Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 corsetsme
Msg: 156
What nationality [ethic background] are you?Page 5 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Not at all ashamed of my heritage and the Adai Indians(which I am) are not yet even a federally recognized tribe....
It is not usually the question that botheres me but the tone and implication of the asker....
 a_vamp
Msg: 157
What nationality [ethic background] are you?
Posted: 6/17/2006 4:52:31 AM

Posted By: corsetsme

I wasn't referring to you dear....
 Fanny
Msg: 159
Posted: 6/17/2006 7:11:19 AM
Amen, Dreamcatcher!

I'm Sicilian/German/Irish, and was fortunate in having all of those cultures influence my life and upbringing. I have no problem telling anyone about how my mom made the best Sauerbraten, or about Christmas Eve fish and seafood dinners with my Sicilian father's huge family. I suspect that many times when people ask about your ethnicity, they are really trying to learn about experinces that influenced you, and to find a point of commonality. For me, my family will always be my greatest influence, and the source of my most joyful experiences.

Cheers to all-

Fanny
 Soul Seductive
Msg: 163
Posted: 6/18/2006 1:28:30 PM
Mines is pretty simple...I am african american, native american and cherokee indian...am I still any good ???????????
 Dany1180
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2006 4:04:46 PM
To respond to the OP's question (most seem to have not noticed the actual question):

Well I would be the last person to ever be called racist. On the contrary, I love to mingle with people of different backgrounds and nationalities in order to open my mind and discover new things.

So if I ask such a question (and I do), it's because of curiousity not racism.
 JazzDan
Msg: 166
Posted: 7/17/2006 4:08:53 PM
Irish.

And I rarely ever drink. Go figure.
 canyunflyer
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2006 4:33:20 PM
i'm typical American imigrant mongrol trash! ha. Mostly celtic, with some french and Indian thrown in. But... thats not what this thread was about in the first place. It looked like it was a loathing of the idea of actually asking someone about their ethnic background. Or...worse yet! Actually suggesting to someone....Heaven forbid... that they looked "mixed'. wow. the nerve of them!! ha ha!

Now tell me.. how many of us in a country like America... are not 'Mixed'????? give me a break. Arn't we tired of people who are armed to the hilt with their own reactionary guilt and bitterness unloading both barrels on us because we simply ask a friendly question!!!???

What passes for Racism in this country anymore is not racism at all!! According to the doctrine of political correctness.... there is no racial difference at all. And, we dars't not mention anything that might contradict that!! I'm sick of it myself. What we have here is actually a new form of reverse racism.... there is a new book I have heard of, havn't read yet... but plan to. written by a black scholar....called (white guilt-black rage..or opportunism) can't remember the actual title..darn it. But it delves into what has come to be in this country especially...where the whites are accepting a guilt mentality and the blacks (could be the Indians, and mexicans ect. too) are reveling in the opportunitie to expolit this guilt! this is not equality. this is just more nonsense. We need to knock it off. I know... I have gotten way out in left field... but there is a connection to this... and the racial inuendos in the personal sites. Its all nonesense. I don't care what I am....why do you?
 rpburnsusa
Msg: 172
Posted: 7/17/2006 8:24:49 PM
Some of you on here have confused race and ethnicity with nationality, and thus call yourselves "mutts" or "Heinz 57s" when your family's have simply originated from, or intermarried with persons from different countries.

Having German, Scottish, and Irish ancestory, for example, does not make you a mutt or a "Heinz57," if all your ancestors were Caucasian.

If I take a male German Shepherd from Texas and breed him with a female German Shepherd in Florida, then drive to Arizona to allow him to mate with a female German Shepherd there, the offspring from both the Florida female and the Arizona female are still German Shepherds. Geographical boundaries have no impact on genetic make-up.
 rpburnsusa
Msg: 175
Posted: 7/17/2006 8:35:57 PM
Codex1977, look up sophistry and sophomoric.
 Beothuk
Msg: 177
Posted: 7/17/2006 8:44:36 PM
WELL ITS BETTER TO ASK THAT THEN TO ASSUME SOMEONES BACKGROUND. IT IS A GREAT CONVERSATION PIECE AND I FIND IT NICE THAT SOMEONE IS ASKING A VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION. IT ALSO DEPENDS ON WHERE THE QUESTION ORIGINATES. I LIKE TO KNOW WHERE SOMEONE IS FROM ACTUALLY, SO WE CAN TALK ABOUT TRAVEL, BELIEFS, VALUES AND A WHOLE OTHER BUNCH OF IMPORTANT ASPECTS. IT KINDA BREAKS THE ICE. I WOULDNT WORRY TOO MUCH...
 JohnnyPopper
Msg: 185
Posted: 7/17/2006 9:43:29 PM
Nationality: Native to America
Ethnicity: Iroquois/Seneca/Deutsche
 rpburnsusa
Msg: 186
Posted: 7/17/2006 9:50:17 PM
What is your point, pujakama? That we should all just throw it in and start mixing it up until we are on a par with India or Portugal? Or Ethiopia? Does the learned scholar above know the former name of that country, and what the name meant?
 rpburnsusa
Msg: 188
Posted: 7/17/2006 10:26:22 PM
Hmmmmmmm, I suppose you are right, pujakama. When we view, say, a distant star through a telescope, we are in fact looking back into time a span of years equal to the star's distance from us in light years. For example, if a star is 2000 lightyears away, the image we see is 2000 years old, that being the length of time it took for the light to reach us.

India(for the most part) and Portugal are indeed far behind by my standards. Have you ever actually been to either place? I don't blame you if you have not. Both places are cesspools by my (and I suspect quite a few others, too) standards. That is why neither country is on many peoples vacation list.

By the way, India has a caste system, and there is some hyperbole in your nonpurity assertion.

Hope you find that special woman to curl up with, pujakama! What does your "wife" think of that? Gee Wiz! Go figure!
 rpburnsusa
Msg: 190
Posted: 7/17/2006 10:56:30 PM
I have a Masters Degree in Chemistry, thank you. I think you will find that the intelligentsia of Japan agrees with me, and judging by China's laws limiting immigration, so must they.

If you are indeed an anthropologist, you must know of the many peoples who never learned to kindle a fire or to plant a seed, but I see you can lie as brazenly as the author who's book you cite. The book has been roundly criticised. It is simply a work of "One World" propaganda. On the New York Times list today, in the bargain bin tommorow.

Here is one short critique of Jared Diamond's book:
http://www.vdare.com/sailer/050724_diamond.htm
 rpburnsusa
Msg: 196
Posted: 7/18/2006 2:24:52 AM
"...When the subject is chemistry... ill (sic) be all ears in your direction. When theres (sic) a computer problem, Lei handles it (sic). All things in their (sic) place."

You handle the English language like a sledgehammer, certainly no better than the construction workers, bartenders, and bus drivers you denigrated above. Strange for an academic.

I notice you share an opinion prevalent in modern "intellectual" circles: the notion that *only* persons who are formally degreed in a discipline possibly can possess anything beyond introductory level knowledge of that subject. What evidence supports this assumption? Can't a chemist read and study books on Anthropology, perhaps travel somewhere to observe a population of natives and record what he witnesses there? Can't a bartender study and learn Computer Science, or English Literature? Is a thorough knowledge of history strictly the domain of persons who hold the degree of Bachelor or Master of Arts in History? You mean a bus driver can never hope to know as much, no matter how much he reads, or how many documents he may study? Do you mean to tell me I have wasted my time by reading a biology textbook, one widely used in universities no less, and that the information somehow escaped me and was rendered useless because I was not officially enrolled in a class? No matter how many years I have been studying Mathematics, I just cannot ever speak in public on that subject, huh? I must always bend my knee and kneel before a college student who has taken a formal course on Vector Calculus, you say? And I suppose a poor waitress must always sigh with melancholy resignation when she realizes that a knowledge of child raising is forever beyond her reach because of the absence of a Degree of Sociology.

Arrogant.
 JohnnyPopper
Msg: 200
Posted: 7/18/2006 10:01:50 PM

Page 10 of 9
hahaha, Just saw this on the lower lefthand corner of page 9..
whos is minding the store??
 Blown383
Msg: 203
Posted: 7/19/2006 9:49:27 AM
Take a guess people! I have had everything from Mexican to Eskimo.

-B
 Gmaverick
Msg: 209
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2006 3:35:05 AM
What is it with white people who say they have Native American blood? That's like a Hispanic claiming that he has Arab blood in him.

Would you mind to explain what do you mean by that..??? I don't see what's wrong with it.
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 217
Posted: 6/30/2007 3:35:25 PM
I am American born and raised .
 whothehellknows
Msg: 219
Posted: 10/6/2007 7:59:47 PM
I find it more annoying that people get nationality confused with ethnicity.
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 220
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2007 8:38:21 PM
Hmmm.. I ask because I find that some ethnicities have certain traits and..it's interesting to me where peoples families have come from and such.

I find myself drawn to celtic types...don't know why.

I'm not sure what "ethnicity" means..I mean I do when it's obvious..I have a friend who is Greek and the whole family is like crazy greek..., spanakopita (yum), dancing, break glasses..they really have held on to a lot of traditions from their original homeland. It's a lot of fun and really interesting to me.

My (European side) family has been in North America since the bleedin' 1600's, ...so ethnically that makes me Canadian..but there is some Cherokee in there and who know how far back that goes. But what is a canadian ethnicity really? It can be anything from drinking screech to beachcombing to hockey to I mean, is there a "Canadian" ethnic trait? Not really (unless you count going to Timmies! LOL)... The country is far to big and diverse...not like someone from say...I don't know, Tunisia?

I guess I just don't have the whole racist thing...I think it's cool to find out about other people.
 nebula22
Msg: 222
Posted: 10/18/2007 5:18:38 AM
Chippawa, Cherokee, Chocktaw, and Irish.
Notice I'm mostly Native pre-American?
The Irish were treated badly when they got here so the natives thought, hmm, if these people are not friends with the white-eyes then we should be friends with them.
 kuvopolis
Msg: 225
Posted: 1/11/2009 6:05:01 PM
What I find disturbing about the original post is that the OP equates nationality with ethnic background. Nationality is supposed to refer to what country you owe allegiance to, and ethnic background deals with ancestry. There were a lot of people in New York City who made that mistake and it is disrespectful to the host country. Another thing, why is this in the Dating forum?

For what it is worth, my nationality is American (United States). My ethnic background is 1/2 German (Bavarian) and 1/2 Italian. People can never guess I am German; they usually go with Italian. Bavarians, by the way, are the darker of the Germans. I can sometimes pass for Greek, Russian, Ashkenazi Jew and even Arabic if I get a good tan.
 Sherlock101
Msg: 236
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2009 10:54:46 AM
I'm mostly Cherokee with a touch of German and Welsh. I still cant grow a full beard or sideburns and my mustache took forever...
 Sherlock101
Msg: 239
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2009 6:46:36 PM

I'd buy that for a dollar! I wouldn't mind not having to shave every day.... I think?

TBGE, I can only go a day without too much noticable stubble...
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >