) than be actually attacked by a pit bull.

I can fight off a small aggressive dog and probably not a muscular large dog.

Human toddlers are more prone to bite people than adults.
But, would you rather have a 2 year old chomp down on your finger or a 30 year old 250# aggressive man?
 barbee1970
Msg: 267
Posted: 4/30/2009 10:59:24 PM
True. I have a pit bull mix who never hurt anybody. But yet every summer she gets attacked during waalks from loose LABS!!

Everyone wants a Lab or Golden, but it is all in the way people train them.

I wouldn't mind a Cane Corso(Italian Mastiff I always mistake for a pit bull.)

Media sensationalizes certain breeds. True they would not assume a Black or Hispanic man is bad, why do it with dogs? People get these dogs cause they are easy to train however they want, if it means illegal dog fighting
 royalbtch
Msg: 268
Posted: 5/1/2009 3:26:05 PM
We had a chiuaua named Mighty Might that would attack anything!
 NocturnalPrincess
Msg: 269
Posted: 6/10/2009 9:13:52 AM
I have a vicious, aggressive Rottweiler. He is well socialized, good with children, and all of the neighbors know him.
I can joke with the neighbors and say attack, because all that means to him is to go and say hello. He is strong-willed and not the most obedient, but he is a good dog and the antithesis of violent and aggressive.
PetFinder.com has a link to explore breeds before you adopt.
I am an advocate of rescues over breeders, and they have plenty of young dogs.
 chameleonf
Msg: 270
Posted: 6/10/2009 10:46:05 AM
I've had two Dobes and two Rotts over the past 30 years and now a yellow lab. Of the three, the Dobes are the most "nervous", the lab is the most goofy (highly intelligent) but the Rotts are my choice of dog all around. They are powerhorses. Niether was aggressive unless they themselves sensed any real danger and even then they wouldn't attack. They'd do the Rott stomp with raised hackles and lowered heads, which was enough to do the trick. One was a Canadian All Breed Obedience champ. They are incredibly pleasurable dogs. You do have to let them know who's the pack leader from the get go, but you do with all dogs. It's just incredibly important with the large breeds. As with most large dogs, Rotts are prone to hip displasia and that's more often than not the reason for their ultimate demise, not because they're being put down in droves because of aggressive behaviour.
 Super Ryan
Msg: 272
Posted: 4/22/2010 3:56:58 AM

looks like a mini doberman (can't think of the breed name)

Probably a miniture pinscher.
http://www.my-doberman.com/miniature-doberman-pinschers.html
 m14shooter
Msg: 276
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2010 4:38:56 AM

Para de Presa Canarios

Just be very happy there are not too many of these around

They eat Rottweilers etc for breakfast

I have spent a lot of time around this breed. They are actually great dogs. Friend breeds them and has several small children. They are beyond good with the kids. If you are known to the family they show no aggression, if you just walk up they will bark. The case in frisco that put these dogs on the map was from a nutjob lawyer of a white supremacist that was breeding the dogs to kill.
 yin4yang43
Msg: 277
Posted: 7/6/2011 6:54:26 PM
There is no such thing as a "most aggressive" breed. Dogs have been bred for specific purposes for centuries. The Doberman was bred by a German Tax Collector in the late 1800's to protect him from being robbed, while doing his job. The Rottweiler is believed to go back to roman dogs who were serving to guard and pull carts and perform all sorts of jobs for their human keepers. There is such a history for every breed and although some of them were selected for their high drive to guard and protect, none of them are aggressive by nature. Dogs are highly social animals and when raised appropriately and responsibly dogs of any breed can be wonderful therapy-dogs!
Every story of people being harmed by domestic dogs goes back to owners that have them for questionable reasons or sometimes simply are completely ignorant.
Our picture of "the good dog" is one of "Lassie" and "Rin Tin Tin" and a figment of human imagination. It is highly unfair to put such expectations on an animal, especially if one isn't willing to invest the time to train this dog to understand what is expected of him.
Nevertheless, dogs have saved our lives millions of times and more often protected us from harm than caused harm to us!
In our times, there is NO excuse for ignorance. There is wonderful information about how to choose the right dog and how to make him/her a pleasure to be around, even for strangers! This information is no longer unattainable or expensive.
I copied the article 'difficultone04' posted on the first page! That was fantastic and to the point!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 278
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2011 10:26:28 PM
I had a long string of Dobermans ... one Dobie/Great Dane mix ... a Boxer ... a Rottweiler ... a Lab/Pit Bull mix ... and a couple Chows ...

the Dobies were yappers ... one was dognapped TWICE ... the Boxer absolutely loved and adored EVERYONE ... I absolutely could NOT keep the Rott in ... she was forever taking off ... a wild free spirit! ... the Lab/Pit Bull looked like a huge white Pit Bull w/black spots but had a totally friendly Lab personality ... he never barked but he'd love on you forever! he may have been the most intelligent ... but ... the Chows were my favorites ...

you always know where you stand with a Chow ... very communicative critters ... the male LOVED and adored all the children in the neighborhood ... little kids about 10 years and younger flocked into my house to pet him ... little kids could sit on him ... pull his ears ...

anyone older was expected to play by the Chow's rules ... "don't get between me and my humans!" was about rule #1 ... "don't get anywhere NEAR the baby or touch her!" was important ... "don't enter the house when MY humans aren't home!"

when he growled, the "grrrr" came out on his in-breath as well as his out-breath ... very impressive! I came home once and discovered the Chow had trapped my ex-husband in the garage and wouldn't let him out! served him right for snooping around in my house when I wasn't home!

I'm older now and have a Pomeranian ... what a learning curve for me!

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >