Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why do I look good in mirror but not pictures?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 zentral
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Why do I look good in mirror but not pictures?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
The biggest difference between the mirror and a photo is that you see yourself alive and animated in a mirror - no odd expressions are maintained long enough to matter - whereas in a photo you capture an instant, and unless the photographer is exceptional, the photo does not convey life. A photo is static, and emphasizes the flaws. A live person is dynamic, which minimizes the flaws.
 Athletic_funny1
Msg: 27
Why do I look good in mirror but not pictures?
Posted: 5/10/2006 8:53:52 AM
It could have to do with lighting but usually changing rooms have dimm lighting to make you look better.

Some people are just not photogenic. I have a beautiful friend who has the same problem. Her photo's are kind of unattractive but in person WOW.

Also the camera absolutely adds weight and dimmension. Makes your head seem a bit bigger than it really is.

I only look like myself in about 10% of my pics.
 Athletic_funny1
Msg: 28
Posted: 5/10/2006 8:59:20 AM
I also agree with zentral. Along his lines. If you drink or do drugs an unhealthy image will be more prevalent in a photo than in real life.
 prolibertate
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/10/2006 11:55:36 AM
OP, no one looks good in changing room mirrors...and some people simply don't photograph well, while others photograph much better than they look in person; a lot of it has to do with bone structure, while some of it has to do with lighting, camera angles, etc. Black and white photography is generally more flattering to many people than color is. You should try some experiments using different lighting indoors, take some pictures outdoors, try various angles and some black and white film. I'm sure you'll find a good picture in there.
 nipoleon
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2006 12:18:33 PM
For one thing the reflection in the mirror is your face reversed. The left is on the right and the right is on the left. That's not how you really look.
If you like your inverted mirror image better, reverse the picture in your computer before posting it.
There are special inverted mirrors you can buy which give your true appearance.
 sandybeeches
Msg: 31
Posted: 5/10/2006 12:20:51 PM
Well spent, that is not the most desirable name on this kind of board. Maybe in the pictures you look spent? Just a thought.
 picker_grinner
Msg: 32
Posted: 5/10/2006 12:33:08 PM
I 've never been able to tell for sure. Every time I try to look at myself in the mirror it breaks. If I reverse a picture, will it give me the same effect?
 loveabledork
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2006 1:49:36 PM
That's because your bathroom mirrors are probably foggy
 hapeenurse
Msg: 34
Posted: 5/10/2006 2:57:40 PM
I've never been photogenic, bless my poor mother she always put my school pictures up anyway but I have to wonder why! I think most people look better in person than in pictures , with the exception of airbrushed celebrities and models.
 AnnudderVoice
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/10/2006 3:01:33 PM
OP, no offence meant, but, dang - your pic isn't exactly bright 'n cheery, either.

Could it be that your mood affects your pictures?

Hard to tell. I'm squinting, but I still can't see your picture.

Hope your life picks up for you.

Annudder
 countryslim01
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/10/2006 3:34:35 PM
I think we all see ourselves different than the camera does. It's image is not based on hope.

I look my best when I'm drunk on Te-killya and one-eyed, but look like Sheet the next morning..
 Majestic_Lizard_Returns
Msg: 37
Posted: 5/10/2006 3:38:48 PM
OP:
You probably do look good, and women probably think so. However, if you don't have deep pockets it may seem like you look like some type of circus attraction based on the behavior of women toward you.
 rocknrollin
Msg: 38
Posted: 5/10/2006 3:48:28 PM

the best advice
is usually to just show your best side in pictures, its usually the left side of the face for
most people, I believe

Heh, totally! I didn't realize for years, that I have a "best" angle; at least, what I consider to be a much better angle. Alot of people know that they have a better side, too.....this one guy I know, he has sort of a wonky left eye, and i've noticed that he tries to show the right side of his face more,on not so much of a direct contact.

OP: It depends on the lighting, too. Rare is the occasion when anyone can look great under harsh flourescent lighting.
 spent
Msg: 39
Posted: 5/10/2006 5:53:20 PM
None of the responses are very helpful. The mirror reverses the image; yes; but is that relevant : No, it's not.

You people obviously need an education. The most important factor in the appearance of the face is the level of adrenaline in your body. In the morning, you look like crap because you are relaxed and so are the muscles in your face. Nervous people always look young ie asians.
If you are outside, face the sun when you take a picture and you will look 20 yrs younger.
Always have the camera above you so you are looking up towards camera. Take hundreds of pics and pick the best ones. Make sure your hair is freshly washed and combed properly.
Lighting is the answer. Should have known better than pose such a complicated question in these forums.
 Majestic_Lizard_Returns
Msg: 40
Posted: 5/10/2006 6:05:04 PM
Just replace your pic with one of a new Ford Cobra. Trust me, you'll get tons of responses. It will put everything in perspective for you.
 picker_grinner
Msg: 41
Posted: 5/10/2006 6:12:01 PM

Always have the camera above you so you are looking up towards camera.

That's easier said than done ... Besides, nobody will ever see me like that unless they are on a ladder... or... never mind.
 Markvegas
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2006 6:24:26 PM
Same issue here, which is why I have no close-up pics. I get complements now and then from women about my looks, but my pics I look like a DUI mug shot
 AngelicusBraticus
Msg: 43
Posted: 5/10/2006 6:31:37 PM
Spent

If you know all the answers, why are you asking the question? Yes, we all obviously need an education, in not answering morons like you.
 Feedback1
Msg: 44
Posted: 6/10/2008 2:09:00 PM
Lighting....may the problem....bathroom lighting fixtures are placed or should place in the best spot so you can see yourself well in the mirror......they know you are going use that mirror to check out your face, eyes, hair etc etc but in the changing room mirror it's to show the entire body....not just your face....also it longer.....just a thought.
 galonthemt
Msg: 45
Posted: 6/10/2008 2:18:00 PM
Our perception of ourselves in the mirror is distorted.........the camera doesnt lie..

I take a great picture......but my date from hell has delteted them all and I cant upload more..........gotta love a stalker............

Happy now you creep?????????????????
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 46
Posted: 6/10/2008 2:26:47 PM

I almost always look good in my bathroom mirror but have never got a picture that looks as good and I have tried very hard. I dont look good in changing room mirror ; just bathroom mirrors.

LMAO ~ Revived threads do have their charms.

~OT~ We all view ourselves the way we choose to. As others have said: pictures usually don't lie. (Except for those glamour pics, and PhotoShop edit versions. )
 ScruffyDude
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 6/10/2008 2:29:24 PM

We all view ourselves the way we choose to. As others have said: pictures usually don't lie. (Except for those glamour pics, and PhotoShop edit versions. )

VGE remember ? the camera adds 10 pounds.
 Son Shine
Msg: 48
Posted: 6/10/2008 2:37:56 PM
How many drinks have you had when you look in the mirror ?

When you look in the mirror you know how to look your very best but when someone is taking your pic you can't see if you are striking that James Bond pose just right ?
 Michaelann
Msg: 49
Posted: 6/10/2008 2:45:07 PM
Well its usually hard to get a pic in the bathroom mirror. - raspberries n cream

There's actually a trick to that, my mother-in-law taught me. You can't do it yourself (I would think), unless your
camera has a timer & you have it on a tripod or something similar. The person taking the picture has be at an
angle behind & below you, so they & the flash are not reflected in the mirror. I took some of my boyfriend last
year & they came out terrific!

But, as many people have said here, some people just are't photogenic, although in my experience, that can
fixed, sometimes. I used to be VERY un-photogenic. But once, a friend of mine, we went to my favorite artificial
waterfall, to hang out & write poetry. We had fun & he made me laugh & he took some absolutely amazing,
beautiful pictures of me. The best thing, with those "point & shoots" (auto-focus, or/no focus), is you don't have
time to tense up & lose that perfect shot. It's all that waiting for focus adjustments & stuff, that often ruins the
moment.
 Heart Bandit
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/10/2008 5:20:39 PM
My mirror just up and ran away the other day. Said it was cruel and unusual punishment when I looked at it. Facial abuse is what it said.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why do I look good in mirror but not pictures?