Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rainskiss
Msg: 119
HELP!!! Top 10 most aggressive dogs?????Page 3 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
I run a domestic animal group as well as a exotic pet group so I thought this might be useful or some of you may find it interesting. This is what my groups came up with as the top 10, but under that is a listing of what CBS news reporter, Debbye Turner came up with.

1.) Pitt Bulls
2.) Sharpies
3.) Chows
I would also include a great number of the Mastiff breeds...The (4.)Cane Corso and the 5.)Caucasian Owtcharka are two of the largest and very unstable mastiff breeds.
6.) Rotweillers
7.) Doberman
8.) Akita
9.) German Shepards1
10.) Rhodesian Ridgebacks

``````````````````````````````````````````````

Potentially aggressive breeds:
Llasa Apso: can be cranky with kids
Toy poodles: bite out of self defense
Dachsunds: not very patient
Rhodesian Ridgebacks: very dominant breed
Miniature Pinschers: "big dog" mindset in little body
Pekinese: intolerant
Chihuahuas: prefer adults, not tolerant of kids
Chow Chow: one-person dogs, bite without warning
Giant Schnauzers: very dominant breed, will even challenge adults
Old English Sheep Dog: very protective of owner
Cocker Spaniel: very protective of owner
Rottweilers: very protective

Typically gentle breeds that have "bad boy" reputations:
German Shepherd: great with kids
Bulldog: gentle, playful
Rottweilers: can be gentle, affectionate
Great Danes: gentle, affectionate
Boxers: good with kids
Mastiffs-very docile

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/07/10/earlyshow/contributors/debbyeturner/main514774.shtml

Aggressive Dogs

TYPES OF AGGRESSION

Displacement
Dominance
Fear-Elicited
Intra-Male
Intra-Species
Maternal
Object Possessive
Pain-Elicited
Predatory
Territorial

DOG BITE STATISTICS

Dogs don't become aggressive overnight. In many cases, there is "handwriting on the wall", weeks, months, or even years prior to a dog's first serious bite. Unfortunately, many dog owners do not realize that warning signs such as growling, snapping or "nipping", often escallate into biting behavior over time.

How many dogs exist in the United States?

Approx. 52 Million
Bite Statistics
There is an average of 12 to 15 fatal dog bites per year in the U.S.
Bite wound sites:
Face, hands and/or arms account for most bite wound sites.
Face: 44,000 facial injuries a year (in the U.S.)

Which dogs bite the most?

Male dogs (8 out of 10)
Unneutered male dogs (6 out of 10)
Neutered male dogs (2 out of 10)
Usually the family pet

Who gets bitten the most?

Children under 10 yrs. old. (This is especially true of severe and fatal dog bites.
More boys get bitten than girls.
Elderly people account for the next most frequent percentage of severe and fatal dog bites after children.

What to do if your dog is aggressive towards other people:

Remove rose-colored glasses.
Enlist the help of an experienced dog trainer or behaviorist. Fast.
Take all necessary steps to prevent your dog from biting someone.
Get Liability insurance.

Preventive Steps For Dog Owners
Research breeds thoroughly. (Both purebred and mixed breed dogs can make wonderful pets.)
Adopt or purchase your puppy or dog carefully. If you purchase a pure-bred dog, find a reputable breeder. (Avoid pet stores and puppy outlets of any kind when looking for a puppy.)
Read several good dog training books [See our Recommended Book List].
Keep your dog leashed at all times when on public properly
(except when supervised in a dog run or dog park).
Never let your dog roam throughout the neighborhood.
Hire a reputable dog trainer, or enlist your puppy in a good group obedience class.
Socialize your puppy early on with LOTS of new people.
Start training your puppy early on, using a humane training method.
Neuter/spay your dog when s/he is between 6 and 7 mths. of age.
Never tie your dog outdoors or in front of a store unsupervised.
Never allow anyone to tease, mishandle or abuse your puppy or dog.
Learn to recognise pre-aggression warning signs.

Learn about canine body language.

Don't make excuses for your dog's aggressive behavior.
(Only pain or fear-illicited aggression is a valid excuse.)
Nip any problem behavior in the bud.
A tired dog is a good dog, so give your puppy or dog lots of exercise and constructive outlets for his natural energies. (Yard exercise is NOT enough.)

Safety Tips for Parents

NEVER let your child crawl all over or mishandle a animals they will get tired of it and bit sooner or later. This is cruel to the animal, there is nothing cute or funny about it.

Teach your child(ren) to always ask first before petting a dog.
Teach your child(ren) how to properly approach and interact with a friendly and/or familiar dog... and when not to approach or pet a dog at all.
Never leave your child (under 12 years old) alone unsupervised with a dog.
```````````````````````
 ImJuStAGuRL
Msg: 122
HELP!!! Top 10 most aggressive dogs?????
Posted: 6/12/2006 9:21:42 AM
Aggressive is not in the breed of dog but in the owner of the breed. I have had pitbull's all my life and i currently have a RED NOSE PIT that is a hugh baby, every animal i have brought into my house he has kinda took under his wing like the daddy role. It bothers me when people just put a sterio type on a breed, when its not true.
 delytful
Msg: 124
Posted: 6/12/2006 9:35:28 AM
New Flash - Yesterday a lab/retriever mix attacked an elderly woman and almost killed her. A LABRADOR RETRIEVER MIX. (Kid had tried to walk the 60lb dog and could not control it.) The report went on to say that as it was a first offense, the dog may be returned to the family. If it had been a pit or a rot, they would have just put it down. Now THAT is discrimination.
 jennifer62376
Msg: 125
Posted: 6/12/2006 11:07:46 AM
i have a rottweiler who weighs 205 pounds shes a big baby would never hurt anyone plus i have two pitbulls who are babies i dont think dogs are just vicious i think its how they are raised and treated but on the other hand i have two chuiahuias who would eat you alive damn lil ankle biters lol
 GT99
Msg: 129
Posted: 6/22/2006 2:19:25 PM

Yes their being inbred... but its got nothing to do with why they bite, you can't blame the entire breed of dog just because of a few incidents.... it has to do with how the dog is treaded, how much training they have had, whether it be in class, or the owner training it themselves and whether the dog was provoked enugh to bite in the first place.

To those who say the smaller dog will not cause alot of damage... did you ever think about if one of those little dogs bit and punctured a child/or adult who had Hemophelia, they could possibly die because their blood cannot clot.

I don't agree with having them muzzled.... but i do agree with having them in training classes and having a license for them. ( i have one for my dog, and had ones for both previous dogs).

you are right...why blame the breed?

why blame the pitbull? I do not blame huskies or goldens, but statistically they are alot more likely to kill a child than a pitbull.....you cant argue this, its fact. Stat wise anyways, of course you can break it down to bad dogs and bad owners...which I believe is the case...but this is what I have had to deal with with my dogs in ontario. I do not think any dog should be banned, I think people should be responsible for their dogs regardless of breed.

do you know that under bill 132 in ontario that if I walk my dogs...and a loose dog comes up and attacks them, and they even try to defend themselves...they are not only DEAD, but I am also entitles to be in jail for 6 months and a $10,000 fine?

crazy? yes, it is...who is at fault? my leashed pitbulls or the aggressive dog that ran across the street to attack them?...in ontario...I am at fault...why? because my dogs are pitbulls, regardless of what atrted it...the pitbull is always at fault...look up the legislation.

they banned them for public safety.....why? sled dogs (wonder what breed they are) account for the majority of fatlities in canada (pitbulls account for one and the breed ID is desputed) (this is also from the current court case on the ban, if you want the referance I will give it to you)

all in all BSL is Bull shit legislation...no dog is worse than the next, however it seems that people defend their dogs to make pitbulls look worse...if you want stats...we can play that game too
 mysterious55
Msg: 131
Posted: 6/22/2006 5:09:12 PM
My 6 month old German Shepherd is already a monster and also spoiled with affection and loves kids and has never shown any signs of biting or attacking as since the day I got him I make sure he meets as many kids , people and other dogs as possible. Even my 7 pound female cat has no problem with him. Nobody will ever have a reason to fear my dog unless provoked and if that is the case they will have more of a problem from me than my dog could ever cause.
 KootieBug
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2006 5:47:04 PM
My mother trains service dogs so I have a pretty big understanding of breeds and there temperaments. ANY BREED CAN BE AGGRESSIVE. It has everything with knowing where your dog came from, and how you train it. Some of the most "dangerous" dogs are great with kids. We have Rotts ourselves. The kids jump all over them, never a moment I felt unsafe. On the other hand we have a black lab who goes Kujo on anyone she doesn’t know. I mean throwing herself into the metal screen again and again, teeth bared vicious. The top 10 dogs who are considered poor choices if you do not have the time to train them and watch them to be sure they adjust to your family environment are.

Pit Bulls
Rottweilers (owned one no problems)
Chow Chows
Doberman Pinschers (owned one no problem)
German Shepherds (owned one no problem)
Siberian Huskies
Alaskan Malamutes
Akitas
American Staffordshire Terriers
Great Danes (owned one no problem)
Boxers (owned one no problem)
Wolf-hybrids

I have owned about 5 of those breeds and NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS but according to some states these ones are on kill lists (if they are dropped at the pound instant death) and some you cant even get insurance on. The only one on that list who I would call 100% unpredictable would be the Wolf, you should never bring any kind of wild animal into your home especially with small children.
 bulldog1966
Msg: 135
Posted: 6/26/2006 3:39:26 PM
When I was a kid, I was attacked by an English Bulldog, which grabbed my foot, pulled me off my bicycle, then laid down on the sidewalk and immediately fell asleep. I thought it had had a heart attack.
 tralala
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2006 3:18:55 PM
the "ankle biters" are the worst
 AnnudderVoice
Msg: 138
Posted: 6/27/2006 4:08:48 PM
I've almost broken myself of that habit.

Annudder
 KootieBug
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2006 5:15:36 PM
The smaller breeds are often over looked because of size. These dogs can be dangerous because they feel a need to protect themselves (from little hands) and also because they can be very "one person orientated" often times playing favorites and also getting protective of there owners. They are unlikely to be deadly, but they can leave a mark if you are not careful.
 Ratero-park-man
Msg: 140
Posted: 6/27/2006 10:55:07 PM
Good question, well I would say (as of late on teh news and what has been going on) maybe the pitbull is KNOWN for it's ferociousness. But I think a Rottweiler and German Shepard and even a Husky and Dobermen, if you get them mad , LOOK OUT. It depends some dogs that cops use are also ferocious and are well trained to do their job. Also some dogs in Europe and Asian and other continents where the attitude towards them is different or even hostile , they can be pretty mean too because you get out of them what you give to them.

So it all depends.

I assume we are NOT including Hyenas and wolves or else they would obviously be the meanest and most agressive for obvious reasons.
 boxman
Msg: 141
Posted: 7/3/2006 12:05:30 PM
Gawd, I don't think I've ever seen so many misspelled words in one thread. Come on folks. You are dog people. at least try and seem semi-literate. Easy words like "Siberian" and "inbreeding"should come naturally. And I have a red-nose bull who's as good a boy as any father could want. Bad dogs are a product of bad owners.
 Gorshkov
Msg: 142
Posted: 7/5/2006 5:10:47 AM
Dogo Argentino.

Picture a pitbull almost the size of a Great Dane.

IIRC, They were originally bred to hunt down escaped prisoners in Argentena.

Anytime I've seen them at a dog show they've been kept in a seperate, fenced-in area.

It would eat a pitbull - or any of the other dogs here - for lunch. Literally.
 Gorshkov
Msg: 143
Posted: 7/5/2006 5:18:21 AM

why blame the pitbull? I do not blame huskies or goldens, but statistically they are alot more likely to kill a child than a pitbull.....you cant argue this, its fact. Stat wise anyways, of course you can break it down to bad dogs and bad owners...which I believe is the case...but this is what I have had to deal with with my dogs in ontario. I do not think any dog should be banned, I think people should be responsible for their dogs regardless of breed.

What you said is wrong on sooooooooo many levels - and you obviously have no understanding of how statistics work.

Let's say for the sake of argument that goldens bite 10 times as many children as pitbulls. (I'm pulling the numbers out of my ass - I'm not sure of the exact statistics). That doesn't mean that they're 10 times more dangerous, because there's 50 or 100 times more goldens out there as there are pitbulls.

Some breeds ARE worse than others - that's why they're different breeds. They all have different purposes. Some are smart - some are dumb. Some have great noses, some have great eyesight. Some are great at herding, and some excell at getting that #@($&#@$* gopher by crawling into the hole after it.

And yeah, some breeds - like the pitbull - are mean. They are unpredictable by nature, they are overly agressive by nature, and they are easy to anger by nature. They are very owner-centric, but unpredictable in their behaviour to ANYBODY else.

A good owner can train a pitbull to minimise the risk, but you can't train away the genetics - regardless of how well it's trained, its still a dangerous animal.
 KootieBug
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2006 10:11:27 AM
Hmmm, I looked up your breed and you would think they would mention what you said about them but this is all I got....

The Argentine Dogo was developed in Argentina by Dr. Antonio Nores Martinez in the 1920's. He wanted a dog that was a good pack hunter and guardian, but could also be trusted with the family. He started with a now extinct mastiff-type breed called the Dog of Cordoba. He added Great Dane, Boxer, Spanish Mastiff, Bulldog, Bull Terrier, Great Pyrenees, Pointer, Irish Wolfhound and Dogue de Bordeaux. The resulting breed, not only met Martinez,' original expectations as a big game hunter and family guardian, but has also been successful as a guide dog and in police work. He created a bullish and fearless hunter with great stamina and a light coat capable of deflecting, rather than absorbing, heat. The breed instantly appealed to people who organize and enjoy dogfights, an activity still popular in many parts of South America and elsewhere.
 Majestic_Lizard_Returns
Msg: 147
Posted: 7/6/2006 1:36:01 PM
The statistical reality, based on actual data taken by doctors and law enforcement concerning dog bites puts crossbred animals at the top of the list as they are responsible for roughly half of all bites and dog attacks. These animals are more likely to have an unstable temperment. They are also representative of the majority of strays.

The next most aggressive animal is the German Shephard. By this I mean that the second largest percentage of bites are attributable to this animal.

And sorry all you Lab lovers, but after the German Shephard the most aggressive is the Labrador Retriever. I know its hard to believe because so many of us have known labs that were total sweeties. The thing about Labs is while they are extremely affectionette they are just as protective of their territory and their owners as they are affectionette.

Next on the list are Terriers and from there the list starts to include the smaller dogs that are not really capable of doing much damage to people such as Dachsunds, Poodles, and so on.

Last on a list of about 20 breeds are the Doberman Pincers, The Rottweilers, and the Pitt Bulls. Yet when it comes to serious injuries, or the extremely unusual fatality, these last three are the most likely culprits. So its not that these dogs are such vicious animals, its that when they actually attack people they are more likely to gravely injure them than the other breeds.

So the politicians really are full shi t.
 Gorshkov
Msg: 149
Posted: 7/7/2006 7:29:39 PM
Kootie - it was years ago, but what you said seems to match what I remember.

I got my information while talking to a breeder at the Ottawa Kennel Club Dog Show a few years ago, when they had a specialty show for the breed - I think there were about 20 of them there.

The "Police Work" is a little understated - I was told at the time that they were used by prison guards to hunt down escaped convicts ..... which had the dual effect of a) sparing the state the expence of having them charged for another jailbreak, and b) discouraging a lot of breakouts in the first place :-)
 Gorshkov
Msg: 150
Posted: 7/7/2006 7:35:34 PM

One really should do a little unbiased research, before making such unfounded and ill-informed statements.

I have. All you have to do is look at what the dog was bred for (ALL fighting dogs are agressive by nature - it's a requirement). Look at the statistics.

Your dog may be a "****" .... but he's not typical of the breed, any more than a golden retreiver attacking children is typical of THAT breed.

All dogs breed were developed for specific purposes, and their genetics make them tend to act in a certain way. Training can to a large extent compensate for those characteristics, but it can't *eliminate* them.

Statistics apply, by definition, to populations, NOT to individuals. Your dog may be fine (which I don't necessarily believe), but the breed AS A WHOLE is very dangerous. You can't deny genetics.

And by the same token, you can't take your dogs behaviour and assume that IT is typical of the breed.
 Majestic_Lizard_Returns
Msg: 153
Posted: 7/8/2006 1:19:21 PM
Actually, next to crossbred dogs German Shepards are responsible for more dog attacks than other breeds. This isn't an unfair bad rap. Its a statistical reality. You can verify this without too much difficulty.

Adversely, Pit Bulls and Doberman Pinchers are statistically at the bottom of the list when it comes to attacks. The problem is that when animals like Pit Bulls do attack people its more notable because the people are critically injured or killed. One of the main reasons I disagree about Pit Bulls being so aggressive is that they have no need to be. They have a natural facility for calm tactical appraisal. A Pitt Bull isn't afraid of you because he knows intuitively how to end your life in less than twenty seconds. When I volunteered at an animal shelter several years back it was the Pitt Bulls that were the best behaved animals out of all the dogs. The employees liked these animals more than the rest, but it was sad because people would not adopt them due to biased nonsense you hear about.

One of the most aggressive dogs in my experience is the Yorkshire Terrier. I have been attacked by these things on four different occasions and accidentally killed one when I was 14. It attacked me as I was riding my bike and would not let go of my ankle and got caught in my back tire and was crushed. Hey, it came out of nowhere. But do Yorkies get a bad rep? No. Because you get attacked by a Yorkie, the worst case scenerio is that you accidentally kill the little rat and the owner sues you. No one has ever been critically injured by a Yorkshire terrier or any other such rat-dog.

The only time I have been attacked by a Doberman it was due to the fact that there were two Dobermans in a set. One of them spent alot of time with me and was essentially my best pal. The other one was jealous and tried to kill me. Guess which one was the bitch?
 Ratero-park-man
Msg: 155
Posted: 7/8/2006 4:51:35 PM
I always wanted to get a boxer. They are hard working and good dogs. I also like huskies. I would have to say that the German Shepards are the best trained and disciplines dogs, not the pitbull!!@ Majestic Lizard Man

thats my opinion. But there are many types can be arrgressive and it depends on then owner and environment, it's upbringing and the skills it's taught not to mention it's moods and the individual personalities of each.
 rainbowfishh
Msg: 156
Posted: 7/8/2006 5:40:42 PM
I'd say chow is the most aggressive
generally as a breed.

I dont care for how they look much...

those little yappy dogs.. sometimes just mutts
can be aggressive too
 Majestic_Lizard_Returns
Msg: 157
Posted: 7/12/2006 9:16:22 AM
Chows are aggressive. I knew someone that had a Pit Bull and his neighbors' Chow was always harassing it. One day the Pitt Bull was tied to a tree in the back yard and the Chow leaped the fence and decided to take advantage of what if must have presumed was a tactical disadvantage for the Pit Bull (Chow must have thought it would be easier to attack the Pit when the Pit was tied up).

The Pit Bull ran around the Chow and wrapped the chain around its neck and killed it. Moral of the story is keep your dog in your yard.
 bulldog1966
Msg: 158
Posted: 7/13/2006 7:33:02 PM
This is hilarious! I take my pits for a walk every morning, between 5 and 6 am, before I leave for work.
This morning, half a block from my house, my 4 yr old, 80lb male pitbull was attacked by a CHIHUAHUA!
This is probably a surprise for many people, but not likely to be for knowlegeable pitbull owners, the chihuahua survived. Buck knows what he can do, has nothing to prove, and has never killed another dog. He merely let it come, and when it got close enough, he stepped on it, and held it down till it screamed. When he let it up, unharmed except for some (very likely )bruised ribs, it ran faster than any chihuahua I've ever seen.
Ten minutes earlier, he ran down and caught a raccoon in the park, so it's not like he doesn't have what it takes, he just knows the difference between prey and dogs.
So much, also, for the myth about how a dog who tastes blood will turn vicious.
 bulldog1966
Msg: 159
Posted: 7/15/2006 10:57:20 PM
Pitbulls seem to be a "Love 'em or hate 'em" breed. Yes, they were bred to be fighting dogs, but that was THREE HUNDRED YEARS AGO. Try to keep it in perspective, people.

A pitbull is not a dog for a novice dog owner. Every pitbull website, every pitbull book and every pitbull breeder out there will tell you that. They ARE NOT evil killing machines. They ARE a smart, stubborn and VERY STRONG dog, with a lot of enthusiasm and a strong prey drive. They are a TERRIER, which means literally "earth dog". Natural born hunters, fighting came later. If you have never had an adult pitty on the other end of a leash, you will be amazed at just how strong they are, far more than you might expect for a dog of this size. Proper training and socialization is a must.
Do it right, you have a great dog. Do it wrong, or don't do it, you're going to have a problem.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >