Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bulldog1966
Msg: 135
HELP!!! Top 10 most aggressive dogs?????Page 3 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
When I was a kid, I was attacked by an English Bulldog, which grabbed my foot, pulled me off my bicycle, then laid down on the sidewalk and immediately fell asleep. I thought it had had a heart attack.
 tralala
Msg: 137
view profile
History
HELP!!! Top 10 most aggressive dogs?????
Posted: 6/27/2006 3:18:55 PM
the "ankle biters" are the worst
 AnnudderVoice
Msg: 138
Posted: 6/27/2006 4:08:48 PM
I've almost broken myself of that habit.

Annudder
 Ratero-park-man
Msg: 140
Posted: 6/27/2006 10:55:07 PM
Good question, well I would say (as of late on teh news and what has been going on) maybe the pitbull is KNOWN for it's ferociousness. But I think a Rottweiler and German Shepard and even a Husky and Dobermen, if you get them mad , LOOK OUT. It depends some dogs that cops use are also ferocious and are well trained to do their job. Also some dogs in Europe and Asian and other continents where the attitude towards them is different or even hostile , they can be pretty mean too because you get out of them what you give to them.

So it all depends.

I assume we are NOT including Hyenas and wolves or else they would obviously be the meanest and most agressive for obvious reasons.
 boxman
Msg: 141
Posted: 7/3/2006 12:05:30 PM
Gawd, I don't think I've ever seen so many misspelled words in one thread. Come on folks. You are dog people. at least try and seem semi-literate. Easy words like "Siberian" and "inbreeding"should come naturally. And I have a red-nose bull who's as good a boy as any father could want. Bad dogs are a product of bad owners.
 Gorshkov
Msg: 142
Posted: 7/5/2006 5:10:47 AM
Dogo Argentino.

Picture a pitbull almost the size of a Great Dane.

IIRC, They were originally bred to hunt down escaped prisoners in Argentena.

Anytime I've seen them at a dog show they've been kept in a seperate, fenced-in area.

It would eat a pitbull - or any of the other dogs here - for lunch. Literally.
 Gorshkov
Msg: 143
Posted: 7/5/2006 5:18:21 AM

why blame the pitbull? I do not blame huskies or goldens, but statistically they are alot more likely to kill a child than a pitbull.....you cant argue this, its fact. Stat wise anyways, of course you can break it down to bad dogs and bad owners...which I believe is the case...but this is what I have had to deal with with my dogs in ontario. I do not think any dog should be banned, I think people should be responsible for their dogs regardless of breed.

What you said is wrong on sooooooooo many levels - and you obviously have no understanding of how statistics work.

Let's say for the sake of argument that goldens bite 10 times as many children as pitbulls. (I'm pulling the numbers out of my ass - I'm not sure of the exact statistics). That doesn't mean that they're 10 times more dangerous, because there's 50 or 100 times more goldens out there as there are pitbulls.

Some breeds ARE worse than others - that's why they're different breeds. They all have different purposes. Some are smart - some are dumb. Some have great noses, some have great eyesight. Some are great at herding, and some excell at getting that #@($&#@$* gopher by crawling into the hole after it.

And yeah, some breeds - like the pitbull - are mean. They are unpredictable by nature, they are overly agressive by nature, and they are easy to anger by nature. They are very owner-centric, but unpredictable in their behaviour to ANYBODY else.

A good owner can train a pitbull to minimise the risk, but you can't train away the genetics - regardless of how well it's trained, its still a dangerous animal.
 Majestic_Lizard_Returns
Msg: 147
Posted: 7/6/2006 1:36:01 PM
The statistical reality, based on actual data taken by doctors and law enforcement concerning dog bites puts crossbred animals at the top of the list as they are responsible for roughly half of all bites and dog attacks. These animals are more likely to have an unstable temperment. They are also representative of the majority of strays.

The next most aggressive animal is the German Shephard. By this I mean that the second largest percentage of bites are attributable to this animal.

And sorry all you Lab lovers, but after the German Shephard the most aggressive is the Labrador Retriever. I know its hard to believe because so many of us have known labs that were total sweeties. The thing about Labs is while they are extremely affectionette they are just as protective of their territory and their owners as they are affectionette.

Next on the list are Terriers and from there the list starts to include the smaller dogs that are not really capable of doing much damage to people such as Dachsunds, Poodles, and so on.

Last on a list of about 20 breeds are the Doberman Pincers, The Rottweilers, and the Pitt Bulls. Yet when it comes to serious injuries, or the extremely unusual fatality, these last three are the most likely culprits. So its not that these dogs are such vicious animals, its that when they actually attack people they are more likely to gravely injure them than the other breeds.

So the politicians really are full shi t.
 Gorshkov
Msg: 149
Posted: 7/7/2006 7:29:39 PM
Kootie - it was years ago, but what you said seems to match what I remember.

I got my information while talking to a breeder at the Ottawa Kennel Club Dog Show a few years ago, when they had a specialty show for the breed - I think there were about 20 of them there.

The "Police Work" is a little understated - I was told at the time that they were used by prison guards to hunt down escaped convicts ..... which had the dual effect of a) sparing the state the expence of having them charged for another jailbreak, and b) discouraging a lot of breakouts in the first place :-)
 Gorshkov
Msg: 150
Posted: 7/7/2006 7:35:34 PM

One really should do a little unbiased research, before making such unfounded and ill-informed statements.

I have. All you have to do is look at what the dog was bred for (ALL fighting dogs are agressive by nature - it's a requirement). Look at the statistics.

Your dog may be a "****" .... but he's not typical of the breed, any more than a golden retreiver attacking children is typical of THAT breed.

All dogs breed were developed for specific purposes, and their genetics make them tend to act in a certain way. Training can to a large extent compensate for those characteristics, but it can't *eliminate* them.

Statistics apply, by definition, to populations, NOT to individuals. Your dog may be fine (which I don't necessarily believe), but the breed AS A WHOLE is very dangerous. You can't deny genetics.

And by the same token, you can't take your dogs behaviour and assume that IT is typical of the breed.
 Majestic_Lizard_Returns
Msg: 153
Posted: 7/8/2006 1:19:21 PM
Actually, next to crossbred dogs German Shepards are responsible for more dog attacks than other breeds. This isn't an unfair bad rap. Its a statistical reality. You can verify this without too much difficulty.

Adversely, Pit Bulls and Doberman Pinchers are statistically at the bottom of the list when it comes to attacks. The problem is that when animals like Pit Bulls do attack people its more notable because the people are critically injured or killed. One of the main reasons I disagree about Pit Bulls being so aggressive is that they have no need to be. They have a natural facility for calm tactical appraisal. A Pitt Bull isn't afraid of you because he knows intuitively how to end your life in less than twenty seconds. When I volunteered at an animal shelter several years back it was the Pitt Bulls that were the best behaved animals out of all the dogs. The employees liked these animals more than the rest, but it was sad because people would not adopt them due to biased nonsense you hear about.

One of the most aggressive dogs in my experience is the Yorkshire Terrier. I have been attacked by these things on four different occasions and accidentally killed one when I was 14. It attacked me as I was riding my bike and would not let go of my ankle and got caught in my back tire and was crushed. Hey, it came out of nowhere. But do Yorkies get a bad rep? No. Because you get attacked by a Yorkie, the worst case scenerio is that you accidentally kill the little rat and the owner sues you. No one has ever been critically injured by a Yorkshire terrier or any other such rat-dog.

The only time I have been attacked by a Doberman it was due to the fact that there were two Dobermans in a set. One of them spent alot of time with me and was essentially my best pal. The other one was jealous and tried to kill me. Guess which one was the bitch?
 Ratero-park-man
Msg: 155
Posted: 7/8/2006 4:51:35 PM
I always wanted to get a boxer. They are hard working and good dogs. I also like huskies. I would have to say that the German Shepards are the best trained and disciplines dogs, not the pitbull!!@ Majestic Lizard Man

thats my opinion. But there are many types can be arrgressive and it depends on then owner and environment, it's upbringing and the skills it's taught not to mention it's moods and the individual personalities of each.
 rainbowfishh
Msg: 156
Posted: 7/8/2006 5:40:42 PM
I'd say chow is the most aggressive
generally as a breed.

I dont care for how they look much...

those little yappy dogs.. sometimes just mutts
can be aggressive too
 Majestic_Lizard_Returns
Msg: 157
Posted: 7/12/2006 9:16:22 AM
Chows are aggressive. I knew someone that had a Pit Bull and his neighbors' Chow was always harassing it. One day the Pitt Bull was tied to a tree in the back yard and the Chow leaped the fence and decided to take advantage of what if must have presumed was a tactical disadvantage for the Pit Bull (Chow must have thought it would be easier to attack the Pit when the Pit was tied up).

The Pit Bull ran around the Chow and wrapped the chain around its neck and killed it. Moral of the story is keep your dog in your yard.
 bulldog1966
Msg: 158
Posted: 7/13/2006 7:33:02 PM
This is hilarious! I take my pits for a walk every morning, between 5 and 6 am, before I leave for work.
This morning, half a block from my house, my 4 yr old, 80lb male pitbull was attacked by a CHIHUAHUA!
This is probably a surprise for many people, but not likely to be for knowlegeable pitbull owners, the chihuahua survived. Buck knows what he can do, has nothing to prove, and has never killed another dog. He merely let it come, and when it got close enough, he stepped on it, and held it down till it screamed. When he let it up, unharmed except for some (very likely )bruised ribs, it ran faster than any chihuahua I've ever seen.
Ten minutes earlier, he ran down and caught a raccoon in the park, so it's not like he doesn't have what it takes, he just knows the difference between prey and dogs.
So much, also, for the myth about how a dog who tastes blood will turn vicious.
 bulldog1966
Msg: 159
Posted: 7/15/2006 10:57:20 PM
Pitbulls seem to be a "Love 'em or hate 'em" breed. Yes, they were bred to be fighting dogs, but that was THREE HUNDRED YEARS AGO. Try to keep it in perspective, people.

A pitbull is not a dog for a novice dog owner. Every pitbull website, every pitbull book and every pitbull breeder out there will tell you that. They ARE NOT evil killing machines. They ARE a smart, stubborn and VERY STRONG dog, with a lot of enthusiasm and a strong prey drive. They are a TERRIER, which means literally "earth dog". Natural born hunters, fighting came later. If you have never had an adult pitty on the other end of a leash, you will be amazed at just how strong they are, far more than you might expect for a dog of this size. Proper training and socialization is a must.
Do it right, you have a great dog. Do it wrong, or don't do it, you're going to have a problem.
 grizzelda
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2006 5:41:33 PM
Boxers???
I dont have any stats but I cannot believe that this breed is an "aggresive" dog!!
Having had many dogs, mixes, Dobes, and Boxers. They are the least aggresive and the most affectionate. They take a hit because of their "look"

To whoever said they wanted a boxer. Get one. They are great dogs. But be warned they are not a sit around the living room dog. They want to be with you where ever you are LOL.
Thye dont live too long 10 years and can have many health issues but all in all a great breed.

It all comes down to the owners. You get what you put into it. We had the best behaved dogs and we got all the comments on it. If you arent willing to put in the time and effort into a dog you shouldnt have one. I dont care what breed, big or small!
 JulietJuliet
Msg: 165
Posted: 10/31/2006 6:54:36 AM
American Pit bulls
Chiowas (oh jeez, i can't spell them, but you know the ones) Little dogs that think they are huge.
Rotties
Blue heelers
Dingo's
Shitzu's
Huskies
German shepherds
Doberman's
Dalmations
Well that's 11, so i could omit German sheppards.
 papuse9
Msg: 166
Posted: 10/31/2006 7:00:41 AM
The female chihuahua is one of the most aggresive dogs.
 rare_treasure
Msg: 167
Posted: 10/31/2006 10:36:39 AM
i have a killer boston terrier named redginald , if he wont get ya i will

dont beware of the dog beware of the owner! ........ hee hee hee
 Majestic_Lizard_Returns
Msg: 168
Posted: 10/31/2006 11:04:53 AM
Juliet:
American Pit bulls
Chiowas (oh jeez, i can't spell them, but you know the ones) Little dogs that think they are huge.
Rotties
Blue heelers
Dingo's
Shitzu's
Huskies
German shepherds
Doberman's
Dalmations
Well that's 11, so i could omit German sheppards.

Nope. That is a list you made up of dogs that you think are scary. I already posted what were the most aggressive breeds based on statistical surveys conducted using hospitals and the police as a source in the late 90's.

A dingo isn't a breed of dog. Its an Austrialian wild dog. It is classified as a different subspecies than domesticated dogs because over the centuries it has actually developed into a distinct animal.

Most of the dogs you list aren't really that aggressive, they are simply powerful and territorial. The most aggressive dogs tend to be the smaller breeds, they just aren't dangerous because they lack power.

The most dangerous breed of dog are mixed bred animals. Please ask a veterinarian before you go posting your nonsense lists because some people might take you seriously. These animals don't need to be alienated and discriminated against any more than they already are. Next are the German Shephards. The dogs on your list don't even make the top five!

From my post:
The statistical reality, based on actual data taken by doctors and law enforcement concerning dog bites puts crossbred animals at the top of the list as they are responsible for roughly half of all bites and dog attacks. These animals are more likely to have an unstable temperment. They are also representative of the majority of strays.

The next most aggressive animal is the German Shephard. By this I mean that the second largest percentage of bites are attributable to this animal.

And sorry all you Lab lovers, but after the German Shephard the most aggressive is the Labrador Retriever. I know its hard to believe because so many of us have known labs that were total sweeties. The thing about Labs is while they are extremely affectionette they are just as protective of their territory and their owners as they are affectionette.

Next on the list are Terriers and from there the list starts to include the smaller dogs that are not really capable of doing much damage to people such as Dachsunds, Poodles, and so on.

Last on a list of about 20 breeds are the Doberman Pincers, The Rottweilers, and the Pitt Bulls. Yet when it comes to serious injuries, or the extremely unusual fatality, these last three are the most likely culprits. So its not that these dogs are such vicious animals, its that when they actually attack people they are more likely to gravely injure them than the other breeds.

So the politicians really are full shi t.

So if you are going to make a list it would look more like this:
1) Crossbreeds (50% of all attacks)
2) German Shepards (roughly 10% to 20% of all attacks)
3) Labs (roughly 4% to 8% of all attacks)
4) Various breeds of Terriers (about 5%; instead of listing them seperately I lumped them together)
5) Dachsunds
6) Poodles
7) Chows
8) Rottweilers
9) Pitt Bulls
10) Doberman Pincers

The difference is that big dogs can hurt you and they look scary. If you aren't in the habbit of breaking into people's homes you probably don't have to worry about having your throat torn out by a Pitt Bull.

However, for criminals they are a serious occupational hazard. Murderers, rapists, and thieves should probably contact their local Congressman to have all of these exceptional home protectors exterminated on the basis of endangering perpetrators of felony larseny, kidnapping, assault, and rape.

Raccoons who raid garbage cans would also argue that Pitt-Bulls are an unnecessary occupational hazard (if they could communicate). Unfortunately, they cannot speak or represent themselves legally. So raccoons, armadillos, and other rodent-like creatures will continue to be maimed and slaughtered until we can exterminate these large dog breeds.
 Agapantha
Msg: 169
Posted: 10/31/2006 1:59:14 PM
any dog can be taught to be aggressive. you should treat all animals with respect.

I've been bitten a few times and I know that it can happen, I respect them for it, and it can be with any breed. Never been attacked, just warned, that's all it is. just the nature of what I do and the fact that I work with some dogs who have been seriously traumatized.

I'd take a look at their guardians before I'd go blaming the dogs.

Lists like this are stereotypes based on fear most of the time. Heck, I have a terrier, they play rough. she's sweet and cute and kind and cuddly but she has the potential to bite and attack. they all do.
 herselftheelf
Msg: 170
Posted: 10/31/2006 6:26:45 PM
Wow... this is the funniest bunch of uneducated, backwater, piece of crap opinions I've EVER read on here. And that's saying something.

See message 22 for a realistic look at dog "stereotypes".

I like how some of these people say "ooh ooh look at the statistics"- have any of you taken a statistics course?? Do you even know where those originated or what kind of biases those statistics might have?? For Christ's sake people- think a little critically please.

France banned many "aggressive" breeds- so you know what people did?? They imported Barbary apes for protection- sharper teeth, longer limbs- they were FAR more dangerous- especially trained as "watchdogs"... than any dog was.

I've had chow chow's, Labs, dacshounds, mutts and boston terriers throughout my life. I'm planning on getting a Doberman (But when I do- I will NOT get it's tail docked or ears cropped- that way the zealots who see my dog will not instantly see "death monster" because it doesn't have the "look"...). NONE and I mean none of my dogs have been aggressive to anyone or anything that wasn't aggressive to them first. In fact, my Quaker Parakeet is far more aggressive.

In fact for the people who are quoting children getting bit- why in the hell are people letting their children alone with other people's dogs?? Where are the parents??

It's how the dog is trained- I'm not denying dogs have different personalities and if I DID have a dog that had a personality that was aggressive or prone to attacking- I would have it put to sleep immediately. But I do believe it's all about how the individual dog is raised, taught and trained. Getting an animal is a lifetime commitment and requires the dedication likened (financially and timewise) to raising a child- anything less and you shouldn't own a dog. Period. Abused dogs will be dangerous- and people who abuse dogs should be banned, not the dogs.

Have any of you heard of schtuzhund training??

It all boils down to whether or not you believe in nature or nurture. Any dog COULD be trained to be aggressive- like my neighbour's annoying shitzu- but on that note- a TRAINED guard/attack dog is exactly that. Trained. And probably much more behaved than most dogs... It's all about education. Check the Canada Safety council website-- it's all about EDUCATION- if you're worried about a dog, then stay the hell away from it.

Saying a Doberman or a Pitbull is aggressive and should be banned is akin to saying ----insert something blatantly racist here----. I'm just saying.
 summerbout
Msg: 171
Posted: 10/31/2006 6:49:40 PM
Dogs are not born agressive. They are taught to be so. Any dog can be raised with gentleness and love and be gentle. It is how you train your dog. I have a Siberian Husky and a German Shepard, and I saw different people mention both of these breeds as aggresive. They are not, they are sweet dogs. I am not saying my Shepard doesnt take her job as watch dog seriously, but if trained well , they will not go after anyone, unless told to. Dogs are trained by people, and if that person wants an agressive dog, that is what they are going to have. If they want a good dog, then they can train it right to be a good dog. Ofcourse some dogs are more aggressive than others, because nobody took the time to train the dog properly. Watch the dog whisperer, (Ceasar Millan ) he is a dog expert, and he will show you even the most "aggresive" breed can be trained to be gentle. For those who get the National Geographic tv station.
All you have to do with your dog is to establish "leader of the Pack" status, and he or she will look to you for their behavior and command. It takes time and work, but they can be taught to be very social.
 bulldog1966
Msg: 172
Posted: 10/31/2006 8:30:42 PM
This may sound crazy, but it's perfectly true, ask a vet. Want a guard animal better at it's job than any dog? Get a pig. They're trainable, scared of absolutely nothing, very tough, and can be vicious as hell under the right circumstances.
Also, if we're talking about a big one, it would take something close to a miracle to be able to kill one with a handgun before it removed your leg.
Once enough of the so called "bad people" figure this out, pigs will become the next "badass" pet.
In twenty five years of breeding and training pitbulls, I've heard an incredible amount of garbage, from simple mis-information to outright stupidity. Here's some of the best:

Myth #1. A pitbull's brain never stops growing, and will eventually out-grow it's skull, thus making the dog into an evil killing machine.
Truth #1. If this actually happened, to a pitty or any other dog, the pressure would kill the animal.

Myth #2. Pitbulls can lock their jaws.
Truth #2. Absolutely false. I asked four different vets, one of whom X-rayed my own dog's jaws and the jaws of a beagle who happened to be in the office to have his ear stitched up. Absolutely no difference in jaw structure whatsoever.

Myth # 3. Once a pitbull tastes blood, he'll become an evil killing machine.
Truth # 3. Also not true. I've watched my own dogs, and those of many other people, catch rabbits, cats, squirrels, groundhogs, possums, raccoons, whatever else was around, then come and lick their owners faces. They've just done one of the things nature intended dogs to do, and are unchanged by it. This is no different from saying that once someone has had sex for the first time, they'll automatically become a serial rapist.

Myth # 4. Pitbulls are vicious watchdogs
Truth # 4. Most pitbulls make horrible watchdogs. As a general rule, they think everyone is their friend, and want everyone they meet to play with them.

Get a clue people. Stop listening to politicians, there's not a politician in the world who'll let the truth stand in the way of getting re-elected.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >