Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > DaVinci Code film      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 phatjesus
Msg: 26
view profile
History
DaVinci Code filmPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
As if I'm not sick to death of all the da vinci code fans raving, now I'll have to listen to the same drivel from the illiterate morons as well. I can already hear it now:

"Oh! My! God! That da vinci code was AMAZING!! like, I've never thought those things before! Like wow! What if Jesus was really just a man with a girlfriend! Like that movie totally made me consider the possibility that the bible might NOT be true! It's soooo deep!! And SOO WELL RESEARCHED! DiD you KNOW (insert random "fact" from the da vinci code here)! I didn't know that before either! Thank you Dan Brown/Tom Hanks for enlightening me and showing me the truth about what actually happened! I'm totally gonna read the book now"

UGH.
 Velzy
Msg: 27
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/9/2006 9:36:56 PM
Actually, it was entertaining. I haven't heard anyone really say it changed their religious beliefs or altered their life in any major way...lol...maybe I'm surrounded by normal people
 4everyoung4
Msg: 28
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/9/2006 9:44:51 PM
I agree with you diverjohn...it makes for a great movie. The story is based on the book, "Holy Blood, Holy Grail", which was written 20 years ago. In the introduction of this book it states it is only a Hypothesis....It is a very interesting book and anyone who doesn't mind wading through a non-fiction book would enjoy it. It explains in great detail why they believe Jesus was Married. Personally I think it is a great controversial book it gets people thinking about life...Christians should love this as it brings religion to the forefront of people's mind. I understand their fear that it is a negative...but I believe it will do more good than harm. Faith is the power of religion and Christians should remember to trust in it. I am not meaning to be negative...to anyone's beliefs... I personally enjoy a great debate. I always learn from them..not necessary what I think I am going to...but I don't mind it is all fun. Enjoy the books...I like Deception Point the best of all Dan Brown's books...but I recommend them all. He is very talented writer. Happy reading everyone
 phatjesus
Msg: 29
view profile
History
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/9/2006 10:45:56 PM
The book is horrible. I mean, please, 90 some chapters, EACH ending in a cliffhanger? It's absolutely absurd.

I mean, every 10 pages, the characters are held at gunpoint but... narrowly escape, only to find themselves in an even more precarious situation, but.... oooh, they escape again! close one! but! uh oh! They're trapped again by more people who inexplicably want them dead/captured! Don't worry, our heroes will get away!

And then, we discover that this string of circumstance and lucky breaks was all geniously orchestrated by some brilliant criminal mind! Oh, but it didn't go perfectly for him and we'll all live happily every after.

And Tom Hanks gets the girl too.

Gawd, it's like a plot from scooby doo: "and I woulda got away with it if it weren't for them meddling kids!"

And that's not to mention the fact that dan brown attempts to pass it off as almost based on a true story... His silly disclaimer at the beginning just adds to the illusion that all the works of art/symbols/mathematical irrational numbers he refers to may actually be as he says they are. Any plot/conspiracy theory can be built around some simple symbols and famous works of art. It's not rocket science. It's on par with the other pulp fiction: mike crichton, tom clancy, etc. Fun, easy, "page turning" reading that provides little profound insight.

Sure, it's entertainment for the masses. The masses, in case you haven't noticed, aren't too bright. These are the people who make fear factor, daytime talkshows, wwe, and maxim so popular.
 diverjohn
Msg: 30
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/10/2006 6:48:35 AM
Question for the Christians on this forum:
If it were true that Jesus conceived a child through Mary Magdalene, would it alter or lessen your belief in his teachings? And how so?
 phatjesus
Msg: 31
view profile
History
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/10/2006 10:11:11 PM
dj: .

You're talking about christians here... The fundamentalist ones believe the bible is infallible, therefore, they will never admit to anything in it being wrong... PARTICULARLY the immaculate conception, virgin birth, the perfection of jesus, the crucifixion and resurrection. I think sleeping with a hooker would have fallen under perfection of jesus.

Now, the non-fundamentalist christians would need some pretty hard evidence of a relationship between jesus and mm... now since we really don't have any good hard evidence of much from those days, you probably won't convince anybody, I don't care what da vinci, disney, dan brown, or the knights templar tell you.

Now, if by chance, there was some overwhelming evidence, the fundamentalist christians would obviously deny it like the idiots they are. (just look at them scrambling to "disprove" evolution)

The non-fundamentalist ones would say that it obviously has no effect on the wisdom in Jesus' words.

That's what I say too, as a non-practicing christian.
 Warrior612
Msg: 32
view profile
History
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/10/2006 11:25:57 PM

Question for the Christians on this forum:
If it were true that Jesus conceived a child through Mary Magdalene, would it alter or lessen your belief in his teachings? And how so?

It's a moot point, because no one will ever be able to prove that he did... mostly because it didn't happen. Jesus did not partake in earthly relationships with women. Even if some mouldy old scroll claimed that he did, I wouldn't believe it.
 Warrior612
Msg: 33
view profile
History
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/10/2006 11:27:20 PM

Now, if by chance, there was some overwhelming evidence, the fundamentalist christians would obviously deny it like the idiots they are. (just look at them scrambling to "disprove" evolution)

There is no conclusive evidence that the process of evolution linked humanity with apes.

Darwinism and evolution are just as much of a religion as Christianity is.
 phatjesus
Msg: 34
view profile
History
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/11/2006 12:11:27 AM
Jesus did not partake in earthly relationships with women. Even if some mouldy old scroll claimed that he did, I wouldn't believe it.

WOW. Logic once again surrenders.

So.... some mouldy old scroll tells you that Jesus "did not partake in earthly relationships with women", and you believe it without question (you say "mostly because it didn't happen" so matter of factly!!)....

But if a different scroll came along refuting that other one, you would not believe it.

Forget scientific evidence, forget any evidence whatsoever!!

There is no conclusive evidence that the process of evolution linked humanity with apes.

first of all... conclusive evidence? I'm talking about "overwhelming" evidence, or "pretty hard" evidence... terms which imply that other theories may be possible, even if extremely unlikely. If you want to talk about conclusive evidence, I'll show you volumes upon volumes of scientific evidence explaining to you that the theory of evolution is MUCH more complex than merely "LINKING HUMANITY WITH APES"... you obviously have a great grasp of the scientific process.

Darwinism and evolution are just as much of a religion as Christianity is.

No... darwinism and evolution are theories that explain the way nature is. They are theories that are constantly being tweaked everytime we get new results from new studies, and they are consistent with a great deal of physical evidence. This is called SCIENCE.

a RELIGION, on the other hand, is a belief in something with very little evidence. It is this belief in the face of a tremendous lack of evidence that we call FAITH.

It takes a great deal of faith (and foolishness) to believe completely in something with little or no evidence, and to continue that belief even when presented with new evidence that indicates the contrary.

Take your little tales of gods creating the world and put them next to the narnia cronicles. Stop demanding tax breaks and rights just to "practice" your "religion"....

I believe in the flying spaghetti monster and my friends worship in my house... can I please stop paying taxes, claim religious discrimination when things don't go my way, and harass people by pushing my beliefs in their face? Maybe I, too, can destroy some entire cultures by converting them to my religion!! You know what would be really great? If my kids go around school judging the other kids and telling them all they're going to hell if they don't convert. Or better yet, a war or two fought in the name of the fsm!!

edit: Now that I've caught my breath, I realised I'm dealing with a fundamentalist. Like the one I described in my post above, these creatures will always claim the infalibility of their bible no matter what. These are the people who jailed gallileo. These are the people who would disown a gay brother, but invite the wife beating brother to christmas dinner. These are the good folks who preach that they shouldn't judge, but then tell you you're going to hell if you don't believe in their god. These are the logically retarded of our society who somehow miss the incongruity of a benevolent god who apparently condemns most souls to hell, simply because these people have not yet been shown the true path to the lord.. .Jesus Christ!!

Jesus Christ!!!
 Warrior612
Msg: 35
view profile
History
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/11/2006 12:34:50 AM
Sigh. where to begin.

"WOW. Logic once again surrenders.

So.... some mouldy old scroll tells you that Jesus "did not partake in earthly relationships with women", and you believe it without question (you say "mostly because it didn't happen" so matter of factly!!)....

But if a different scroll came along refuting that other one, you would not believe it.

Forget scientific evidence, forget any evidence whatsoever!!"

Funny how thousands of different sources all correlate to describe the life of Jesus. Not one of them mentions anything about intimitate encounters... but clearly I should throw out centuries old beliefs, with thousands of sources to back it up if one scroll is discovered that says otherwise.

No... darwinism and evolution are theories that explain the way nature is. They are theories that are constantly being tweaked everytime we get new results from new studies, and they are consistent with a great deal of physical evidence. This is called SCIENCE.

Ok. But remember that Christianity is not static as well. Christianity is nothing like it used to be... compare the religion of the Byzantine empire with the Anglican church of today. You could say that "new discoveries" helped evolve Christian theology and structure. By your argument, there is little difference between evolution and science and religion.

Funny how scientific theory also requires FAITH. It's also funny how many top scientists are beginning to believe in intelligent design.

I believe in the flying spaghetti monster and my friends worship in my house... can I please stop paying taxes, claim religious discrimination when things don't go my way, and harass people by pushing my beliefs in their face? Maybe I, too, can destroy some entire cultures by converting them to my religion!! You know what would be really great? If my kids go around school judging the other kids and telling them all they're going to hell if they don't convert. Or better yet, a war or two fought in the name of the fsm!!

Now it's just becoming clear that these are the rantings of a small, puerile individual. I'm not here to defend the historical wrongs of the Catholic church (it's important to make that distinction), or apologize for my personal beliefs, any more than I am here to explain my religion in detail to a person like you. I am not a theologian.

edit: Now that I've caught my breath, I realised I'm dealing with a fundamentalist. Like the one I described in my post above, these creatures will always claim the infalibility of their bible no matter what. These are the people who jailed gallileo. These are the people who would disown a gay brother, but invite the wife beating brother to christmas dinner. These are the good folks who preach that they shouldn't judge, but then tell you you're going to hell if you don't believe in their god. These are the logically retarded of our society who somehow miss the incongruity of a benevolent god who apparently condemns most souls to hell, simply because these people have not yet been shown the true path to the lord.. .Jesus Christ!!

It's funny how you mock me for not understanding evolution fully - which I admit, I do not, but I probably know more about it that you think, being a student of archaeology - and my lack of respect for facts and processes, but you go on to claim that I'm some sort of deranged wife beating, violent southern fundamentalist, without knowing any of the personal details of my life. Do you not see how this contradicts with what you posted earlier?

Just for the record, Matthew 7:1 happens to be one of my favourite verses. Essentially it is "Judge not lest ye be judged". I have sikh, atheist, and many other friends that you'd assume I condemn to hell. It isn't my place to assign their fate.

Your xenophobic hate towards those you call 'fundamentalists' discredits you. I've had better arguments with first year college kids. Grow up, come back, and try again.

EDIT: Just saw your profile, and noticed this:

"Do you do drugs?Often (>3 times/week)"

That might explain a few things.
 phatjesus
Msg: 36
view profile
History
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/11/2006 12:57:37 AM
first of all, I just saw your profile and noticed that you drink !! *gasp!!!* that might explain a few things!!

Oh, sorry, I forgot, one of the fundamentalist rules is that drinking.. good.. drugs... bad. No reason necessary. the law is all we need.

Now, I see you have trouble with reading comprehension. I did NOT suggest that you were violent or a wife beater. I was suggesting that many fundamentalists would rather accept a wife beater than accept a fag in their lives. Trust me, I've seen it several times. Liars, cheats, etc. will be forgiven, but take it up the aS s and you're shunned from the community.

There are NO top scientists that are starting to believe in ID. That's just what your christian propaganda is telling you. Their definition of "top scientist" is somewhat controversial.

If anything, more and more scientists are feeling comfortable finally to come out and say that they do NOT believe in a higher power. I'm glad I live in a day and age where scientists can finally commit the heresy and blasphemy of contradicting the bible with little fear of reprecussion... Well, that is unless they want to do stem cell research. Funny how fundamentalists go balistic to save the lives of the unborn or the clinically dead (see terry schiavo), but seem to care very little for the lives of those who are still living (see rwanda, iraq, sudan)

Now, your logic takes another strange curve here.... You say that a scroll couldn't change your opinion on jesus' virtue, but then in the next post, you give me a little lesson about how much christianity is CHANGING!! WOW! so.... You WILL change your beliefs based on new evidence? okay, now do you have a set system on deciding what things to change? What about the new gospel of Judas? No good? What about a shroud of turin? That's probably a good one, huh? No rhyme or reason, just whatever feels better, right, buddy?
 Warrior612
Msg: 37
view profile
History
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/11/2006 1:49:32 AM
first of all, I just saw your profile and noticed that you drink !! *gasp!!!* that might explain a few things!!

Oh, sorry, I forgot, one of the fundamentalist rules is that drinking.. good.. drugs... bad. No reason necessary. the law is all we need.

Now, I see you have trouble with reading comprehension. I did NOT suggest that you were violent or a wife beater. I was suggesting that many fundamentalists would rather accept a wife beater than accept a fag in their lives. Trust me, I've seen it several times. Liars, cheats, etc. will be forgiven, but take it up the aS s and you're shunned from the community.

There are NO top scientists that are starting to believe in ID. That's just what your christian propaganda is telling you. Their definition of "top scientist" is somewhat controversial.

If anything, more and more scientists are feeling comfortable finally to come out and say that they do NOT believe in a higher power. I'm glad I live in a day and age where scientists can finally commit the heresy and blasphemy of contradicting the bible with little fear of reprecussion... Well, that is unless they want to do stem cell research. Funny how fundamentalists go balistic to save the lives of the unborn or the clinically dead (see terry schiavo), but seem to care very little for the lives of those who are still living (see rwanda, iraq, sudan)

Now, your logic takes another strange curve here.... You say that a scroll couldn't change your opinion on jesus' virtue, but then in the next post, you give me a little lesson about how much christianity is CHANGING!! WOW! so.... You WILL change your beliefs based on new evidence? okay, now do you have a set system on deciding what things to change? What about the new gospel of Judas? No good? What about a shroud of turin? That's probably a good one, huh? No rhyme or reason, just whatever feels better, right, buddy?

Rant on brother, rant on.

Your diatribes firmly reinforce my position.

You have successfully proven that you are the intolerant one here, full of hate and contempt for those that have embraced what they know to be true.

Way to assume you know exactly why I drink and do not do drugs! Perhaps it was - gasp - a personal choice, and had nothing to do with my faith and the law? But what's this??? A Christian thinking for himself! Inconceivable, right?

I'm a 4th year history major, firmly within the honour roll. I know how to interpret. But then, I do admit that I'm having trouble reading through your pathetic drivel. You clearly infered that I was fundamentalist myself, and thus by default I would be included within your definitions.

You also offer no proof, only opinion for your claims that fundamentalists would tolerate a wife beater over a "fag". I'm not going to 'trust' you on this, because I've spent five years of my life tearing apart the opinions of overated scholars already, and I won't hesitate to dismantle someone on a message board if they have no proof to back up their claims.

Well, that is unless they want to do stem cell research. Funny how fundamentalists go balistic to save the lives of the unborn or the clinically dead (see terry schiavo), but seem to care very little for the lives of those who are still living (see rwanda, iraq, sudan)

Thanks for the mass generalizations. You're doing yourself credit here.

Now, your logic takes another strange curve here.... You say that a scroll couldn't change your opinion on jesus' virtue, but then in the next post, you give me a little lesson about how much christianity is CHANGING!!

I gave you a brief history lesson. The main belief of Christianity - that Jesus was the son of God and that he died on the Cross for humanity has not changed for 2000 years, and is the mainstay of Christian faith. But the theology and interpretation surrounding the Word of God has undergone much interpretation. Gah. I shouldn't have to explain this to an adult.

What about the new gospel of Judas? No good? What about a shroud of turin? That's probably a good one, huh? No rhyme or reason, just whatever feels better, right, buddy?

What about the gospel of Judas? It was written over a century after Jesus' death and ressurection. There is also a strong possibility that it is fake. The tourin shroud? I don't know enough about it to make a judgment on it. What was your exact question about it? Please be clearer.

No rhyme or reason, just whatever feels better, right, buddy?

Haha this is gold. You're the inconsistent one here my friend. First you criticize Christians, dismissing them as bigots and fanatics, yet you yourself are displaying far more intolerance for other ideas than I ever have...

The whole point of my argument is that science, and by default evolutionary theory = faith. No variables and "facts" can ever be proven 100 percent. You should know this. Human observation is imperfect, as is the scientific method. It requires FAITH to survive.

"No rhyme or reason" eh.... well, my faith has been consistent for my entire life. I question my religion everyday, and it allows me to grow as a person and to better know God. It is also based around the Bible, which is a hell of a lot (pardon the pun) more solid than scientific theory which will be disproven in a century.
 ragdoll_bc
Msg: 38
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/11/2006 8:01:03 AM
I'm not going to step into the middle of this one but I did want to complement both Warrior and PhatJesus on their well written words, proper punctuation and use of grammar. Content aside, I love reading well written material something rarely seen in forums.

I'm certain talking to the two of you in person would be equally enjoyable.

Regards,
Ragz
 Brad II
Msg: 39
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/11/2006 8:11:10 AM
so anyway...back to the movie...

did you know the biggest problem with test audiences had with the film was Hank's haircut?

...it is a little mullet-esque, but his hair was FAR worse in Castaway!
 Crazy_Blonde
Msg: 40
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/11/2006 11:22:00 AM
Now to throw more onto the frying pan,looool. Why did phatjesus , yike what a nic for this discussion only ask the Christians what they think of the Prophet Jesus (PBUH), being depicted in this way? The relgion of Islam, also beleif in the Prophet Jesus (PBUH), however their beleifs do differ from that of the Christian, also the religion of Islam, has not changed with time, as Christianity has.

This has always amazed me, at how any religion can change with the times, if it is truly the word of God ? How do the laws of God change with times, if one really beleifs the original bible? But then again the bibile has changed with time.

This doenst seem right to me somehow...as the society became more accepting of certain behaviours then Christianity changed to accept more of these behaviours that in the 1800's would have been considered deviant behaviours, and are still considered deviant behaviors according to Islam.

However, I also did read in the Bible, where Jesus (PBUH)said, "do not worship me, I am not a God", so how did it become the way to worship him?? Oh and that was in the New Testament (as we all know Christians no longer beleive in the Old Testament). To me, and to many others, Jesus (pbuh), was a great MAN, that did many GREAT things, however he was just a MAN.

I think Christians have no right to be uspet by this movie, they have allowed their religion to change with the times, thusly people have the freedoms now to depict anything in any light. If they are upset by it, then why do they not organize huge protests???? Or are they scared to stand up for their convictions????

CB
 maurice7
Msg: 41
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/11/2006 11:48:30 AM
Warrior you are right on dude. It will be a flop and I know there are alot a people on POF that feel this way .
 Warrior612
Msg: 42
view profile
History
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/11/2006 1:46:58 PM
This has always amazed me, at how any religion can change with the times, if it is truly the word of God ? How do the laws of God change with times, if one really beleifs the original bible? But then again the bibile has changed with time.

This doenst seem right to me somehow...as the society became more accepting of certain behaviours then Christianity changed to accept more of these behaviours that in the 1800's would have been considered deviant behaviours, and are still considered deviant behaviors according to Islam.

You have a point. However, you should realize that the Bible - apart from the Protestant removal of the Apocrypha in the 1500's - has changed little over the years, and true believers still use it as an authoritative guide. Unfortunately some churches - ie the United Church - have 'bent' much of the basics and distorted Biblical teaching.

You have to understand that human nature and opinion changes. That is why the Bible and its teachings should not be altered to change with the times. As far as I know though, Islamic teaching has become more moderate in recent years (except for the militant hardliners of course) so Christianitiy is not alone here.

However, I also did read in the Bible, where Jesus (PBUH)said, "do not worship me, I am not a God", so how did it become the way to worship him?? Oh and that was in the New Testament (as we all know Christians no longer beleive in the Old Testament). To me, and to many others, Jesus (pbuh), was a great MAN, that did many GREAT things, however he was just a MAN.

What? Not in any Bible I've read. Please send me a passage and tell me the edition you read. Jesus was the son of God, and through him the whole world may be saved. This is the basic premise of the New Testament.

Here is a verse for you:

(Bible is NIV - New Internation Version)

John 3:16: For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

John 3:17: For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Seems clear enough to me.

I think Christians have no right to be uspet by this movie, they have allowed their religion to change with the times, thusly people have the freedoms now to depict anything in any light. If they are upset by it, then why do they not organize huge protests???? Or are they scared to stand up for their convictions????

Of course we have a right to be upset by the movie. It criticizes our deepest beliefs and pokes fun at our traditions. Just as Muslims would be upset by any negative depiction of Muhammed, so are we upset at stuff like this. However, we do not express our beliefs in radical protests and violence, but rather express discontent through boycotts, churches, etc... We realize that we live in a democracy, and also that everyone has a right to their opinion.
 Warrior612
Msg: 43
view profile
History
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/11/2006 1:49:29 PM

Warrior you are right on dude. It will be a flop and I know there are alot a people on POF that feel this way .

Thanks.

I think I'm done posting in this thread anyways. It's just turning into a defense of Christianity, and this isn't what I signed up for
 phatjesus
Msg: 44
view profile
History
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/11/2006 2:55:50 PM

First you criticize Christians, dismissing them as bigots and fanatics, yet you yourself are displaying far more intolerance for other ideas than I ever have...

first of all, warrior, I'm not critisizing christians. I'm critisizing the one particular brand of christian... the fundamentalist. I realise that all christians aren't as I describe, or even the majority in Canada (the U.S, maybe, I don't know) but they certainly are the most vocal, outspoken, damaging, and yes, INTOLERANT of all the christians. In fact, I identify myself as a christian. I come from a christian heritage with christian values. Heck, I used to play piano at church every sunday. I've read the bible (several times) and it's one of my favorite books. The prose is beautifully written, it's full of great knowledge and great wise quotes. Some of it makes for a neat story, and there's plenty of weird sex and violence if that's your thing too..

You have successfully proven that you are the intolerant one here, full of hate and contempt for those that have embraced what they know to be true.

You want to speak of TOLERANCE? I think the words "what they KNOW to be true" display more intolerance than you realise. I'm the one who IS open to other ideas. I don't think evolution=fact. It's our best explanation of life based on the physical evidence we have. That's a lot more than I can say about some hearsay story about a virgin birth, a burning bush, and a person rising from the dead. What physical evidence is there in any of this? Oh yeah, we have a book telling the tale... a book that was written based on hearsay and verbal stories passed down through centuries, then translated, and changed in the past 2000 years for political reasons by various religious leaders. Excuse me for not putting more consideration into the possibility of your stories being "truth" based on all your overwhelming evidence!! See, whereas I'm open to accepting more evidence and changing what I believe to be the most probable explanation of things based on new and changing evidence. That makes me the openminded tolerant one. Fundamentalist christians who "KNOW" the bible to be true are NOT open to ANY theory that doesn't include miraculous virgin births, sons of god, etc.

If by INTOLERANT, you mean that I speak up against ignorance, then yes, I'm intolerant. Ignorance is allowing things like tax exemptions for certain groups who believe in some faith, but not others, "missions" to convert people using manipulative tactics, forcing teachers to teach ID in science as a legitimate alternate theory.

THE most intolerant people I know are fundamentalists. Sure, they'll tolerate your belief in buddha, or whoever, but if you dare disobey THEIR bible, they'll judge you (ironically), call you a heathen, try to save you, and tell you how you should be living your life. THey'll attempt to put THEIR beliefs into law, forcing all to share in their values (see: the fundamentalist opposition to gay marriage). They most definitely WON'T tolerate you doing things their god says are wrong.

But the theology and interpretation surrounding the Word of God has undergone much interpretation.

Ahh, so now you ARE admitting that perhaps there has been some meddling with the book you believe to be the "truth"? What makes you so convinced that it's not mostly made up?

As a disclaimer, I must make it clear that I'm just bashing the extremists here... The ones who claim to "KNOW" the "TRUTH"... the ones who think they are the only enlightened ones and whomever doesn't believe in their Jesus and all he did will be certainly burning in hell for eternity. I'm sorry, but these people I will NOT TOLERATE ANYMORE. These beliefs they have cause nothing but problems in our society.

I have no problem whatsoever for the more meek christians who keep their beliefs to themselves without attempting to force them on others. I have no problem with christians who obey Jesus' teachings by doing good deeds, giving, refraining from passing judgement, practicing supreme pacifism, etc. We need MORE christians like these. Unfortunately, fundamentalists are the non-passifistic, agressive, non-meek, judgemental people of this world.
 MacKenzie5507
Msg: 45
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/13/2006 6:40:56 PM
Ok then, obviously some of you have no interest in seeing the movie, I still intend to finish the book and go see the movie, anyone care to come along? Perhaps we can have an evening out that doesn't turn into a big theological debate but just an enjoyable night at the movies. ( Maybe Poseidon would be a less threatening movie topic)
 bean2p
Msg: 46
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/13/2006 8:45:09 PM
I have read the book its an awesome one and I am looking foward to the movie..

as for all the theological debates....to those who say you would like a scroll that says that Jesus was intimate with Mary Magdelane....well...if you read the Gnostic gospels ...( scrolls found around the time of the dead sea scrolls but bedause of the contreversial subject were considered fake ...but hey they are worth reading) any hoo....there is a verse there that talks about how one of the disciples were jealous of his love of Mary etc...doesnt come out and say that they were intimate but implies.

and really....HOW HORRIBLE would it be if Jesus married Mary Magdelene and had children??
the bible teaches about being married, how to love your wife/husband etc.....so wouldnt he be just a grand example of that?? ....Ok my 10 cents...lol
 diverjohn
Msg: 47
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/14/2006 9:58:11 AM
Warrior and PhatJesus:
Is there any relevance to whether or not Jesus and Mary were wed?
In Hebrew society at that time it would have been un-likely a man in his early 30s were NOT wed. Furthermore, there is nothing in the Bible on the subject, which gives rise to speculation that his marriage was not mentioned intentionally.
Would you comment on this?
 Velzy
Msg: 48
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/21/2006 1:59:55 PM
I just saw the film and I really liked it My friend that went with me had not read the book, and he too liked the film. Obviously there was no way to get all the details from the book into the film, but it was done very well in my opinion.

Reading the book was quite a different experience for me. For me when reading the book, the chase scenes and narrowly escaping chapters were exciting to read. Seeing it up on the screen, and after reading the post above with the Scooby Doo reference, I can see where an average movie goer may not enjoy the action sequences in the movie. Sorry, the MIB, XXX, and Mission Impossible movie enthusiasts may be disappointed in this film!
 Hal 9000
Msg: 49
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/21/2006 2:46:08 PM
To step into the fray, I believe this film purports to question through a mixture of fact and fiction the process through which inherited knowledge is passed down. The mystery thriller makes no claim to be reliable academic scholarship.

However, we know in hindsight, the Catholic church was responsible for a rigorous program of censorship beginning under the reign of Constantine and the meeting of Micea to forbid the circulation of seemingly questionable, doubt inspiring texts such as the Gospel of Philip and later, the writings of Greek antiquity. The writings of Philip seem to suggest that Magdelene and Christ were 'companions'. In Hebrew this word companion is used flexibly and loosely to mean 'wife'. The Davinci Code, hinges on linguistic debates such as these.

The controversy of this thriller arises mostly from the fundamentalist sects themselves, who fear this film will mislead flock of lost and bewildered sheep. These 'fundamentalists' carry a very dim view on the mob mentality of humanity, so prone to error and sinful blunderings that they attempt to control and monitor very closely doctrine that is more comfortably interpreted when left absolute in its current form.
 HongPhooey
Msg: 50
view profile
History
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/21/2006 7:52:22 PM
Horrible film. Did Tom Hanks have a stroke and forget how to act? Story was fine, nothing amazing or eye-opening about it though. I mean, if you didn't already know Jesus and Santa both great bedtime stories I guess it might have been interesting to think about for the first time but personally, issues like this I worked out during my pre-adolescent years. And the bit about the Church lying to people for centuries? Was it really that shocking that the world's only incorporated country, the world's wealthiest landowner and the same people that brought you priests molesting young boys, would ever be feassble of deceiving and oppressing the naive of the world in a crazy scheme to turn a small profit?
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > DaVinci Code film