Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > short women/tall men      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 218
short women/tall menPage 24 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)
Loris,

I'm a woman who likes guys 5'11 or taller. I wish it didn't bug me but I feel totally self concious being with a guy that I'm taller than in heels or wedges!

Wrong. That's not why. Not whining -- just correcting you (yes, even on your tastes; don't be PC) ;)

I'm only 5'4 and I know that seems ridiculous but I'm not what I feel to be a little girl and I like that big masculine guy thing.

It's the last part you like -- that big masculine guy thing. You're not going to be taller than a guy who's 5'10" in your heels. You have 7" heels?

Like you said, you like a guy who's masculine. We like petite girls. Girls who aren't -- are less attractive. Guys who aren't masculine are less attractive.

Women like guys who are not just taller than them per se -- but taller than the other common guys, which displays their masculinity.

Women 5'9" have about the same height requirements as you -- out here, in a tall Dutch section of the country. Why is that? It's not about comparison (that's just an immediate of-course requirement). It's about him vs other guys.
 WeAre1
Msg: 219
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/28/2010 7:36:15 AM
So, in the stated 'statistics'...(though no one official has ever approached me, so I know my vote isn't in any 'statistics' :)....
It brings up a question in me that I'm hoping might offer a more equal perspective ...wondering if men are comfortable with, or choosing to date women who are taller than them? And is that not so different than women's comfort level with men who are smaller than them? (staying purposefully away from the terms preference or requirement, or specific heights here...it's a general question.)

I am thinking many of the terms that are being debated here are subjective...and I can also see some of the mens' points, believing some women are more closed-minded to height in general than some men are....understanding all of this can only be one's opinion and nothing is fact...even the statistics, as far as I can see.

It was inevitable this thread would turn into a gender war, like all the others, that set up men 'against' women, and vice versa.
It was inevitable anyone outside of the 'most desired group' might start feeling defensive.

So, just to point out something I think many men and many taller women might not realize - it is not all so wonderful being a small woman in this world, unlike what this thread might have you believe.

So, could we possibly use this thread to open our eyes to others' feelings and perspectives, rather than use it to confirm our own beliefs of the 'unfairness' of it all?
 Taztiger72
Msg: 220
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/28/2010 10:04:28 AM

It's the last part you like -- that big masculine guy thing. You're not going to be taller than a guy who's 5'10" in your heels. You have 7" heels?

Confident-Realist - dude - they have 10 Inch High Heels now - for all women to get their Tall Man of their dreams - they are currently working on even higher heels for women.
 Fifi47
Msg: 223
short women/tall men
Posted: 2/28/2010 12:45:08 PM
^^^^^most of us have a few preferences, some seem to have so many exclusions that they limit their dating pool to about 3 people it seems.
 Taztiger72
Msg: 224
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 3/1/2010 4:50:28 PM
^^^^ You are correct sir, 80% of Women Do Want 6'0" Tall Men and will not settle for less - but even Tall Men know this is not possible.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 225
short women/tall men
Posted: 3/2/2010 4:53:54 PM
wondering if men are comfortable with, or choosing to date women who are taller than them? And is that not so different than women's comfort level with men who are smaller than them?

A vast majority of women don't tend to a guy they feel "big" with -- vertically and/or horizontally. With many women, it doesn't have to be that much -- they're more sensitive about their bodies... compared to other girls, and a guy they may date.

But here's something else in the mix when it comes to height. Guys may feel not too comfortable if a woman truly towers over him, but they don't look at the woman as less than a woman, if say, he's 5'5" and she's 6'0". A woman who's 6'0" will look at a guy who's 5'5" and think him less of a "man" (masculinity), if their body types are "standard" otherwise.

With that said, yes, with guys, there is uncomfortability in a different way -- but requires a bigger difference for that to set in. Many guys at 5'5" won't feel uncomfortable with a gal who's 5'8". But many girls, reversed, will.

Said guy might prefer that gal at 5'3" -- but she will still be just as "feminine" either way.

Said girl will almost certainly more than just prefer that guy being at 5'11" -- and would see him as more of a "man" (masculine) that way.

That is why you have whiners. :) A guy can't take the fact that a gal will see him as "not guy enough" -- much like a skinny guy vs a ripped guy to a gal's taste, but the shorter guy can't do much about it.
 Helen0426
Msg: 226
short women/tall men
Posted: 3/2/2010 10:32:29 PM
I'm 5'2" and I've dated all heights, including a couple smaller than I am, and up to about 6'6". Makes no nevermind to me, and usually not to them either. My older brother's nearly 6'5", and has been since about age 13, so I'm used to being around someone much taller. My first really serious boyfriend was about 5'4", maybe 5'5". Others have been all heights. The most serious ever is about 6' even, I think.

Only one instance I can think of when the guy wasn't crazy about me being petite, and it took me forever to even realize it, because I think petite is adorable, so it didn't occur to me. He'd occasionally make some remark about it being okay that I was short. I finally clued in that he didn't really like it and was trying to be nice about it. He was 6'2" - tall, sure, but it wasn't a height I hadn't dated before, and everyone else seemed to like my size. In fact many are surprised to hear that it's only 5'2". Apparently I "act taller," or so I've been told, anyway.

I don't think of myself as "short" - my proportions are pretty nearly ideal, and being naturally flexible and muscular (through, I assure any reader, no real effort, just lucky), my size doesn't limit me in what I can do in any way. So I don't often notice it, myself, except on the rare occasion when I'm surrounded by a sea of shoulders and chests. This really only happens at sporting events, which I very, very rarely attend.

In sum, my experience is that most of the time height doesn't matter. If you're into each other, you're into each other. Just like anything else really. Maybe you have a preference for blondes, or for fine features, or blue eyes; but the person who rocks your world might just be dark-haired, or have bold features, or be brown-eyed... nothing wrong with having a preference, but IMO we should take care not to limit ourselves by them. Might miss out on something good that way.
 chuckyB51
Msg: 228
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:40:08 PM
Short women want and need tall men to make themselves feel feminine. Tall men want and need short women to make themselves feel masculine.
 Taztiger72
Msg: 229
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 3/4/2010 6:56:18 PM

How does a short man who admits to wearing 3" lifts know what a tall man thinks, feels, believes, or bases his masculinity on?
And how do you presume to know what a woman thinks, feels, believes, or bases her feminity on?
Your only frame of reference is that of a man YOUR height.
You are a troll.

I don't believe in cheating on your height personally - like how are you going to get around the issue?
 WeAre1
Msg: 230
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 3/4/2010 8:20:11 PM

"Short women want and need tall men to make themselves feel feminine."

Not this short woman...I feel feminine without needing others to confirm it....and I've always felt feminine, long before the age to date.

(Please be careful not to write your projections and assumptions without adding they are purely your opinion.)
 Mel1509
Msg: 231
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 3/5/2010 4:43:21 AM
Why would short women need a tall man to feel more feminine? As a tall woman I know being tall makes me feel less feminine, and I feel I need a tall man to make me feel more so...

why also would it matter to his masculinity if a six five man was with a woman of five two or five nine, they would still both be a fair bit shorter than him?
 WeAre1
Msg: 232
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 3/5/2010 5:16:37 AM
maybe there's a speck of truth in his statement for some.....or maybe it's more a case of being with someone taller or smaller can help some people feel more of who they are....in his case he was thinking masculine or feminine, but it could work for any adjective - for example, more intelligent, more loving, more caring, more witty, more funny, more beautiful or handsome (or less of any of these things too).....but to make a general statement like his as if it's fact for all is what I can't agree with....

so, back to staying completely on topic - for me it seems pointless guessing why short women and tall men attract each other.

imo the thread can only be answered by those who do fall into that category in practice....which has happened here, but, sadly, some then took that as an open invitation to put them down for their choices.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 233
short women/tall men
Posted: 3/5/2010 10:51:15 AM

Why would short women need a tall man to feel more feminine?

I don't agree with that statement much either... but IMO, there are two factors when it comes to height with basically all women:
(a) Is he taller than me?
(b) Is he not the shorter guy in the group of guys?

(b) is what keeps short women's desired range on height not too far from a tall woman's desired range.

I don't think a short gal would need a tall guy to be more feminine, although a tall guy vs a short guy who's just taller than the short girl, will most likely make her feel more feminine.

It's guys vs other guys. If he's not one of the "shorter" guys in a group, regardless of a woman's height, he passes the test, as long as he's taller than her. SOME girls can be "picky" and want a 6 foot guy just because that IS prized as a better catch by traditional standards. I would say those type of girls are more into self-image (being with a guy who can be considered "tall" by society's standards).
 Mel1509
Msg: 234
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 3/6/2010 6:22:10 AM
however, northern england is a sea of short people. maybe a trip to the netherlands or germany would be in order.

Ha ha your not wrong there!
 Taztiger72
Msg: 235
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 3/9/2010 4:13:03 PM
NO longer here
 Taztiger72
Msg: 236
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 3/10/2010 12:55:18 AM
N/C
 chuckyB51
Msg: 238
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 3/10/2010 10:16:12 PM

I don't know if I have ever believed that old saying of "for every pot there is a lid to match"

Not sure I agree with this one. In China there are far more males than women so there isn't a woman for every man there. Plus, a man has to be 5'3" or taller to drive and has to be 5'7" or taller to be a judge. Many companies in China have height requirements for management positions. Because of these laws and rules shorter men were getting limb lengthening at an alarming rate and illegal clinics began to pop up. Well, there were so many botched surgeries that China outlawed limb lengthening. It also doesn't help that superficial Western Culture has taken root in China. So back to the orginal post...No, there isn't someone for everyone. The opposite was true after WW2 in the US. Right after the war there were more women than men.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 241
short women/tall men
Posted: 3/11/2010 10:34:22 AM

As a shorter man I have a built in "Superficial Woman Detector."

Actually, you're falling in the same trap as some women who are staunchly overweight who cry out "I'm not barbie". They think that any guy who wants a gal who's got a relatively decent body is superficial and bad.

TECHNICALLY, they're superficial. But not in a bad way, because so are they, so am I, and so are you. And there's nothing wrong with that. Sexual attraction for any normal person, requires "superficial" attributes that wets their palette.

Said category of women are bitter because they're not considered dating prospects by a large # of guys. Shorter guys are not considered dating prospects by a large # of girls, relative to the guy's height (and also the girl's).

But that's the way the cookie crumbles. And yes, I do know that said women can lose weight and have a decent body, even if they have a metabolism issue (they think it's just unfair that they'd have to change their diet in an unlikable way, while Sally still gets to go to McDonalds). And I know that shorter guys can't become notably taller by any reasonable means -- but so what? Are women OBLIGED to date you? No, nobody's obliged to date you, nor you to anyone.
 abrethoffreshair
Msg: 242
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 3/15/2010 8:56:15 PM
Im 5 ft & Ive tried both...the short men & the tall men and it doesnt affect me one way or another because its the person inside, what counts. My only problem is the fact that being 5 ft can sometimes be a real handicap...its very hard to reach certain things...thats when I head for my step-stool, lol!
 jmim
Msg: 243
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 4/27/2010 1:23:05 AM

tallness in a man is desirable and shortness is a desirable trait in females. The gene pool of tall men will have lots of short women in it. The gene pool of short men will have lots of tall women in it. This is on average. Undesirable traits flock together.

I do not believe this to be true. Genetics does not understand what is socially desirable.
The men in my family are short. So are the women.

When a tall guy and short women have a kid, the child could end up being short or tall, regardless of sex. In short, an alpha male and alpha female have an equal likely hood of producing an alpha or beta male or female.
 *Eiledon*
Msg: 244
short women/tall men
Posted: 5/10/2010 11:22:35 AM
While I acknowledge that there are a FEW valid points made in this thread, they'recertainly only pertaining to ONLY a FEW individuals.

I've read this ENTIRE thread, and find the majority of opinions (, NOT 'FACTS', as SOOoooo many are asserting,) are pure BULLSH1T!

In the British Armed Services, we had it drilled into us, ATTITUDE is what will carry you to success, so much more so than LUCK!

TRUE love knows NO boundries, be it race, HEIGHT, class, sexual orientation, etc.

I suspect that height isn't the REAL issue with a majority of 'short' suitors...

Anybody got some cheese to go with this thread??
 Jinx71
Msg: 245
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 3/20/2013 10:58:28 AM
I'm telling you about it you could be a handsome man but be short and still get passed up because of your height not knowing you could be the best thing that ever happened to her
 tnt144
Msg: 246
short women/tall men
Posted: 3/20/2013 11:03:32 AM
Okay, kids, look away..... when you two are laying down next to each other, the height difference will seemingly disappear! Mother nature has her ways!
 MsMaureenw
Msg: 247
short women/tall men
Posted: 3/20/2013 5:21:09 PM
Yes, it happens.

I'm 4'11 (POF only had 5' so I could not put my real height). I dated a man who was 6'6 for three years.
 AwesomeKisser
Msg: 248
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 3/20/2013 5:23:29 PM
Sure, why not. Back in school I dated a girl who was 4'11". Last year I dated a lady who was 5'. Much shorter than that might be awkward tough.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > short women/tall men