Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > short women/tall men      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 chuckyB51
Msg: 251
view profile
History
short women/tall menPage 11 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)
I'm still waiting for the women to comment on the research since many have been asking for proof. Here's your proof.

Look up the article "Height as a basis for interpersonal attraction" by Wayne E. Hensley. You can find the full article at http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2248/is_n114_v29/ai_15622157/

In the research done by Mr. Hensley, 72 inches is the mean height for an ideal male reported by the uninvolved females in this study. Moreover, the standard deviation of the preferred height is so small ([Alpha] = .20) that the preference for a six-foot-tall male is overwhelming. Of the 145 uninvolved females, 46 (32%) report that six feet is the ideal height for a male.

The study does show that shorter men may have a chance, but it is slim. Only 2% of women preferred a shorter male. And only one in 720 couples was the man shorter than the woman.
 Taztiger72
Msg: 252
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/16/2010 10:24:43 PM

Taz - your buddy is posting studies that contradict you.

He can post what ever he likes - I'm not complaining about the Real World - it's online where things have gotten so crazy! On top of that not all the women are even single and are seeing someone waiting to get that 6'0" Man?

He can sit here and waste his time - complaining about why no women will date him? I keep looking around and using my charm and experience to find someone - because if you just sit here and just get frustrated you can't experience real life and you are guaranteed to end up lonely and miserable. Yeah, most of the time it doesn't work - and sucks - but if you don't you are not getting anything out of it = plus I think some people on here think they are going to have everything handed to them. Pff!

Fact if you don't know the difference between an Extrovert and an Introvert and how to deal differently with each = you are not going to go very far......
 chuckyB51
Msg: 253
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/16/2010 10:25:33 PM

Further, the study found that more women chose 'medium' height men. Even more than chose tall men.

It seems that you must have read over the article quickly and didn't comprehend everything being said.

"Note, however, that the medium category is the closest approximation to the real choice of six feet." It didn't say that women actually prefer the medium category (5'9" to 5'11"). They showed preference to this category because it was the closest option to 6' given. Most likely the 28% who picked the medium height back in 1978 would pick taller today since this is what the more recent research on the article showed.

The ceiling is over 6'4".
 chuckyB51
Msg: 254
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/16/2010 11:13:16 PM
You really are a lonely little man aren't you taztiger72. I'm beginning to think that cynthiaMw and the others are right about you. You really are bitter and making shorter men look bad. You seem to be really unhappy. You have never presented any data or research to prove your points. Some of your points have been valid in the false stereotypes that shorter than average men face, but you really have taken this beyond that point. All you do is harp on six feet. It doesn't seem that you are proud of your height...That doesn't mean that you wouldn't want to be taller, but get a grip. If shorter than average men were to listen to you they might as well jump off a bridge now.

I am 5'4" and proud of my height even though I have had many women put me down or not even give me a chance because of it. At the end of the day I wouldn't want to be with these women anyways. I have presented my view points on here based on my experiences, both good and bad. Some have not agreed with these viewpoints, but they are based on my experiences. I have always been a successful person. I own a successful business, was very successful in college, I am a leader in my community, have great friends and family...and someday I will have a wonderful woman in my life who I will be lucky to wake up to everyday.

I look forward to a healthy debate and discussion on this topic. I think this is an important topic of discussion because it is an issue that most shorter than average men deal with. This topic comes up a lot on the forums here because it is a real issue. I will admit that I have probably even taken it too far on this topic. I don't want any of my comments to put shorter than average men in a bad light. And If I have done this I owe an apology to these men.

I don't think anyone doubts that shorter men have it harder in the dating world. I will admit that I get discouraged when my 6'2" skinny asian friend who is shy around women has women throwing themselves at him. Shorter men don't have this luxury because they have to gain a woman’s interest through a great personality. What makes this even harder is that many women wont even give a short guy the time of day to see what kind of personality he has. Shorter men have it harder, but that doesn't mean that there aren't a few women out there who put personality before looks when it comes to grading attraction. To the shorter than average men...Don't give up and look for ways to improve yourself everyday.
 Taztiger72
Msg: 255
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/17/2010 12:15:33 AM

You really are a lonely little man aren't you taztiger72.

Actually no I'm not lonely - but even with all the data in the world - you just are not going to change people's minds on here - as long as Men under 6'0" are shafted by everyone including their own - there is no chance of changing anything. Unfortunately, for 1 thing that Shorter Statured Men suffer is No Cohesion to the issues that we face.

Until the Following takes place - we are stuck where we are:
1. Treated Equally
2. Paid Equally
3. Shown in Public as Humans and not midgets.
4. Were Not Genetic Freaks = We Are Going to be here 1,000 years from now too..

But No One wants to take the 1st move - and the ones out there that are organized are Frauds! Doing Absolutely Nothing and Using People.

Plus all the Documents are obviously Biased for Tall Men - making them look better than they actually are - if we had the PR and The Press they get - we'd be not so bad off.
 WeAre1
Msg: 256
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/17/2010 4:41:32 AM
seems this thread has spiralled so off-topic...until one realizes the terms short and tall are completely subjective in most cases... perhaps agreeing (or not) on the extremes...so could it possibly be agreed, not being gender specific, under 5' or over 7' could be considered short and tall? or maybe that also would be debated here just because it could be :) ....

to return to the original op's points - even though she is long gone - perhaps I'm in the minority, but I would not date anyone over 5'10" because it does not work for me for many reasons - here are a few....
I like to dance and it's not possible with someone so much taller than me, particularly slow dancing in a natural way with both my feet on the ground.... :)
I have past neck injury, so looking up a lot is painful....and when you're small, you're nearly always looking up in a group of people...
though as I get older, I am finding (with shrinking with age?), more women seem to be around my height these days. yay!
but, usually, even walking with someone arm in arm and talking I find awkward when the man towers over me....

at the same time, I also have the issue that if someone is nearly as small as me with shoes on...I know it sounds hypocritical, but if I can see them anywhere near eye-eye, and I usually wear shoes that raise my height, I tend not to be attracted to them....(that is if we really must discuss the other end of the spectrum of the op's question)...
optimum height for me I've found here are men who claim they are 6' because it seems that means they're really between 5'9'' and 5'10"! :) or less :(
 PrinceCharmingsCousin
Msg: 257
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/18/2010 7:56:01 AM
I've only been PLEASANTLY surprised ONCE where she was pretty in her pics...but GORGEOUS in real life, and that was with my ex...other then that either what I expected or BAD NEWS BEARS.

question for people:
Just read a profile and the chick says "I usually date 6' + tall guys and 230+ lbs"...now i've seen this type of thing quite commonly on women's profiles...my question is to the women would you find this weird/turn off (or anything else) if a guy did something similar? (I usually date 5'6 and less, and 135lbs and less for example) and to the guys why do you think we don't do this and be CRYSTAL clear on our profiles for the ladies?

I don't see a problem with you wearing lifts either if you are honest about it in your profile. You use the rationalization of women wear make up and push up bras so it so okay. I dont' know a man alive that can't tell a push up bra from a reg. bra in a photo for that matter most men can tell when a woman is wearing make up also if he looks. So where is she hiding anything where in my opinion you are hiding if it isn't on your profile.

Agreed about the height thing on his profile...but unless the chick is showing LOTSA cleav or you are seeing the bra...NO we can't tell...hell i've been fooled many times...where in the shirt and bra I was like DAMN...off it all came and YUK! all saggy or whatever.
 happenstanceone
Msg: 258
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/19/2010 12:36:17 PM
..i've observed that alot of tall men tend to be drawn to short and petite women (i think it could be a fetish for some and insecurity issue for others). Personally, I like to "look" like a couplekl--this has always been important for me. Im 6.5 so, dating a petite gal makes us look somewhat disproportionate. I therefore tend to be drawn toward women whom are at least 5.6 on up....
 duane28
Msg: 259
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/19/2010 4:21:21 PM
Personally, I never bother to approach women who are taller than me. I'm 5' 7" and generally look for women who are 5'5" and shorter.

I guess the problem with tall guys exclusively going after very short women is they're picking them from the same pool of women the short guys are using.

It's the old "supply vs. demand" concept.

I feel bad for really tall women. I've heard from quite a few tall women that both tall and short men don't want them.
 Fifi47
Msg: 260
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/19/2010 4:24:34 PM
I have met a lot of men who love tall women, as long as they are thin with blonde hair and big butts.
 Notdesper8atall
Msg: 261
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/19/2010 4:39:41 PM
"Agreed about the height thing on his profile...but unless the chick is showing LOTSA cleav or you are seeing the bra...NO we can't tell...hell i've been fooled many times...where in the shirt and bra I was like DAMN...off it all came and YUK! all saggy or whatever"

Well you said you can't but I know I sure can tell.. If you look at the womans age and build then you sure ought to be able to. But this comes with experience with women (Not to say you do not have it or anything) and it as easy to spot even in photos just as much as the overdone makeup is. You just need to know what to look for and pay attention.

OT.....Height should be one of the last things your concern yourself with in a potential relationship as it shouldnt and won't deter you if your honest about the the important parts of one.
 sushi0004
Msg: 262
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/21/2010 2:37:29 AM
You are just an obnoxious pr!ck - there is something called KARMA and you are going to meet it one of these days.

What, because I say someone who lies about their height is a liar I'm obnoxious now?

Don't want to be called a liar, then DON'T LIE.

besides, Karma is just guilt for people who aren't catholic.

@ Ghost Nation.. Now, is "mr punyverse" really necessary? Maybe when I was at 150# and looked like Christian bale in "the machinist" I may not have the muscles I did when I was 205# but I do have some. I agree with you guys that "athletic " should be reserved for Gym Fanatic type physiques tho, and not "I have a 6-pack because I run 15 miles a day and never lift" types. I'm somewhere in the middle. Once I get back up to 200# I may switch the description back to "athletic".

Back on topic:

Height matters to some. Be it that you be over a certain height, under a certain height, etc. We are all (most of us) busy people, and should (should is a big word here) know WHAT we want when searching for mate/date/friend, and if some poeple like certain heights for said purposes, that's fine. It just sucks when someonone wastes your time by being dishonest in their profile. Instead of getting mad at people who use height as a criteria and judging them negativly, maybe just try to not take it as a personal insult (it's NOT) and accept the fact that they like different things than you.
 smitms03
Msg: 263
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/21/2010 7:02:45 AM
Being a tall man myself,6'7", I can tell you I always date short women. With that said, to me 6'2" is short. I would never date a woman that is taller than me. Of course I have never met one taller than me either.
 PrinceCharmingsCousin
Msg: 264
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/23/2010 12:44:30 AM

of course your athletic if you have a six pack, its called athletic not fking hulk lol

No that's lean...i've seen some SKINNY a$$ dudes who had six packs...but I wouldn't call wha they looked like athletic...ALSO athletic can very...look at some Football players...lots of them don't have abs...but you look at them and you know they ball.
 Mel1509
Msg: 265
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/23/2010 4:25:20 AM
..i've observed that alot of tall men tend to be drawn to short and petite women (i think it could be a fetish for some and insecurity issue for others). Personally, I like to "look" like a couplekl--this has always been important for me. Im 6.5 so, dating a petite gal makes us look somewhat disproportionate. I therefore tend to be drawn toward women whom are at least 5.6 on up....
Finally!!
 chuckyB51
Msg: 266
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/24/2010 9:55:09 PM

I personally feel it is unfair for a woman to expect to date a guy that is over 6'2 or 6'4 when she herself is only 5'2 or less. I think you need to date more-less in your own league, no matter how low it is (no pun intended, ok maybe alittle lol ),and I find when a lady who is under 5'4 messages me or anyone my height, it's like a 450 pound man or woman attempting to get a date with an athletic supermodel hottie. If you yourself don't have it to give, you shouldn't ask for it.

A tall man who knows that women are just using him for his height. Short women are using tall men to make up for their own insecurities and validation of their femininity. These women will say that it’s just their preference, but there is a bigger psychological reason.
 WeAre1
Msg: 267
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/25/2010 1:41:20 AM
re: messages 594 and 596....
First, please know I don't feel comfortable dating a man taller than 5'10", so I'm not one of these must be 'insecure about my height' women that you imagine.
But I'd like to turn your projection around and ask, then what is your theory on why very tall men like to date very petite women, as many here have expressed? According to your way of thinking, could it be they "are using" tiny woman "to make up for their own insecurities and validation of their" masculinity?
I hate falling into a negative debate, but I did wish to point out how insulting and discriminating your projections of the female psyche really sound.
I'd also like to express, is not a preference for height just like a preference for hair colour, or eye colour, body shape, or sense of humour, analytical mind, or creative talent, or any number of personal preferences that people find they have when it comes to being attracted to each other?
Why does it have to be negative for some people? Why does it even have to make sense for some people?
Personally, I love seeing people together that are really comfortable with each other and enjoying each other's company, no matter their height or body shape, age, or even personality! Pulling apart why they like each other seems to miss the point, for me.
 Mel1509
Msg: 268
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/25/2010 4:55:53 AM
I personally feel it is unfair for a woman to expect to date a guy that is over 6'2 or 6'4 when she herself is only 5'2 or less. I think you need to date more-less in your own league, no matter how low it is (no pun intended, ok maybe alittle lol ),and I find when a lady who is under 5'4 messages me or anyone my height, it's like a 450 pound man or woman attempting to get a date with an athletic supermodel hottie. If you yourself don't have it to give, you shouldn't ask for it.

Well said
 sushi0004
Msg: 269
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/25/2010 8:48:18 AM
EGJV

It's not about superficiality at all. I didn't say that athletic body types were better than thin or fat people... I wasn't making that kind of distinction at all. That's a personal preference thing we are all entitled to have...

My point was about simply being HONEST when describing yourself in a profile. If you have an athletic looking body, choose "athletic". If you are thin, choose "thin" If you are short, do not lie about your height, if you are fat, don't pick "athletic", etc.

We all have our own preferences in what we look for, be it short, tall, fat, thin, red hair, blue hair, emo, clean cut, hairy, bald, different ethnicities, looks... whatever. IMO, we shouldn't get annoyed with people for being attracted to a certian body type (eg tall men w short women), but we SHOULD be annoyed at people who misreresent (LIE) themselves, be it about height, weight, music tastes, etc, in order to try and get more dates. It's bad for everybody involved, wastes peoples time, and is just generally lame.

It's tough to be honest and objective with onself, especially when assessing ones own plusses and minuses, but it's critical if you want to find the right person, and you want the right person to find you.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 270
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/25/2010 11:03:52 AM

Well said

Really? This is well said?
 chuckyB51
Msg: 271
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/25/2010 2:11:45 PM
Size Matters: $30,000 Per Inch
Monday, February 15, 2010

CHARLOTTE OBSERVER -- "A forthcoming study by a Duke University researcher and several colleagues confirms what not-so-thin women and short, broke men have long suspected: They don't get nearly as much romantic attention as skinny women and tall, financially secure guys.

With the $1.1 billion online dating and matchmaking industry growing in popularity, researchers say dating sites' gigantic databases make fertile ground for study. The study, still under peer review before publication, analyzed 22,000 online daters and found that women put a premium on income and height when deciding which men to contact, said Dan Ariely, a Duke behavioral economist who worked with University of Chicago researchers on the project.

For example, the study showed a 5-foot-9-inch man needs to make $30,000 more than a 5-foot-10-inch one to be as successful in the dating pool."
 vapeninsula
Msg: 272
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/25/2010 4:24:31 PM
I find that there is little choice for tall men, since there are so few tall women. Most of the women I come across are less than 5'5". I'm not complaining, because it's not that important, but taller is kind of cool for some reason. I think being proportionate is more important than height.
 chuckyB51
Msg: 273
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/25/2010 4:30:57 PM
Tall Guys Get the Girls
Short Men Less Likely to Marry, Have Kids
By Rick Callahan

Jan. 12 — If it seemed as if the tall guys got all the girls in high school, it wasn’t your imagination. New research suggests taller men are more likely to marry and tend to have more children than short guys.
What’s behind the phenomenon — whether women prefer taller men or those men are simply more outgoing — is up for debate. But the numbers clearly stack up against shorter guys.
Polish and British scientists studied the medical records of about 3,200 Polish men ages 25 to 60 and found that childless men were on average 1.2 inches shorter than men who had at least one child.
Bachelors were about an inch shorter on average than married men. That was true even after researchers took into account the fact that men’s heights increased in recent decades because of better nutrition and health care.
20- to 50-Year-Olds
The records, which were collected in Wroclaw, Poland, from 1983 to 1989, showed that tall men in their 20s, 30s and 40s all had more children than their shorter peers.
Height didn’t seem to matter for men in their 50s. Robin I.M. Dunbar of the University of Liverpool said that is because those men came of age after World War II — a catastrophe that claimed the lives of many Polish men and reduced women’s mating options.
However, Dunbar said the numbers clearly show that women favor taller men — something that other research suggests is true across all cultures.
“Basically, height is a proxy for other variables that women find desirable — men who can protect them, provide them with resources, have good social status and aren’t easily dominated by other men,” said Dunbar, a professor of evolutionary psychology and the study’s co-author.
The findings were published in Thursday’s issue of the journal Nature.
Abnormal Sizes Scrapped
Out of the military service records of 4,400 men, the researchers excluded men who were abnormally short or tall. The average height of the 3,200 men whose records were part of their final sample was 5-foot-6.
The researchers meant to study men whose height and reproductive success were not so gargantuan, or so small, as to have skewed their results. Their methodology would have excluded someone like Wilt Chamberlain, the 7-foot-1 basketball star who bragged of sleeping with 20,000 women.
While other studies have shown that taller-than-average men have higher incomes and social status than shorter men, this study is the first to demonstrate a direct link between height and reproductive success, said David Buss, a professor of psychology at the University of Texas at Austin.
Evolutionary Trait
Buss, who has written two books on human mating habits, said the female preference for taller males harkens back to the earliest stages of human evolution. That was a time when prehistoric women chose mates who could offer them the best protection and provide for their needs.
“This study shows that even in modern times the kind of selection we might think of as prehistoric continues to operate,” he said.
Dunbar said he undertook the research after noticing that in personal ads men advertised their height only if they were tall or taller than average.
“You didn’t see any advertisements saying, ‘I’m 5-foot-3, give me a call,”‘ he said.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 274
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/25/2010 4:53:19 PM

the study showed a 5-foot-9-inch man needs to make $30,000 more than a 5-foot-10-inch one to be as successful in the dating pool

Pretty much all studies show that yes, men in the general "tall" range make more than men in the "short" range, and get more dates. One would have to be a fool to ignore this. I'm sure the same goes for (to a lesser degree) of width of shoulders -- or good looks. Height brings a presence and has an effect on female attraction. HOWEVER, that quote is so misleading, though. It would depend on how much the baseline $$ amount is -- and also, the height of the woman in comparison. I say the latter because a shorter guy with a brain is going to be putting more efforts toward gals at his height or shorter than him in her heels (if she's wearing them), which would give him greater returns.

Side note: Some gals can tell guys who aren't tall to stop whining about it, because they shouldn't be whining, but to say it isn't a key factor in attraction to the female masses is totally wrong.

No where in the beginning post does it even mention the body style of the women nor the financial status of the men. ONLY the body height is mentioned.

It does relate to the topic, in terms of comparing how people treat differences. If a topic was about race issues, one can compare it to gender issues or other issues that follow the same suit. It would be wrong to say they're the same, but making references does not mean off topic.

I found myself looking at the "500 hottest people" list (I was bored)...and guess what I saw? Men who were nowhere near the 6 foot mark that's claimed as an absolute must here, with many in the 5'6 to 5'9 range.

That's based on a photo -- not the profile (that's an extra click and another click to go back). So height won't really play a role.

Furthermore, people, both men and women, are entitled to date/be attracted to whom ever they please.

Of course, but the argument isn't about entitlement; nobody's arguing that. The topic is about whether or not it's true that a man's height plays a key role in a woman's attraction. The answer is yes.

The same can be said for a woman's breast size or waist size. For women who complain about guys just wanting "barbie" or wanting girls with big boobs or slim bodies, they would be hypocritical to say "I want a guy who's tall; but that's just my preference". They're both just as natural -- just as "shallow".

Personally, it DOES matter in the world of attraction. So what, though? Many other factors involved, and there's plenty of fish in the sea.
 PrinceCharmingsCousin
Msg: 275
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/26/2010 4:41:23 AM

skinny ass dudes with six packs must actually do some exercise to have a six pack hence its an athletic body

its not hulk or massive its athletic

Ever hear of genetics? I know plenty of scrawny types who because of their metabolism have VERY LITTLE fat on their frame, consequently they also have very LITTLE muscle mass as well...but they are ripped because their metabolism is fast, not because they exercise...hell lot of them don't exercise at all.

BTW the there's a large gamut between scrawny/skinny and hulk...whats your obsessions with the angry green fella?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > short women/tall men