Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > HELP!!! Top 10 most aggressive dogs?????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 justjazz
Msg: 51
HELP!!! Top 10 most aggressive dogs?????Page 3 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
Ahhhhh the dont bad mouth my wonderful, playful, congenial, children loving pitbull, Rotty, Doby thread has raised its ugly head again. Is aggression truly the point or is it the amount of potential damage inflicted?
 NateC
Msg: 52
HELP!!! Top 10 most aggressive dogs?????
Posted: 5/9/2006 8:05:42 AM
I work in a mall, and sometimes people bring their little whiners in (actually, it's usually a puppy as opposed to a toy breed), and they're generally very well behaved, even on the craziest days. But that's reason enough not to bring a dog to a mall; mind you, here in Barrie, I think dogs are more sociable because a lot of owners bring theirs out when they take walks around the lake.

Generally, dogs here in Ontario, I find, are very well behaved. Of the dogs we've ever owned - we had 5. Sandy and Blackie were both nuts - care of my mom's latchkey raising of both myself and my sister. Scary thought, eh? the dogs my dad has raised, Buster and LG, are so mellow you wouldn't believe it. Although Buster doesn't like kids; he barks, but he doesn't bite.

LG only gets aggressive when there's another dog on the scene, but it's not...fight aggressive, if you know what I mean. Gravol fixed that, though ;)
 difficultone04
Msg: 53
Posted: 5/9/2006 11:40:34 AM

Is aggression truly the point or is it the amount of potential damage inflicted?

Well yes aggression or an inclination towards it IS the point... because if we thought about the potential for damage inflicted to decide whether a dog was dangerous, then I guess Great Danes would be illegal. That's a damn big dog and IF it was inclined towards aggression could be dangerous, however it didn't make anyone's list on this thread. Probably not on any lists of top ten most dangerous dogs. The ability to inflict a large amount of damage means nothing without an inclination towards aggression.

Let's look at it this way (as I'm starting to babble). Would you rather have a vicious chihuahau near a toddler or a gentle pitbull?
 oceanpearl202
Msg: 54
Posted: 5/9/2006 1:13:28 PM
odd about those chow chows, they're such nice pets and are georgous!

OP
 justjazz
Msg: 55
Posted: 5/9/2006 2:51:01 PM

Let's look at it this way (as I'm starting to babble). Would you rather have a vicious chihuahau near a toddler or a gentle pitbull?

A chihuahua....even on its best day some small lacerations is the most damage it can do. A playful nip from a powerful dog can cause severe damage. As far as great danes, my brother is a vet and he either sedates or muzzles all great danes when treating them. They are not the "kind gentle giants" that everyone believes. Are they bad dogs, of course not but the risk involved is too great to endanger ones livelihood.
 dimitrib
Msg: 56
Posted: 5/31/2006 10:01:55 AM
I hate to break this to you, but there NO such thing as an american or german rottweiler. you have fallen prey to the market hype. as for the so called "pit-bull" is just a **stardized version of a few dogs including the mastiff, terrior, and a couple of others and is NOT a recognized breed by international standards. as for most aggressive dogs, you are more likely to get bitten by a GSD (german sheppard), labrador retriever, and poodle before the feared rottweiler
 Don_26
Msg: 57
Posted: 5/31/2006 10:33:27 PM
This talk of rotweilers and pitbulls not being dangerous is ludicrous! In my town a little 5 year old boy was literally ripped apart by rotweilers(true story) oh yes they can be gentle...but what if they were to turn...regardless how much you think you know your dog...can you be 100% certain...because this little boy certainly thought they were playfull...

This was one of the worst stories I have ever heard of and if you do not think it is food for thought then it could be ignorance or perhaps you do not concern yourself(not my dog, he is great with children!) but things can happen and this little boy found out in the most horrible way.
I also had a dog for over 6 years and I am a dog lover.

God rest your soul little guy(you are deffinitly in my prayers)
 FullMoonWisdom
Msg: 58
Posted: 5/31/2006 11:01:42 PM
You may not believe this...but I once read that there was a study done.....The single most aggressive canine, that will turn on it's master in the blink of an eye.....Ready!!! Is a Dalmatian! Seriously....in this study, they cataloged over 300 reported cases of Dalmatians turning aggressive for no apparent reason.

Edit: Ohh! BTW....that was out of 1500 cases.....Pit Bulls came in second!
 simpleman4u
Msg: 59
Posted: 5/31/2006 11:03:40 PM
Ok DON get your FACTs straight before you attempt to dis the breed I love.
Any dog can turn you moron
As for Pitbulls my son was 5 and showed a full grown male in a dog show with 9 other pitbulls in the same ring and OMG guess what NOTHING happend.STOP blamen the dog and start blamen BAD owners!!!!!!
 TheBurningMan
Msg: 60
Posted: 5/31/2006 11:13:47 PM
This or that breed is evil headlines truly suck.

Pitbulls were the devil for years because they got alot of publicity because they had ***holes for owners who were breeding them and training them to be dangerous. Same for rottweilers and whatever. Ownership has alot to do with temperment.

I've owned Pitbulls, Alaskan Malamutes (I can't even believe they were mentioned on this list - they are loyal as all hell and can be PROTECTIVE of owners, but aggressive? Look at the owner of the bad one you met), Rottweilers, Dobermans, and Dalmations.. Several of each mind you, not just 1 or 2.

Rottweilers are big, and can be intimidating. I'd not say mean unless made to do so. Not the brightest of dogs from my experience.

Dalmation = Hyper. Like a 5 year old in a Fun Dip factory.

Malamutes I've owned and met were loyal to the death. If I lived in a cooler clime, I'd have one today.

Dobermans I've had were all aristocrats. Smart, Classy... they all behaved well. TV shows make em come off as aggressive. They do look intimidating.

Pittbulls have a bad rap. People made alot of these dogs mean. Ones I've owned and friends own (I actually met a friends pitt tonight) have all been wonderful dogs. Great around adults, great around kids, great all around animals. I don't think I could have MADE any of mine bite someone.

That being said, I've met ALOT of Teacup Chihuahuas that have really shitty attitudes. I vote for them as the most aggressive
 Don_26
Msg: 61
Posted: 5/31/2006 11:24:06 PM
Tell that to the kids mother moron!!!! I was saying that they are dangerous...all dogs are dangerous , but i cant remember hearing about a lab or german sheopard ripping apart a child(and yes again he was ripped apart) this story i feel quite strongly about...so lay off flamer and get your ****ing facts straight...and YES sometimes I deffinitly blame the breed.Those things are monsters sometimes...and again why dont you try telling that to the kids mom.

Jerk
Edit: Now that I think about it your a very incompassinate person...you were only concerned with the dog and not the boy...very sad very sad indeed

(next post) not tearing into man...tearing apart ripped into pieces...that is quite different.
 TheBurningMan
Msg: 62
Posted: 5/31/2006 11:31:25 PM
There are PLENTY of cases of German Shepards tearing into people. Guess what, they were either TRAINED to be guard/attack dogs OR not trained at all which can be worse.

Guy up above a few posts hit it dead on.. Big dogs can do more damage if there is an incident.

Just because they can do more damage, doesnt make them more aggressive. Big difference there.

Everyone agrees it sucks when i kid is mauled by a dog of whatever breed. But you have to look at other things. Was the kid doing something to piss off the dog? This happens alot and isnt mentioned.. Everyone has seen a kid carrying a dog or cat by it's neck or something. Maybe the dog was deaf, or going blind and the kid surprised it? Maybe stepped on it? or did something mean? Maybe the kid didn't do anything and THAT PARTICULAR dog was a dick... who knows.

Saying "All pitbulls are bad, because a kid got bit," or "All apples are bad because I ate a worm," or whatever is pretty lame.
 simpleman4u
Msg: 63
Posted: 5/31/2006 11:45:55 PM
Wrong yet again it is sad that a child was hurt but you blame the DOG!!!
Try blamen the BAD OWNER!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have breed and shown pitbulls for 7 years and its people like you that make MY dogs have such a bad rep!!!!!!!!

FLAMER?????? lmao
 Don_26
Msg: 64
Posted: 5/31/2006 11:51:52 PM
k flamer I am starting to see a trend with your anger and it seems to be directed at your inability to establishe a beachhead to develop your poorly worded whatever that was...no sir you give your dog a bad name...by not realizing that you have a responsibility to control your dog or realizing that perhaps sometimes there are too many bad owners(oh yea its the owners not the dog or breed) man it is late...why dont we agree to disagree and say a prayer for the little child because that was the story I wanted to tell you good people not nessecarily to blame your breed...for god sakes again have some commpassion...if i have to respond again....grrrrr

Oh my red dragaon you want in on the fray sure man here goes.

.................................................... that is a responce worthy of that nonsence...
Edit: My case was much worse then that...let me try to find the link or story or whatever..
 Don_26
Msg: 65
Posted: 6/1/2006 12:05:20 AM
Again get rid of that attitude it was a bad scene all around ...I think the parents where downstairs in the basement(great place for them)...but hey buddy let his son in with ,what was it 9 pit-bulls...anywho i have found the link so here goes...

http://www.macecanada.com/mauling1.htm

Let the flaming begin...but i warn you I am no push-over!
 delytful
Msg: 66
Posted: 6/1/2006 7:30:09 AM
IMO, the most aggressive dogs are the ones owned by idiots. Be it those that abuse them to the point of making them mean, or those that let those little rats run lose, thinking that due to their small size they couldn't be a problem. I have a friend with one of those hairy rats. Rotten little cur nips at fingers, ankles, etc all the time. Told her it was, but she said, "Scooter doesn't bite". Well, his tooth came unhooked from the hem of my jeans when I booted him about 6 feet. She saw the tooth hooked in the fabric, and still claims the thing doesn't bite. This idiot even expects me to restrain my dog on my property so her rat can run lose. Keep in mind that it is the one that starts the aggression toward mine, who is about 10 times bigger. I laughed and told her, "Let the thing run lose, if you want mine to eat it, and you WILL be cleaning up the mess." She was shocked and horrified that I wasn't going to treat her mutt like it walked on water in my home. I have to put up with it at her place, but not mine. Nope, don't go to her place, because I hate the dog so much.
 cheshire_grin
Msg: 67
Posted: 6/1/2006 8:38:41 AM
Okay. Easy people. I work at a vet clinic and have been for quite some time. I don't know the statistical most aggressive dogs in the world. I also am in Canada.

So, here's what I can tell you. There are certain breeds, no matter how sweet, we muzzle the minute we have to do something to them. There are certain breeds I wouldn't trust to be near with a ten foot pole.

In my very humble opinion, the dogs I would never own nor would ever let my proverbial children near, nor enjoy handling when the time comes are as follows:

Husky/spitz breeds. They're unpredictable and will bite you as soon as look at you. They are generally aggressive dogs. They were bred to be very, very independent and will let you know when they don't like what you're doing. Also, they're very 'calm' appearing, so you have no prediction when this will happen.

Rotties. Sweet as hell dogs. I'll admit I love them. However, they tend to be nervous aggressive or even just mouth/paw aggressive, a sign of dominance. I would not trust one of these breeds to trim their nails or do a grooming on.

Chow Chows. I love chows. I think they're beautiful. They look like giant teddy bears. Yet, the instant a chow comes through our door it's "Muzzle it. It's a chow." This is because the chow was once hunted for food, also, it was bred to fight. So, in its defence, we deserve to be bitten. However, there are some breeders that have been doing it so long they have fantastic dogs. Little Diva, Merlin, and Alfie at my clinic are darling examples of chows.

The Chinese Shar-Pei. They're so cute when they're little, and once older, will gladly rip your face off.

The Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. Aggressive. A little spun in the head. Nervous biter.

One dog I almost got ripped to shreds by was a Bernse Mountain Dog. They're shifty. I muzzle them on any given day.

The Skye Terrier is a mean, mean dog that will spend its life plotting to kill you.

German Shepherds are either really, really sweet or evil. I would watch them. A lot of those dogs have a high prey drive and will try to eat smaller dogs.

Chihauhaus are traditionally aggressive. So are Lhasa-Apsos. The difference between a Lhasa and a Shih Tzu is that you can touch a Shih Tzu.

Springer Spaniels can have springer rage, but are normally sweet dogs.

The Border collie is incredibly intelligent and high strung. I've been bitten by two. I find them unpredictable. THis is mostly because it takes a genius to stay one step ahead of a border. These dogs are meant for work, not for families, the same with husky breeds. If they're not work dogs, watch them. They won't be well trained enough. The exception is two kids that went away to boot camp. By kids I mean puppies.

As far as evil labs/retrievers. Well, you find a mean lab about as often as you find a nice husky. They aren't that common. Most labs will stand there wagging their tails even if you poking them in the eye with a hot poker. I don't know what they're doing to labs/retrievers down in the states, but in Canada, they're traditionally sweet, well-tempered, traditional family dogs.

And on the inevitable topic. Staffies. The pit bull. Whether it be the american staffie, the american pit bull, the european staffie/pit bull, they're all generally the same type of dog just variant in size. As I live in Ontario, I live in a world run by the pitt bull ban. Let me explain this law to those that aren't familiar with it. Any dog that is a staffie/pit bull, or any dog that is simliar in appearance to one, will be euthanized unless it is proven it was in the province before August 28th, 2005. Also, veterinary records are not credible because "vets lie." As of August 28th, 2005, all staffies must be muzzled at all times, save on private property. When at home, they must be leashed when in the yard. They are never to be off leash unless in the house, this includes off leash parks. The staffie, if it bites a human or another dog, will be euthanized. If the dog is 'menacing' in any way, will be euthanized. If the dog is not spayed/neutered, it will be euthanized. If puppies are born, they are euthanized immediately. All Staffies must be regestered. The most common muzzle is a cage muzzle. And because this law applies to all breeds the -look- liek a staffie, many breeds such as mastiffs, boxers, american bulldogs, rottie crosses and others are being euthanized. Many humane society shelters, when given a staffie, will euthanize it without trying to find it a home. Many people believe this law is protecting the public. However, I have never been attacked by a pit bull or pit bull cross. I have worked with them and lived near them my entire life. The one exception I've seen is when a stranger went towards a pup and didn't see the mom. She got defensive, and just like any protective mother, threatened to bite.

However, there are exceptions. Pitties, in general, have a high prey drive which will lead them to attack other dogs. Often time, smaller dogs, that resemble prey. They are also protective of their owners and homes. It is not the pit bull's fault. We, as owners, should be training them correctly. Behavioural problems mean one thing: The owner isn't doing his/her job.

Another problem with the law is that if your dog bites someone because it's being protective, unless that person had criminal intent, your dog is euthanized. And it's impossible to prove someone had criminal intent. it's almost impossible to prove your dog isn't a staffie.

So yes. There's most of the dogs I wouldn't have anything to do with. I would own a pit bull in a heart beat and trust it completely with my children. In fact, between my friend and I, we have seven rescue dogs. Her sister owns a husky breed and we won't go near it, simply because it is a husky breed.

I know I probably sound arrogant. But to be fair, I've been to multiple talks and educational classes in regards to breeds and modern laws. I have also experienced a great deal of one on one contact with breeds.
 delytful
Msg: 68
Posted: 6/1/2006 3:57:27 PM
Don 26, I realize that you are having an emotional reaction to something, but it just isn't reasonable. Maybe if you knew that these dogs do protect, and have saved people from serious harm might make you see the whole picture. My dog is half pit, but the only times he has ever gone after anyone were the time a grown man was attacking my then 8 year old daughter, and the time a man in full blown road rage tried to attack me as I got out of my car. Any time a small child comes near him he LAYS DOWN so that the kid can pet him. If he so much as hears the baby next door crying he starts to snivel at me like he wants me to go check it. He has even protected baby finches from the cat, and got himself ripped pretty good across the face in the process. You shouldn't let the acts of a few determine your opinion of all of them. That is just as crazy as saying that anyone who drinks is an alcoholic.
 Tonys Journey
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2006 5:11:29 PM
Here in Australia, the Pitbull has been copping it in the Media too.I ran into a reporter and I asked him"Why can't you and other Media Types tell the Truth?"I showed him then the official Statistics of Dog Bite occurence here inregard to Breeds.Here the Pitbull is way way down the List something like 27th,if I recall rightly.
I do not own a Pitbull,but I hate them being used as Scapegoats or to sell more Papers.This irrational approach of punishing a whole Breed is of no use to anybody.Look at it this way for example.There were,in the Media two idiots from Australia,over in America and whilst there they robbed a Bank.So do"s this mean that all Australians will rob American Bank"s?No of course not,but that is the same irrational logic that is applied with People trying to ban a whole Breed of Dog!!!
I do not care what breed of Dog, we are talking about as it has to be dealt with on an idividual basis.In other words,Deal with the Deed not the Breed!!!
The Cases,that I have seen here many times are Children left unsupervised with Dog"s and People Humanising Dogs.I have seen some nasty incidents when People have Humanised a Dog as the Dog was not set any healthy Boundarys, became very very dominant and gave the Owner a real run for their Money!!!Was it the Fault?No it was poor or lack of knowledge and Leadership on the Owner"s behalf.
 andhesaid
Msg: 70
Posted: 6/1/2006 5:51:39 PM
beware of the boerbull they have been known to take on lions...ok i never heard of one winning but those dogs have got big brave balls to do that..
 Wolfie65
Msg: 71
Posted: 6/1/2006 6:33:42 PM
Yeh, any dog taking on a lion is a baaaad idea.....
Once again, it ain't the dogs, it's ALWAYS the owners/breeders.
In case of Siberian Huskies, I've just been sort of 'presented' with one, who was originally purcheased as a 'playfriend' for a the 5 year old girl.
Those people are not animal people and should have never gotten a goldfish, much less a Husky.
To make a long story short, he ended up spending 9 years tied to a chain in a dusty yard, virtually ignored by the 'owners'.
I took care of him (walks, vet visits, food other than Taco Hell leftovers, etc.) as best I could.
In this time, he bit people twice, the first time it was some stupid delinquent teenager who leaned over the fence (must have, otherwise the dog would not have been able to physically reach him) and teased, teased, teased until he finally got bit.
The second time involved Halloween, danglies on a dress (he will jump at danglies), lots of screaming and running, strange kids (who had probably shot at him with BB guns before, they like to do that in that neighborhood.Or throw beer bottles, used condoms, yell obscenities, what have you), and all sorts of confusion.
So, he is now labeled a 'biter', because of stupid people.
He's been shot at, burned with red hot beer cans, left out in temperatures over 100 without shade, etc.
I know what I have, he's almost a wolf, and behaves accordingly.
He's actually pretty good most of the time, a miracle considering the conditions he had to live under for so long. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if that dog was mean, but he's not.
He is, like Huskies usually are, independent, smart, hard headed and definitely NOT obedient.
And he weighs 70 pounds, all muscle, so discipline takes a little 'convincing' sometimes.
He loves children, is always good at the vets', but he does play rough, as Huskies do.
Way too many people get animals (not just dogs), knowing absolutely JMFS about them, and end up in trouble, which usually hurts the animal.
 cbi
Msg: 72
Posted: 6/1/2006 6:51:29 PM
What follows in just a personal opinion:

I personally think there are very few bad dogs, just bad owners.

And no, I am not a member of PETA, the Humane Society, or any other group like that. I think people are above animals, in general(there are exceptions; there are a few people that have lost the right); but if you take responsibility for animal then you need to take care of them and not abuse them. If you cannot, then you need to find someone that can take that responsibilty from you. Plus, I think people that get a breed because it is cool(currently) or a status symbol or some such, are probably not getting them for the right reason.

While I am not an expert, it has been my experience that most dog problems are caused by the owners; or, at the very least, not corrected by them. Lack of leadership and consistency being the big ones. Dog are pack animals and if you don't lead the pack, they very well may. If you give them an old shoe to chew on, don't be surprised(or upset) when they eat your good shoes.

I had one dog that I got from my vet, after he fixed him up(he was found half dead on the road). Brought him home and he started to pee on things in the house(when I wasn't looking). Well, I caught him in the act and gave him single and very firm correction; problem solved.

My girlfriend is amazed when I am able to make her dog mind better than she can; no hitting or yelling involved. I just let her dog know I am an alpha(eye contact, voice, and not losing when playing dominace games). Of course, that is easier with some dogs than others; if the dog thinks it is the alpha of the house(its den), that is something entirely different.

I know this over simplifies things, but I think of dogs as being like children. They will push the boundries and learn what they can get away with. You have to be patient when necessary and firm when needed. And, you have to be responsible for them.

Stereotyping a breed as being this or that is no better than any other type of sterotyping.

Again...just my opinion.
 cheshire_grin
Msg: 73
Posted: 6/1/2006 7:46:35 PM
In earnest, most dog breeds that are sketchy/aggressive/shifty are that way because of their breed history. In the case of huskies, we bred them to be independent pack dogs. They were left to wander by themselves until we needed them, and even then they still were in charge of their own minds. Because of this particular trait of independence, they are still very much their own minded dog. They will be in a house on their conditions. And this is what makes working with them dangerous. They won't take shit.

However, a lot of problems are uneducated owners. That is where a lot of media based problems come. The owners are bad and irresponsible. The government's answer? Ban the dog. Go government logics. Woo woo.
 Don_26
Msg: 74
Posted: 6/1/2006 9:15:56 PM
You know protection is one thing...why dont you get a dog who is medium size , who has a loud bark and will bite if needs be...I dont understand what people need in a huge 70 kilo dog who has teeth that can bite clean through an arm or leg...you only need a handgun at home for protection not a machine gun...I am unconvinced
 Don_26
Msg: 75
Posted: 6/1/2006 10:06:28 PM
... have You ever had Your house ripped off...

What is that supposed to mean , did they steal it in the middle of the night with a trailor and stuff...that wouldnt be cool...
I am sorry to hear somebody ripped off your house(hopefully they let you leave before they took it)
See you keep trying dragon...you need to read my stuff and then really think what you are gonna write...its alright man I know you like me its alright dude , it is alright...
But I do like females...sorry
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > HELP!!! Top 10 most aggressive dogs?????