Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Your thoughts on the Church of Scientology      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 126
Your thoughts on the Church of ScientologyPage 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

I think its a money laundering scam for rich people. The rich people that go there launder their money with them

you were speaking of the catholic church? or..?
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 127
Your thoughts on the Church of Scientology
Posted: 7/11/2010 12:53:43 PM
'Christianity' itself was originally a fringe, splinter cult -breakaway Jews who started following this weird guy who was supposed to be a carpenter helping his father but instead decided to be unemployed, not gainfully employed and living off the benevolence of his followers- he started wandering around with a group of like hippies, (Called his 'disciples').

originality Xtianity was a small, fringe , splinter cult group but by now has grown to be larger than it's 'father' cult -Judaism.
 themadfiddler
Msg: 128
Posted: 7/11/2010 1:06:19 PM
Indeed...originally Judaism was a splinter cult of Phoenician religion. The only reason we know about it is the resilience of its worship and adaptability and evolution over time to meet the needs of its followers and survive despite having to submerge in other societies while retaining its own identity
 susan_cd
Msg: 129
Posted: 12/9/2010 1:10:08 PM
Xenu told me Scientology is a sacm.
 susan_cd
Msg: 130
Posted: 12/12/2010 10:37:44 PM
Oops.

In my original post, sacm is supposed to be scam .
 arwen52
Msg: 131
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2011 8:30:18 AM
There's a great article in the current issue of The New Yorker - very long but well written. Nothing new but some very good details. Describes what happens to member who express doubt, beatings, people kept in confinement, etc., from a number of people who either experienced it personally or witnessed it. The "Church," of course, denies all of it.

"The Apostate
Paul Haggis vs. The Church of Scientology"

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/14/110214fa_fact_wright?currentPage=all
 trinity818
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2011 6:45:14 AM
^^^^ That was a very interesting read.

I read alot of science fiction and fantasy. I really enjoyed Hubbard's "Mission Earth" series and "Battlefield Earth". When I first heard of Scientology, it struck me as extremely funny that it was founded by a science fiction writer. And people took him seriously??

I understand that some of his concepts are reasonable good. But beyond that, I think it's a bad joke.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 133
Posted: 3/8/2011 2:18:04 PM
...Your thoughts on the Church of Scientology...

They are no different that any other religious group.

Their story is just newer and no more believable than any religious mumbo jumbo.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 134
Posted: 1/1/2012 2:51:33 PM
Scientology Rocked By Allegations of Greed in E-mail to 12,000 Church Members
By Tony Ortega Sun., Jan. 1 2012 at 11:43 AM

Very shortly after midnight last night, after the ball had dropped in Times Square to welcome in 2012, we started to receive fevered e-mails from several of our Scientology-watching sources.

The first big breaking story of 2012 had happened only 36 minutes into the new year.

A woman named Debbie Cook dropped something of an atom bomb on the membership of the Church of Scientology last night, and as of this minute -- about noon on New Year's Day -- her Facebook page is still going a bit crazy as her fellow church members deal with the fallout.

Cook was once a very high ranking executive in Scientology's Sea Org. She led the Flag Service Organization in Clearwater, Florida, which made her one of the most important executives at the spiritual headquarters of the worldwide organization. Several years ago, she left that position and the Sea Org, but she is still a member of the church in good standing.

That will probably change after the e-mail she sent out, reportedly to 12,000 members of her religion, which condemns church leader David Miscavige for turning Scientology into little more than a money-hungry fundraising machine...

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/01/debbie_cook_scientology_rocked_by_allegations_of_greed.php
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2012 7:21:23 AM
"Indeed...originally Judaism was a splinter cult of Phoenician religion. The only reason we know about it is the resilience of its worship and adaptability and evolution over time to meet the needs of its followers and survive despite having to submerge in other societies while retaining its own identity"
- Madfiddler

I thought Judaism was an offshoot of Canaanite Mountain/Storm God religion (El), with Mesopotamian influences and later, Egyptian mystery school influences. (Abraham [Abram] came from Ur, did he not?)

Phoenician?

Sorry for being off topic.

Any 'religion' which requires large sums of cash to advance 'spiritually' is a load of crap.

Did you know there is a Nigerian Prince who needs to launder money through my account? He emails me at least once a month, poor guy. All I have to do is send my personal financial information!
 veevee
Msg: 136
Posted: 1/16/2012 1:52:20 PM
It's been said that Scientology was a joke by Hubbard in a bar.
He stated that he could create a slew of worshippers and his buddies said he couldn't.
Isaac Asimov is rumored to have talked about it happening too. Apparently it wasn't the first time Hubbard talked on the subject. I've never looked for the magazine myself to know if it was indeed satire. What makes it somewhat believable (the story that he intended to make money from it) is that he mentioned it to so many people that were his friends and outed him but not publicly as much as to others of the same group.

Was Ellison really there when L. Ron Hubbard invented Scientology?
Excerpted from a posting on the alt.religion.scientology newsgroup, 2 May 1995:

The following excerpt was taken from a magazine called "Saturday Evening Wings," which was printed for awhile in the 1970s. "Wings" described itself as "Wings -- The New Age Satire Magazine". The issue this excerpt was taken from was the Nov.-Dec. '78 issue. It is of great interest, because Harlan Ellison, a rather famous science fiction writer, claims to have been present the night L. Ron Hubbard decided to write "Dianetics."

On Scientology and L. Ron Hubbard:

Ellison: Scientology is bullshit! Man, I was there the night L. Ron Hubbard invented it, for Christ Sakes!

I was sitting in a room with L. Ron Hubbard and a bunch of other science fiction writers. L. Ron Hubbard was famous among science fiction writers because he was the first one to have an electric typewriter.

Wings: He claimed to have written "Dianetics" in a weekend, and nobody can deny it.

Ellison: That's true. He wrote "Dianetics" in one weekend, and you know how he used to write? He used to take a roll of white paper, like paper you wrap fish in. He had it on the wall, and he would roll it into the typewriter and he would begin typing. When he was done, he would tear it off and leave it as one whole long novel.

We were sitting around one night. ... who else was there? Alfred Bester, and Cyril Kornbluth, and Lester Del Rey, and Ron Hubbard, who was making a penny a word, and had been for years. And he said "This bullshit's got to stop!" He says, "I gotta get money." He says, "I want to get rich".

Wings: He is also supposed to have said on that same night: "The question is not how to make a million dollars, but how to keep it."

Ellison: Right. And somebody said, "why don't you invent a new religion? They're always big." We were clowning! You know, "Become Elmer Gantry! You'll make a fortune!" He says, "I'm going to do it." Sat down, stole a little bit from Freud, stole a little bit from Jung, a little bit from Alder, a little bit of encounter therapy, pre-Janov Primal Screaming, took all that bullshit, threw it all together, invented a few new words, because he was a science fiction writer, you know, "engrams" and "regression", all that bullshit. And then he conned John Campbell, who was crazy as a thousand battlefields. I mean, he believed any goddamned thing. He really believed blacks were inferior. I mean he really believed that. He was also very nervous when I was in his office because I was a Jew. You know, he was afraid maybe I would spring horns or something.

Anyhow, the way he conned John was that he had J. A. Winter, who was a doctor, who was a close friend of John's, and he got him to run this article on Dianetics, the new science of mental health.

Wings: Dianometry was the first article, I believe.

Ellison: Right. And science fiction fans will go for any goddamm thing. They'll believe anything, man, they will believe in the abominable snowman and the Bermuda Triangle, in Pyramid Power, in EST, in Scientology, in the Second Coming, they'll believe in any goddamm thing, they don't give a shit. They go to see "Star Wars"; they think it is for real!

So science fiction fans picked it up, they began proselytizing, he started making money, when he had made enough money he was able to spread out a little more, then he got more cuckoos, you know, pre-Charlie Manson ***holes that had no place else to go, and he began talking to these loons as if "Dianetics" really meant something. Then he wanted to get tax-exempt status, so he called it "The Church of Scientology".

Now, they've gotten so big that they own property all over the country, and it is impossible to stop it. They infiltrated the FBI, they infiltrated the tax department, ... the funny thing is, Ron Hubbard and I still occasionally communicate with each other. Every once in a while, a couple or three times a year, we exchange letters. And I write to him, you know, and I say, "Hey Ron, when is this bullshit going to cease? These cuckoos are really driving me crazy! They come around the house with pamphlets!" And he writes me back, and he says, "It's the good work, it's the good work."

It's all very funny stuff. He was going to write a new story for me for the last "Dangerous Visions", but I guess he got too busy counting his money. I don't know.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Your thoughts on the Church of Scientology