Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Alberta  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 queenrhiannon
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Cigarette butts...Page 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
well if she would have read my post - she would have read that i grind with my boot and sweep it into the street if THERE ISN'T AN CEMENT ASHTRAY OUTSIDE - I USUALLY LOOK FOR ONE IF I AM WALKING -geese girl - do all of us a favour - light up jojo - maybe it would make you less btchy lol...

I never EVER throw a butt outside the window. And I so agree with the gum on the ground (and gobs of mucus - ) - everytime I see some jerk snark then spit on the sidewalk - it makes my skin crawl - I usually tell them to use a friggin kleenex - and as expected they call me a btch or something - usually say thank you,(I consider the B word a compliment - took many years of practice lol)

But litter on a whole - it is wrong. Gawd downtown in a windstorm god forbid if you have long hair (or hairspray in) - you get all sorts of interesting things in your do when you get home.
Um one thing we forgot to mention - how about used condoms? I have noticed that they are being thrown on the sidewalk/street much more - talk about hit and run - or its hookers they are picking up - not sure - but now THAT IS DISGUSTING. I remember walking down jasper ave with my niece when she was 5 and saw one she asked me auntie what is that? Had to tell her mom so she could try to explain it.
And I remember when I had my drumkit - down by Long and McQuade - all the friggin needles
 queenrhiannon
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Cigarette butts...
Posted: 5/11/2006 10:00:51 PM
Jojo FOR GODS SAKES LIGHT UP!
I said I do do that - its you that is making a mountain out of a molehill - please take a chill pill - nobody wants to read an arguement you are trying to start.
nice comeback with the peroxide - again friggin chill out or light up....
I am not going to state what I said - people can read back if they want to waste their time on this stupid arguement you are again trying to start...I have some funky pain killers if you want to borrow one - they make you see homer simpson dance across the living room - me thinks you desperately need one!

Yes it is harder for others to quit.
I did quit at one time - when I concentrated on jogging and weights. I needed more lung capacity - and smoking became gross to me. Then the car accident - and I started up again. But I was smoke free for a year. And I don't have a weak will - for what I have been through in the last four years - ending with this surgery - (including deaths of loved ones, the one I was going to marry cheating on me) - I think I have a pretty damn strong will and mind.
 queenrhiannon
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Cigarette butts...
Posted: 5/11/2006 10:04:50 PM
Lots of stress and depression - yes.
It was my hip damaged so I couldn't do the jogging, etc that I normally did - and the doc put me on pills that damaged my liver, took all my energy out of me - and did a multitude of other interesting things to my insides. (side note - anyone if the doc wants to put you on pills that you are concerned about - do research on it - one of them he put me on was known to cause liver damage - but its known in the states, not in Canada).
But I have cut down - not ready to quit just yet. But when I am ready I will.
I don't have any other vices right now (due to the liver damage - wasn't able to even have a glass of wine - and used to make beer, wine, mead, absinthe), so the smoking did increase - but its cut about in half.
Baby steps.
 designingwoman
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Cigarette butts...
Posted: 5/11/2006 10:14:48 PM
I agree that in general littering is wrong. But there are safety issues to consider. If a smoker cannot find a public ashtray, then he has little choice but to put the butt on the ground, grind it and put it on the street. I'd rather that than the spit and gum on the ground. EEEEEEWWWWWWW!!! Or worse dumping the lit cigarette into a trash barrel, possibly causing a fire.

Live butts thrown on the ground and left to burn or cigarettes flicked out a car window are more problematic, and make me very mad This is a severe safety hazard that can cause fires, lost homes and businesses and worst of all people die in those fires sometimes!!

Let's put it in perspective. Has anyone died from a ground out cigarette butt on the ground? No. Has anyone died from a flicked cigarette resulting in a fire? Yes.

There you have it!!
 queenrhiannon
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Cigarette butts...
Posted: 5/11/2006 10:41:55 PM
Being injured - yah I know its not good for me - may I ask what your vices are? Do you drink when you get stressed? A little weed? Some people handle things differently - you try and have the last 3 years that I have had and see if you don't come out of it a little nuts. Again - turn your anger into something more constructive - like going after drinking and driving - your hatred for smokers is slightly un-nerving.

Designing women...
I agree with you. Its not like I am going to start a forest fire by doing what I do on the very RARE occassion - again - I usually put them out in the cement ashtrays outside buildings - if you are downtown almost every building has one.
But some like to make things a bit too personal - they enjoy it and not mentioning names - but has been banned off the boards a few times.

I don't know what this hatred of smokers are. Again - there are much more important issues in this city. And if you talk litter - ciggies don't make up the whole lot. Again, don't hear anyone complaining about condoms, needles, people throwing garbage out their car windows, gum, gob etc....
But again as a smoker the ciggie butt out the car window does drive me nuts.

Designing women - thanks for keeping a clear head and not going off topic!
 queenrhiannon
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Cigarette butts...
Posted: 5/12/2006 12:34:38 PM
edmonguy you are so right!
In fact the other day when I was at the pharmacy - someone left their tim hortons cup with a snotty kleenex in it at the counter...
And the timmies cups lining the streets - you know you are in Alberta!
I think it comes down to lack of respect for your surroundings. Again when you are walking downtown and there is a lot of wind - you have things flying at you - cups, dirty kleenex, subway bags, Mc D's containers, even socks (what is with the single socks lying on the roads?)
And when I worked downtown - a lot of the 'Suits' were guilty as well. At noon while we were outside having a smoke in the designated areas - we would see them throw their trash in the street - when they were not 3 blocks away from a garbage.
I have to go for a walk today - and I bet I am going to have to play hopscotch with the gob and gum on the sidewalk - ewww!
 ~LoriMac~
Msg: 82
Cigarette butts...
Posted: 5/12/2006 1:10:29 PM
I would have to agree with ya AAL...for once lol....claiming a cig butt is going to blow up a car or burn down the city is just plain fear mongering...just as this thread isnt about litter in general or name calling. I do think its gotten as discussed as its going to get though....i think its more an issue of people imposing thier will on others...smokers are littering and contaminating air...non smokers want to control smoking to a point where its not possible to do it anymore...anywhere... littering seems to be just a topic to fight over in a power struggle. blah blah blah.....

queenrhiannon
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Cigarette butts...
Posted: 5/12/2006 1:16:53 PM
When someone discards it on the ground, do you consider that littering...

I see it all the time and it irratates me to know end... or when someone flicks it out the car...

Excuse me - but that was your initial question right?

You brought up the fact is it littering? Others including me have brought up the fact there is worse litter out there, and worse things on the ground. We have also stated that its dangerous to throw it out the car window...
But yours and others name calling and anger towards smokers is what got this topic off track - just defending ourselves.

anything thrown on the street can be considered litter yes - but again - there are worse things on the streets than cigarette butts. Kids can't get aids from stepping on a butt.
 designingwoman
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Cigarette butts...
Posted: 5/12/2006 1:37:48 PM
@ queenrhiannon, you are quite welcome

Seems like there are two camps here, the buttheads who think it's okay to throw lit cigarettes out of cars--pun intended! and those who are either nonsmokers or considerate smokers who refrain from the abhorrent practice of throwing lit cigarettes out of car windows.

A little courtesy and consideration for others goes a very long way. Try it, you just might like it!

DW
 ooollly
Msg: 88
Cigarette butts...
Posted: 5/12/2006 3:45:05 PM
@ Queen

i think your the best well spoken one here. non smokers dont get it!!
im sorry to hear about your last 3-4 years ....
the condoms and needles are nasty,way more nasty then cig butts ....
they are too busy trying to take over the world .. to grab a clue ...
it would be like saying its like taking the thing you cherish the most and being able to see it but not touch it ....

once ones mind is set its not easy for them to see different
i understand why you went back to it and i would too ...
 ooollly
Msg: 96
Cigarette butts...
Posted: 5/15/2006 1:47:12 AM
there are NOT ashtrays EVERYWHERE .... not everybody lives downtown ....
yes you may call it littering
but with the ashtray thing you should take a better look at the city or do more research befor you spout off ....
its typical ...
like it has been said your just putting one group against another and your not going to get the responce you want ...
 DaveN
Msg: 97
Cigarette butts...
Posted: 5/15/2006 1:56:00 AM
Interesting.

I do not smoke, never have and I doubt I will.

But the current rabid attitude towards smokers is not what I think is civilized or intelligent.
Who are you to judge whether a smoker is inconsiderate or selfish based on whether they throw a butt on the ground? That seems pretty ignorant. And even if you feel it is that way, it's just your opinion.

The problem is that zealots like yourself get things like the no smoking in public places bills passed, claiming you are doing it "for the good of the general public". I can choose for myself thanks and the tools in city hall hardly reflect any of my views accurately. They certainly didn't when they passed that.

Smoking is a multi billion dollar industry, it is not going anywhere, I suggest you get used to it. Smokers will throw butts on the ground, I would prefer cops catch real crimes than this nonsense. The city is FULL of manical drivers barely avoiding death on a daily basis, that is a much bigger concern for me and my family than an old butt. Or maybe help the city put more ash trays out there so less butts hit the ground

Just my 2 cents.
 ooollly
Msg: 98
Cigarette butts...
Posted: 5/15/2006 2:43:58 AM
thankyou daven ....
im happy to see someone that can have a different opinion then the norm
 queenrhiannon
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Cigarette butts...
Posted: 5/16/2006 12:27:52 PM
My aunt got cancer - and she never smoked a day in her life - nor was she around smokers that much...
A lot more than just cigarettes can cause cancer.
Saying that we are holier than thou
Seriously Jo - thats the pot calling the kettle black.

And went I went out yesterday - I actually put out my ciggie but on my shoe - but waited until I walked by a cement cannister for ciggies to get rid of it (worried if put in trash - would ignite).

Yet - right in front of me - some chick gobbed on the sidewalk followed by her boyfriend - and two people threw their starbucks coffee cups onto the sidewalk.

Theres your litter.
 bcboy72
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Cigarette butts...
Posted: 5/16/2006 12:50:18 PM
slightly nauseated and a bit sick to my stomach....I don't smoke...thanks Jolie....
 optimismfirst
Msg: 116
Cigarette butts...
Posted: 4/6/2012 11:19:11 AM
its the most disgusting kind of litter.
Im iffy about even dating a smoker but when i see that, its time to walk away fast.
Show ALL Forums  > Alberta  >