Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 whitegold765
Msg: 93
Why do Non-Christians feel the need to press their anti-religous belief's on people? Page 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)

As a christian I believe that a male with the problem of extra female chromosones will be tempted with sexual desires for other males...

And since the bible is not very useful for anything but teaching about christianity...what about being a "christian", would qualify anybody to make blanket statements about either medicine or genetics?

Exactly. "As a christian I believe" doesn't make it true. It's ok when it's subjective like "as a christian I believe Jesus is the son of God". I don't, but ok. But you can't just say "As a christian I believe the sky is a luminescent mauve, and bananas fall from it" and expect that gives it any more credence.

The response is spot on, as proven by the very suggestion that gay men have "the problem of extra female chromosomes". From a scientific point of view this is simply... wrong. We all have 46 chromosomes (in 23 pairs). One pair carries gender, with the chromosomes being either an X from the mother (always) and an X from your father, making you a girl, or a Y from your father making you a boy.

That being said, extra female chromosomes DO happen. There is a condition called XXY or Klinefelter Syndrome where a boy has two female chromosomes. Genitally male they can have a tendancy towards "womanliness", growing small amounts of breast tissue, soft bodies, and having low sperm count and relatively poor endochrine systems. They also tend to be shorter. There's no corresponding levels of homosexuality, and no tendency for homosexuals to have this condition. It's "rare" but only in purely numerical terms. Even at 1/1000 births that's still one every 10 minutes in the US alone. Another condition, XXX, results in girls who are... well... almost totally normal. Few even know. The male equivalent, XYY has similarly no response, despite movie and TV presentations of them being "super male", violent and aggressive. Most don't even know. 1/750 men have it.

In conclusion: feel free to speculate about higher exposure to female hormones in the womb, lack of a strong male role model, etc, but try to avoid being just plain wrong.

I have to agree DNA mutation is caused by certain foods (maybe too much), chemicals, drug abuse and homosexuality.

Um... Homosexuality doesn't cause genetic mutation. I'm not for a second saying that it might not have genetic factors, but DNA mutation is NOT caused by homosexuality. Careful. Your ignorance is showing.

Most people have only 2 strands connected to DNA, you can have up to I believe 26. Some say there's only 10 or 20. I have only heard of once having 26 strands. I remember watching a tv show where two couples had 3 strands of DNA.

WHAT?! Seriously, what the hell are you talking about?! Strands of what connected to DNA? Are you referring to Chromosomes? God I hope not. I tell you for a fact that no "couple" had only three chromosomes. Do you know what has 3 chromosomes? NOTHING. Mozzies have 6. Fruitflies have 8. There's an ant that oddly enough has only two. A human has 23 pairs. 46 chromosomes. The lack of a single chromosome causes such severe deformities as Downs' Syndrome. Please don't be suggesting that a couple (what are the odds) happen to have forgotten 43 of them with no ill effects.

I don't know what these "strands" are, but from the sounds of it you simply didn't understand what you were watching. There's no "some say". There's facts.

I don't know about getting attack to right family line but I do know people with more DNA have less karma or no karma at all.

I don't know how to answer this intelligently, so I'll just go with this: You're wrong and you're stupid.

Barring genetic abnormalities we all have the same amount of DNA. To suggest that's any way related to Karma is stupid. To say that you KNOW that is even stupider. Well done. You're playing intellectual limbo. Keep lowering the bar.
 MsDurtySouth2008
Msg: 94
Why do Non-Christians feel the need to press their anti-religous belief's on people?
Posted: 2/25/2008 9:10:44 PM
I have no idea honestly, but it doesn't bother me. Like I've heard before.... I may not like what you have to say but I will fight for your right to say it. As long as a person doesn't infringe upon my basic rights then it's all to the good. I'm not about to sit up and argue over anything as abstract as religion. I think that the people who do probably find it their holy duty to convert us heathens (lots of eye rolling here) OR the other side of the coin exercising their collective voices trying to educate the masses to the error of "faith" in general. It is a monster bad waste of time and energy, but hell by all means knock yourselves out. It is your right. God bless America.
 whitegold765
Msg: 95
Why do Non-Christians feel the need to press their anti-religous belief's on people?
Posted: 2/25/2008 9:14:52 PM
Err... what's with the assumption that everyone is an American? I'm Australian, and a lot of the other forum contributors are British, etc.
 whitegold765
Msg: 100
Posted: 2/26/2008 2:56:02 AM
Ahhh, Mr Source, I mistakenly thought you were referring to actual science.

The "DNA" he's referring to is discussed in another thread in this forum called "DNA Activation". It's basically pseudo-(read non)-scientific nonsense about the hidden potential in our "etheric dna strands". You know the double helix that forms our DNA? Apparently it's a dodecahelix, with the other ten containing our latent abilities. And the psychic powers hidden therein can be unlocked for 10 easy payments of only...

I think we can all (except the morons) agree that the fact that he believes this twaddle undermines everything he's already said. Bar... dropping.
 whitegold765
Msg: 102
Posted: 2/26/2008 6:42:43 AM
I'm not sure if it will let me post. I've had too many posts on this thread, but still.

Here is the russian research. Actually I couldn't find that much about the research itself, but here are some of its findings.

The Russian scientists also found out that our DNA can cause disturbing patterns in the vacuum, thus producing magnetized wormholes! Wormholes are the microscopic equivalents of the so-called Einstein-Rosen bridges in the vicinity of black holes (left by burned-out stars). These are tunnel connections between entirely different areas in the universe through which information can be transmitted outside of space and time. The DNA attracts these bits of information and passes them on to our consciousness.

Russian researcher Dr.Vladimir Poponin put DNA in a tube and beamed a laser through it. When the DNA was removed, the laser light continued spiralling on its own, like it would through a crystal! This effect is called ‘Phantom DNA Effect’.

It is surmised that energy from outside of space and time still flows through the activated wormholes after the DNA was removed. The side effect encountered most often in hyper communication and also in human beings are inexplicable electromagnetic fields in the vicinity of the persons concerned. Electronic devices like CD players and the like can be irritated and cease to function for hours. When the electromagnetic field slowly dissipates, the devices function normally again. Many healers and psychics know this effect from their work.

The good thing about this kind of "science" is it's kind of self-evaluating. It's riddled with scientific terms used badly and logical holes.

Some of my favourite parts - Einstein-Rosen bridges are a hypothetical construct. How did he find them? Turned on his Einstein-Rosen Bridge Detector and listened for the "ping"? How does he demonstrate their existence in DNA? The DNA attracts information and passes it to our consciousness? How? Proven by what? Then the putting DNA in a tube. Like it's that available. You can get it at shops. "Pint of DNA thanks love." How does laser "spiral"? What do crystals have to do with it? DOES laser through a crystal spiral?

So much nonsense. Just... nonsense. I lack the words.
 statueman
Msg: 103
Posted: 2/26/2008 6:57:32 AM
The question in the OP is a reverse accusation of something usually pointed at the religious.

The last few posts in going off topic and using such words as

stupid
moron
sucker

to me merely show that the question is valid. It never fails to amaze me how folks who call something

pseudo science

can take themselves seriously. It also never fails to amaze me that folks can be insulting and bash others without considering their own reflection in the picture they paint of their own intelligence.

Obviously there is no single answer for this loaded question... but the statement in the question attracts those of us who in many ways are guilty of the sentiment, christian or not.
 statueman
Msg: 106
Posted: 2/26/2008 12:35:57 PM
cocytus

Using science to justify religion ultimately shows the true weaknesses of religion.
And blaming non-christians (which ,again, is the majority of the world's population) for "pressing their beliefs" is just a smokescreen for the failure of christianity to provide its adherents w/ the "answers" that they seek.

The little old lady with the soup kitchen on the corner of fifth and main never took any credit for what the Lord did through her. She never pushed her faith or her soup on anyone. And the folks who come back and donate at her soup kitchen because they used to be customers don't blow any trumpets for the little old lady because they know it would be the wrong thing to do.

My opinions and beliefs about things like homosexuality may offend you and can change with better evidence supporting other explanations. The bowl of soup and the life changing smile I got from the little old christian lady at the soup kitchen cannot.
 MsDurtySouth2008
Msg: 109
Posted: 2/27/2008 11:56:38 AM
I was speaking from MY viewpoint which is American. Damn! Thought that the forum was for everyone. Oh well.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2009 5:05:33 AM
RE Msg: 108 by chelloveck:
I am amazed that your amazed that folks like me just don't faithfully accept any old tosh that is dished up to us....just because someone uses some pseudo scientific mumbo jumbo in order to part my cash from me (and others).
You mean like the huge numbers of products that are claimed to have benefits for children on a scientific basis, that were proved to have no solid scientific proof for them at all, yet continue to be bought in huge droves? One has to wonder why such mumbo-jumbo seems so accepted by so many people, so often, especially by middle-class people educated in science, and often even people with degrees in science.

Like it or not...we are animals...
We kill animals and then we eat them. Why don't you kill humans and then eat them?

If the animal kindom were a democracy, The other constituents would undoubtedly have voted us out of the kingdom as a verminous blight upon it! We as a species, aided and abetted by various religious theories, have the arrogance to contend that we are the only species that truly matters and that the world revolves around our species. Like the dinosaurs in their time....we are merely holding central stage for the moment, in what is the continuing cavalcade that is evolution. We may not hold that position for very long, and for far shorter than the dinosaurs did, if we don't recognise that we are a part of the whole...and not the whole of the whole.
That's how theists feel, that humans are only the stewards of the Earth, given that stewardship by G-d, and if we don't look after it, then G-d will take the Earth away from us. Seems that you have far more in common with theists than you might realise.

Getting back on topic, I don't go knocking door to door, to prosletyse for secular humanism....or atheism...or agnosticism...or existentialism or any other ism.
So you're against those who say that religious people are delusional, and therefore are trying to use mental illness as an argument for conversion?

I don't support atheist missionaries to the bible belt in the United States,
So you're against the atheist bus campaign in the UK?

I don't lobby domestic and foreign governments to subvert government policy, legislation and laws to adopt an atheistic bias.
So you disagree with the government policy to teach a form of evolution that is in conflict with the Bible in schools?

The most that I do, is that when I see remarks by the religiose how wonderful the Emperor's New Clothes look on the Emperor...I will sometimes counter with remarks to the effect that...."the Emperor looks kinda funny butt naked".
Now you know how theists feel when atheists talk trash about religion and theism.
 Inicia
Msg: 117
Posted: 9/25/2009 12:40:44 AM
IMHO it isn't about an extrodinary claim it is about faith.. period not to be debated... One cannot debate the existince of God. Its like debating the existence of Love. we just feel it there is no proof... people choose to beleive in a god. why is it necessary to debunk a belief that is based on faith?
... Most of the time it isn't about saying there is proof of god it is about saying I believe in God.. or a source or higher power etc...sure some people think they can somehow prove god but only in the face of attacks on the belief... or to questions like does God exist?? which is purely speculation and opinion...

If I said science doesn't exist it is a figament of mans imagination a creation to encompass mans need to reason and rationalize things through logic. but science is BS.. it is just dogma. Science in itself is a creation of man. period. It allows us to utilize our need to rationalize, reason and syllogize... Wouldn't the whole world who chooses to operate under the premise of science feel a need to argue with me???
 CountIbli
Msg: 121
Posted: 10/5/2009 1:15:58 PM

I'm just still trying to figure out why it seems so monumentally important to so many athiests on here to "convert" people to their way of thinking. Seems that if you were convinced you were right, you'd be content to let others be blissful in their ignorance. But there is never a sense of agreeing to disagree. It's always as if they must keep pressing until you see it their way.

If Theists were content to keeping their religion private there wouldn't be an issue. But they don't. We have constant attempts by Christians to sneak religious dogma into schools under the banner of Creationism/ID. We have Muslims flying airplanes into buildings. We have Jews sucking us into their Middle East conflicts. We have Hindus and Muslims bringing us to the brink of nuclear annihilation. We had a Christian president bring us into a war with Iraq because God told him to invade. There are powerful religious lobbies that fight against abortion rights, cloning technologies (which would allow the creation of organs for transplants without the risk of rejection or the need for donors), stem cell research, gay marriage, etc. Now we have Christians whining about being an oppressed majority.
 CountIbli
Msg: 122
Posted: 10/5/2009 1:26:24 PM

The good thing about this kind of "science" is it's kind of self-evaluating. It's riddled with scientific terms used badly and logical holes.

Some of my favourite parts - Einstein-Rosen bridges are a hypothetical construct. How did he find them? Turned on his Einstein-Rosen Bridge Detector and listened for the "ping"? How does he demonstrate their existence in DNA? The DNA attracts information and passes it to our consciousness? How? Proven by what? Then the putting DNA in a tube. Like it's that available. You can get it at shops. "Pint of DNA thanks love." How does laser "spiral"? What do crystals have to do with it? DOES laser through a crystal spiral?

So much nonsense. Just... nonsense. I lack the words.

And it also explains crop circles!

http://www.spiritualgenome.com/crop_circles_explained.htm

Here's an article by the scientist himself.

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/ciencia_genetica04.htm
 Inicia
Msg: 123
Posted: 10/7/2009 1:37:06 PM
IMO There are extremist in both religion and science who kill for the pursuant of their perceived advancement and good.. IMO these are corrupt dogmas and doctrines>> We bring up terrorists who attack with the name of their religious beliefs however... can you say Eugenics... ethnic cleansing...in the name of science.. IMO We do not need attribute horrific events perpetuated by aberrant members of society to either philosophy: religion or science. IMO any philosophy can be misinterpreted and utilized as a tool to control and kill.
 CountIbli
Msg: 127
Posted: 10/17/2009 12:16:37 AM

So there are idiots on both sides of the fence. Assuming that extremists accurately represent all theists is ignorant and short-sighted. Flexing your "rightness" by behaving exactly like the zealots on the other side accomplishes what exactly? Other than making you look just as noncredible as the people you are trying to discredit.

Sorry, but this just doesn't fly. Look at the gay marriage issue. Everywhere that people have voted on the issue the masses have rejected it. This homophobia isn't just found in the zealots, it's mainstream. Theists don't generally separate politics from religion. Every time a Theist votes he's voting based on religious beliefs.

What ever happend to, "Your rights end where mine begin?"

Tell that to your fellow Theists. I can't remember the last time there was an Atheist suicide bomber, can you?
 CountIbli
Msg: 128
Posted: 10/17/2009 12:18:21 AM

The reason people want to erase or disprove Christianity is that they don't want to hear they are doing something wrong.

Lamest. Argument. Ever.

We want to disprove Christianity because it's a hateful religion based on lies. The world would be a better place without it.
 *sass*
Msg: 130
Posted: 10/17/2009 10:33:46 PM
Hey guys.. just thought I'd mention that a bunch of us religious forum refugees have taken up a new home, if interested in the link, feel free to send me an email :)

SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 131
Posted: 10/18/2009 1:38:53 AM
My guess it is a backlash of having Christians attempting to shove their faith down peoples throats, and constant proselytizing (sp), that now other faiths and atheists are starting to become just as zealoted in their beliefs.

I was raised in a Catholic home, and still go to Catholic services and pray my Rosary, but the hypocrisy was overwhelming, the nasty fights, drinking, cheating, welfare fraud, et. al that went on in my home as a child, and then we were all sitting in church Sunday like the god little Catholic family.
I studied another religion for the past 13 years, and recently offically was dedicated and initiated.
We do not proselytize. We do not ask for money, accept money, or live off of our religion, and if anyone is interested in "converting", being taught the ways, or observing, they have to seek us out and ask, we will not knock on your door, harange you on the streetcorner, preach our beliefs as the only way to you, or condemn you to ather unpleasant places if you dont worship the way we do.

I really wish all religions operated like that.

I find it incredibly offensive for anyone to assume they can change anothers beliefs in their choice of higher powers to worship (or not worship_, and to assume its even up for negotiation. Wheather it be a Christian or an Atheist, believe what you want, and let others do do as well.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2009 10:09:59 PM
RE Msg: 132 by chelloveck:

The reason people want to erase or disprove Christianity is that they don't want to hear they are doing something wrong.
That is a broad generalisation that has no basis in fact. Although it suits the mindset of many christians to take that viewpoint, and it sits well with the theological propaganda of that faith, however the same charge may be made, and made just as unconvincingly against people of competing theistic faiths.
That's quite a sound summation of why many people put down a faith that is not their own.

Sure, there are times when you might want to point out an inconsistency. But we're all inconsistent in some regard or another. If we were only pointing out problems to be truthful, then we'd point out all of everyone's inconsistencies, and then we'd be telling everyone that they were wrong, all the time, especially about our own inconsistencies. 90% of the world don't do that to everyone about all of their inconsistencies, and especially about their own inconsistencies. So most of the time, when we're pointing out an inconsistency in another, there is another motive behind it.

They know deep down it is right, but are in complete disobedience and don't want any reminders of their wrong choices.
That is an unwarranted assumption....also without any basis in fact. There are many reasons why one may not give any credence to the christian...or indeed any other theistic faith position.
Yes. However, if you aren't threatened by another's position, then you are confident enough in your views to not need to have others agree with you, and you're quite content to not point out that they are wrong in the first place. People say often that those who are most insulting of homosexuals, probably have homosexual tendencies themselves. The same can equally be said about those insulting of religion, or atheism. Cuts both ways.

Also misery loves company, they want others to remain lost too
This is a misconception, also happily put about by some christians and no doubt people of other faiths, that the non religious, the atheists etc are an unhappy miserable bunch, quite unable to function effectively without "god's grace" shining down upon them from the heavens above. I am no more "lost", with regard to christianity, than I am "lost" with regard to Islam, Jainism, Shintoism, Judaism, or animism etc....
Yes. But there are many who do try to convince others who have found love and happiness with a partner, that they will be cheated on, and are better off single, just because they are envious of their happiness, and would rather both have nothing, than their friend is happy and they are not. The same is true of many, that they try to convince others to be like them. But, as long as you are happy to say that others are entitled and correct to believe in their religion, and you are happy to believe in atheism, then you are not taking that approach, and the argument holds false.

As to others "remaining lost" better to find reason and make rational decisions based on the evidence, than to believe as a matter of blind faith, what one was indoctrinated with as a child.
That is very, very true. But we have so much evidence, and Cantor showed that for n pieces of evidence, that we have 2^n possible conclusions. We have billions of pieces of evidence. That makes for 2^billions of possible conclusions. So really, to delve into the issue properly, and make rational decisions on the evidence, requires a tremendous deal of thought. As Edison pointed out: "There is no expedient to which a man will not go to avoid the labor of thinking". Very, very few people think very deeply about the evidence at all, not most theists, and not more atheists.

Some people outgrow the myths and legends of childhood, some do not. Although few people believe in the tooth fairy, the easter bunny and Santa Clause as they did as a child....somehow as adults many are happy to perpetuate the myths for their own children, knowing that it is a fraud. I suspect that same may also be true of some theists also in respect of their faith. If I am lost to a mythology that is not all that benign, I am happy not to be found.
Many secular people believe in Free Market Capitalism, or Representational Democracy, despite their obvious and many failings. I suspect the same may be true of many atheists, that they believe in myths they were indoctrinated in as a child as well. I too agree that if I am lost to a mythology that is not all that benign, I am happy not to be found.

I suggest the possibility that the evidence, for Odin's eyes are as convincing as the evidence for the eyes of the Judeo / Christian god.
You may be interested in knowing that many of the things said about the Norse beliefs, when abstracted from their Norse context, and taken in a generalised set of principles, are incredibly similar to the generalised principles that are believed by Jews, and are very similar to the generalised principles that are believed by quite a few denominations of Xianity. There is a lot more that is similar than different, when it comes down to the bare bones of it.
 *sass*
Msg: 134
Posted: 10/19/2009 10:14:41 PM
^^ Do you prefer it here to there?

southernlass
Msg: 136
Posted: 10/20/2009 12:28:01 AM

I'm just still trying to figure out why it seems so monumentally important to so many athiests on here to "convert" people to their way of thinking. Seems that if you were convinced you were right, you'd be content to let others be blissful in their ignorance. But there is never a sense of agreeing to disagree. It's always as if they must keep pressing until you see it their way.

Atheists of old were and are not interested in converting the public. "New atheists," (google is your friend ;), on the other hand, are interested in converting the public. New atheists are aggressive atheist evangelists. They are anti religion, anti theist, and are encouraged by Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, and Daniel Dennett. These men wrote books on how to get rid of religion and this is their agenda. These men encourage their "fans" to ridicule religion, Christians, Muslims, or those who believe in the God of Abraham, essentially. The new atheists are a different breed of animal because they hate quite intensely and profoundly, unlike the more "live and let live" type of atheist who isn't in anyone's face.

Yes, I do agree that these kind of fundamentalist atheists are radical and as annoying as those who attempt to shove their religion down other people's throats.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2009 5:26:09 AM
Many Atheists want to better the world. Religion is a lie and it is a lie that has hurt mankind. Many Atheists wish to better this and see converting people as a good place to start. It's is not like sunday morning TV with the Christians, but our numbers are bigger then they were and growing and we no longer have a fear in speaking up. There are lot that fear our message. The message is this "there is no god". Unlike some counties were you can be put to death for saying these words, here in the USA it is our right too say these words. Count the TV shows on cable devoted to spreading the Christian message, then count the shows devoted to spreading the Atheist message (what there are none lol); then count the countries were you can be put to death for saying there is no god or converting and becoming an Atheist. It is easy to see we have a long long way to go to make things equal. Some want us to be quiet, they fear us and our message,but they want the right to convert people and spread their beliefs. They don't say end all the sunday morning TV shows they say there is a god, but get mad when Richard Dawkins or others say there is not one. Consistency please. We are not asking to have "there is no god" put on our money, but lots of us want to see "in god we trust" taken off. Because that is not true at all we, would mean us all. Words like that are not only not true, but they shove religion down our throats. Consistency please!
 southernlass
Msg: 138
Posted: 10/20/2009 5:43:49 AM
The majority of Americans do trust in God and have for decades. You don't have the right, as atheists, to suppress people's religious views or do away with meaningful phrases that have been around for years that are historical.

Now certainly you have the right to shove your atheistic hate of religion down other people's throats because you are protected under our country's first ammendment, but you also need to understand that most moderate individuals in this country will find you to be a fanatical nutcase -- just like they do the fundamentalist religious right. Those who do not practice "live and let live" are radical and extreme and most people don't appreciate either.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2009 7:18:39 AM
"The majority of Americans do trust in God and have for decades. You don't have the right, as atheists, to suppress people's religious views or do away with meaningful phrases that have been around for years that are historical. "

15% of Americans do not even believe in a god let alone trust in one, so saying "In God We Truest" is just a lie. To be "WE Trust" it would need to be every one and it is clear every one does not trust in god. Lots of us know there is no god! May be change it to "in god a majority believe in". See just because you believe in god does not mean you trust in a god. The 15% is getting bigger every year, because we will not be quiet any more. If it continues to trend the way it has, some day more Americans will believe there is no god and that is why you want us to be quiet. We will not be!
 *sass*
Msg: 140
Posted: 10/20/2009 10:39:21 AM
What ridiculous generalizing (and I didn't need google to aid me in this conclusion)

freetime2bme
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2009 2:30:21 PM
My what a lively debate. Good to see only a few are resorting to simple minded name calling and resorting to calling people with dissenting opinions hatters or full of bitterness. That is just sad when posters do that, but I am not suprised as I see people doing stuff like that offten. May be I get out more then some.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  >