Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Poet102781
Msg: 106
What nationality [ethic background] are you?Page 2 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I think when a person asks that question...they are trying to adapt to the culture you rep..so they can either impress you...or not say something that might offend you....but my personal take on it is....WHO GIVES A FCUK?

People are people where you come from shouldnt matter, just like how much money you have in the bank...but alas....thats not the case.
 juan23ocen
Msg: 110
What nationality [ethic background] are you?
Posted: 6/2/2006 8:18:54 AM
HI GIRL HOW ARE U DOING I WANT TO MEET PEOPLE LIKE ARE U ARABIC? CUZ I LOVE ARABIC GIRLS I MEANT I HAVE A LOT OF FRIENDS FROM THERE I JUST WANNA NEET U CUX I LIVE HERE IN MEXICO AND I WANT TO MEET U DO U WANT TO BE MY FRIEND WRITE ME BACK PLEASE I REALLY APRECCIATE THAT THANKS
 Fry Lock
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2006 11:04:10 AM
Greek and Cherokee Indian....ergo I am the hairy lady that drinks too much and talks to the trees...
 kamikazekate
Msg: 112
Posted: 6/2/2006 12:32:21 PM
German, Irish, Hungarian, for me

I like to ask, because it's just one more thing to know about a person...all the food I ate while growing up had paprika on it, so it was always some shade of red or pink, because my mother was 100% Hungarian. When I meet other Hungarians, we always have a good laugh about it, because it was the same in their house.

People always look for something to connect with, and if they find something they have in common, it makes them feel more comfortable. Birds of a feather flock together. It's just one less thing to have to work on.
 Jynx_2005
Msg: 113
Posted: 6/2/2006 12:56:23 PM
I think that its important to be proud of your heritage. I know that I am. I have had people discriminate against me because I am proud NOT to be an american. But your ethnicity is part of who you are. If you aren't comfortable with people asking you, maybe you aren't comfortable with yourself. I'm 3/4 Italian and 1/4 Spanish and proud of it!
 kitsguy4u
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2006 12:31:17 AM
I can understand that this is touchy. I have dated "mixed" girls in the past and they would usually answer people with "Im Canadian", and the follow up "where did you parents come from? "Canada". Grandparents? " all over, they travelled". Usually just to frustrate the person.

I get asked quite a bit due to my pic. I have been asked if I am everything from Native American, Asian, Middle Eastern, Mediterranian and a few other surprising areas.

While I can see the "bad" side to this question I think at times it depends on who is asking and why. I like interracial relationships and I find "mixed" people tend to look fantastic. Besides if you are mixed you are the product of people getting together and seeing past the differences.

If someone is asking because they wonder if there is something "in" you that they wont like then they arent worth knowing at all.
 hapeenurse
Msg: 116
Posted: 6/3/2006 2:45:59 AM
a mix of a few things.
Born in Canada, both my parents also born in Canada.
Dads family are Scottish/Welsh
Moms family are English/Irish
so basically the palest white folk ever, yeah thats me alright.
I think it's fun to ask what peoples backgrounds are, then again , I kinda like geneology and history anyway.
 Tallblueyezs
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2006 4:52:35 AM
I have a dual citizenship...Canadian/American....Russian/Scottish....second tallest in family....
 cotter
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2006 1:23:16 PM

What am I today.......A well rounded person who identifies with every single cultural paint that went into the canvas I see when I look in the mirror.
I'm with Brownsugar on this one. What a wonderful thing to say!

I am mostly of German decent ... 5th generation on my mother's side and 3rd generation on my father's side. My father's grandfather immigrated to the USA during the civil war and was a cook for the Union Army ... indentured slave ... never did gain his freedom totally as he could never afford to pay back his sponsor.
He married an American Indian and a couple of their children were actually born on the battlefield. She went with him from camp to camp to help with the cooking.
My father's mother was of English decent.
My mother's family ... all German through and through.

So let me see ... mostly German, a tad English, 1/8 American Indian ...

... and all heart!
 kuvopolis
Msg: 124
Posted: 6/4/2006 1:56:29 PM
I am a geneaology nut, so it interests me on an intellectual level.

On my mom's side I am Bavarian (near Munich Germany). In the mid 1800s her ancestors moved to Brazil because there was free land, and in 1969 she came to NYC.

My dad's parents immigrated to NYC from Italy in 1927-1928, probably to get away from that facist Mussolini.

People think I'm Jewish or Russian for some reason. Or Greek. Or Arab, if I do not shave and have a good tan.
 sillyatheart3
Msg: 130
Posted: 6/5/2006 2:42:59 PM
Norwegian, Swedish (DAD) // (MOM) irish, Cherokee, English..............

I am the last of 500yrs of Norweginas.. and now when i die there is no more and my kids are not considered why for i am not a man.. the blood like ends with my cousen who will and can not ever have kids.. so i am truly the last of the Olson from Norway.. who moved to North dakota in the 30's and the mail man changed are name to Smith.. lol

then they moved to California in the 50's and every damn person in the world was a smith.. lol..

the end.

unhomme
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2006 9:37:52 PM
vrb: I agree w/you totally. BUt I've been trying to write you and cannot. Are you really not seeking a LTR in any sense at all???
 DeeLiteFul
Msg: 136
Posted: 6/7/2006 11:04:13 PM
Im Italian and my mom is jewish ... There might be a reason they ask because they have bad experience with a certain nationality and don't want to fall into that again
 SalinShoes
Msg: 139
Posted: 6/8/2006 2:18:17 PM
I'm Columbian / Belgium and born in Germany.......
 chameleontat
Msg: 142
Posted: 6/8/2006 6:35:55 PM
Heritage is something my ancestors cared about. I'm 100% American and American is my culture.
 14st NYC
Msg: 144
Posted: 6/8/2006 9:12:36 PM
Get help..YOU ARE BLACK
 14st NYC
Msg: 145
Posted: 6/8/2006 9:14:25 PM
Why are white people not trying to connect to their black heritage like some black do?
 Raveninns
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2006 10:55:14 AM
Well, in the truest sense of the word, I am metis. Half Cree, half Quebecois (lol but even dear ol' dad is quarter Mohawk) It is interesting that many posters claim Native heritage.

Cheers
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >